Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you code in?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I develop in-house stuff for the Telecoms Company I work for. Mostly ASP .Net frontends (coding in VB) and MS SQL backends. I try to code the business rules within TSQL so I'm only relying on the web service to do the donkey work. I do a fair bit of ActiveX Scripting for SQL jobs too as it's very flexible in what can be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I code in my underpants :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

You mean that isn't the best way to program :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jackdoes

LabVIEW 2009 and try to use C++ when I get the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Am I the only Objective-C programmer here? :D

Also some C++ and a handful of C. And some scripting in Python/Bash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Just started playing with Python myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

cornbb wrote: »
    Am I the only Objective-C programmer here? :D

Also some C++ and a handful of C. And some scripting in Python/Bash.

I've written a few ObjC/Cocoa apps and ported some old 3D demos to OSX but I've never come across anyone who programs ObjC apps professionally apart from yourself on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Horses for courses.

C for system-level stuff and servers on unix; PHP for web stuff; Python for quick stuff (though I'm doing a larger project in it on the side for learning and fun); C++ where the job requires it. And some assembly for coursework.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

fasty wrote: »
    I've written a few ObjC/Cocoa apps and ported some old 3D demos to OSX but I've never come across anyone who programs ObjC apps professionally apart from yourself on this forum.

There are a growing number of us now thankfully thanks to the iPhone's popularity. I've spotted a few on the Mac forum and elsewhere on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PauliM

Coding in LISP. I guess that makes me strange! :D

Hoping to move on to a OOP like C# or Java soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

With what I'm working on currently, it's VB.NET for the front end and Tsql for the back end.

Worked with a bit of datatrieve and cobol before. Found them both horrendous to work with. But that was probably down to a lack of training

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

whiterob81 wrote: »
    Worked with a bit of datatrieve and cobol before. Found them both horrendous to work with. But that was probably down to a lack of training
    Jaysus...welcome to the 21st century! Datatrieve sure brings me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

Jaysus...welcome to the 21st century! Datatrieve sure brings me back.

That was only last year! Worked with it for a year. Absolutely hated it. Slow, clunky crap. Still in use in some government departments. They can't get rid of it quick enough imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Actionscript, am I the only one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Foxpro, badly. I'll get my coat. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

All Business Intelligence related (not exactly programming). building SQL Server cubes, data integration, MDX. Been @ SQL Server for 12 years.

Used to do Powerbuilder in the olden days. Good to see a few previous posters still at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

I've spent the last few weeks reverse engineering some functionality from a 20 year old C/Ingres unix based system (with Y2K and EMU updates) to a monolithic Delphi/Oracle system. I want to kill myself :(

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Java & PHP, although I do have experience with C++, and to a more limited extent C.

bw wrote: »
    All Business Intelligence related (not exactly programming). building SQL Server cubes, data integration, MDX. Been @ SQL Server for 12 years.

Used to do Powerbuilder in the olden days. Good to see a few previous posters still at it.
    Powerbuilder used to have quite a base in the financial sector because of Sybase.

It's amazing to see companies still shell out zillions for third-party OLAP functionality when MS SSAS in SQL Server does it all as part of the standard licence. They've managed to integrate it nicely into VS, but some of the 'seams' are still there, it originally was a product they bought it from an Israeli company.

dazberry wrote: »
    I've spent the last few weeks reverse engineering some functionality from a 20 year old C/Ingres unix based system (with Y2K and EMU updates) to a monolithic Delphi/Oracle system. I want to kill myself :(
    Don't dis Delphi/Oracle!...Skype was written in Delphi....er, I'll get my jacket...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Python

Advertisement