Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which is better

• 04-06-2009 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

MAc or PC:D

Just thought I'd get this one out of the way as soon as possible.

Congrats lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I've now got 7 PC in the room i'm in ;) - buy me a Mac to replace them all ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Neurojazz wrote: »
    I've now got 7 PC in the room i'm in ;) - buy me a Mac to replace them all ;)

Do you work part time in Dixon's or wha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Nope, full time geek + musician / webmaster ;)

In regards to the whole Mac/PC thing though:-

I'm hoping once i chat with KevIRL about a decent charter for us here (and get you guys to contribute to it) that we can keep focused on the methods of production rather than endless 'what if' debates about the gear.

I've earned more cash in dance music in descending order:-

A Yamaha W7 workstation.
    Reason (which can be either PC or MAC)

I'm a Cubase user, have had cakewalk and sonar and a host of other apps - but now committed to the PC route - there are lots of Mac uses here to give their advice when a new post is made in regards to Macs.

So in my eyes it's not what you've got, but what you do with it - and since the forum is about production - we'll be dealing with the business end of the raw skills that make up production. There of course are exceptions, as there maybe tools and techniques in either PC and MAC platforms that enable different techniques and workflow economy, but instead of looking at what is better, we should be looking at what is different and why it's even needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

actually, may as well post in this thread.

they're both brilliant....depending on what type of person you are.
    If you know relatively little about computers, Mac may be easier for production duties for you.
    If you're a regular tech wizz, you'll get a lot more out of a Windows machine for a lot less money and most likely have a great time tinkering under the hood.

Maybe a simplification too far but nearly all mac v pc debates regarding production revolve around these issues.

All the 'but macs are the industry standard in music production' stuff is nonsense at this stage.

Technological developments over the past 5 years have made this debate an entirely different beast than it was 3 years ago.

I'm the biggest mac fanboy ever but that's only because

a) I'm not good with windows machines
    b) I'm silly and I buy into the whole 'Macs look better than anything ever created and therefore are the best things ever created'.

However, because Logic 8 is so friggin amazing, many people have gone Mac the past year or so (for those of you who are new to this malarky, Logic is mac only and actually made by Apple).
    Very clever business from Apple not requiring a dongle for Logic 8. They may as well have given Logic 8 away free and they still would have made massive profits from the legions of people switching over after seeing some cracked version of Logic.

Oh, it is generally thought that as far as live/dj situations go, Macs are a bit more stable. There are a good few producers who use PC's in the studio and Macbooks for djing (Deadmau5 and Sharooz being the first two to come to mind - in fact I've read both of them saying it).
    Could all be bollocks though, and maybe windows laptops are safer to use live. But then you wouldn't be able to show the crowd the apple logo on the back of your computer!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Use them both together ;)

Ooops wrong forum im off to the jazz metal country forum.... :D

• Advertisement

PMI wrote: »
    Ooops wrong forum im off to the jazz metal country forum.... :D

Such a thing exists?..finally, i think i may have found my niche..

(I just spent a few minutes typing the beginnings of an epic mac vs pc rant here...but ill spare ye...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Such a thing exists?..finally, i think i may have found my niche..

(I just spent a few minutes typing the beginnings of an epic mac vs pc rant here...but ill spare ye...)

And which way were you going ? Mac , Yea?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

jtsuited wrote: »
    If you know relatively little about computers, Mac may be easier for production duties for you.
    If you're a regular tech wizz, you'll get a lot more out of a Windows machine for a lot less money and most likely have a great time tinkering under the hood.

thats it for me

macs cost more but require less upkeep, pcs cost less but youll need to be fairly knowledgeable to pull them together and make them stable

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    And which way were you going ? Mac , Yea?;)

no..

no..

Ah well no point in finishing it so ..... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Im a big windows fan, ive never had a problem with windows that i couldnt get round really quickly and easily.

Ive had my pc since 2004 and it still runs as fast as it did the day i got it.

Got a laptop for college last year and it was running vista, at first i was weary of the new system but to be honest once you optmise it for audio and take off the stuff that windows included for absolute computer noobs like user control account settings and the way vista displays itself (which takes up alot of cpu power) then its even more enjoyable than xp.

My experience with macs has been largely negative. Probably because im so used to the windows system, but there is just something about macs and especially the way they are advertised. Was looking into getting Logic there cause everyone seems to be harping on about it so much but its mac exclusive!

Ive had linux running as a transition on my desktop before, is it possible to do this with Mac OS to run logic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lads, put XP on a macbook. Simple as, you get the snazy casing and the OS that does the job. Best of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

right guys, a complete newbie here. I am an accommplished jazz musician (guitar/bass) but have developed a real liking for ambient/trance/progressive. St Germain, JTJ Bukem, Sasha amongst many others...
    If you were to recomend software for me to try and create my own mixes, what would it be. I have a pc, 2G Ram Dual cpu 2.2 Mhz

Also, any good tutorials you could point me in the direction of?
    Where do I start...
    Many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

SteveDon wrote: »
    Im a big windows fan, ive never had a problem with windows that i couldnt get round really quickly and easily.

Ive had my pc since 2004 and it still runs as fast as it did the day i got it.

Got a laptop for college last year and it was running vista, at first i was weary of the new system but to be honest once you optmise it for audio and take off the stuff that windows included for absolute computer noobs like user control account settings and the way vista displays itself (which takes up alot of cpu power) then its even more enjoyable than xp.

My experience with macs has been largely negative. Probably because im so used to the windows system, but there is just something about macs and especially the way they are advertised. Was looking into getting Logic there cause everyone seems to be harping on about it so much but its mac exclusive!

Ive had linux running as a transition on my desktop before, is it possible to do this with Mac OS to run logic?
    bottom line is logic is abosolutely amazing.if it was on pc id recommend the **** out of it .but its not available for pc.

for me its a perfectly good reason for switching operating systems.
    but yes you can run osx on a pc and subsequently run logic.
    i just spent the whole day sorting out my friends hard drive on xp and it just reminded me why i love mac.

its the operating system,plain and simple.im gonna build a computer from scratch as my next system but you can be sure ill be running osx on it.
    the hardware is all the same but the os is what sells it.

as for the way its advertised.
    well use a mac for a while and you will understand why people are so attached.like i said the hardware is the same,its the operating system that sells it.
    i think alot of people get pissed because they think people look down on pc on hardware specs alone when its simply a case of the operating system being (in my opinion)better

seannash wrote: »
    bottom line is logic is abosolutely amazing.if it was on pc id recommend the **** out of it .but its not available for pc.

for me its a perfectly good reason for switching operating systems.
    but yes you can run osx on a pc and subsequently run logic.
    i just spent the whole day sorting out my friends hard drive on xp and it just reminded me why i love mac.

its the operating system,plain and simple.im gonna build a computer from scratch as my next system but you can be sure ill be running osx on it.

as for the way its advertised.
    well use a mac for a while and you will understand why people are so attached.like i said the hardware is the same,its the operating system that sells it.
    i think alot of people get pissed because they think people look down on pc on hardware specs alone when its simply a case of the operating system being (in my opinion)better

what sells macs is hype and misinformation more than the operating system, your average joe buying a mac for non music stuff doesnt have a clue about os's.

a well built, well maintained pc will out perform any mac on a euro to euro scale, its just a case that not everyone can build or maintain a system well, and not everyone is arsed doing it.

a mac is a well behaved, studious child

a pc is a hyperactive little shite who needs to be kept on a tight leash or he'll mess the house up

SteveDon wrote: »

your pc is too old to be able to run osx, but if you were to buy a new one you should have absolutely no problems installing it and logic

helix i agree.but personally i dont want an unruly child.

like i said components are the same but the operating system is a godsend.
    i dont want to deal with trojan horse or viruses(yes i know you dont have to download them but some people do)
    it is horse for courses but at this point logic is the winning factor for me.
    if it ran on windows cool but as of now its only on osx

its a very old debate,people are making great music on both but for less headaches id say get mac.less can go wrong for the average punter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

its the operating system,plain and simple.

This im afraid i do not agree with.. Especially in a hot sweaty club atmosphere.. Pc's overheat alot.. Mac's do not.. This is down to the hardware and design of a mac as opposed to the cheap as you can pc's which are designed today. Alot of thought has gone into the design and build of a mac hence the design not changing much. In its most basic form it is still a high performance system.

I myself am a Pc user simply because this is what i have always used and the price tag of a mac.. Macs are much more stable from a hardware point of view.

As for logic if you know what your doing and try it at least once you sould have no bother running it or even installing it on a pc via virtual machine amongst other methods a google search will give you details on how this is done..

As for the operating systems both have their pros and cons.. usually people tend to go with what they know.. there is nothing i can do on a mac that i cant on a pc.

Never let one program or one bit of hardware make your mind up for you when choosing your hardware for your studio be it a bedroom set up or something a little more advanced.

Stab*City wrote: »
    This im afraid i do not agree with.. Especially in a hot sweaty club atmosphere.. Pc's overheat alot.. Mac's do not.. This is down to the hardware and design of a mac as opposed to the cheap as you can pc's which are designed today. Alot of thought has gone into the design and build of a mac hence the design not changing much. In its most basic form it is still a high performance system.

I myself am a Pc user simply because this is what i have always used and the price tag of a mac.. Macs are much more stable from a hardware point of view.

As for logic if you know what your doing and try it at least once you sould have no bother running it or even installing it on a pc via virtual machine amongst other methods a google search will give you details on how this is done..

As for the operating systems both have their pros and cons.. usually people tend to go with what they know.. there is nothing i can do on a mac that i cant on a pc.

Never let one program or one bit of hardware make your mind up for you when choosing your hardware for your studio be it a bedroom set up or something a little more advanced.
    just to keep this debate going further.
    so a self built computer using an efix chip running osx isnt as stable as a dedicated mac with the same hardware?i have a macbook pro and that ****er gets very hot.good design or not it runs hot.
    you can custom build a computer to exact mac specifications these days.
    casing shouldnt have a factor in stability.if the hardware is the same the only stability issue should be the operating system.
    also just to add contrast to this,theres nothing i can do on a pc i cant do on a mac either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

the mbp's are famous for running mega mega mega hot but as far as I know that is acutally a result of the heat being safely dissipated from the processor etc. (or something like that)

basically a mbp will run so hot it'll burn the surface it's on and will still run perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

just to keep this debate going further.
    so a self built computer using an efix chip running osx isnt as stable as a dedicated mac with the same hardware?i have a macbook pro and that ****er gets very hot.good design or not it runs hot.
    you can custom build a computer to exact mac specifications these days.
    casing shouldnt have a factor in stability.if the hardware is the same the only stability issue should be the operating system.
    also just to add contrast to this,theres nothing i can do on a pc i cant do on a mac either

Of course you can build a box with the same hardware and yes im sure it will run as well as a mac no matter what OS you use. But being a mac user yourself you must know how good those guys are sealed up.. something you would never be able to do with a box you built yourself.. night after night sweaty club after sweaty club my money is on the mac. All machines run hot of course but a mac just seems to do it better and longer.. hey im a pc guy myself im just calling it how i see it..

As for windows stability with some tinkering and staying away from the internet XP is fairly solid.

But anyway i can def see where your coming from.. And boy am i glad we have this forum now!!

Also i had a listen to your tracks.. very impressed

Helix wrote: »
    a mac is a well behaved, studious child

a pc is a hyperactive little shite who needs to be kept on a tight leash or he'll mess the house up

Post of the Day ! I'd agree. I don't want hassle in the studio .... at all if possible. The Mac/PC debate has nothing directly to do with music really, I just want something that works.

I'm no mac or pc expert but I can work out what ever issues I've ever had with a Mac, in my experience I'd need to 'know' with a PC.

So, if you do 'know' there are probably some financial gains by not going Mac.

Advertisement