Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geoecology Confusion ...

Options
  • 04-06-2009 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

The human impact on a biome and soil ... is there a difference? Like if you learn the Sahel Region with regards to overcropping, overgrazing, deforestation etc ... would that cover you on both?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Yeah I think so. And you can also use it as a case study in the human elective for overpopulation. That Sahel is a lifesaver :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

another question you know how you examine 3 aspects, would that be overgrazing overcopping and deforestation or desertification? im kinda confusing myself with it all ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I was just doing a question on that...I have all the facts and everything to discuss it, but it's the way that the question is worded that can throw people (like myself).

Like 2007: Examine how overcropping/overgrazing and desertification can affect soils.

The word affect is the one I'm looking at. To me, overcropping and overgrazing (and deforestation) affects soils but results in desertification. So I wouldn't include desertification as one of my factors, but rather discusss it at the end, saying that 'overcropping and overgrazing resulted in the spread of desert conditions (desertification) in this biome...etc.'

I'm kinda confusing myself so I hope I haven't confused you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

I was just doing a question on that...I have all the facts and everything to discuss it, but it's the way that the question is worded that can throw people (like myself).

Like 2007: Examine how overcropping/overgrazing and desertification can affect soils.

The word affect is the one I'm looking at. To me, overcropping and overgrazing (and deforestation) affects soils but results in desertification. So I wouldn't include desertification as one of my factors, but rather discusss it at the end, saying that 'overcropping and overgrazing resulted in the spread of desert conditions (desertification) in this biome...etc.'

I'm kinda confusing myself so I hope I haven't confused you..

Desertification is the processes that causes an environment/soils to change into a desert area.

oh yes another thing, in 2007 when it said overgrazing overcropping would you have to examine only two aspects? would they disregard your deforestation? is the Sahel a biome or a region? ahhh :pac:

• Advertisement

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Desertification is the processes that causes an environment/soils to change into a desert area.

she basically said the same thing, just worded it different

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

I dont have notes on the Sahel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

So do you think by knowing overgrazing,overcropping and desertification inside out well be covered? that all i know

• Registered Users Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Sahel is the Region.
    The Biome we studied was the North American Desert Biome.
    (Shows off) The Sonoran, the Chihuahaun, the Mojave and the Great Basin( the only Cold desert out of the 4)

(Rants on about Joshua Tree's, Jack Rabbits, Minimal Rainfall, Californian Gold Rush, Nuclear Testing...)

Advertisement