Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game are RIP OFF MERCHANTS

Options
  • 04-06-2009 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭

hi whats the story with game selling games at rip off prices for second hand games?

i was in there today looking for something different to play, i went in and was looking at star wars the force unleashed and the guy asked me foe 35 euro i then found out i could buy it in extra game for 25 and they are next door to each other, i asked the guy behind the counter for a refund literally 2 minutes after he sold it to me and he refused me point blank i mean what a waster!!

anyways just wondering anyone else have the same problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

In fairness, you'll be hard pressed to find a shop that doesn't rip you off with second hand games.

And isn't it illegal for them to refuse to take the game back? They don't have to give you your money, but they can give you money off something else instead.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Nothing illegal in refusing to refund a customer who has simply changed their mind like it would be the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

If the shops were right beside each other, why would you not check the price in each before purchasing? When I want something in particular, I'll price check everywhere within walking distance, often near half the city if I'm in Dublin!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nothing illegal in refusing to refund a customer who has simply changed their mind like it would be the case here.

Actually I think it is illegal for the shop to refuse a refund on a good if the customer has changed their mind and hasn't used, opened or damaged the goods. I even think there's quite a long time frame for this as well, like 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Actually I think it is illegal for the shop to refuse a refund on a good if the customer has changed their mind and hasn't used, opened or damaged the goods. I even think there's quite a long time frame for this as well, like 2 weeks.

Nope. Its a good will policy.

What you are thinking off is long distance sales. Anyway i thought GAME had policy to take back games if their sticker sealing the case is intact.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Definitely no obligation to refund for a shop if someone changes their mind. Under distance selling regulations for internet stores / mail order etc and for some services there is an obligation to refund if the customer changes their mind within a certain time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

Game have a policy of NOT taking any game back unless at a lower price. My friend bought a new game and found out it was cheaper in HMV and went back to Game to return it with the receipt and game packaging all intact. The guy said they dont take any game back at all, as its their policy, however they could buy it back for €20 or something like that!!!! Another time, I went in the DAY I bought GTA4 (On the day of release) and it was damaged and they refused to return/refund/replace the item. They offered to try to fix it for a fiver. Which I refused. Then they told me to get a refund/replacement I had to goto Rockstar North and show them the game and the receipt and hope they will be kind enough to give me my refund/replacement. Game are scum and should never be shopped at. I've never heard anything positive about it... My Aunt was shopping to buy me a game and knew i liked fps games and said this and the guy tried selling her a racing game which she refused... Seriously avoid them.... I can't understand why people still shop there....

In the OP's case if you had a receipt and the game had still the same stuff on it, go get the manager say the member of staff wouldn't take a return on this game WHEN you bought it. Thats your best bet. Make a big fuss about it and it might work...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They only have to refund/exchange/give credit if the product is defective.

Burial wrote: »

In the OP's case if you had a receipt and the game had still the same stuff on it, go get the manager say the member of staff wouldn't take a return on this game WHEN you bought it. Thats your best bet. Make a big fuss about it and it might work...

Appreciate the merit of your post but as soon as you have handed your payment over, even if it's 2 seconds later, the store are not legally obliged to give you a refund because you've changed your mind.

Whether thats wise or good customer service ( which obviously we all know it isn't ) is a different issue of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

Appreciate the merit of your post but as soon as you have handed your payment over, even if it's 2 seconds later, the store are not legally obliged to give you a refund because you've changed your mind.

Whether thats wise or good customer service ( which obviously we all know it isn't ) is a different issue of course.

I know, but thats bad on their part. I presume they've lost a customer for life now....

• Advertisement

And got themselves an unflattering thread here too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I just checked their page:
    Game wrote:
    GAME operates a 28 day returns policy.

* Any software may be returned for refund or exchange within 28 days of the despatch date, providing that the seal remains unbroken on the software.
    * Faulty software where the seal has been broken may be returned up to 3 months after the despatch date.
    * Hardware or peripherals may be opened for the purpose of inspection (but not used) and may be returned for refund or exchange within 28 days of the despatch date (7 days for TVs). Please note that hardware must contain every component part (cables, memory sticks etc.) before it can be accepted as a return.
    * Faulty hardware may be returned for a like-for-like exchange up to 12 months after the despatch date.
    * This does not affect your statutory rights.

So, the guy was obliged under the companies policies to let you exchange the game if it was steal sealed. You could send a strongly worded email off to their HQ (and don't say you wanted to buy the game somewhere else. Just say you wanted to exchange it for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 charlie40

the real rip off is what they actually pay for these second hand games.was at counter in game stop and they offered somebody 6euros for their 3 games.they then sell them at these prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

thanks guys,

its only a tenner i know but it just pissed me off as game was unopened etc!

im never gonna buy anything in one of there stores again, there staff are so rude and unhelpful!

game on dawson street have a guy i had a run in with before where a guym im sure you know - overweight with a dirty scruffy beard- told me to piss off in front of 2 other customers as i was trying to pre book call of duty WAW he said to me i dont have time to do it so piss off for a while!

i was on to game head offices and was told their staff were very unlikely to talk to a customer in that way!

so to you scruffy smelly shop assistant im sure someone will pass this on to you then how dare you!

BTW im starting a club called i hate those robbing feckers in game anyone wanna join?

best of luck to all and thanks for your time!

Ray ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

the guy asked me foe 35 euro i then found out i could buy it in extra game for 25 and they are next door to each other

More fool you for not checking next door before purchasing then.

I don't remember the last time I ever bought a game in an Irish high-street retailer at all, never mind in Game of all places.

FruitLover wrote: »
    More fool you for not checking next door before purchasing then.

I don't remember the last time I ever bought a game in an Irish high-street retailer at all, never mind in Game of all places.
    i didnt know the other shop was around the corner!!!!!

do you go to every different shop for everything you buy to check prices? i think not!!!!!

also i didnt expect them to tell me i cant return an item that still had their seal intact! i wish i had the time you seem to have on your hands for shopping but im busy working!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

hi whats the story with game selling games at rip off prices for second hand games?

i was in there today looking for something different to play, i went in and was looking at star wars the force unleashed and the guy asked me foe 35 euro i then found out i could buy it in extra game for 25 and they are next door to each other, i asked the guy behind the counter for a refund literally 2 minutes after he sold it to me and he refused me point blank i mean what a waster!!

anyways just wondering anyone else have the same problem?
    Why you didnt take 3 minutes out of your busy schedule to shop prices 10 yards away, is beyond me. Wether you knew the shop was there or not. Im well into the habit, after being burned that way once or twice, to sleep on my purchase wants. And then sleep on them more. And more. And more. I spent 4 months "Sleeping on" getting a new mouse. Worth it too, because I got it when it was $30 off the asking price.

Similarly, understand your consumer rights. And know Store Policy. Particularly when buying online, always check their Refund Policy before checking out.

Overheal wrote: »
    Why you didnt take 3 minutes out of your busy schedule to shop prices 10 yards away, is beyond me. Wether you knew the shop was there or not. Im well into the habit, after being burned that way once or twice, to sleep on my purchase wants. And then sleep on them more. And more. And more. I spent 4 months "Sleeping on" getting a new mouse. Worth it too, because I got it when it was $30 off the asking price.

Similarly, understand your consumer rights. And know Store Policy. Particularly when buying online, always check their Refund Policy before checking out.
    i see your point and take it on board!

but to be honest i cant understand game like why are they treating customers like **** i mean time should come for them too if things dont improve all over the board! btw thanks for the advice whether it was a scolding or not lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

What exactly did you say to the guy when you asked for your money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I spent 4 months "Sleeping on" getting a new mouse. Worth it too, because I got it when it was $30 off the asking price.

Thats not quite the same thing. He didn't check the shop next door and got ripped off. Bit idiotic but it happens.

I'm not having a go or anything.....but Im not sure I could put up with a mouse I didn't want for four months....ever day....to save 30 quid.

There is prudence and then there is being a bit mean.

• Advertisement

Its all about being your own Devils Advocate ;)" I don't really need a new mouse. This one still works fine."

Then actually, in the last day or two before I bought the new one is when the old one bought the farm. The buttons stopped working and the feet/sliders wore off 6 months before that, I'd been holding on with sellotape patches :p but the loss of buttons was critical. So then when I really needed one I knew what I wanted, and I knew how much to pay for it. Luck happened to be on sale, and I had store credit to burn.

Similarly I'd been interested in seeing what the hype about L4D is, and then finally freaky friday comes and goes with 40% off. And there ya go. More money saved, and delayed gratification. Very, very often, I will put off buying new titles I wanna play bad, knowing in a few months or even a year, it will be cheaper, and broken in. Good way to avoid flops, too. Imagine if I had bought Final Fantasy X-2? *shudder* for the asking launch price no less.

And come to think of it Mirrors Edge is now just $20. Ill be sleeping on that one now..

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    What exactly did you say to the guy when you asked for your money back?
    hi kinetic i explained that they were a tenner more expensive than the shop around the corner, i then filled him full of bull telling him i buy all my games lol from game lol! he just said i cant refund you anyways and he then said what is the problem with the game, and i said well i would just like my money back and that im only gone from the shop 5 minutes etc and he then said i can take it back for store credit or some cash!

at that point my head was sore so i argued and argued my point and eventually he gave me store credit for the game but thats not the point i really dont want to buy anything there again!

so now i have a voucher for a store that i hate so i think il end up buying something to get rid of it!

BTW i wasnt messing about the one in dawson street the staff there are pigs maybe im thick to shop there but thats what a hectic impulse does to you!

Its all about being your own Devils Advocate ;) I don't really need a new mouse. This one still workd fine. Then actually, in the last day or two before I bought the new one is when the old one bought the farm. The buttons stopped working and the feet/sliders wore off 6 months before that, I'd been holding on with sellotape patches :p but the loss of buttons was critical. So then when I really needed one I knew what I wanted, and I knew how much to pay for it. Luck happened to be on sale, and I had store credit to burn.

Similarly I'd been interested in seeing what the hype about L4D is, and then finally freaky friday comes and goes with 40% off. And there ya go. More money saved, and delayed gratification. Very, very often, I will put off buying new titles I wanna play bad, knowing in a few months or even a year, it will be cheaper, and broken in. Good way to avoid flops, too. Imagine if I had bought Final Fantasy X-2? *shudder* for the asking launch price no less.

And come to think of it Mirrors Edge is now just $20. Ill be sleeping on that one now..
    the only reason i buy new releases is becuse im a collectors edition junkie lol

in my honest opinion dont go near mirrors edge believe me i sold it after two days i hated it!!!!

Kirby wrote: »
    Thats not quite the same thing. He didn't check the shop next door and got ripped off. Bit idiotic but it happens.

I'm not having a go or anything.....but Im not sure I could put up with a mouse I didn't want for four months....ever day....to save 30 quid.

There is prudence and then there is being a bit mean.
    i know it might seem mad not checking but we all make stupid mistakes and so we live by the sword and die by the light saber oops i mean sword!!

i suppose i was lucky to get store credit in the end but i now hate the organisation!!!!!

Sigh. Collectors Editions :rolleyes: its sad yet effective marketing. "Preorder AoC and get free Beers!!!!!!!!1111111!!!1!!!!!1111ONE"

But of course it emerged, beers dont do anything. They didnt even blur your screen, or make you say silly things. Or stumble. Apparently, as I learned from friends on Ventrilo, it just took up space in your inventory. Whoop Dee Doo. Then the Golden Gears of War Rifles. And Unique Wargear for DoWII. The truth is though these items are never all that Sensational.

The collectors edition of Bioshock came with a big daddy. I wanted one so was happy to pay it :p

And if I recall, The assasins creed one came with a figure too. Didn't get it but Im pretty sure it did come with one.

to each is own. I find the collecters editions a bit too gimmicky for my taste. FFVII never shipped with a collectors edition and yet, ever since it game out, the collector figures have been selling in the back of game mags ever since. Truth is if you really love what you play, youll get the stuff later regardless.

Im still thinking about that Headcrab plushie. Does it fit on your head?

I agree with the sentiment. Usually its junk. A Pog or a map or some concept art thats already on the net....or something trivial......Empire total war had six extra units for example. Waste of time.

But figures are cool. If more collectors edition used them, I would buy more of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

Stephen wrote: »
    They only have to refund/exchange/give credit if the product is defective.
    I was half an hour waiting behind a customer complaining about a scratched disk and they refused to take it back saying that they always show the disk before selling so it must have been the console that caused the problem.
    When i got to the desk to buy a game the same salesman never showed me the disk.

• Advertisement

I'd never let some counter jockey spin me a line like that. Scratches are natural....the first time you take a game out and play it, its going to have some form of scratch on it. If the scratch was bad enough to stop the game from loading, it warranted replacing.

Five years ago, it wouldn't have been a problem. Nowadays, all the retailers are terrified of games being copied and returned but really, its a baseless fear. It never happens. It only takes ONE copy and millions of people have it. The idea that everyone is going out and copying their own games is laughable.

Advertisement