Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls who swear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Kiera wrote: »
    Jesus Christ you're hard work!

Your sarky tone didnt sit well with me. I'm not "oh so liberal". I swear, a lot. I dont act like a fishwife and scream down the street. I dont swear in front of my nieces or nephews or any of my friends kids as i dont believe in it BUT i wouldnt give out to someone for doing it. I mean you cant wrap them in cotton wool all their lives.

If i had a kid i wouldnt take offence of someone swearing. There are a lot worse things out there to get your knickers in a knot over.

I swear a fair amount myself, but not in front of kids, just like you said there. The sarky tone I was using wasn't directed at people who censor themselves for the benefit of others (I guess in your case, your brothers or sisters, or possibly your nieces or nephews if you don't want them to hear swearing), it was directed at the people who say 'oh, it's just using the language, I'll use it however I want and in front of whoever I want'.

For example, I've noticed recently that many people use the word 'rape' as a throw-away term for something bad, 'we got raped last night in football' etc. That word has a meaning, and a horrendous one at that. Maybe it's naive of me, but I just don't find that to be appropriate language.

And I know I can't wrap her in cotton wool all her life, and I certainly don't, but there are some things I'd rather she hear/experience at an older age. My mate often jokes about his brother and sister-in-law who constantly swear in front of their kids, one of whom told his nana to 'f*ck off, I don't want that' at the age of 2.

And yes, I am hard work ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Does anybody else have a bit of a problem with this?

No.

I swear almost constantly, why should they not be allowed?

That said, most of my female (and male for that matter) friends don't tend to swear that much.

But one of them used to swear at least once per sentence and it never bothered me. She gave it up for lent though and has managed to stay off it. But that was due to the fact that she was afraid she'd do it in front of a patient and not because she felt she swore too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Terry wrote: »
    What's inapropriate about it?
    Is it only inapropriate if it's a hot chick?
    I ask this because you deemed it necessary to mention that the girl in question was good looking. You even added the tag word "pretty"
    Would you have started this thread if she wasn't good looking?
    Probably not, no.
    Personally, I think when any girl talks about pretty explicit stuff using swearwords, in a public place, she does make a pretty bad impression. It's just all the more unfortunate/ unexpected when she's quite pretty.
    Out of curiosity OP, what age are you? Are you religious or brought up in a strict family?
    Ok, 23. Church is just for Christmas. Family, strict no... manners, absolutely. I have all sisters, so believe me I'm not a woman hater, I get on great with girls.

Guys feel the need to use expletives to register anger or surprise or misfortune with each other, it's a shortcoming maybe, but it's how we often communicate and it's become a trait more aligned to the male.
    Obviously guys using expletives at full volume anywhere public like the steret or on a pitch in just as rude, however; it's bad manners.

But with girls, there is something of a lower threshold I guess. Who wants to bring a girl home who is going to desribe in every few sentences how she was "off her gee" last night or "effing bolloxed"??

I'm not trying to be sexist, nor am I trying to be politically correct about it. In every facet of life, men expect different things of women than they do of themselves and women expect different things of men than they do of themselves - just have a look at some of the girls' comments in the metrosexual/ hair thread.

Girls, would you feel a little bit less attracted to a guy if he was borrowing your eyeliner and your skinny jeans?

The fact is, men (not always, but largely) admire feminine qualities in a woman, and women (not always, but largely) prefer men to be more masculine than themselves.
    Women swearing makes them that bit less feminine I guess, and takes away from their appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

My ex swore she'd never leave me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭5318008!

I don't mind the odd profane exclamation, like in a genuine emergency, but does anyone else find girls who swear a bit vulgar? Growing up I didn't know any girls who swore, but they seem to be everywhere now.

I walked by a really pretty girl in Trinity this evening, she was on the phone and seemed to be talking casually about a night out after exams, except she was swearing like a sailor - espressions that my mates and I wouldn't even use.

It's not that I think guys should swear a lot, I think anybody swearing loudly in public is rude... but somehow it's just far worse when it's a girl.

What do girls think of this?
    Do any other guys find it really, really unattractive?

In case anyone here missed the point of this troll, i've highlighted it in bold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

I don't mind the odd profane exclamation, like in a genuine emergency, but does anyone else find girls who swear a bit vulgar? Growing up I didn't know any girls who swore, but they seem to be everywhere now.

I walked by a really pretty girl in Trinity this evening, she was on the phone and seemed to be talking casually about a night out after exams, except she was swearing like a sailor - espressions that my mates and I wouldn't even use.

It's not that I think guys should swear a lot, I think anybody swearing loudly in public is rude... but somehow it's just far worse when it's a girl.

What do girls think of this?
    Do any other guys find it really, really unattractive?

stop being such a pussy and tell us exactly what expressions she was using ?

how can people comment properly if they dont know the details ?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Yes, for flip's sake, do elaborate please

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I have to agree with the OP, Women swearing is a major turn off.
    I don't know about any of you guys but I think swearing takes away from a womans "delicate" charm as the fairer sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

5318008! wrote: »
    In case anyone here missed the point of this troll, i've highlighted it in bold.
    :confused:What are you on about? The point is it was in the centre of town.
    stop being such a pussy and tell us exactly what expressions she was using ?

how can people comment properly if they dont know the details ?
    I believe the exact phrases used were "I was shítting my f*cking load", "I have never been so bolloxed" she might have added "lad" to that.

It just got me thinking about girls in general and the use of foul language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭xcarriex

Ah you should pop to a ladies loo in most night clubs on a night out, i have heard so pretty funnily explicit phrases, none as funny as 2 girls discussing there mate who was presumably been v promiscious with some young chap, apparently she was practically,

"Rubbing her rat in his face"

Lets just say i was glad i was on the toilet haha, not pleseant languge, i do enjoy been the more delicate of the sexes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I didnt realise women had achieved the right to free speech yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭5318008!

:confused:What are you on about? The point is it was in the centre of town.

No the point is to make people think trinity students are uptight and self-righteous :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

In all fcukin fairness who gives a fcuk how many fcukin swear words a fcukin girl comes out with no matter how fcukin hot she is. Shes entitled to her fcukin free speech just like the fcukin rest of us.Fcuk fcukitty fcuk fcuk fcuk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

What's all this crap about swearing like a sailor or a fishwife? Does the sea make people swear more? Wait a second, I live near the sea. That explains everything!

OP, grow up. Remove the shackles of 1950's life that were thrust upon you at some point in the last 23 years. Women swearing is sexy. Very sexy.

This thread's tags:
    bollox, fúck, girl, phone, pretty, stop, swearing

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

For the "I'm oh so liberal, I'll swear wherever I want, and everyone should be allowed to curse" people in this thread...

I do take offense to people swearing loudly and regularly in public; perhaps if you had a 7 year old daughter (or any young children) you might feel the same way. They listen to everything, and question words they don't understand.

That is, unless you find a 7 year old using phrases like 'fucking cunt' charming or something... But then again, you are oh so liberal!
    First off, I didn't quote it, but I agree completely with you point about rape.
    I know the terms you mean. Face rape, eyeball rape and so forth.
    It's normally used here in that context by 16 year olds discovering 4chan for the first time or 30 year olds who don't have lives.

So I was walking down the road the other day and generic skanger mother and friend are trying to get a toddler to curse.*
    I was a bit disgusted, but didn't say anything. None of my business and all that.

So I thought about it later and I then wondered why I was disgusted.
    They were trying to get her to say fúck.
    I refer you back to my previous post in this thread regarding that word.
    We all had our dictionarys in primary school and that was the first word we looked up. Followed by sex (which was blacked out by a girl in my class in her Irish/English dictionary (yes, HD, I remember back that far)).

Here's the thing.
    You tell a child not to put a fork in the socket. What's the first thing they do when you're not around?**

So we have a list of words which are deemed unacceptable.
    Why are they deemed unacceptable.
    Nobody has ever been able to give me a completely valid reason for not saying these words.

People of AH. Can you give me a reason not to use them?
    A good reason. Not a prudish 19th century value passed down from your ancestors. A really good reason not to use these descriptive words.

What's the difference between calling someone a cúntbag or a dickhead?
    Saying that someone is a complete and utter shít head or a complete and utter tosser?

Work with me here. Give me some valid reasons not to use these words.
    Probably not, no.
    So it's just hot chicks then.
    Fair enough. Each to their own and all that. I'm not going to judge you.
    The users of AH will, but I wont.
    Well, maybe a little.

Personally, I think when any girl talks about pretty explicit stuff using swearwords, in a public place, she does make a pretty bad impression. It's just all the more unfortunate/ unexpected when she's quite pretty.
    I don't even know why I'm entertaining this complete and utter crap (why can't I say bollox instead of crap?), but go ahead and tell me why it's more unfortunate when it's a good looking woman.

*It happened closer to home, but I have to be careful.
    **I never stuck a fork in a socket, but I did stick my finger in a light socket. Blew me off the chair and I was left with two little circles on my finger. I think I was 5 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I dated this amazing woman back in the early 90s who was absolutely brilliant in every sense of the word.

She was warm and outgoing, incredibly talented and athletic, but she swore like a drunken sailor.

This made it very awkward when being around my clean-cut, middle class American family. So much to the point that we ended up splitting up over it.

Somedays I sit around and think about 'what could have been' and think about all of the good times that we had.

<<sigh>>

God, I miss that dirty cocksucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Terry wrote: »
    A really good reason not to use these descriptive words.

Are they descriptive? There's nothing descriptive about "I was f* going to the f* shop and I bought a f* bar" etc.
    As for the more "colourful" language, I'd call it descriptive/useful in the same way a car crash is fascinating.
    They also start losing any effect when overused, and become pointless, dull, yet still unpleasant on the ear. They don't convey a particular message anymore and turn into a nasty habit that you'll tolerate listening to, but could really do without. They can often be a substitute for complete ineloquence in everyday conversations, ime.

Christ I feel like I've just swallowed a dictionary here :rolleyes:

Oh and talking dirty is a whole other ballgame :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I walked by a really pretty girl in Trinity this evening, she was on the phone and seemed to be talking casually about a night out after exams, except she was swearing like a sailor - espressions that my mates and I wouldn't even use. Do any other guys find it really, really unattractive?

What have you got against sailors? How do you know they swear so much? Frankly, your'e sailor bashing is disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cara mcstepho

Go back to 1940 spa. I've gotten all my best swear words from my mother. Today I was in the car with her and she yelled out ''there's some c**t up my hole'' referring to some dude getting too close to the back bumper. love girls who swear...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Go back to 1940 spa.

Banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Today I was in the car with her and she yelled out ''there's some c**t up my hole'' referring to some dude getting too close to the back bumper. love girls who swear...

She did a very silly, and dangerous thing. Everybody knows she should have put pedal to the metal and under-taken him. Pff. Don't get mad get even etc

/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Right so. Swearing yeah? You're all a pack of cunty fucky bolloxy shtbricky mofoing conan obrien mofo cuntfaced cócksucker wankbags....

Swearing yeah? You're all a pack of cunty fucky bolloxy shtbricky mofoing conan obrien mofo cuntfaced cócksucker wankbags....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Loopy wrote: »
    You know it Kiera you durty, filty, mother fcuking slut..
    Hows your growler?
    You saw mine.
    How is yours?

Don't you know love is stronger than Jesus?

I believe the weather is on the turn for the weekend.

I eat pink butterflies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Abigayle wrote: »
    I believe the weather is on the turn for the weekend.

and my bro is driving to the airport to get a plane to greace.....:mad:

woke me up in the process....:mad:

:mad:

I eat pink butterflies.

So I hear.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I eat pink butterflies.

:eek: Awesome :D pics or its not true :D

• Advertisement

:eek: Awesome :D pics or its not true :D
    My pics wouldnt be as awesome as your pic with your scarf ;)

Advertisement