Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palmerston/ Palmerstown

• 04-06-2009 6:06pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What is the place actually called?

I thought it was with the W, but a lot of the new signs that have been put up along the N4 seem to have forgotten the letter although they are still not consitent in their dropping of the dubya.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

currently Palmerston is correct but most people/signs use Palmerstown there is a proposal to officially change it to Palmerstown

http://www.sdcc.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=382&Itemid=53

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yup, manc is right, many years ago when the New N4 (dual-carriageway) was built, a few signs appeared saying 'Palmerston', and the locals went mad (understandably). My first memory of this was a sign under the new footbridge at the bottom of Kennelsfort Road opposite Vincent L Brown's. These new signs seem to further cement that idea.

Residents in parts of Lucan have the same problem. For most of it's history old 'Dodsboro' has been exactly that, now apparently, it's Doddsborough. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Yup, manc is right, many years ago when the New N4 (dual-carriageway) was built, a few signs appeared saying 'Palmerston', and the locals went mad (understandably). My first memory of this was a sign under the new footbridge at the bottom of Kennelsfort Road opposite Vincent L Brown's. These new signs seem to further cement that idea.

Residents in parts of Lucan have the same problem. For most of it's history old 'Dodsboro' has been exactly that, now apparently, it's Doddsborough. :(

I live in DODSBORO road.

Although I get letters with both spelling, I use Dodsboro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I live in DODSBORO road.

Although I get letters with both spelling, I use Dodsboro.

As do I, my best mate lived on Dodsboro road when I was growing up, near the grotto! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

r3nu4l wrote: »
    As do I, my best mate lived on Dodsboro road when I was growing up, near the grotto! :)

Which house number? I'm fairly close to the grotto :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks lads. I always wondered what it was supposed to be called given the signs on the N4 have both names. Glad if it is going to be officially changed to Palmerstown.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Strange that I'd never seen any "ton" signs until now though when they are seemingly about to officialy change to the "town" version.

Advertisement