Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game are RIP OFF MERCHANTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Are you for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

If you have an issue with a post report it, otherwise STFU and don't bring it up on thread. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Because I used to work in an XV I will put forward my experiences here. Never, ever have I or anyone I worked with told a customer to piss off (there are some exceptions: little scummers in the store etc) but never a genuine customer.

It must surely have been an exception for Ray, I mean the guy serving him couldn't possibly get away with doing that to everyone he serves.

I think it is the most obvious thing in the world that the store doesn't legally have to give you your money back unless it is faulty. Why should the store take back a product which is now used (and likely unsealed in many cases) just because the consumer changed his mind?

Anyway, never had anybody who was serving me ANYTHING tell me to piss off luckily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

no he was serving me and basically said piss off for a minute so i can serve this guy ok i was a customer too and i dreserve the same respect as anyone else!

BTW can a mod approach grayditch over wild claims comment ok grayditch MYOB!:mad:

So he was serving another customer and you were butting in trying to get served while he was doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I very rarely buy games in highstreet shops anymore and if I do it's only when they're having a sale or I got a gift voucher as a present. And then I hate getting the unsealed game as "new". There's almost always little scratches on the disc, marks on the manual etc. Why should I pay more for an inferior product when I can get a nice fresh sealed game from amazon, play.com, cd-wow or some other site?

As for play.com's exchange rate: it mightn't be the best at times but they do still often have some good deals for stuff, mightn't be quite as good it could be if I was buying in sterling but still better than town. I ordered the 5 disc Mission Impossible 1 - 3 set last week for €6.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Attol wrote: »
    So he was serving another customer and you were butting in trying to get served while he was doing that?
    no attol read my post he was serving me and he tried to get me out of the way to serve the other customer ok? please dont jump to conclusions!

;)
    Grayditch wrote: »
    Are you for real?
    no graybush im not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

noodler wrote: »
    I think it is the most obvious thing in the world that the store doesn't legally have to give you your money back unless it is faulty. Why should the store take back a product which is now used (and likely unsealed in many cases) just because the consumer changed his mind?

I've often gotten games that were new but unsealed from game retailers, including Game but I accept that you have to take it out of the box to display it and the CD must be stored for security.

I think a little more diligence with regard to taking in used games would halve the problems retailers get when a customer comes back with a faulty game, alteast the used ones. Just dont take in the really scratched ones, it always comes back to haunt you. Thats my 5 cents.

Can I have my 5 cents back now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

thanks guys,
    game on dawson street have a guy i had a run in with before where a guym im sure you know - overweight with a dirty scruffy beard- told me to piss off in front of 2 other customers as i was trying to pre book call of duty WAW he said to me i dont have time to do it so piss off for a while!

there is no way you're telling us the full story

there is no way you're telling us the full story
    judge if you want groutch thats your choice! thanks for that pointless add in there:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lantern

BTW i wasnt messing about the one in dawson street the staff there are pigs...

billkim.gif

Funny how Ray will take issue with a mild poke at him on here where he is able to defend himself and his character (or ask the mods to), yet will use terms like "pigs" to describe maybe 5 publicly identifiable people, who users here are in contact with from time to time.
    Calling them Pigs, like. Seriously.

Funny how Ray will take issue with a mild poke at him on here where he is able to defend himself and his character (or ask the mods to), yet will use terms like "pigs" to describe maybe 5 publicly identifiable people, who users here are in contact with from time to time.
    i dont have to answer to you graybush and i refuse to ok? thank you!

also why dont you back off users and instead of making ****ty sarcastic remarks try doing something creative with your day!

but seriously can you give it a break please im getting bored of your bull now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

basically said piss off

so what did he actually say ?

'I'm sorry sir I'm dealing with this customer at the moment could you give me two minutes thanks'

also this thread has gone miles off topic ok this wasnt started to question my character grayditch it was started to point out a couple of very important mistreating of customers by possibly the biggest game shop in this country, if anything it will draw attention to games behaviour in general!

also it will bring out a lot of unhappy customers!

now can i please call on a mod to close this thread as its not on target topic any more!:confused:

and my character is being put down by one or two users which is stupid as a couple of them im sure was mentioned work for game!

MooseJam wrote: »
    so what did he actually say ?

'I'm sorry sir I'm dealing with this customer at the moment could you give me two minutes thanks'
    he was serving me, two customers behind me and he wanted to serve others before me as it takes time to prebook and he said can you piss off for a minute so i can serve those customers!

it wasnt malicious but it was really unprofessional now maybe i shouldnt have singled the guy out for it but im pissed off with game in general so my rant about that guy maybe im wrong so sorry comic guy but i dont think i said he told me PISS OFF as in we dont want your custom it was just unprofessional and it needed to be pointed out aswell as the way they treated me over the game

now as i was saying that is off original topic!

also this thread has gone miles off topic ok this wasnt started to question my character grayditch it was started to point out a couple of very important mistreating of customers by possibly the biggest game shop in this country, if anything it will draw attention to games behaviour in general!

also it will bring out a lot of unhappy customers!

now can i please call on a mod to close this thread as its not on target topic any more!:confused:

and my character is being put down by one or two users which is stupid as a couple of them im sure was mentioned work for game!

You 2, stop trying to bait each other into an argument. If you have an issue with the other person's post then report instead of dragging a thread off topic.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    You 2, stop trying to bait each other into an argument. If you have an issue with the other person's post then report instead of dragging a thread off topic.
    thanks kinetic i started this thread for a reason anything on original topic?

BTW thanks to all for any genuine comments;)

I hardly went off topic. It was clearly related. I'm probably not going to stop calling Ray on his bullsh*t because just because you think I'm doing it to get him going. I hope you can decipher between calling someone out on absolute tripe whenever and.. well.. whatever you think I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

I suppose back on the original topic then - game may charge more than other shops. You should check the prices before buying.

If you don't it's on your own head and you can't rely on a shop to refund you. The staff aren't exactly going to bend over backwards to rack up a sale for a rival chain and imo shouldn't be expected to.

• Advertisement

I hardly went off topic. It was clearly related. I'm probably not going to stop calling Ray on his bullsh*t because just because you think I'm doing it to get him going. I hope you can decipher between calling someone out on absolute tripe whenever and.. well.. whatever you think I'm doing.

If you have an issue with what I said, then take it to Help Desk. Do not bring it up on this thread again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

This is not the place to debate what a mod has said.

WARNING, FOR EVERYBODY:
    BACK ON TOPIC OR YOU WILL BE BANNED. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS!

(missed Kinetic's reply at first, but same applies).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Simeadrach

"Game are rip off merchants"

Thats a bit harsh, in all fairness game do have some pretty sweet deals.
    Dead Space is only 20 quid at the mo and generally the new releases are around €45, not really a rip off from a Bricks n' mortar store is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/16/game-is-doing-well-during-hard-times/

Well there you go. no wonder they are doing so well. They Are rip off merchants.The price of preorder games is crazy. Only because they make the most money on them.

Simeadrach wrote: »
    "Game are rip off merchants"

Thats a bit harsh, in all fairness game do have some pretty sweet deals.
    Dead Space is only 20 quid at the mo and generally the new releases are around €45, not really a rip off from a Bricks n' mortar store is it?
    most games aremarked two for 45 or 29.99 on there own second hand that is really expensive in a lot of cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

HMV have been beating GAME on price for awhile now. Gamestop & Smyths on one or two items. What I hate is the reward card!!

£10 on it equals €10 in store. Cheaper to buy from their site though I won't be using them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Simeadrach

Fair point, their second hand is a bit crazy at times, but like I said about the new releases, they are usually pretty resonable, same price as HMV generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

I only bought one game ever off of GAME, a Premier Manager type game about five years ago for the Gameboy Advance. Basically there was something wrong with the game so that when you finished your first season, come the second season EVERY team in EVERY league turned into Huddersfield Town?!:confused:
    Right, fair enough I didn't keep the receipt, so I wasn't expecting a "sorry sir, we'll replace that straight away" type of answer, I wanted something to be done about the fact that the game was obviously faulty, and was still in the box with the GAME sticker on it.
    Like talking to a brick wall, "sorry sir, we have your money now so you might as well just get stuffed" was more or less the reply I kept getting. I even left my number for the Manager to call me a few times, thinking I might have more luck with a rational thinking adult than a student behind the counter, but alas no.
    So, as far as GAME go regarding me and my stubborn, begrudging principles....never.going.there.again.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

i didnt know the other shop was around the corner!!!!!

do you go to every different shop for everything you buy to check prices? i think not!!!!!

also i didnt expect them to tell me i cant return an item that still had their seal intact! i wish i had the time you seem to have on your hands for shopping but im busy working!:(

I'd go to all in distance and check online when I'm forking if it'll save me a few quid from 60 euro. I check online before leaving the house to see what the prices are there. Its handy especially if your going to the cinema anyway or doing something else, just detour into the gaming isle or a nearby game store and see what offers they have on. You'll lose like 5 minutes out of your day doing it and could save a lot of money.

This is why we get ripped off so much in this country. Too many people won't walk 5 minutes to compare prices/services.

Its a recession there are massive bargains to be had by checking shops as different ones will have special offers on stock they want rid of or on latest releases depending on the demand they expect.

Many shops are selling games at 40 euro now instead of 60 euro in other shops and games prices are falling faster after initial release so if you wait two weeks you can get a good bargain. Seriously try it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Im suprised there has never been a thread about that really good looking skinny guy in Dawson st and how awesome he is. :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement