Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Footballers: Loyalty vs Money

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Headshot wrote: »
    why was it embarassing? at the time barry had a contract with villa, so they could do anything they want with barry.

Well, honest to god they just stopped short of boiling the bunny in the pot in my opinion.................
    It's like other posters have said here on this thread, wouldn't have been a problem if he had gone to one of the top 4 clubs
    Personally, I think ya'll have have a case of Man Cityitis:D
    So a big whatever, do I look boverred???
    YeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

greendom wrote: »
    What was Barry on at Villa - at least 30k a week - he will earn more in his "short" career than 99% of us will earn in our lifetimes even at that rate.
    In fairness we'd all love to be earning more than €30k a year, or €50k, or even €100k. A footballer has gotten used to earning a lot of money and being able to buy himself what he wants when he wants. He won't want that to change.

A very, very lucky footballer will have earned €15m in his career. A lot of that would have been spent during his playing career. Let's say he retires with €10m in the bank. Which would probably be rare. If he retired, over, say 40 years he'd have €250k a year for himself, his wife and kids. It's an awful lot of money but easily spent for someone used to earning €1.5m a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Why do you feel bad for a player who left one club for more money, who then left that club for more money.

Imo you got your monies worth out of barry and standing, as a small club you really should have no issue with a bigger club taking your players.

gonna use italics again, bigger club does not mean real club just means they have more money than you its just the way it is.

You're twisting and turning with this Standing analogy i'm not sure what you're trying to get at, again, i acknowledge Man citys financial might and the value that Villa got in monetary terms from Barrys career, this has nothing to do with previous points i've raised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Let me refer you to my earlier post:

x = Gareth Barry
    Yeah, I got it that X was GB.......
    Didn't take a genius!!!!!!!!!!!
    What I don't get is your problem with him leaving Villa!!!
    Is it the fact that he has gone to City or the fact that he is just gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Yeah, I got it that X was GB.......
    Didn't take a genius!!!!!!!!!!!
    What I don't get is your problem with him leaving Villa!!!
    Is it the fact that he has gone to City or the fact that he is just gone?

I'm actually relieved GB has gone, it was time for GB & Villa to go their seperate ways. I just think he's a fool for trying to play media games again with his patronising letter. A player who has threatened to walk 3 times since 2006 issuing i'm sorry but i'm not to the fans is pathetic. This thread is about money v loyalty, we all know its about the ching-ching.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

dreamers75 wrote: »
    as a small club you really should have no issue with a bigger club taking your players.

Im sorry but seriously I have to ask... your definition of Aston Villa is "a small club" yes?

and you consier Man City to be "a bigger club"?

was it Villa being historically more successfull including winning the European cup before and the fact that they finished 4 places above City this year that makes you think Villa are a smaller club? or is it all down to bank balance for you and QPR are one of the biggest clubs in the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

and so, with all good things, the thread spiraled into the old age argument of 'my club is bigger than yours'

gareth barry is entitled to play for whomever he wishes and earn as much as he can get. leaving does not make him a judas. if man c. become the new chelsea, then hell yeah, id want to be on that gravy train, not just picking up a huge paycheck, but competing on all fronts in 1-2 years.

money entices talent. full stop. you want the best players, you want the best teams, you want the best leagues i nthe world, then the finance factor is obviously going to become top priority.
    if i was good enough to get into the man utd team, you reckon id be happy to take 500 quid a week for the privilage of partnering mr rooney and mr tevez et al?
    hell no, i'd be looking for my 80k a week like everyone else.
    anyone tht values themselves lower than anyone else is either nuts, or not very good at what they do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

and so, with all good things, the thread spiraled into the old age argument of 'my club is bigger than yours'

i agree with a lot of your post but as much as that arguement can derail and ruin many threads it is relevant if you are debating Loyalty / Money. If as the poster suggested Villa were a smaller club then it would be hard to argue that Barrys motives were just financial (something which as a Villa fan unforunatley i dont think they were) However Villa are not a smaller club than Man City.

However there is no point in going any further down this road as how do you define a "big club"? as we have sen in many a Newcastle thread peoples opinin n this can differ greatley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I didn't begrudge Given when he left Newcastle to go to City.
    He gave around 12 years of service to newcastle and he deserves a chance to win a trophy..he's not guaranteed it but there's a better chance.
    Same for Barry...12 years at Villa and what does he have to show for it?
    At City he's gonna be guaranteed a first team place and if City make some big signings this year they could be pushing for the CL places.
    No matter what Villa fans say they're not a big club and were unlikely to break into the top 4.
    City at least have the potential to do that with a couple of signings.
    And Barry + Given will give them a chance to do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Everyone would do what Barry did, i don't blame him. If you say you wouldn't your telling a big old lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Headshot wrote: »
    dont know mate,doubt it but when Giggs was younger,inter were very interested in him and made enquiries about hes availability even

but giggs wasnt interested afaik

He broke into a United team (after being poached from City) which was basically in the ascendant and remained so for the rest of his career. He's hardly underpaid at United and not many other teams could have provided him with that success.

Don't get me wrong, I love to see players Giggs and Scholes and other local players stay with a club, but I couldn't begrudge them a bigger move. In their cases, there were hardly any bigger moves to make during their career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Barry wanted away from Villa, he citied that he wanted to play in the Champions League last summer for his reasons of wanting out, I'm sure there were more that but they didn't reach the press.

Liverpool were the only club in for him AFAIK, now after the silly buggers of his proposed transfer last summer, the Keane episode (which players will look at) and the fact that Barry was not assured a starting place in the team which will be a major factor in transfers this summer it being a world cup year and all.

That left United, Chelsea and Arsenal for CL football, none of which were interested.

So that really left him with no options to be fair. He joined a club that lets face it, will be the most exciting this transfer window and he has the chance to play with some very exciting players.

Citys most important signing this season will be a couple of no no nonsense defenders, look at what Hangleand did for Fulham, between himself and Swartzer they cut the goals against stat in half.

If City secure people like Eto, Santa Cruz and a quality winger, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Barry could get his Champions League appearances next season.

To summise money was definately a factor, but it was only one of many IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Ah come on now, players dont have a long shelf life in fairness. Plus, do you think a club would be loyal to a player that is reaching the end of his days professionally? I dont think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

There is plenty of examples of players jumping ship for money, Craig Bellamy is another example. Times have changed, footballers will move to a club for more money and if they believe they can win more medals thats a greater incentive.

If City told Barry heres a 100k and you might win something becasue we have or we will have a better squad then your current Villa squad of course he was going to go. If i was a Villa fan id rather have lost him last year to Liverpool, a team that will have ambitions to win things and challenge in Europe then see him play for City who at the moment seems to be a sideways move, no europe and no hope of challenging for the top 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Damien Duff!

£70k a week to kick a ball in the Championship! Has there ever been a higher earner at that level?

70k doesn't sound right to me there mate. You sure? Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

That_Guy wrote: »

as far as i am aware, yes he is on something like that. makes you wonder. its one of the reasons he didnt go to spurs. i think we have a salary (or had) cap of around the 60k mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

That_Guy wrote: »

To steal someone elses joke:

http://www.duffscontract.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Speaking of jokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Meh, as if Clubs are loyal to players ffs.

The only truly loyal players I ever heard of are James Chambers and Richie Baker.

When Shels imploded, Chambers was an up and coming young star, and could have had his pick of PD clubs. He chose to stay with Shels and see if he could help us back into the PD.

Richie Baker was distraught to be moved on, he wanted to stay. But we couldn't afford to keep him, and he needed to earn money to live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Des wrote: »
    The only truly loyal players I ever heard of are James Chambers and Richie Baker.
    Tommasi pens minimum wage deal
    1 September, 2005
    http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/

Damiano Tommasi has signed a new one-year contract at Roma which will amazingly net him only £1,000 a month.

The midfielder was a free agent this summer after his previous multi-million pound agreement expired in June.

But Tommasi has penned a new one-year deal with the outfit worth around £1,070 a month, which is equivalent to the minimum wage allowed by the Italian Football Federation.

The former Italian international, who missed most of last season with knee ligament damage, is seen as a model professional in the Italian game.

The 31-year-old is widely recognised as a true gentleman and has distinguished himself in the past with his charity work.

Tommasi joined the Giallorossi in 1996 from Verona and his gesture will be welcomed by the fans, whose club are still dealing with financial difficulties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

As I said.

That I ever heard of.

I'll add that dude to my list

James Chambers
    Richie Baker
    Damiano Tommasi
    :)

Advertisement