Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking One for the Team

Options
  • 04-06-2009 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

The leaving's marked out of the top 6 subjects, right? So would it better if I just assumed I'm going to fail biology and not count it as a subject? Letting it 'take one for the team' so to speak. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yup, top 6 go towards your CAO points count up. If you want to dump study for one to gain ground on another, that's entirely up to you, I wouldn't recommend it as you never know what the paper will be like, but, it's your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I suggest you go in and do your best in it. Don't strike out any subject for examination.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

nah if i were you i wouldnt do that!
    an F doesnt look good on your Leaving cert, even if you dont use it as points, wont it be on your CV after college? if your def not using it for points, drop to ordinary (if your in higher) so your grade will be higher but i wouldnt count it out

then again i could be wrong and you might be able to just not include it in your CV at alll and nobody will ever need to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Well of course I'm going to go in and do my best on the exam, but I'm not going to dedicate copious amounts of study towards it between now and then. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

nah if i were you i wouldnt do that!
    an F doesnt look good on your Leaving cert, even if you dont use it as points, wont it be on your CV after college? if your def not using it for points, drop to ordinary (if your in higher) so your grade will be higher but i wouldnt count it out

then again i could be wrong and you might be able to just not include it in your CV at alll and nobody will ever need to know?

Actually, it won't. After college you just use your degree(s)/other 3rd level education for your CV. There's no reason what so ever to put down LC results, they don't matter anymore.

Once you're past JC level, you use JC results
    Get Past LC level, use LC results
    Get Past undergrad degree, use that
    Do a masters, use that
    Do a phd, use that

Its your most recent education record that you use. Hence why the Leaving Cert isn't the monstrous beast it's made out to be. It's not going to hang over your head for the rest of your life - You get through college and it's forgotten.

• Advertisement

Then why were you asking?
    If you choose not to study / assume you're going to fail, then you just might.
    If you spend some time studying and try your best, you never know how well you might do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

If an F in one subject in your Leaving Cert despite a 3rd level Degree/Masters stops you getting a job then they're just looking for an excuse to not accept you for a job because you're socially inept and did a **** interview. :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭ciano14

I'm doing the exact same for Biology
    I'll study the day before it and such but don't give a **** anymore!

I'll most likely scrape a pass on Higher Level

Dropping to pass just doesn't feel right
    i dunno ...

star-pants wrote: »
    Then why were you asking?
    If you choose not to study / assume you're going to fail, then you just might.
    If you spend some time studying and try your best, you never know how well you might do.

I was asking because I was wondering if it really made much of a difference and/or impact on my results as a whole.

Well, (gods forbid!!) if another subject went horribly wrong, you might end up relying on your biology results. That's all. You could infact do great in all other 6 subjects and not need biology, but I see no harm in covering your backside.

• Advertisement

Well, (gods forbid!!) if another subject went horribly wrong, you might end up relying on your biology results. That's all. You could infact do great in all other 6 subjects and not need biology, but I see no harm in covering your backside.

I suppose, but I don't think anything could go much worse than biology. I knew I should have taken geography instead. >.<

My brother has taken a similar approach with Accounting.
    He said he's going to write his name and number & that's it. As he 'only needs 6 subjects to pass'. We're trying to beat him out of that train of thought (not literally).

You might be surprised and do ok on the biology :)

My brother has taken a similar approach with Accounting.
    He said he's going to write his name and number & that's it. As he 'only needs 6 subjects to pass'. We're trying to beat him out of that train of thought (not literally).

You might be surprised and do ok on the biology :)

If my mock results were anything to go by I'd imagine not. I was the only one in the class who failed the exam. I didn't study a tap but meh.

No harm in going over things, you may scrap a pass, it would make a nice addition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Huge mistake and I actually can't get over the short-sightedness of this mentality.If you decide during the summer that you want to do another course related to maths or science,this will cripple you if you don't aim at passing.Believe me,I thought I was going to fail biology and the biology paper in 2002 was one of the hardest for 31 years at that time.I came out with a c2 at higher level and was able to study science.

While I changed career path after,the points I gained from biology were just as important to make up the points for other courses.Neglecting one subject to do better in another is very short-sighted as it is not a safe bet or guarantee.

blackbelt wrote: »
    Huge mistake and I actually can't get over the short-sightedness of this mentality.If you decide during the summer that you want to do another course related to maths or science,this will cripple you if you don't aim at passing.Believe me,I thought I was going to fail biology and the biology paper in 2002 was one of the hardest for 31 years at that time.I came out with a c2 at higher level and was able to study science.

While I changed career path after,the points I gained from biology were just as important to make up the points for other courses.Neglecting one subject to do better in another is very short-sighted as it is not a safe bet or guarantee.

If you're speaking in a general sense, then yes, it's a short sighted mentality to have, but if we're talking personally, and you obviously don't know me, I have absolutely no intention in persuing a career related to science in any way, shape or form. Everything on my CAO is testament to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The leaving's marked out of the top 6 subjects, right? So would it better if I just assumed I'm going to fail biology and not count it as a subject? Letting it 'take one for the team' so to speak. :pac:

I did that and it worked ok for me but that's not to say that it will work for everyone.

It seems a little late for you to be thinking this now when you should have made up your mind a couple of months back so that you could base your study around your other subjects in a specific timetable.

I did Economics and despised the subject but I didn't go into the exam with the whole "I hate this stupid subject so I'm gonna deliberately do sh*t in it" type of attitude. Instead I tried my best at it and passed it. An F would look horrible on a certificate at the end surrounded by A's and B's.

I'm sure you're not the only one who's thought of this idea. As long as you've covered yourself very very well in all of your other subjects then maybe you have a case to go ahead with your plan. If you haven't then I wouldn't bank on the 6 subjects in case one of those papers is not what you wanted.

Best of luck in your exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I ****ing hate music so I just ignore it completely. I nearly wouldn't bother going in for the exam but I might do alright cos of the practical

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I ****ing hate music so I just ignore it completely. I nearly wouldn't bother going in for the exam but I might do alright cos of the practical

Personally I think music is the easiest achievable A on the LC course.

50% practical and 50% theory.

Practical should come handy if you've learnt your selected pieces very well and the theory is also relatively easy.
    The composing section on the paper is a bit annoying but if you've got your cadences etc learned properly you should be ok.

In my opinion, you'd be crazy to drop music down in the chain of studying. But each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I just hate it so much! and I find the composing by far the easiest part of it. didn't do as well as I could have in my practical cos I just don't give a ****. If I could go back I would have done a different subject instead. you're right though it's very managable if you don't hate it as much as I do :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

French took one for the team for me .not bad tape oral n comps will get me the grade i need

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I was asking because I was wondering if it really made much of a difference and/or impact on my results as a whole.

It won't make any impact on your results, but you may be surprised you might do better on the day. When I did my LC, I thought the same about Irish, I was scraping along at a D(higher level) for the whole two years and figured it was the one I would leave out for points, in the end I got a B3 (still have no idea how) and it was one of my best grades and pulled me into college on my first choice.

Do your best in it, don't worry about it too much, if you're finding HL too much, consider OL on the day, better to have some grade in it than not at all. You don't know how your other exams are going to go yet. Consider it a safety net of sorts. It's nice to have a choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

My perspective on the matter: Irish will not be in my top 6 (our teacher was out for 1 and a half of the 2 years--due to other interests, but also illness. Our subs were not up to scratch).
    So, I just need to pass Irish, for college. I'm pretty sure I would pass without studying, but I'm not going to neglect it. Look, it's only another 10 days or so; you just need to push yourself to do your very best, then you have the entire summer to unwind.

Advertisement