Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locking your doors

• 04-06-2009 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Simple one maybe. I always lock the doors in my car when I get in. It's a habit I've got into living around the city and the amount of weirdos hanging around traffic lights etc.

Was driving long distance there last week with a mate and he commented on it. He suggested maybe it wasn't the safest thing to do in case we got into a crash or something as it would prevent people from (a) helping us or (b) us getting out.

Any thoughts on the issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Some cars automatically lock after setting off. If you crash, the fire brigade nearly always cut the roof now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My Clio locked the doors on its own. Most doors are slightly bent in a head on crash and won't open anyway.

The Fire services can tear your car open like a drinks can in seconds anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A lot of cars will unlock the doors as the pretensioners fire in a crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I always lock my doors, mainly because they are locked any because the central locking doesn't work. But I never leave them open anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My doors automatically lock about 10 seconds after I set off. You can disable this feature or set the delay before they lock via the OBC. On my old cars without this feature I always locked the doors out of habbit due to having a young child in the rear.

Most doors automatically unlock these days too when the OBC senses an impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Mine also autolock at 10kmph. Its a very handy feature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Most do autolock after 10 or 15 km/h. They will also unlock if told to by one of the various crash sensors. Some cars such as older VWs (like Limerick mans) have this facility but it needs to be turned on via a diagnostic tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭garyegt

my clifford alarm always locks the doors automatically, its handy but also annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mine autolock above 20km/h IIRC. I lock them manually if in slow traffic somewhere dodgy, though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I always keep mine locked driving in Dublin ever since a guy got into the passenger seat at a set of traffic lights one time and refused to get out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

Skyuser wrote: »
    Some cars automatically lock after setting off. If you crash, the fire brigade nearly always cut the roof now anyway.
    I don't like cars that do this.
    I feel locked in.... or something, and feel like I can't escape.
    Surely there is a security issue if there was an accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Surely that's been answered already?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As already mentioned most cars unlock instantaniously once the car senses an impact.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Always lock my doors when I get in the car. Got kinda car jacked once, wont let it happen again lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I always lock mine when i get in too.

Mate of mine was picking up his gf in town late one night when a drunken couple opened the back doors and got in while he was stopped at lights thinking he was a taxi. Luckily he had no hassle getting them out, but who says he/anyone might be so lucky next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

My car doors lock automatically when the car gets to 10 kph. I think this is a great feature when driving in Dublin city - no worries about random strangers getting into you car when you are stopped in traffic.

If you open one of the front doors from the inside, it unlocks all the doors, or there is a button next to the hazzard switch which unlocks them.

IIRC they unlock automatically when the car is in a collition, but I am not about to test that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

P.C. wrote: »
    My car doors lock automatically when the car gets to 10 kph. I think this is a great feature when driving in Dublin city - no worries about random strangers getting into you car when you are stopped in traffic.

well if they only lock when you are traveling above 10 kmph then surely you do have to worry about a randomer getting in to your car when you are stopped in traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My doors lock automatically but I used to always lock myself in.

When I see scangers I normally check my doors are locked even though they always will be.

Remember the days of having to lean over to try and open the rear passenger door pin to let somebody in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

green123 wrote: »
    well if they only lock when you are traveling above 10 kmph then surely you do have to worry about a randomer getting in to your car when you are stopped in traffic

If you thought about it.....im sure their like mine and stay locked until you open them yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I've only had Renaults that had the autolocks feature but pulling the front internal handles opens the locks anyway, so theres no real way you are locked in unless you dotn use the handles to get out:)
    green123 wrote: »

They dont unlock and lock every time you dip under 10kmph. Once they lock they stay locked till on yourself.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    They dont unlock and lock every time you dip under 10kmph. Once they lock they stay locked till on yourself.

Mine are a bit unreliable at doing that... at least in my van, but it is French ;)

You can get locks that do lock/unlock based on speed, they're fitted to LTI taxis (classic 'london black cab' units). Never seen one in a passenger car though.

MYOB wrote: »

You can get locks that do lock/unlock based on speed, they're fitted to LTI taxis (classic 'london black cab' units). Never seen one in a passenger car though.

I was running on the assumption we werent talking to British Cabbies.:)

Does the speedo on your van stop workign at all?

I have an issue with the mothers clio at the minute, the speedo sensor is faulty (I must get around to changing it) so it comes and goes when your driving sometimes. I'd say its just loose or theres a bit of water ingress. But when it doesnt work , obviously the speedo doesnt show the speed but it'll kick in after a short time when your driving then the doors will lock.

Good thing I thought about that,think i'll get under the car tomorrow and have a look at the sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

On the doors unlocking in an accident.

I had a '05 Almera that didn't have the auto-lock-at-a-set-speed, but it did have a handy button on the door to lock the doors. I had the doors locked with the button and I had "cause" to test the active and passive safety systems in the car.

The doors unlocked automatically in the accident, as well as the boot, but didn't open.

The airbag hurt mind......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Mine Lock Automatically to which is annoying! because passengers nearly pull the handles off when trying to get out you have to hit the button to open them or pull the handle twice on the front passenger Door! im getting this Disabled via Vagcom soon!

Seat Ibiza btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

I never heard of doors automatically locking when you go over 10km/h!!
    I think Id find that fairly annoying tbh. I never lock the doors when I'm driving nor does anyone else that I know who drives either!:rolleyes:

Maybe its mainly associated with within the Dublin region perhaps? (dont mean to insult anyone!:o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm in Cork, and I still find it a huge advantage to have a car that autolocks over 10kph. As others said, it's a security thing - no one can get into your car, or haul you out of it and carjack you. And in the event of an accident, they'll auto-unlock too.

How anyone could argue against having auto-locks is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Mine locks itself when you turn ignition on, unlocks when you turn it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I only lock mine if in a dodgy area or if I'm in Dublin. Never bother otherwise.
    Everyone seems fully confident that they'll open no problem in a crash! I'd say it depends a lot on the crash! And it can take a long time for the firebrigade to get to the scene. I'd rather have the option of someone else hauling me out of the car if a fire had started rather than saying "ah don't worry, the fire brigade will get me out. They should be here any minute now...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

ned78 wrote: »
    I'm in Cork, and I still find it a huge advantage to have a car that autolocks over 10kph. As others said, it's a security thing - no one can get into your car, or haul you out of it and carjack you. And in the event of an accident, they'll auto-unlock too.

How anyone could argue against having auto-locks is beyond me.

Yeah I can see how it would be an advantage but I was just saying how I never heard of it before! I'm not arguing against having them!;)

• Advertisement

martydunf wrote: »
    I never heard of doors automatically locking when you go over 10km/h!!
    I think Id find that fairly annoying tbh.

Why so? Theres not diference to you in the car because to get out you just pull the handle as normal and the car opens. The doors just cant be opened from outside unless you push the unlock button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My Civic doesn't autolock, but I just use the button on the driver's door that locks all the doors when I'm driving in town at night (or in certain ****holes at any time of day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Mine autolock over 10kph which I think is handy as it locks the boot too which can be handy if there is anything in there. If i manually unlock them then the boot stays locked also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Thoie wrote: »
    I always keep mine locked driving in Dublin ever since a guy got into the passenger seat at a set of traffic lights one time and refused to get out.

So......is he still in your car? :D

If not, how did you convince him it was in his best interest to vacate your passenger seat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Biro wrote: »
    I only lock mine if in a dodgy area or if I'm in Dublin. Never bother otherwise.
    Everyone seems fully confident that they'll open no problem in a crash! I'd say it depends a lot on the crash! And it can take a long time for the firebrigade to get to the scene. I'd rather have the option of someone else hauling me out of the car if a fire had started rather than saying "ah don't worry, the fire brigade will get me out. They should be here any minute now...."

If the auto unlock doesn't work you could always pop the button to open the door. If your stuck in a car with the doors locked and there's a fire I doubt anyone would be worried about breaking the window to open the door.

I always lock my doors when I get into the car, don't have autolock, it's part of my routine. Start car, lock doors, seat belt then pull off.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Mostly city driving so I have got into the habit of locking my doors too. Wouldn't usually do it when I get in but will probably remember it when stopped at the first traffic lights. used to be more people begging at traffic lights which I think prompted me to lock the doors...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I never had reason to lock doors while driving, hope I never will.

And you don't have a fire extinguisher in the passenger compartment like someone that safety conscious should? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

I never did until a few days ago when somebody opened the door to my car when I was driving in town. I will always now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

I always look them going around at night or in rough areas.

Kinda want someone to hop in beside me some day so i can hop out and deadlock them in, then ring the gards, the look on their face when they realise the handles wont work anymore would be priceless!!!

keefg wrote: »
    So......is he still in your car? :D

If not, how did you convince him it was in his best interest to vacate your passenger seat?

I sold the car around him 10 years later ;)

It happened at the old crossroads in Dundrum - I was stopped at the lights, just outside a bus stop. A bus behind me wanted to pull in, so when I sat there after the lights had changed, eventually after much tooting and harsh words, the bus driver got out to tell me how he felt about me. When I explained what was happening the bus driver and some random passersby made a few suggestions to my surprise passenger. While in the literal sense he did obviously leave the car eventually, it took over 20 minutes to get him out.

• Advertisement

I sold the car around him 10 years later ;)

It happened at the old crossroads in Dundrum - I was stopped at the lights, just outside a bus stop. A bus behind me wanted to pull in, so when I sat there after the lights had changed, eventually after much tooting and harsh words, the bus driver got out to tell me how he felt about me. When I explained what was happening the bus driver and some random passersby made a few suggestions to my surprise passenger. While in the literal sense he did obviously leave the car eventually, it took over 20 minutes to get him out.

Did he offer any explanation as to why he sat in your car and why he felt he didnt have to get out?

Stekelly wrote: »
    Did he offer any explanation as to why he sat in your car and why he felt he didnt have to get out?

I've always assumed he was just mad or on drugs. He was well dressed (shirt and suit kinda thing) - looked like he was on his way to work in an office job. His main point seemed to be that he'd called a taxi, and wanted to go to town and that I couldn't refused to take him.

Discussions along the lines of "I'm not a taxi" and "My car is the most un-taxi looking thing ever" didn't really sway him. To be honest he was more obstinate than threatening. I often wondered later if he was having a nervous breakdown or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

I'd rather have the option of someone else hauling me out of the car if a fire had started rather than saying "ah don't worry, the fire brigade will get me out. They should be here any minute now...."

As far as I know, fires mostly only start in crashed cars on TV - they're quite rare in real life!

Also - and I'm sure the vast majority of people know this, but thought I'd mention it anyways as it does still happen - if you come across a car crash, DO NOT attempt to move the victims, there's a significant danger of worsening any spinal damage etc etc. (Obviously if a fire did start, and there was no sign of the emergency services, that's a different situation.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

timmywex wrote: »
    I always look them going around at night or in rough areas.

Kinda want someone to hop in beside me some day so i can hop out and deadlock them in, then ring the gards, the look on their face when they realise the handles wont work anymore would be priceless!!!

Until they pull out their lad and start pissing all over your seats and carpet

I always feel that if there's a crash, and I'm unconscious, and people desperately want to get into the car before the emergency vehicles turn up, then can always feck a rock/spanner/small child/whatever through a window and open the doors that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

I always feel that if there's a crash, and I'm unconscious, and people desperately want to get into the car before the emergency vehicles turn up, then can always feck a rock/spanner/small child/whatever through a window and open the doors that way.

One of my fears is of that happening to me if I was in a crash - unless they've got medical training, they're likely to make things a whole lot worse!!

aoibhebree wrote: »
    One of my fears is of that happening to me if I was in a crash - unless they've got medical training, they're likely to make things a whole lot worse!!

To be honest (and this is not a medical opinion!) while I absolutely agree that you shouldn't move people, I think the chances of that happening to you are relatively low. In the majority of crashes, the occupants of the car will get up and walk out themselves. In the next big bunch of crashes, someone will open the door and say "how'rye love, will I call an ambulance, are you alright?"

In the comparatively few really serious crashes, there will most likely be other injuries as well, and 99% of people, whether knowing about the spinal thing or not, will wander around helplessly, not even knowing where to start, and won't even consider trying to move the person.

For me a bigger worry, with a more likely chance of happening, is people deciding to remove a motorcyclist's helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Fire fighters always remove the roof when the occupants are still inside the car and are showing signs of back problems, I wouldn't worry about this sort of stuff.

I lock my doors, and I don't have central locking, I am still in the day where you have to lean over and open the door for your passenger.

I always lock my doors for some reason, habit maybe, and I don't worry about accidents, I never plan on having one.

However as the above poster said about moving somebody and causing further spinal injuries, I would have to agree, and again about removing a motorcyclists helmet, some people don't have a clue and think they are doing something right, the damage they can cause can be horrific.

mcgowaner wrote: »
    Fire fighters always remove the roof when the occupants are still inside the car and are showing signs of back problems, I wouldn't worry about this sort of stuff.

However as the above poster said about moving somebody and causing further spinal injuries, I would have to agree, and again about removing a motorcyclists helmet, some people don't have a clue and think they are doing something right, the damage they can cause can be horrific.

I think aoibhebree was more worried about passersby forcibly dragging people from their vehicle before the emergency services arrive. It's still not something I'd be terribly worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

mcgowaner wrote: »

I lock my doors, and I don't have central locking, I am still in the day where you have to lean over and open the door for your passenger.

I always lock my doors for some reason, habit maybe, and I don't worry about accidents, I never plan on having one.

Have you ever actually heard of someone who DID plan an accident?
    Anyway, it's for fire reasons that you might need to remove someone from their car before the fire brigade comes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement