Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election text messages

Options
  • 04-06-2009 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Got a text from libertas yesterday promoting their candidates and some programmes on tv that they were appearing on. Really annoyed about it, rang the number but its just a mobile number must be a text messaging service.

Anyone else get this? How would they have gotten the number and would their be details as to where they got such info?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Had them ring the landline yesterday. I didn't answer but the person just asked whether the person who answered would consider voting for Libertas. It was short and sweet.

Hmmm, suppose it's better than all the tree killing for the flyers but not overly keen on texting/phoning like this either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Pat the Cope sent me a text message,
    Paschal Mooney rang me twice in work yesterday.

Recieved a few phone calls off the Cope in the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

From GALLAGHER 1

COPE here, asking for your support in the election tomorrow. It's vital we retain our seat & I'm asking for your No.1 vote or highest preference. Thanks, Pat.
    First off, where the **** did they get my number.

Second, having that number, what right does that give them to send me an unsolicited text.

I am unaware of there being a law against it, but I am much, much less likely to vote for him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Yeah, that's the text I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

the only thing ive ever text in for was mat cooper competitions and since then ive had the odd un solicited text offering me wallpapers and ringtones and taking €2, im wondering if the numbers text into today fm are sold on?

I wasnt going to vote libertas before this but ive made sure to tell any undecideds about it also in the hope they would think twice of such invaders being in a position of power

regardless of whether its Libertas, FF, FG whatever HOW are they getting access to such details on voters??
    ANYONE able to share light on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I don't know if your phone number is on the electoral register, but if you opted to have it on the edited register then companies etc. have a right to use it for marketing. If not, it might be worth considering making a complaint here: http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/guidance/unwanted_marketing_consumer_guide.htm&CatID=18&m=r#TER

If enough people object to recieving such texts then maybe the bad publicity will make the politicians think twice about doing it again. Then again they don't seem to mind littering the place with posters, maybe they won't take any notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Thats become really popular lately...When the VOR came in a few place's were broadcasting ads via bluetooth

just looked formyself on the list of registered voters and no sign of me there, even though ive got my polling card and all. Hmmmm we really dont have this technology thing sorted here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Any of you sign up for FF or FG societies in college?

Enda Kenny left me a voice mail about the lisbon last year

Its 12 years since i was in college and never signed up to any political party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Enda Kenny left me a voice mail about the lisbon last year

Enda "Da Lion" Kenny ya mean

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

Got a text from libertas yesterday promoting their candidates and some programmes on tv that they were appearing on. Really annoyed about it, rang the number but its just a mobile number must be a text messaging service.

Anyone else get this? How would they have gotten the number and would their be details as to where they got such info?

Thanks
    Looks like this is the modern way of canvassing.
    It should be treated like spam and banned.
    There should be an opt in option at minimum.

ok i want to keep this post on the subject, so anyone know how i could find out how i and others have been contacted by text?

i checked the live register and my phone number isnt available. So its apparent that these political parties have access to contact details by other means.

Anyone have a lead i can take on this as i wish to get to the source. Thanks

im aware that these are modern times and electronic contact is an option to canvas, however my phone is my contact point for work and to have it exploited for someones possible advertisement or pitch for whatever means is an abuse of it. I dont mind canvasers at the door as at least they are open to debate there. The phone is just a bombardment of privacy

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

I know how one guy does it.
    He has his election team gather up as many mobile numbers as possible and build his database bit by bit.
    This was at the last election when this type of promotion was novel.
    I know he has continued to build up the database.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

ok i want to keep this post on the subject, so anyone know how i could find out how i and others have been contacted by text?

i checked the live register and my phone number isnt available. So its apparent that these political parties have access to contact details by other means.

Anyone have a lead i can take on this as i wish to get to the source. Thanks

im aware that these are modern times and electronic contact is an option to canvas, however my phone is my contact point for work and to have it exploited for someones possible advertisement or pitch for whatever means is an abuse of it. I dont mind canvasers at the door as at least they are open to debate there. The phone is just a bombardment of privacy

I agree, getting email spam and leaflets in the door is bad enough but text messages seem like a bigger intrusion.

Data Protection laws allow you to take action in cases like this to make sure it doesn't happen again. However I'm not sure whether these laws will allow you to take action against those who sent unsolicited texts in the first place. I have a feeling they do. A number of years ago my father was doing a course in UCC when he got a promotional text from a pub in Cork, advertising drinks promotions etc. He is very careful about who he gives his number out to so naturally he was a bit pissed off. He pursued the whole thing with the pub, when he didn't get any results he referred it to the Data Protection Commissioner, and eventually found out that one of the student organisations (I think it might have been an office of UCC but I'm not sure) had sold a list of phone numbers to the pub. I can't remember what action was taken (if any) but it shows that these things can be pursued, and I think that they should be pursued in cases like this.

Advertisement