Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Irish (I think i'm screwed... help!!!)

Options
  • 04-06-2009 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Question about Irish. If I fail Irish, do I fail my leaving cert?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Many colleges require Irish, but some will let you in without it, it depends entirely on the individual courses you've applied for. For example many DCU courses require English OR Irish, but you can fail one of them and still get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yes, you fail. You have to pass English, Irish and Maths (Core subjects)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Ok so thought to myself a few mins ago. If I failed Irish, would I fail my LC? So I started a thread and so on, that was grand. Checked my course requirements (Applicants are required to hold at the time of enrolment the established Leaving Certificate (or an approved equivalent) with at least Grade C3 in two Higher Level subjects and Grade D3 in four Ordinary or Higher Level subjects (including Mathematics; Irish or another language; and English).) Seems grand, but theres a problem, IM DOING FOUNDATION IRISH:eek::mad:. The reasoning behind me doing foundation is because 1. I'm from America and have no use for Irish whatsoever 2. I wanted to allow myself to focus more on other subjects and not waste time trying to bairly pass ordinary level Irish 3. I wasnt going to be counting it for points or anything because its my weakest subject. At the moment all I can say is FML. Is there any hope of me getting into this cousre would ya say? Because its going to really suck, doing the rest of my exams knowing I'm going to have to repeat:( I'm going to ring my preferred college (UL) tomorrow and see what they can do, if anything. Oh and another kick in the balls is that I dont do a foreign language. Any help would be greatly appreiciated right now:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

That's rough. I'd say ring UL like you said.

May possibly be a special case because you've not being studying Irish all your life....best bet is ringing the college, however I'd say you'd be alright.

One question tho.....Why the fup did you leave america to come over here?! ARE YOU MAD!

• Advertisement

One question tho.....Why the fup did you leave america to come over here?! ARE YOU MAD!

Parents made the decision:mad: I had no say:mad:

I assume you still hold US nationality? Why don't you go to the US for University... The leaving cert is recognised as a valid examination, and you won't need Irish...you also won't have to pay non-US nationality fees...

If fees weren't part of the question I'd be on the first plane out of here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

You're not even obliged to sit English and Maths, Irish is the only subject you're actually required to sit (assuming you don't have an exemption), everything else is up to the student (Although good luck to anyone who chooses not to sit them if they want to get into college).

Some colleges will let you in even if you've failed Irish, the general entry requirements for DCU state "Mathematics AND English or Irish ", so clearly to say that you need to pass all 3 is clearly wrong.
    Although that sentence does leave me to wonder about the meaning of the "AND" and "or" in that sentence, could mean a few things, but that's a bit off-topic :P

EDIT: Just read that you're from the US, if you just moved here recently (or even in the past 2-3 years) then an exception could be made, non-Irish students aren't required to do Irish, not sure if it'd be too late to get an exemption from sitting the exam but informing the colleges/universities you've applied to ASAP wouldn't go astray, they generally do make exceptions for cases like these from what I've heard.

I assume you still hold US nationality? Why don't you go to the US for University... The leaving cert is recognised as a valid examination, and you won't need Irish...you also won't have to pay non-US nationality fees...

If fees weren't part of the question I'd be on the first plane out of here :D

Yup I'm an US citizen, have passport, birth cert, social security etc. The fees there are my problem though aswel:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

You do not stop talking crap to people who are very worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

as soon as the leaving is over check www.qualifax.ie for similar courses to the one you applied for in UL that do not require irish and put them on your CAO change of mind thing which you have till 30 june to complete. That way if things don't work out with UL you have another college option rather than repeating.

GD luk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    Mathematics; Irish or another language; and English

If you do a European language, you should be fine.
    Ring the college as soon as you can just to make sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭ak51535

ahh dont worry frosty, ya dont fail the leaving if ya fail irish, it just depends on the course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    another kick in the balls is that I dont do a foreign language. :(

@irishmonkey........nuf said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

pathway33 wrote: »
    @irishmonkey........nuf said

Bollocks... Didnt see that.

Yeah, call the college tomorrow, or as another poster said, check qualifax for other courses that don't need it as a requirement.

Advertisement