Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arts Degrees.... Who Cares

• 04-06-2009 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

In all fairness now lads,
    What would you be doin getting an arts degree??

I had an arts subject this year as part of my course and it was a complete joke...
    I really find it hard to believe it could have offered anyone much in terms of educational enlightenment.

I was living with 7 other people this year all doing arts and a lot of their modules seemed bitty and rather pointless. I know they certainly didn't think it was benefiting them much, (except for one guy doin law who came home every day telling hideously uninteresting stories....)

Just throwin this out there...
    What does everyone else think?

Do you think all your 1000 word essays and books that you're supposed to read are actually benefitting you?
    Or is most of it indeed a big pile of douche?(as i have experienced...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Pfft. Arts subjects like business and law. Who needs 'em?

I only put Arts subjects down cuz I really want to do languages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I've got a 1st class honours arts degree. And a cool hat. So, yeh, spiffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Oooohh controversial...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Meh, the plan is to get into the Community and Youth work masters after my degree in Sociology and Anthropology, relevant, no? Work for the likes of Youth reach or that. Die after being stabbed by a juvi deliquent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

You dont need to justify yourself, science penis envy is rare, fortunately. I did the old arts degree alright after my engineering cert. Getting nothing but a phd and overpaid contract lecturing work from it. Dam sociology....

• Advertisement

Damn that overpaid job of yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

Ah well. It takes more points to do Arts then it does to do most sciences.

Dont bother, either way he's on his own. I have taught science students over the years and found them both enthusiastic and modest. Either he passed on 'logic' (a mid range mark with little insight in my experience) or failed another exam. Or else its just a leaving cert student hedging his bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ste-ven

The point system doesn't go by how good a course is. It goes by course popularity

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    I've got a 1st class honours arts degree. And a cool hat. So, yeh, spiffing.

Me too. Then did an MA in a subject that most people find scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

efla wrote: »
    Dont bother, either way he's on his own. I have taught science students over the years and found them both enthusiastic and modest. Either he passed on 'logic' (a mid range mark with little insight in my experience) or failed another exam. Or else its just a leaving cert student hedging his bets.

I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my post,

I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks of the educational value of their arts subjects.
    The heading to this post is perhaps a wee bit provocative but i was not looking for that result.

I've heard that most people in the workplace largely agree that their college course is used next to never in their work, whether it's BSc, BA or BE.

Just wondering what people think of their educational value

P.s. soz for saying they were mainly a load of rubbish i was p**sed off yesterday

Thats ok, it comes up often and usually its a general 'fake science vs. real science' thing (not in this case)- you learn to be defensive, and take pride in your work. Fair question in that sense though, but it is rarely the goal of arts subjects to teach straight applicable skills (with some exceptions, like geography), more often its about critical thought and historical awareness. Not of much immediate monetary use, but hopefully valuable long term.

Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Who cares? I care! It's the only course I can do that will allow me to take the subjects I do. Also, it's handy for going in to teaching after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Jaysus I do music, I completely agree. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I'm studying Sociology and French.

I plan to a MA in Sociology, after which I would love to be able to persue a PHD in Social Research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

gra26 wrote: »
    Me too. Then did an MA in a subject that most people find scary.

How do youse not know each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

We do :D quite well.

Who cares? I care! It's the only course I can do that will allow me to take the subjects I do. Also, it's handy for going in to teaching after.

FFS!!! i'm goin editing the first post...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Well it got me my fulfilling, well paid job. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Extrafree

Yes for the most part. I passed 1st Arts this year and didin't go to a single thing so how much do you learn from attending????

Extrafree wrote: »
    Yes for the most part. I passed 1st Arts this year and didin't go to a single thing so how much do you learn from attending????

Lots, thats why you didn't do very well

...wait....results are out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Rozabeez wrote: »
    ...wait....results are out?

Just checked. Nope.
    UIT IS ANTICIPATED THAT EXAMINATION RESULTS WILL BE AVAILABLE ON THURSDAY 25TH JUNE. STAFF AT THE EXAMINATIONS OFFICE WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE, ON THE PHONE OR IN THE OFFICE, TO DEAL WITH RESULTS QUERIES UNTIL THIS DATE.

Caps are always good when talking about exam results.

/Returns to normal breathing

All depends on wat subs u duin........
    and no results arent out yet jus gettin elfa riled up lol.
    I think the arts degree is useful enough.So far

Is this not a good point?

You can get over %40 in an exam and while never reading the books or going to lectures or i know some people you didn't do any of the CA and passed....

Ye thats true but still I mean if you want to learn there is plenty to learn . Ya can also do nothing,learn nothing but pass the year :D

Good luck next year, dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

and it doesn't matter that the subjects you do might have no real world relevance just because you like them? :)

teaching jobs are going to very hard to get in coming years. same with civil services jobs.

• Advertisement

Was just saying that its a fact. I know there has to work done to pass the course but first year can be done without learning a thing.

Lets save each other the bother, these threads always end the same

What is the 'proper' way? (Since your problem with 'arts' subjects inevitably leaves you feeling the better off about your own subject choice - and may I assume poor performance - as comments such as these usually reflect)

How are you defining value? Does the line stop at technical subjects? Sociology? History? Biology? Geography? Is there a scale of merit? What separates sociology/history/geography/music/biology/physics?

Specifically. - not 'I did nothing and passed' - since we already know you did as little as possible - which is a disciplinary universal in third level for borderline passes, irrespective of content

Was that a reply to me Efla??
    The morale of what I was trying to say is with arts you can learn as much or as little as you want to learn and still possibly manage to pass the course either way?Agreed??:D

Was that a reply to me Efla??
    The morale of what I was trying to say is with arts you can learn as much or as little as you want to learn and still possibly manage to pass the course either way?Agreed??:D

No.

You can learn as much or as little as you want to and still possibly manage to pass any course in third level. It has nothing to do with the subject and everything to do with the individual.

Unless you want to reveal your inter-faculty dataset of student psych profiles, marking trends, curve-grading systems and external standards over time?

Before you reply - I have done 'real' subjects (by your imagining) - I passed first year engineering calculus without any notion of what I was doing, little work, and.....a crappy grade! (but a pass nonetheless - a pass: 40, is not a good grade), same with physics.

You see, sadly it doesnt take much to get a passing grade in anything. (And there is a whole other argument about marks and standards - it is criminal what people get away with)

Arts subjects are as challenging as you make them, everything is a choice. Just like your weekly timetable, no one forces you to come, and equally, no one forces you to challenge yourself - our marks and standards take care of that.

So, you chose. You chose to immerse yourself in millenia of thought from the best minds of our civilisation, examine the profound effects of social thought on social policy throughout the 20th century, learn about the development of capitalism and world democracy and how its form conditions everything about your daily life (including your study habits and internet usage, ironically) - or download the diet moodle notes and scrape your way through.

Then congratualte yourself for 'knowing the inside story' about how easy it is.

We all know how 'easy' it is, the other way is much more rewarding.

I've never seen someone say so little in so many words. This has become a pointless thread. Later Elfa.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Who's ''Elfa'' ?? Extrafree... stick with it, at least you might come out of your degree with some level of literacy

• Advertisement

Cheers .Think it's clear elfa gained nothing anyway.:D

Whats your problem with Efla? Just out of curiosity?

Oh no problem just took what I said out of context and went ape on it!:D Was trying to make a simple point and he made it out as if I was a waster.

Oh no problem just took what I said out of context and went ape on it!:D Was trying to make a simple point and he made it out as if I was a waster.

Argue back

I'm speaking from experience

Sounds extremely like you have a problem to me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Arts...degree?

No.

You can learn as much or as little as you want to.......

No offence but this has nothing to with the title post and you seemed to have missed the point on several occasions during this thread.

Are you per chance involved in politics?

In fairness, it was about all I could reasonably argue against.

"Do you think all your 1000 word essays and books that you're supposed to read are actually benefitting you?
    Or is most of it indeed a big pile of douche?(as i have experienced...)"

Doesnt really give much to go on.

By my understanding, the thread is about both the values of arts degrees, and the value/amount of work required to earn them. My point is that marks and standards are such that the argument for minimum work/minimum reward (a pass) holds across all faculties, not just arts.

A point I made in my earlier posts.

What then exactly were you asking in the title post?

In fairness, it was about all I could reasonably argue against.

"Do you think all your 1000 word essays and books that you're supposed to read are actually benefitting you?
    Or is most of it indeed a big pile of douche?(as i have experienced...)"

Well you just said it there!
    It's about if you think the arts subjects you have done have benefited you in any way?
    It was about the educational value of ARTS!!!!!!

Is it worthwhile or is it douche!
    How much more clear could it be?

Also if you say you weren't sure what it was about to begin with why would you post on it? That's almost as foolish as "protest voting" in the local elections!!!

Effluo wrote: »
    Is it worthwhile or is it douche!
    How much more clear could it be?

Wow, thanks. 'Douce' is crystal clear. Its a wonder I didnt just speak in terms of worthwhile vs. Douche.

You know, instead of the above arguments.

Why did you really start this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think there's too much of a spread of subjects for my liking. I much prefer the idea of studying just the subject I want from day one. There's something unfair in comparing someone who studied archaeology (for example) solidly for the duration of their degree with someone who only focused solely on that subject in their final year, previous years mixing in plenty of random subjects.

Is there actually a distinction made?

kowloon wrote: »

In terms of marks? Doesnt seem to be much of an issue in Maynooth since most single honours degrees are first year reg. Are you talking in terms of major/minor choices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 jane says

kowloon wrote: »
    I think there's too much of a spread of subjects for my liking. I much prefer the idea of studying just the subject I want from day one. There's something unfair in comparing someone who studied archaeology (for example) solidly for the duration of their degree with someone who only focused solely on that subject in their final year, previous years mixing in plenty of random subjects.

Do you know the structure of an arts degree at Maynooth?? It's not the same as liberal arts, or something like UCD Horizons. There's not that much freedom generally in nuim.

But you are right, there is a significant difference between doing something as arts and as a single subject, in terms of the credits studied.

Wow, thanks. 'Douce' is crystal clear. Its a wonder I didnt just speak in terms of worthwhile vs. Douche.

You know, instead of the above arguments.

Why did you really start this thread?

????
    You know douche?
    As in douche-bag

And wtf do you mean? "why did you start this thread?"

hahahaha
    Oh right now i know why I "really" started this thread!

It's obviously because i'm a douche bag and it's what douche bags do!
    They talk DOUCHE!

And my aim from posting a query to arts students about what i believed to be their douchey subjects was to rather than see their point of view, but to just annoy evertone talking about douche and in particular annoy you about doucheing me off.................

Only joking but in fairness...
    You really seem to have got this thread completely mixed and mashed(maybe you looked into this a wee bit too much) and i'm sorry i said anything to begin with :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

jane says wrote: »
    Do you know the structure of an arts degree at Maynooth?? It's not the same as liberal arts, or something like UCD Horizons. There's not that much freedom generally in nuim.

But you are right, there is a significant difference between doing something as arts and as a single subject, in terms of the credits studied.

I haven't a clue how it's all structured, I gather UCD have a similar style to the US colleges in that they're more akin to secondary school with a very wide range of subjects than degrees in a single area.
    Is this correct?

• Advertisement
Advertisement