Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Falling apart

Options
  • 04-06-2009 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Who else here feels they're prep work etc all falling apart?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Do you mean in general or for the English Paper2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

Well, atleast you've got prep. work to fall apart.....unlike some others out there.....*points*

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Just in general, I mean I felt I wrote a sub-par paper one, last week I was good at maths but... where'd that go? and all today i've been franticly trying to drill some fecking notes into my head against its wishes... :(

It's ok, it is normal for you to 'freak out' somewhat before exams and question what you've done.

Thing is, you've studied and you've done your prep work, that's all you can do.
    Forget about exams that are over, they're done and dusted for now.
    Concentrate on each one coming up, make sure you're getting enough fluids and food and sleep. They're all important for keeping you well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I'm beginning to feel that my prep-work is pretty much non-existent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Hey
    I go from fits of "ah **ite I did crap" to "ah sure I did grand" in regard to paper 1.To be honest I would say its only natural,You will look back in August and laugh,hopefuly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Just learn a tonne of quotes and fit them around the question. There's no way I'd be able to actually learn off an essay... Unless its Irish. But thats because I can't even speak the language hah. Still. Quotes are your best friend.

Remember if you screw this up now, you'll be spending the rest of your life cleaning lion poop up at the circus.

I'm warning you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

It's just self-doubt, it's completely normal, we're all doing it.

I can kind of keep a handle on it. I'm still doubting myself, but I know I am too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

Am I the only one who doesnt feel like they are doing the Leaving? Im not nervous for any exam, and it all seems so normal to me. Strange.

As fun as it is to laugh at lionpoop picker uppers, we shall aim for positivity please :)

Well Fuzion, my brother hasn't batted an eyelid. Then again he's not been to school since before christmas, and hasn't lifted a book since AFAIK. I'm just praying the sod is smart enough to pass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

.:FuZion:. wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesnt feel like they are doing the Leaving? Im not nervous for any exam, and it all seems so normal to me. Strange.
    Same here, though I was like this in the JC too, I'll probably start to freak out after I've done some more exams when I realise it's too late to take back all the wasted time :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I know I haven't done much but at this stage I'm not feeling too great with regard to things I did the most work on.

I feel as though over this past week of laziness I've forgotten everything I've learned in maths. Practising a few questions there and noticed that I'm making more slips than I normally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

I had alot of fun with my English paper 1 tbh.. had a very large rant at one point mid way and was like... this is quite fun.. :)

star-pants wrote: »

Well Fuzion, my brother hasn't batted an eyelid. Then again he's not been to school since before christmas, and hasn't lifted a book since AFAIK. I'm just praying the sod is smart enough to pass.

I would hate to be in that situation. :pac: I hope he passes too. :p

But like, I have been studying since around / after christmas. I still dont feel 100 % prepared for exams, but I do feel kind of confident. The thing with me is that everything has to be perfect, im very weird that way. :pac: But its suprising me that I am not nervous, and each day seems so normal. :rolleyes:
    Pygmalion wrote: »
    Same here, though I was like this in the JC too, I'll probably start to freak out after I've done some more exams when I realise it's too late to take back all the wasted time .

Im sure I was nervous for the JC thou, but I cant remember lol. Engineering today like, not one bit of nerves......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

I know a few mates of mine have completely fallen apart after the cock-up with English, I mean there were six or seven girls I know in the UL library today, quite literally, in flood of tears all day long, trying to study through everything !

I 'm tired myself, and worried about Irish. Beyond that, sure, it'll all be grand ! Once we get into the stride of things again, it will all be fine ! Or, at least, I hope !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I did my leaving cert in 2002 and can relate to what you are going through although we did not have this cock-up that you guys are going through with English paper 2.

First things first,don't panic.You've studied the last 3 months at least.You know the material,you've practiced the past papers.Panicking won't do your brain any good.

Good bullet points for notes are all you need.Learn the quotes with this format and paper 2 will be a doddle.

I did history and I had to learn dates,events and names.The bullet point approach did me wonders.It is easier to expand on bullet points that you have learned than trying to remember and regurgitate large volumes of material.

So keep calm and take a clear headed approach.Take breaks every 30 minutes when studying as the brain can only realistically stay fully focused for 20 minutes.

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    I had alot of fun with my English paper 1 tbh.. had a very large rant at one point mid way and was like... this is quite fun.. :)
    That's good!!
    I remember in my English paper (back in 2001...I feel old! lol) there was a comprehension about a man falling into a hole or something, I chose that over the political and other ones cuz it was darned funny.
    .:FuZion:. wrote: »
    I would hate to be in that situation. :pac: I hope he passes too. :p

But like, I have been studying since around / after christmas. I still dont feel 100 % prepared for exams, but I do feel kind of confident. The thing with me is that everything has to be perfect, im very weird that way. :pac: But its suprising me that I am not nervous, and each day seems so normal. :rolleyes:
    Thanks, he's been through some stuff the past while but he did sit his mocks and pass so fingers crossed he'll pass his leaving too. He's one of those annoying people who probably doesn't need to study much.
    (unlike me who slogs away!)

Sometimes it's good not to feel 100% prepared, if you're over confident that can trip you up. You've done as much as you can, just continue as you are and make sure breaks/rests are had :)
    Jeebus wrote: »
    I 'm tired myself, and worried about Irish. Beyond that, sure, it'll all be grand ! Once we get into the stride of things again, it will all be fine ! Or, at least, I hope !
    Things will get back to normal, I know twas a horrible messup and I'm sure I'd be stressed over it. But thing is, the exam is still happening, its just rearranged, so try not to let it freak you out and throw you off for other exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

CaoimH_in wrote: »

I know the feeling.

My speech turned into a FF/FG bashing rant! hehe.
    :D

LOVED IT!

Just hope that Brian Cowen isn't correcting the paper!

star-pants wrote: »
    Thanks, he's been through some stuff the past while but he did sit his mocks and pass so fingers crossed he'll pass his leaving too. He's one of those annoying people who probably doesn't need to study much.
    (unlike me who slogs away!)

Sometimes it's good not to feel 100% prepared, if you're over confident that can trip you up. You've done as much as you can, just continue as you are and make sure breaks/rests are had :)

If he passed the mocks, he will have no bothers. Naturally smart by the sound of things. :p

Thats very true. :rolleyes: Thanks for the advice, really helpful. :)

Jeebus wrote: »
    I know a few mates of mine have completely fallen apart after the cock-up with English, I mean there were six or seven girls I know in the UL library today, quite literally, in flood of tears all day long, trying to study through everything !

I've always found that Irish is a subject where you can pass if you simply get the point across.Especially with the aural/listening comprehension,it's always best to write what you think you hear or what it sounds like.Spelling wouldn't be an issue in the listening comp.

As for the English,well I was listening on the radio today on RTE Radio 1 and an english schoolteacher who was fairly confident of what was coming up before the paper leaked and was right,stated that the same poets of Yeates,Bishop and Longley were coming up.All they'll do is alter the questions.If you know the poems and the material,you shouldn't be worried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

blackbelt wrote: »
    I've always found that Irish is a subject where you can pass if you simply get the point across.Especially with the aural/listening comprehension,it's always best to write what you think you hear or what it sounds like.Spelling wouldn't be an issue in the listening comp.

As for the English,well I was listening on the radio today on RTE Radio 1 and an english schoolteacher who was fairly confident of what was coming up before the paper leaked and was right,stated that the same poets of Yeates,Bishop and Longley were coming up.All they'll do is alter the questions.If you know the poems and the material,you shouldn't be worried.

Well that's just great, now I have to take out my books and study someone who's not even on the course.....Dam You Louth!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

The best way to avoid this is by not doing any work. I think about these things advance to avoid problems!

TheManWho wrote: »
    Well that's just great, now I have to take out my books and study someone who's not even on the course.....Dam You Louth!!!!

I thought I heard "Yates" or something but definitely Longley and Bishop.I did the former for my leaving.Was listening to the show while driving home in the car this evening so was not fully focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 snowflakes

I just feel so tired! And its only beginning...

Just to clarify what I heard...it is Keats,Bishop and Longley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

i'm the same, I can't remember any of what I was good at a few weeks ago but I made a mess of my mocks because of feeling the same way and literally burnt out cramming so trying to calm myself down a bit,,
    just repeat ah sure I'll be grand 20 times and focus on what you do know instead of what you dont :)

And good Luck!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You'll remember feck all an hour before an exam because your brain keeps trying to remember everything at once.

Stay calm, read the questions carefully and you'll be surprised at how much you remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

You'll remember feck all an hour before an exam because your brain keeps trying to remember everything at once.

Stay calm, read the questions carefully and you'll be surprised at how much you remember.

This man is a liar. It is statistically impossible to remember anything you have not tattooed onto your body.

Hang on, that may have been a movie...

Advertisement