Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unintentional spoilers in thread titles

Options
  • 04-06-2009 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

Would it be possible for the mods to review the problem with people unintentionally putting spoilers into there thread titles. Maybe put it in the charter or something.
    Here are a few examples that were posted this week:
    Thread 1. Interesting/challenging match-ups for Machida
    Thread 2. Report: Mauricio "Shogun" Rua agrees to face Lyoto Machida in October

While they don't say that machida won and is now champion its fairly obvious they're not talking about the loser.
    I never watch the shows on the night, i record them and watch with friends during the following week. Its a bit of a pain not being able to come on here for fear of getting the results before i see the show.
    Don't know if anyone agrees but that just my lil rant for the week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I never watch the shows on the night, i record them and watch with friends during the following week. Its a bit of a pain not being able to come on here for fear of getting the results before i see the show.

I always watch the shows afterwards too, but it would be silly of me to go to an MMA message board if i was trying to hide from spoilers.

I always stay away if i dont anna ruin it for myself. Pain, yes. But it;s my own fault if i go somewhere i know they'll be talkin about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

Thats true but i just think if people could word there thread titles with a bit more tact and discretion we wouldn't have to avoid being on here, possibly missing other threads of interest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Spoilers? It isnt Lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Thats true but i just think if people could word there thread titles with a bit more tact and discretion we wouldn't have to avoid being on here, possibly missing other threads of interest.

When fights are on people are going to what to discuss them. You have to use some common sense and either be choosy of what threads you click on or stay away from the forum altogether. You want to watch them after the fact then the responsibility is on you not anyone else on this forum.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    You want to watch them after the fact then the responsibility is on you not anyone else on this forum.

It is your responsibility to actively not spoil an event for someone by posting results or spoilers in thread titles
    Taken from the charter:

11) SPOILERS :

Right, threads about events should contain "Spoilers" in the title. If you don't want to see results then don't go into the thread. Thats about it.

Spoilers in Thread titles will be an instant ban, because that's bollix acting basically.

Now surely he threads i mentioned give away the outcome of the fight thus spoiling the match for those who haven't watched it yet.

• Advertisement

Spoilers are going to happen either accidentally or intentionally [ie. certain event or fight threads made before it happens may very well have spoilers after it happens] Again it is your responsibility not mine or anyone else's to make sure you don't get spoiled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

It is your responsibility to actively not spoil an event for someone by posting results or spoilers in thread titles
    Taken from the charter:

11) SPOILERS :

Right, threads about events should contain "Spoilers" in the title. If you don't want to see results then don't go into the thread. Thats about it.

Spoilers in Thread titles will be an instant ban, because that's bollix acting basically.

Now surely he threads i mentioned give away the outcome of the fight thus spoiling the match for those who haven't watched it yet.

true but you said you watch them a week after, 24/48 hours is reasonable, a week is a bit of a stretch just so you can watch it without knowing, We will want to discuss what happened, why should we wait a week?

true but you said you watch them a week after, 24/48 hours is reasonable, a week is a bit of a stretch just so you can watch it without knowing, We will want to discuss what happened, why should we wait a week?

Agreed. I can't believe this guy thinks everybody should wait that long for him before discussing the event.

Personally I’m from the school of if you cared that much about a show you would have watched it live or the nearest possible opportunity. I know family, life and exceptional circumstances may get in the way but still. Ive no problems adhering to spoiler rules as people dont share the same outlook as me although I may have made some sleep deprived mistakes on the Sunday morning post UFC.

General question but what makes a piece of information spoilerable (yeah not a word) and not just news? For example you don’t see threads titled General Election Results (spoilers.)

rovert wrote: »
    Personally I’m from the school of if you cared that much about a show you would have watched it live or the nearest possible opportunity.

In his defense not everybody can watch the fights when it happens or shortly after due to work, or school [and in this time frame exams] but where the poster loses points is that he thinks we shouldn't discuss the events for a week or more until he can watch them. For that length he needs to be personally responsible and avoid MMA forums until he can watch them.

• Advertisement

You shouldn't wait 1 second longer then you want to, all i'm saying is to use tact and discretion in the thread title. Like instead of 'who should machida face next' why not say 'who should the lightweight champ face next' or something along those lines. You can still talk about the event or individual fight from the event but those who don't wanna know the outcome can avoid the thread.
    JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Agreed. I can't believe this guy thinks everybody should wait that long for him before discussing the event.
    Yeah and i can't believe you insist on replying without reading the thread properly, i never said anything about not talking about the events i merely suggested discretion in the thread titles.

An arguement that comes up in threads likes these is that if all you are interested in is the result that you arent a "real fan" of the sport. Although I dont subscribe to this view entirely there is a degree of merit to it.
    You shouldn't wait 1 second longer then you want to, all i'm saying is to use tact and discretion in the thread title. Like instead of 'who should machida face next' why not say 'who should the lightweight champ face next' or something along those lines. You can still talk about the event or individual fight from the event but those who don't wanna know the outcome can avoid the thread.

In fairness to those posters who did start those threads it was a bit hard not to get carried away by Machidamania.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If i dont want to know about something I stay from everything that could possibly hint at the result. If you dont want to know dont go on MMA forums. I thought that would be a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Jeezz its hard for a guy to make a point here:eek:

The OP wants to be able to scan the thread titles and pick which ones he can read without having the result of an event he hasn't seen 'spoiled'.

Its not too much to ask that people dont give away results in the thread title. The OP will obviously not open a thread with *UFC XX Spoiler* etc in the title.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jeezz its hard for a guy to make a point here:eek:

The OP wants to be able to scan the thread titles and pick which ones he can read without having the result of an event he hasn't seen 'spoiled'.

Its not too much to ask that people dont give away results in the thread title. The OP will obviously not open a thread with *UFC XX Spoiler* etc in the title.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Much easier if we all club into together and buy him a time machine. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

lol What you are asking is totally unrealistic and unreasonable OP..

get a grip!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Its not that unreasonable, in future lads if its within 48 hours of an event try not to spoil the fight for many by giving results away in headings, your heading can be worded so its obvious to the people who watched it already, we all want to enjoy the fights and circumstances are always going to decide if it can be watched live etc..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Its not that unreasonable, in future lads if its within 48 hours of an event try not to spoil the fight for many by giving results away in headings, your heading can be worded so its obvious to the people who watched it already, we all want to enjoy the fights and circumstances are always going to decide if it can be watched live etc..

I agree but one week to accommodate one person's social plans isnt reasonable in my eyes. When is UFC repeated? I remember when UFC was on Bravo the informal rule was spoiler warnings up until the Wednesday(?) replay right?

I never watch the shows on the night, i record them and watch with friends during the following week.

Rovert, 2 things.
    #1 I never asked anyone not to talk about it for a specific anount of time, you've clearly taken me up wrong. All i'm suggesting (for te 50th time!) is a little discretion in the thread title, thats all. Its easily done and dosn't restrict anyone from taking about the event.

#2 When am i getting my timemachine?

Rovert, 2 things.
    #1 I never asked anyone not to talk about it for a specific anount of time, you've clearly taken me up wrong. All i'm suggesting (for te 50th time!) is a little discretion in the thread title, thats all. Its easily done and dosn't restrict anyone from taking about the event.

#2 When am i getting my timemachine?

#1 I’m on your side but a week is frankly ridiculous I don’t think any other MMA board has that rule. It is a sport not a drama series.

We are still trying to locate the Delorean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Honestly I think this is simple, if you don't wanna see results don't go to an MMA discussion board. Same way that you have to avoid MMA news sites.

Next we'll be giving thread titles like "click like to discover what this is about" just to be safe.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭cletus

Honestly I think this is simple, if you don't wanna see results don't go to an MMA discussion board. Same way that you have to avoid MMA news sites.

I have to agree. I usually watch the event a day or two after it takes place, and this time i made the mistake of going to Bullshiod's homepage the next day, thus seeing the result.

By the way the two threads you used as examples were posted 5 and 6 days after the event, long enough methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Reminds me of the time of Randy Chuck 3, and I avoided the net all day so I could watch on Bravo.
    Didn't answer the phone to anyone who was in the club or had an interest in the UFC, then get a text from Paddy Clint saying something along the lines of " Chuck proved standup beats the ground game ". W@nker.

Honestly I think this is simple, if you don't wanna see results don't go to an MMA discussion board.

Thank You. The World in general needs to re-discover 2 wonderful things called Common Sense and Personal Responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Reminds me of the time of Randy Chuck 3, and I avoided the net all day so I could watch on Bravo.
    Didn't answer the phone to anyone who was in the club or had an interest in the UFC, then get a text from Paddy Clint saying something along the lines of " Chuck proved standup beats the ground game ". W@nker.

:mad: you couldnt of put a spoiler around that, fight ruined :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Karatekrazy

Thread 2. Report: Mauricio "Shogun" Rua agrees to face Lyoto Machida in October

How does this imply anything?

In fact had I not known the result before seeing that thread I would've assumed Machida lost.

Advertisement