Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cane syrup

Options
  • 04-06-2009 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭

I am on the lookout for a few things for mojito making this weekend if anybody can help out. In Dublin by the way

Cane syrup - tried Fallon and Byrne, no luck
    Seltzer soda
    Superfine sugar
    Cuban Yerba Buena mint

I expect the first and last to be pretty tough to find, having no luck myself

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Orby

Cane syrup- think this is same as Lyle's Golden Syrup
    Seltzer - regular soda water
    Superfine sugar - icing sugar?
    Yerba Buena mint- think this is just variety of mint. Regular mint prob ok

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Cane syrup is not the same as golden syrup, it is clear.
    I think you can get Mojito kits, I saw one in a newspaper advert a couple of weeks ago.
    If you are in the North, Sainsburys have lots of that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

For a cane syrup substitute, bring 1lb. sugar and 1 cup water to a boil, with a few drops of lemon juice, and simmer for about 20mins or until thickened to a syrup consistency.

Superfine sugar is the american term for caster sugar. Caster dissolves easier than granulated. You don't want to use packaged icing sugar as it usually has cornflour added.

You could try blending spearmint & peppermint for flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Thanks for the posts everybody

Am trying a few small variations on the mojito recipe, from Esquire.

I had that mojito kit CJhaughey, highly recommend it. Don't really want to buy a full one again though, just get the single ingredients.

Supposedly Yerba Bueno mint is really nice proper mint, I'm just being a snob :P normal mint will of course work, was just wondering if that was even in Ireland.

Might try your suggestion some time Magic Monkey. Fallon and Byrne had every type of syrup but cane syrup ! Will have a look in Superquinn today and see if they have it, its not essential though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Get some nice pale unrefined cane sugar and make a syrup with it.

IIRC someone on here was offering root stock for the Cuban mint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Any idea where I may find sugar syrup ? It came with that mojito set and I found it to be particularly good

Will make some myself if I cant find any, but would be handy to know a place I can get it if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

I am on the lookout for a few things for mojito making this weekend if anybody can help out. In Dublin by the way

Cane syrup - tried Fallon and Byrne, no luck
    Seltzer soda
    Superfine sugar
    Cuban Yerba Buena mint

I expect the first and last to be pretty tough to find, having no luck myself

I can help with the last if you want to grow your own.

MT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

How about trying a Carribbean/African shop?

Advertisement