Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

buckled alloy from pothole, where do i stand?

• 04-06-2009 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭garyegt

buckled my alloy from a pothole today, i know exactly where it was so i went and took a pic of it. this road has been in bad shape for a long time now.

question is though is what can i do about getting this fixed by the council? i heard that they are obliged to pay for this? the pic is below:

DSC00466.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

General attitude is that if the council knew about the pothole and failed to repair it (e.g. you informed them in advance or can find someone else that did); or had repaired it badly, they'll pay. If they don't know about it, they won't pay.

Go take a look and see if its got bad patching done to it. Even if not, there is a slight chance you'll get satisfaction if you forward them photos with a bill.

Pity its a few days too late to use the election as a battering tool to get a councillor to help ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭garyegt

theres patching all over the place on the road, so that would help my case? well theres roadworks about 300m away from it, and fairly serious ones at that so of course they knew about it:mad:

how about geting it repaired? is there anyone in limerick able to do it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

John Collins in Ballyneety Tyre Cenre is the man imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Check this word out

Malfeasance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malfeasance

They wont care less.

well waterford co co paid for my sisters cripple so i think they might

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    Check this word out

Malfeasance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malfeasance

They wont care less.

There are countless stories of people on here getting payouts. If they've been made aware or cocked up repairing it, its negligence and you'd be pretty much guaranteed a win in court - paying for an alloy and a tyre is cheaper than paying the lawyer to scratch his arse and start typing a response to the summons even...

problem is tho is that the alloy is discontinuedfrown.gif what happens now?

You're not going to get them to pay for a set of 4, anyway. eBay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭steve french

i was told about a lad who had the same thing happen to him, what he did was took a picture of the pothole and then went to the council and told them he wanted a new set of wheels, they said they would get back to him but the next day the council were out covering the hole, they tried to deny any pothole ever existed there but when he presented the pics to them they paid up and not just for 1 it was the whole set because his wheels were also discontinued

If you have pics of rim and the pothole they should pay up.Might take a while though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Must have been a tough pothole to do that damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

What about other components of the car that could be damaged as a result of hitting some of the craters that exist on Irish roads. Could you get them to foot the bill for damaged suspension components for example?
    or im my case a parking sensor that failed as a result of hitting a pothole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

garyegt wrote: »
    theres patching all over the place on the road, so that would help my case? well theres roadworks about 300m away from it, and fairly serious ones at that so of course they knew about it:mad:

how about geting it repaired? is there anyone in limerick able to do it?

Happened me in sligo a few years ago, roads works were held accountable as about 30 cars bust tyres on the dual carrageway. I contacted my local councillor and was put onto someone within the sligo chamber who send the claim in. They would not cover the alloy but did the tyre. Went to a welding company and they sorted the alloy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The amount of car tax I am paying make me think the councils should forget about the multimillion 10km streaches of motorway only taking 5 minutes off travel time and concentrate on keeping the roads we have in good nick. The road I travel to work is like the surface of the moon. They come a do rubbish repairs that after the first rain are worse than before. Disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Disky

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Happened to me a few years ago at night, the pothole was at least 4 inches deep and it destroyed both alloys on the left side. While I was waiting for another spare wheel to be brought to me (only had one in the car of course) another came along and destroyed two of his alloys as well.

Got pictures of the pothole and damage to alloys and sent them to the council, got a full new set of alloys in the end :cool:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Take a picture of the hole and print out a map from Google maps with it's location.
    Send in any invoices relating to the damage and submit a public liability claim.
    May take a few weeks but they should pay out.

When I did it I got a letter from the council stating that they accepted no liability for the damage caused but would pay for the inconvenience it caused.
    I had to sign a form stating that I would accept the offer in full and final settlement and that no further claim would be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

garyegt wrote: »
    buckled my alloy from a pothole today, i know exactly where it was so i went and took a pic of it. this road has been in bad shape for a long time now.

question is though is what can i do about getting this fixed by the council? i heard that they are obliged to pay for this? the pic is below:

DSC00466.jpg
    I made a point related to this matter on another forum some time back, and it was this; If we pay road tax, which entitles us to use the roads, the money collected from which, should in theory, be used to provide and maintain the roads themselves, then doesnt a contract of sorts exist between the tax paying motorist and the Government? And if so, shouldnt that contract be bound under the "Sale of goods and services act"?, which states that goods and services must be of merchantable quality and fit for the purpose intended. It also goes without saying that the goods or services should not pose a risk to the health or safety of the user. If this is shown, the "buyer" thats you and me, is entitled to a replacement or a full refund. Just a thought...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

John Collins in Ballyneety Tyre Cenre is the man imho.

John collins will fix that no bother..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

that happened to my father he burst 2 tyres on the same pot hole. The council very nicely said send in the bill and we will pay some of it. Went to send it in and they said they can not be responsable for every road and got not money what so ever.

• Advertisement

The amount of car tax I am paying make me think the councils should forget about the multimillion 10km streaches of motorway only taking 5 minutes off travel time and concentrate on keeping the roads we have in good nick. The road I travel to work is like the surface of the moon. They come a do rubbish repairs that after the first rain are worse than before. Disgrace

Firstly, councils don't build the motorways - the NRA do.
    Secondly, 5 minutes off peak travel time reduction can == one hour peak...

Advertisement