Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rye Bread

Options
  • 04-06-2009 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Does anyone know where I can get rye bread in the Dublin area? Trying the GL diet and it's recommended that you ditch the wheat and try rye.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You might try some of the Polish shops .. they're quite keen on rye breads, although some of them are wheat/rye mixes rather than pure rye breads. You may have some difficulty establishing exactly what is in them although a lot of Polish bread is made in Polish bakeries in Ireland now, so the labelling should be in English too.

Pumpernickel is rye based too, so try some of that. Lidl sell a passable one.

Also Lidl sell different varieties of packets of bread mix many of which are rye based. I can't remember which varieties are rye based, and on top of that they've recently changed the labelling on the packaging from German to English just to confuse me. I think the one that used to be called Bauernbrot was a rye bread (I guess they call it Farmer's Bread now or some such).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Orby

Blazing Salads in Drury Street Dublin do Rye bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Fallon & Byrne stock those bread mixes, the ones you just add liquid to, and one of them is defo Rye, and its gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Some healthfood stores stock the rye bread that Blazing Salads make. As to other rye breads, you'll find that some are made with sourdough, others yeast and others a mix of the two. I think one of the novelties of rye is that is can be made with sour dough so people often opt to avoid yeast. It does result in a much heavier bread though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Marks & Spencers have a good range of breads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Also, if you are near to any of the weekly farmer's markets, the speciality bread stalls nearly all have some form of wheatless bread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

my local supermarket has started stocking Rye Bread, it's located beside the Soya and Gluten Free Products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 foodiefanatic

I know you can buy rye bread in Aldi and Lidl. Aldi's version is lower in calories, so if you are trying to lose a few pounds that might be the best option. I believe they are both based on sourdough and they are very nice.

I have also seen 'rye bread' in Superquinn (or perhaps it was Tesco) but I believed those breads are mixed with wheat - they are definately not the heavy, brown sourdough type breads which I love and they are quite high in calories.

Advertisement