Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you vote?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I admit I know nothing about Mary Lou's attendance record but that has nothing to do with Toireasa Ferris.

Neither do I, in fact no one seems to know about it because frankly there isnt much of a record there. To talk about here non-attendance record would be more apt.

....hold on a sec, I got Sinn Fein on the line telling me Im wrong and that I must edit all posts relating to Mary Lou...

But seriously, Ferris is part of a party that seems to culturally skive off and try and get away with as much as it can. Like claiming a second home in London. So thats why I say shes not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Also I took a walk today at 4pm-6pm from henry street down o connell street up westmorlan street to the top of grafton street outside of st stephans green back down to the central bank, across lower liffey street up to parnell street and back home.

I didnt find one canvasser :( not one for any candidate.

The day before the election you think Grafton street would have someone at the top with the chuggers at least???
    Election Canvassing are banned on the Day of the election and the day before the election in order to give the electorate time to think rather than be harassed at the Polling station.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

limklad wrote: »
    Election Canvassing are banned on the Day of the election and the day before the election in order to give the electorate time to think rather than be harassed at the Polling station.

Not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

For locals;
    1) McNelis (Labour)
    2) Hanly (SF)
    3) McCabe (Ind)
    4) Connolly (Ind Labour)
    5)Mullholland (FG)
    6) Cahill (Ind)
    7) Callanan (Ind SF)
    8) Ó Brolcháin

I would've given Ó Brolcháin higher if he wasn't a Green and wasn't so high in the party (advisor to Gormley)
    Couldn't bring myself to vote for Fianna Fáil, the Independant PDs or Naughton (FG woman who seems to be lacking common sense)

Europe;
    1) O'Keeffe (Labour)
    2) Mac Loughlainn (SF)
    3) Harkin (Ind)
    4) Higgins (FG)

I can't really remember after that, I gave Fianna Fáil preferences but didn't give Ganley anything.
    I despise Libertas and their policies (or the few they have; day of the election and it's still "our policies will appear on the website over the next few weeks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Local:

Jim O'Leary (FG)
    Pat Hand (FG)
    Aidan Culhane (Lab)
    Veronica O'Doherty (Lab)
    Terence Corish (Greens)
    Seamus O'Neill (Ind)
    and put SF and FF and Tony Fox at the very end.

European:

Gay Mitchell (FG)
    Proinsias de Rossa (Lab)
    Patricia McKenna (Ind)
    ...leaving Eoin Ryan (FF), Mary Lou McDonald (SF) and Caroline Simons (LI) at the end and in that order

Dublin South By-Elections
    George Lee (FG)
    Alex White (Lab)
    Elizabeth Davidson (Green)
    Ross O'Mullane (Ind)
    Shay Brennan (FF)
    and Shaun Tracey (SF) in last.

So quite obviously heavily in favour of FG and Lab and vehemently opposed to FF, SF and Libertas. Giving Mary Lou another 5 years of kicking back, doing nothing and raking 6 figures for it would be a catastrophe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

1 Joe Higgins
    2 Pronsias De Rossa
    3 Patricia McKenna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

turgon wrote: »
    Yes, because we all know the Senate is as important as the European Parliament.
    It's not an issue of importance. The fact is he was elected as a senator and when you're a senator you're expected to show up for votes in the Seanad. He should have done the job he was elected to do regardless of how trivial that job may be.
    Despite all this, I still gave him my second preference because between himself and Sinnott he is the lesser of two evils.
    turgon wrote: »
    But seriously, Ferris is part of a party that seems to culturally skive off and try and get away with as much as it can. Like claiming a second home in London. So thats why I say shes not good.
    OK fair enough if you don't like Sinn Fein and don't agree with Ferris's policies but assuming that if elected she would be a "skiver" isn't being fair to her imo. She comes across as a very hard worker in her own area and I have no reason to assume she would not also be a hard worker in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

1. Jim Tallon (ind)
    2. Nessa Childers (Lab)
    3. Phealen (FG)
    4. McGuinnes (FG)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

I voted Mitchell(FG) - De Rossa(LAB) - Ryan(FF) for Europe and local Humphreys(LAB) - Saul(FG) - Cosgrave(FG)

Anyone who gave any vote to Libertas should be shot:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I gave Declan my 13th preference, is that ok...? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

cornbb wrote: »

Only if you used crayons to write it in at the end of
    the sheet :pac:

cornbb wrote: »

Jeez! To do that, you have to indicate preferences for some odd candidates.

I did the same, but it was difficult to vote between about 5th preference and 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

1. Crowley
    2. Kelly, A
    3. O'Keeffe
    4. Boyle
    5. Burke
    6. Stafford
    7. Kelly, S

Local
    1,2 FF
    3 FG
    4 IND
    5 Lab
    6 FG
    7 Grn
    8 SF
    9 Lab
    no preference for remaining
    1 FG
    1 RSF
    1 CSP
    7 IND

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I filled out my Euro preferences from 1 to 10 and my local preferences from 1 to 19 as I'm in the habit of doing. I could list who I voted for but where would be the fun in that, all 29 candidates got a preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Nessa Childers of Labour, followed by FF and FG candidates; basically everyone except SF and Libertas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

1 - Alexander Stafford
    2 - Sean Kelly
    3 - Kathy Sinnott
    4 - Colm Burke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

I voted Mitchell(FG) - De Rossa(LAB) - Ryan(FF) for Europe and local Humphreys(LAB) - Saul(FG) - Cosgrave(FG)

equaly, anyone who voted ff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Regulator79

ninty9er wrote: »
    1. Crowley
    2. Kelly, A
    3. O'Keeffe
    4. Boyle
    5. Burke
    6. Stafford
    7. Kelly, S

Local
    1,2 FF
    3 FG
    4 IND
    5 Lab
    6 FG
    7 Grn
    8 SF
    9 Lab
    no preference for remaining
    1 FG
    1 RSF
    1 CSP
    7 IND

You voted Fianna Fail and are willing to admit it. That makes you a rare beast indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Voted in the Euros

1- Higgins
    2- De Rossa
    3- Mitchell

I would normally vote Labour 1st but if Higgins gets in then Ryan and McDonald will be ousted and that would be an excellent result. I also think Higgins as an honest and principled politician will do a lot more for Ireland than the other 2 wasters. As for the locals well thats my business but you can be sure that FF, SF and the Greens were at the bottom of my preferences.

Something we won't find out, but would be interesting to know: how many people have done what I and several others have reported doing, and voted all the way down the ballot in order to put Declan Ganley last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I did the same thing and a couple of other people here have mentioned doing it. Guess we'll never know for sure. Like you said, in order to do it I have to give higher preferences to some oddball characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I suspect that you have missed out on an opportunity to influence the outcome.

I think any vote influences the outcome :D But yeah I know what you mean, just didn't think any of the other candidates deserved a preference.

Despite all this, I still gave him my second preference because between himself and Sinnott he is the lesser of two evils.

SInnot is a euroskeptic conservative nutcase!
    OK fair enough if you don't like Sinn Fein and don't agree with Ferris's policies but assuming that if elected she would be a "skiver" isn't being fair to her imo. She comes across as a very hard worker in her own area and I have no reason to assume she would not also be a hard worker in Europe.

Fair enough :)
    You voted Fianna Fail and are willing to admit it. That makes you a rare beast indeed.

nintyniner is a member of FF, and is willing to admit it, which makes him an even rarer beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrquiteaguy

4 voter Household.

Euro.... 3 1st Pref Kathy Sinnott 1 1st Pref Toireasa Ferris
    Local... 4 1st Pref Paudie Dineen (IND) He called to the door and explained his policies very well.I am then more willing to vote for people like that than candidates that do nothing.

I see a lot of people here dont like Kathy Sinnott,thats their choice.
    At least she stands for things,not like Brian Crowley FF.
    Check out both their websites,you will see what i mean.

I have seen people mention that Kathy Sinnott got the sympathy vote because of her disabled son,I reckon same goes for Brian Crowley,being confined to a wheelchair.

I would have voted for George Lee and Joe Higgins if they stood down here,
    As i think the country need intelligent choices like them.

At least she stands for things

Yep, like getting Ireland out of the Eu, the promotion of ignorance, and the suppression of free speech!
    I have seen people mention that Kathy Sinnott got the sympathy vote because of her disabled son,I reckon same goes for Brian Crowley,being confined to a wheelchair.

This is just taking the biscuit to be honest. One does not top the poll while being a member of the most hated party in Ireland just for being in a wheelchair. People are attracted to Crowley because he appears honest and is very hard working. He is also, unlike Sinnot, extremely tolerant of those with views different to his own.
    As i think the country need intelligent choices like them.

I agree. Which is why I shaped my ballot to be effectively an anti Sinnot vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

1. Alan Kelly
    2. Sean Kelly
    3. Brian Crowley
    4. Colm Burke

No preference for KS as her canvassers couldn't answer any of my questions on the lack of paediatric orthopedic services in Cork - so much for being a campaigner for the rights of the disabled. A letter to her personally on the same topic went unanswered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Colm Burke - 1
    Alan Kelly - 2
    Sean Kelly -3
    That is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Higgins

DeRossa

Mitchell

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Angelique

Voted for Nessa Childers. Left Libertas out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrquiteaguy

Turgon "People are attracted to Crowley because he appears honest and is very hard working."
    You couldnt tell he's very hard working from his website.It tells you absolutely nothing.Very poor website.

He is also, unlike Sinnot, extremely tolerant of those with views different to his own." Again going to his website,first port of call for many people,you would find absolutely nothing about his policies.

Going to Kathy Sinnotts site one finds it easy to navigate,to find out her views.Why cant Mr.Crowleys site be so open and clear?

You would find she calls for members of religious orders to be named and to face criminal charges for abuse(The Ryan Report).

She was the only MEP to take a voluntary 20% pay-cut earlier this year and will continue this reduced salary in the next parliamentary term.

She calls for stewardship of Irish territorial waters to be returned to Ireland. (I for one think we need to have more control over our own fish stocks)

She was the ONLY irish MEP to stand up for our rights for internet freedom.
    All other irish MEPS voted for the rights of big business/music/film industry to have the power to cut off downloaders(3 strikes law)

Link for boards.ie interesting thread on that subject below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055561459&highlight=kathy+sinnott

Kathy Sinnott mightnt have everyones support but at least she puts Ireland interests first,not Europes.

George Lee said earlier on Rte that we need to vote out the complacent,the politicans who do nothing and get voted in year after year.

I COULDNT AGREE MORE.

Advertisement