Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

another tax question

• 04-06-2009 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

Im sorry if im asking a question thats been answered to death, but since tax is only 3 words, the forum wont search for it....

i am buying a car from a dealer and will be paying this week to pick up next week. (Got a sweet trade in price with them).

anyway, the tax on the car i am buying expired 01 09.

i am wondering two things:

1. i do not want to pay the tax for 01 - 06 09 as i didnt own it. how do i get them not to make me pay that when im taxing it?

2. since the tax has expired, and if they send the vlc to shannon, i wont be able to tax it for a while.

i told them i wouldnt mind giving them 3 months tax and they paid it themselves so that i wouldnt have to struggle with waiting for the vlc.

anybody any insights how i should sort out those 2 issues?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

1. You only have to tax it from the month you buy it.

2. Get the dealer to write "Shure, you'll be grand!" on a piece of paper, and tuck that into the holder until your tax disc arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

thanks, what form should i be using and how to indicate or make sure they dont charge me for the 5 months it wasnt taxed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

no form required, the date of transfer of ownership will be on the reg cert for the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

You dont need to do anything to stop them charging you jan - june. Your only liable to the tax from the day you bought the car. (i.e. from june on)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Be careful though......

If you buy in June , make sure you tax it in June.

I got stung by this , I purchased a car at the end of April , I got the log book through and everything around the 10th May. Went into my local tax office to pay on the 17th, they stung me for 1 months ' back tax ' ie I had to pay double for April , even though there was NO way I could tax it in April .

I could of course got a form signed from the Garda saying I didn't drive it , ie lie . But

a) I had queued nearly 2 hrs , and taken time off work to get this tax
    b) I don't like to lie ( I know silly isn't it ! )

• Advertisement

so basically, i buy it on the 16th of june, send off the vlc, drive it even though the tax has expired and wait for the new reg to come in, then go and tax it?

a letter from the dealer for the date of purchase should be enough?

The log book will have the date of change of ownership on it....

Thats what you need. You are only liable for tax from the first day of the month you purchased the car, so if you got it on the 10th June then you have to get tax from the 1st June etc

Make sure you get down to the local office before the end of the month otherwise it will cost you extra.

Yes keep the reciept ( usually a big green form ) in the car incase you get pulled. No Garda will do you for not having tax for the first few weeks .....( I say that no doubt someone will now say some jobsworth did do them )

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Reading through this as I am in similar circumstance. Here is whats on motortax.ie

Change Of Vehicle Ownership
    Transferred to an Individual on : 26/05/2009
    Notified on : 26/05/2009

Vehicle Registration Certificate
    Most recent Vehicle Registration Certificate issued on : 04/06/2009

Does that mean I have to tax it for all the month of May, even though it wasnt driven (excluding driving it back from Cork after it was bought).

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

OP, I'd think the best option would be to give the garage a cheque for a year worth of tax. Get them to tax it for you - they'll declare it off the road and pay the tax from the month of sale to you.

Then when you collect it you'll have a disk in the window and you can let them process the change of ownership without you having to stress about driving around with no tax.
    Davidth88 wrote: »
    Went into my local tax office to pay on the 17th, they stung me for 1 months ' back tax ' ie I had to pay double for April

How do you mean double? One months back tax is 10% of the annual road tax, so it's not that much more expensive...

Hi,

Ill look at the figures again , but basically I got a tax disk for a year ( ending in April ) so in effect I paid for April there . I then also had to pay 28 euro ( or something like that ) extra in ' back tax ' .

So I paid for April twice .

In effect I was fined for something that I couldn't avoid , unless I lied .

I have now vowed never to buy a car that doesn't have a current tax disk .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I think you're over-complicating that Davidth88.

You paid for 12 months, just like you should have.

You also had to pay for one "back month" during which you used the car without a disk (beyond your control, I know). That month cost you €28 instead of the usual €23.33.

It's hardly punitive and you definitely didn't pay for anything twice.

If you had gotten to the tax office in April, you wouldn't have paid any back tax but you would have gotten a disk that was valid until 31st March next year.
    Either way, you'll have to pay for next Aprils tax, on this disk or on next years one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Hi,

Ill look at the figures again , but basically I got a tax disk for a year ( ending in April ) so in effect I paid for April there . I then also had to pay 28 euro ( or something like that ) extra in ' back tax ' .

So I paid for April twice .
    Your tax disc is valid until the end of April 2009, it therefore started on the 1st of May. You only paid for April 2008 once.

Ohhh I see what you mean.

dohhhhh

Still rankles a bit though .

on that note

i got my VLC in.

id like to go down to smithfield to pay the tax, what forms do i need?RF100A? what should i be filling in?can i actually go down and pay it?what should i bring with me?

if ever i paid by post, what should i send together with the rf100a (if ever its rf100a i need to send?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

If you don't intend on using the vehicle while waiting on the vlc then just get the guards to stamp the form for non-use period.
    AFAIK you can't drive it without there being a current tax disc displayed

no no, i am driving it, i want to tax it from 06/09 no problem as i bought it last week. i have the dealer invoice/receipt if ever stopped. therefore since the tax 01/09 expired, i want to pay from 06/09.

what form should i use and can i go down to the motor tax office in smithfield to pay the tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

Spipov wrote: »
    no no, i am driving it, i want to tax it from 06/09 no problem as i bought it last week. i have the dealer invoice/receipt if ever stopped. therefore since the tax 01/09 expired, i want to pay from 06/09.

what form should i use and can i go down to the motor tax office in smithfield to pay the tax?
    This is the form you need to use https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf

Advertisement