Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus & reinstalling modem?

Options
  • 04-06-2009 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone will have a solution to this. When we originally got chorus broadband we had a motorola modem and a cd for installation. Almost a year ago, we got our phone & broadband both with Chorus, this meant we got a new modem. Chorus came and installed it, however I cannot remember if we were given a cd for installation, I can only find the old one. I'm asking this because I plan to wipe my pc soon and reinstall my OS. I would want to set up my modem again, how would I do that :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

if you connect with a Ethernet cable you wont have to do anything just plug in the cable into the computer and it works ( as long as you install the drivers for you network card)

a picture of a Ethernet cable is attached

if you connect with a usb cable you will possibly will need an installation cd if you have lost the cd you should be able to find to software on the internet (contact me if you want help finding it)

brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I've never understood why routers came with installation disks. What are they for? Every computer has ethernet drivers and wireless drivers of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

dunworth1 wrote: »
    if you connect with a Ethernet cable you wont have to do anything just plug in the cable into the computer and it works ( as long as you install the drivers for you network card)

a picture of a Ethernet cable is attached

if you connect with a usb cable you will possibly will need an installation cd if you have lost the cd you should be able to find to software on the internet (contact me if you want help finding it)

brian

Yeah it's ethernet, thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

mobius42 wrote: »
    I've never understood why routers came with installation disks. What are they for? Every computer has ethernet drivers and wireless drivers of its own.

Because not everyone is comfortable/capable of manually configuring thier router and the easy way to do it is have a CD with a Step by step configuration tool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

mobius42 wrote: »

also because of the drivers for usb

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dunworth1 wrote: »
    also because of the drivers for usb

Therea are surely very very few people now using usb for routing? And besides it is not recommendable provided ethernet is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

true but ethernet isn't always an option, i know i've had laptops in the past [and still have somewhere] what havn't had a built in ethernet port and needed a plug in card for it, it's a case of allowing backwards conmpatability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

You'd be surprised with the amount of unecessary USB connections out there.

Besides the people who's PC's are older and don't have ethernet ports, and are unaware that you can buy a network card for a few quid (or unaware of how to install it if they could buy it), you have plenty of user error.

I've seen and heard of people who have wireless, routers so they plug the router into the modem via ethernet, and because of not knowing what they're doing, then plug the modem into the pc via USB, not knowing that they can route the pc from the ports in the back of the router.

Or people that don't have routers and have games consoles connected through ethernet, and the pc through USB.

(That one was a friend of mine who I still slag to this day!:P)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i got a usb to ethernet adapter free with some piece of networking kit or other a couple of years ago and you'd be surprised how often i've needed it when people have been missing or got faulty ethernet ports on laptops and even desktops. dead handy little yoke and windows and linux both have built in drivers for it so no messing, totally plug and play. :)

Advertisement