Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Financial Economics Help

• 04-06-2009 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

Have a question I'm stumped on at the moment and my the answer is prob staring me right in the face, anyway if anyone could answer this by 8 in the morning I'd be grateful!

Is the following Utility function, defined over wealth (Y), consistent with the theory of investment behaviour?

U(Y)= -exp(-yY)

Just a bried explanation or pointer to look up. Many thanks and I apologise for the seemingly stupidity of my post. Feel free to mock:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

What's lower-case y represent? ln(Y)?

Actually, what's "the theory of investment behaviour"?

I suspect the question has to do with risk aversion/diminishing marginal utility. If y = ln(y), then u'(Y) might simplify to something nice, and you might get interesting relative and absolute rates of risk aversion.

(Or I could be miles off.)

Might help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_utility

I'd imagine you're supposed to discuss risk aversion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

The Economist: yeah you were bang on with what you said!

Illegalheadbutt: Thanks!

Advertisement