Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sometimes I wonder why I bother trying

Options
  • 04-06-2009 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey guys,
    I have a bit of a problem at work; suppose it's nothing major compared to some people but it's bothering me.
    I'm working with a team of others at the same level as myself. We're all pretty good at our jobs, and have the same qualifications, and we all work hard. Everyone does their best. It's just that, the people above us only recognise one guy. It sounds weird but it's like the rest of us don't exist. The guy in question is great - doesn't go looking for praise and is sound to work with. But its really hard some days when you're trying so hard and all you're told is how wonderful someone else is.
    I'm not jealous or looking for attention or anything.I just kind of want to get it off my chest and suppose, see what other people think. It makes me wonder why I bother some days to be honest. I don't want praise, but it makes me feel fairly inadequate and useless. Extreme I know, but when you're hearing that day after day it kind of wears you down.I'd love to get out but obviously that's not going to happen any time soon. I'd just like to hear what people think, even just to convince me I'm not going mad:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

could it be that this guy is communicating more with those above so they are making the assumption that he's doing everything?

he could be playing office politics making himself look indispensable. does he know any of the more senior people personally/have some form of relationship outside the office even just hitting the beer garden with some of them?

I've seen stuff like that in my place now. The guys all go drinking once a month, I was in college 3 nights a week so obviously would prefer to spend what little free time i had with my family or doing assignments for college so would decline the invitation, after 2 invites they never came any more (fair enough you can only be refused so many times right) but it didn't stop there. a few months ago there was a desk reshuffle, i got the managers old desk in the corner with my back to everyone and he moved up to his drinking buddies, then all the usual joke emails started to stop coming across my desk, I'd get maybe 1 in 10 i know poor me right :( and now there's stuff going on that I should have been leading the way on coz it's more or less under my control but someone that has no involvement in the process is leading the way. i wasn't even consulted on it even though it directly effects systems i maintain

my point some people try to worm their way in with the big guns so that if a cull is needed they management remember him as the go to guy and someone else looses their job.

Advertisement