Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game are RIP OFF MERCHANTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Kirby wrote: »
    the first time you take a game out and play it, its going to have some form of scratch on it.

worked on a line, for about a week, that put together CD packages for games and software and they definitely can get scratched. Most of the time the final stage where the disc goes in the case is done manually by people on a line, and on more than a few occasions, people would drop them on the floor then put them in the case anyway (if I remember correctly this was some big xbox title at the time). Another thing I liked to do was put used finger cots under the disc for a little surprise for the buyer... I imagined the horrified faces of people thinking some dwarfs had had sex while packaging their disc :D

Oh, and in case you don't get it, this is what a finger cot looks like, we used them for picking up the discs so as not to leave prints on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

charlie40 wrote: »
    the real rip off is what they actually pay for these second hand games.was at counter in game stop and they offered somebody 6euros for their 3 games.they then sell them at these prices.
    buy off amazon or play.com then.....

play has free shiping

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

thanks guys,

its only a tenner i know but it just pissed me off as game was unopened etc!

im never gonna buy anything in one of there stores again, there staff are so rude and unhelpful!

game on dawson street have a guy i had a run in with before where a guym im sure you know - overweight with a dirty scruffy beard- told me to piss off in front of 2 other customers as i was trying to pre book call of duty WAW he said to me i dont have time to do it so piss off for a while!

i was on to game head offices and was told their staff were very unlikely to talk to a customer in that way!

so to you scruffy smelly shop assistant im sure someone will pass this on to you then how dare you!

BTW im starting a club called i hate those robbing feckers in game anyone wanna join?

best of luck to all and thanks for your time!

Ray ;)

I hate the putting new games in storage then placing the disk in the box again thing....

50+ euro should get you a fresh factory sealed copy

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Indeed. Only yesterday I bought Dragon Quest V for the DS 'new' from Game in Dawson Street. Took it home, fired it up and there's already a save file on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Indeed. Only yesterday I bought Dragon Quest V for the DS 'new' from Game in Dawson Street. Took it home, fired it up and there's already a save file on it.

What shape is the manual in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Just a note on people being refused exchanges on faulty 360 discs(and it's always 360 ones). The only ones I've ever seen refused have been ones that were laser burned to fcuk. After 2 seconds of discussion it always becomes clear that the dog/kid/whatever kicked the console while the disc was in the machine and the machine was on. That's not normal wear and tear. If your console damaged the disc a shop shouldn't have to take it back.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

efla wrote: »
    I hate the putting new games in storage then placing the disk in the box again thing....

50+ euro should get you a fresh factory sealed copy

We actually get in some new titles unsealed depending on the distributor and publisher. I know it's different than the shops using the cases as displays - which to be fair should mean they are slightly shop soiled when it comes to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What shape is the manual in?

Fine, although in the past I have refused to take manuals from them that are dog-eared, curled up and torn from being wrapped in elastic bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Game are the only bricks n mortar shop that have a half decent pc collection no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

... the best place I've found for preowned games is Xtra Vision.
    For example I picked up a copy of PES09 for €11.50. That's almost as cheap as renting it for a week!!:D

If you're looking for new games pre-order on play. much cheaper than the usual retailers.

Oh and on another point I've never had any problem returning games to Game.
    I've done it in a couple of stores too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

L31mr0d wrote: »
    worked on a line, for about a week, that put together CD packages for games and software and they definitely can get scratched. Most of the time the final stage where the disc goes in the case is done manually by people on a line, and on more than a few occasions, people would drop them on the floor then put them in the case anyway (if I remember correctly this was some big xbox title at the time). Another thing I liked to do was put used finger cots under the disc for a little surprise for the buyer... I imagined the horrified faces of people thinking some dwarfs had had sex while packaging their disc :D

Oh, and in case you don't get it, this is what a finger cot looks like, we used them for picking up the discs so as not to leave prints on them.
    lol just imagine taking your brand new copy of cod out and finding a mini condom lol brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Actually I think it is illegal for the shop to refuse a refund on a good if the customer has changed their mind and hasn't used, opened or damaged the goods. I even think there's quite a long time frame for this as well, like 2 weeks.

I thought that too...untill i was refused. I think though some places will give you an exchange if you have a receipt. but I guess its up to the shop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

hi kinetic i explained that they were a tenner more expensive than the shop around the corner, i then filled him full of bull telling him i buy all my games lol from game lol! he just said i cant refund you anyways and he then said what is the problem with the game, and i said well i would just like my money back and that im only gone from the shop 5 minutes etc and he then said i can take it back for store credit or some cash!

at that point my head was sore so i argued and argued my point and eventually he gave me store credit for the game but thats not the point i really dont want to buy anything there again!

so now i have a voucher for a store that i hate so i think il end up buying something to get rid of it!

BTW i wasnt messing about the one in dawson street the staff there are pigs maybe im thick to shop there but thats what a hectic impulse does to you!

You could've at least come up with a decent story so you could return it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Mousey- wrote: »
    .....play has free shiping

and a criminal sterling exchange rate, don't buy from play.

The OP was seriously treated badly by the Game staff, it proves that old marketing adage that a disgruntled customer will tell 10 people about their experience.....the OP has told about 20 times that.

I think it always makes sense to make sure that the customer leaves happy. Even if said customer should have shopped around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

what a load of horse crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    what a load of horse crap.

Now now fella, just because you work for (or used to, not sure) game there's no need to get all defensive. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

game on dawson street have a guy i had a run in with before where a guym im sure you know - overweight with a dirty scruffy beard- told me to piss off in front of 2 other customers as i was trying to pre book call of duty WAW he said to me i dont have time to do it so piss off for a while!

Jesus thats a unbelievable why would you pre book WAW....it's the biggest pile of crap ever released!

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

CombatCow wrote: »
    Jesus thats a unbelievable why would you pre book WAW....it's the biggest pile of crap ever released!

CC

Honestly, he goes out of his way to help the poor lad, and what happens?

Badmouthed.
    ON THE INTERNET.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Never shop in game unless I have too because I've found there to be better deals elsewhere but I've also found staff in Gamestop to be much friendlier people having had bad experiences in game a few times. But I've also noticed a certain staff member in game on dawson street who seriously needs to take a shower. Like I'm not trying to be bad here, but I've never seen someone who works in retail with such bad personal hygiene... doesnt exactly make me want to shop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Now now fella, just because you work for (or used to, not sure) game there's no need to get all defensive. :D

no still do. I work with the lad described and its quite unfair on him really. he would never speak to someone like that when working. The OP obviously just didnt get his way and is acting the bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Game are a little expensive but then I thought they did better trade-in values against the likes of Gamestop, so if your doing alot of trading in then its better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's sh**ehawks in nearly all Game stores. Funny to hear Comic Book Guy in Dawson Street getting a shout out, though. I used to work in Game, it's not as bad as he seems to make it out to be, considering he wouldn't get anywhere near as many loud kids in as Blanchardstown or the Ilac center.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I saw some one of the new console games was 59.99, and they had an opened 2nd hand copy beside it for 57.99. Can't imagine the poor chap returning it after a couple of days got anything close to that heh.

hasnt this opened a can of unhappy customers???:eek:

thanks for all the comments guys!

also i would like to point out that the guy in game never said piss off like PISS OFF just a gentle kinda piss off for a bit ok but it was still very unprofessional that is all i was pointing out, not that the guy was harrassing me ok?:mad: thanks for comments again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

also i would like to point out that the guy in game never said piss off like PISS OFF just a gentle kinda piss off for a bit ok but it was still very unprofessional that is all i was pointing out, not that the guy was harrassing me ok?:mad: thanks for comments again!

So what exactly did he say to you? That kinda changes things.

Was he in the middle of serving other customers or doing something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Shouldn't be saying that, even as a joke. Will get you the sack in most jobs....especially when dealing with customers. Bit of eejit to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ray-WILD CLAIMS-Caulwell changing his story, wha!

Saying piss-off in any context , serving the public is a bit thick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Stopped shopping in game when cod2 came out,He took the disks out ,i had a look, they looked ok ,i had more of my eyes on my 4 year old walking around the shop.
    So brought the game home and it would not install,brought it back 20 minutes later.he told me my cdrom must of scratched it.no refund,,the bouncer had to show me the door.
    shower of ****,i must of spent over 1000 in game over the years.
    I have never bought a thing in there since and never will.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ray-WILD CLAIMS-Caulwell changing his story, wha!

Saying piss-off in any context , serving the public is a bit thick though.
    no he was serving me and basically said piss off for a minute so i can serve this guy ok i was a customer too and i dreserve the same respect as anyone else!

BTW can a mod approach grayditch over wild claims comment ok grayditch MYOB!:mad:

Advertisement