Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Named Driver insurance help

• 05-06-2009 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Like anyone starting driving,its expensive to get insurance.Im 19 years of age,male and on a provisional license.Im getting quotes of 3-4k on a 00 1l opel corsa so as a result i want to go under my dads insurance till i get my full license.

My dad has a opel astra and i have a opel corsa with no insurance.Hes joined hibernian insurance.Iv think hes has to get an open insurance with his principal insurance on my car.This in turn allows him to drive his astra and still allows be to be insured.Im looking for suggestions so please anyone that can help let me know.Whats the best way to get myself insured under my dads insurance and for how much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,942 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What your proposing is known as 'fronting' and is illegal - the first driver has to be the primary driver. But anyway...

The easiest way about it is to keep your dad's insurance on his Astra as normal and let him get a second policy on the Corsa with him as primary and you as named. A middle aged man with no/low points on a small car is going to get a very low quote and the named driver added to it won't add a huge amount. His NCB cannot be used on two cars at once, and I doubt he's going to want to take it off the Astra as that would have higher insurance to begin with.

The quotes your getting are ridiculous though, when I was around that age with a provisional I was paying 1500 on a 1.1, 3 year old car. Who have you been trying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

His policy wouldnt cover him to drive the Astra anyway if its on the Corsa as he owns the Astra. One of the exceptions to the driving other car rules is that its not your own car or yours spouses. otherwise everyone and their wife/GF would only have one policy and be drivign multiple cars between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I take it the primary driver of the car has to be the "owner" of the vehicle? And OP, ring around to companies, brokers, everybody! You'll definitely find something better than the quotes you've been getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Id put the car under my dads name.I cant get a Named driver insurance with the corsa under my name(or so im told).When you say get a second policy, is that with Hibernian or do i have to join a different company.

Until i get my full license,quotes for me are gonna be high.Insurance companies hate me :(.I have to wait 6 months before i can apply for the full then :(.Im planning on getting off the named driver asap,just for the next few months itl have to be that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

You are a young man, so in car insurance terms, you're a HIV+ professional boxer with leprosy who does some stunt work when he's out of prison for unprovoked grievous bodily harm.

Just bite the bullet, pay up and earn a no claims bonus of your own.

• Advertisement

Fol20 wrote: »
    Id put the car under my dads name.I cant get a Named driver insurance with the corsa under my name(or so im told).When you say get a second policy, is that with Hibernian or do i have to join a different company.

He'll need to have 2policies. So if your gettign a quote for him as the main driver on the Corsa and you as the named driver, you'll have to get it with him having no no claims bonus.

Ok my dad rang hibernian,asked them to take out a second policy on a corsa and put me as the named driver of the corsa.They flat out said no,they cant do that and that he cant take out a second policy on a second car as thats illeagal.I find this hard to believe so can any body help me out pls.

I find this hard to believe so can any body help me out pls.

You are, in actual fact, going to be the main driver of the Corsa. Why would the insurance let your Dad insure it for less by pretending he's the main driver?

The only way to get away with this is to have a mother/uncle/whatever who has a full license but no car of their own. Then you pretend it's their car and that they are the main driver, and get named. I'm not sure what happens to that insurance if you have a big accident and the company starts investigating, though.

BTW, when you say:
    i have a opel corsa with no insurance
    I hope you don't mean you're driving it. It's a serious offence, and you can get into big trouble, anyone you hit can be seriously out of pocket, and anyone you hurt has to be paid for by a levy on all of us insured drivers.

For what you are trying to pull of OP you and your dad have to swap cars. i.e. put the astra in your name and the corsa in his. He can then insure the corsa with you as a named driver and drive the astra(which is in your name) using the driving other cars rule. Keep in mind though that he will be only covered 3rd party on the astra.

From what I have heard in here some company's what the 2nd car to be insured in order to use driving other cars and some dont, I know for sure that Quinn do not require the 2nd car to have a policy.

Now a sensible comment: Id advise you to go down as a named driver on the astra, practice driving(in the astra) and get your full license and then get your own policy on the corsa.

Also plenty of people have two cars insured so I dont know why Hibernian said it was illegal.

He can then insure the corsa with you as a named driver and drive the astra(which is in your name) using the driving other cars rule. Keep in mind though that he will be only covered 3rd party on the astra.

The Astra will have no insurance disc or policy, and therefore no tax, unless you have a scam for getting around those rules, too.
    Also plenty of people have two cars insured so I dont know why Hibernian said it was illegal.

It isn't illegal. What's illegal is declaring Dad as the owner/main driver on both when Fol20 is actually the owner and main driver of the Corsa. I don't believe any insurance company will fall for "I'm the main driver on two cars and my uninsurable son is named on the crappy one".

• Advertisement

Zube wrote: »
    The Astra will have no insurance disc or policy, and therefore no tax, unless you have a scam for getting around those rules, too.

There is always a way. Its not illegal to insure the corsa and drive the astra under the driving other cars rule by the way.
    It isn't illegal. What's illegal is declaring Dad as the owner/main driver on both when Fol20 is actually the owner and main driver of the Corsa. I don't believe any insurance company will fall for "I'm the main driver on two cars and my uninsurable son is named on the crappy one"

His exact words were having a second policy on another car is illegal, I had presumed the corsa would be going in his fathers name also in this case.

If you read the rest of my post I actually advised the OP not to down this route and to get his full license as a named driver on the astra.

There is always a way.

Does it involve colour photocopiers?

Does it involve colour photocopiers?

No that would be illegal and driving without tax would be a much better option. There may be plenty of tax left on the car and if not it could be taxed for a year before getting rid if the policy that on it at the moment.

I can also remember a friend of mine taxing a car he was driving using the other cars rule I think he just gave the policy number on his own car and it wasnt noticed but I cannot remember correctly but he was definitely able to tax it.

I will say it again, there is nothing illegal about insuring a car and driving another under the driving other cars extension. The only grey area here is that fact the OP would be driving the corsa as the main driver.

I will say it again, there is nothing illegal about insuring a car and driving another under the driving other cars extension.

I will ask again - where do you get an Insurance disc for the uninsured Astra?

I will ask again - where do you get an Insurance disc for the uninsured Astra?

You dont, you just keep your insurance cert on you and if stopped at a checkpoint explain that you are driving the car using the driving other cars extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No that would be illegal and driving without tax would be a much better option. There may be plenty of tax left on the car and if not it could be taxed for a year before getting rid if the policy that on it at the moment.

I can also remember a friend of mine taxing a car he was driving using the other cars rule I think he just gave the policy number on his own car and it wasnt noticed but I cannot remember correctly but he was definitely able to tax it.

I will say it again, there is nothing illegal about insuring a car and driving another under the driving other cars extension. The only grey area here is that fact the OP would be driving the corsa as the main driver.

Insurance companies specify that if you insure one car and have the "driving of other cars" clause in your policy that you or your spouse do not own the other car you're driving. So if his Dad insured the Corsa it would be illegal for him to drive the Astra as he owns it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Smileyx

I'm a 21 girl with my full licence and I'm insured as a named driver on my dads policy.
    My dad has a jeep and him and my mum are on that insurance policy-the jeep is in my dads name.
    My car is also in my dads name- so how come he's able to have two insurance policies??

You dont, you just keep your insurance cert on you and if stopped at a checkpoint explain that you are driving the car using the driving other cars extension.

That's illegal right there. You are required to display a valid insurance disc - on the spot €60 fine.

Smileyx wrote: »
    My car is also in my dads name- so how come he's able to have two insurance policies??

Shhh! Don't let on!

Insurance companies specify that if you insure one car and have the "driving of other cars" clause in your policy that you or your spouse do not own the other car you're driving. So if his Dad insured the Corsa it would be illegal for him to drive the Astra as he owns it.

I said in an earlier post that the astra would have to be transferred to the OP's name.
    That's illegal right there. You are required to display a valid insurance disc - on the spot €60 fine.

Its not a long term option to drive a car(which has no other policy) using the driving other cars rule, its common enough though were the 2nd car is actually insured i.e a mother insures performance car(in her name), son insures small car(in his name) and they drive each others cars, I dont do this btw and never have but I know it is being done.

Anyway I know from experience if you are stopped at a checkpoint and show an ins cert the chances of getting fined for no disc would be tiny. But again I will admit its not a long term option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

i'm confused.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I've heard this from a couple of customers who have bought new cars from me but haven't sold their old car yet - the insurance company wouldn't insure them on two cars!

I'm not sure why, but it's happened a number of times.

OP, be in no doubt that if you mislead your insurance company with regards to who is the primary driver, where the car is kept, or any other material fact, it'll put you in a tough position if you ever need to claim on your policy...

-Chris- wrote: »
    I've heard this from a couple of customers who have bought new cars from me but haven't sold their old car yet - the insurance company wouldn't insure them on two cars!

I'm not sure why, but it's happened a number of times.

I dont really understand this either, I know my uncle has two cars insured and he said he is not even paying a big premium. It probably depends on the insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Possibly, I know at least one of my customers are with Hibernian - maybe it's just them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

-Chris- wrote: »

OP, be in no doubt that if you mislead your insurance company with regards to who is the primary driver, where the car is kept, or any other material fact, it'll put you in a tough position if you ever need to claim on your policy...

It shouldnt be too much hassle, you are insured on the car afterall. I assume you could just say you dont normally drive the car! Also i assume in terms of a garda checkpoint, nothing can be said to you either! I've been doing what the OP is proposing for a few years now. Never any trouble though. Never crashed/had to claim though!:)

Zonda999 wrote: »
    It shouldnt be too much hassle, you are insured on the car afterall.

No, if you told lies on your paperwork, then you look insured, you feel insured, but when push comes to shove and you need insurance, the company will investigate and deny your cover, so you aren't really insured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

No, if you told lies on your paperwork, then you look insured, you feel insured, but when push comes to shove and you need insurance, the company will investigate and deny your cover, so you aren't really insured.

Fair enough! To the OP, though he reckons it'll be about 3k, compared to what, about 1k under his father?? Thats a pretty tempting saving of about 2k€

BTW, i imagine this scenario is very common among young drivers all over the country. I suppose most would go under their parents.

I suppose most would go under their parents.

When you're young and paying big bucks is exactly when having a no claims bonus is most useful. Insuring under your parents name may save you a lot this year, but in 2 years time you may wish you had 2 years NCB in your own name.

Fair enough! To the OP, though he reckons it'll be about 3k, compared to what, about 1k under his father?? Thats a pretty tempting saving of about 2k€

Will it be €1k though? I'd say thats including the NCB that he cant use seeing as he neds it for his own policy.

A middle aged man with 0 ncb with a young male with 0 ncb on the policy will be more than €1k imo

• Advertisement

After reading your comments since my last post,im still kinda confused.I will restate what i want to do.For the first 6 months until i get my full license i want to be a named driver.I want to put my corsa under my dads name,for him to get a second policy on the corsa and have me as a named driver.Being a named driver for the corsa will cost around 1200 for both me and my dad on the corsa.

After reading your comments since my last post,im still kinda confused.I will restate what i want to do.For the first 6 months until i get my full license i want to be a named driver.I want to put my corsa under my dads name,for him to get a second policy on the corsa and have me as a named driver.Being a named driver for the corsa will cost around 1200 for both me and my dad on the corsa.

Yes, but are you gettin gthat €1200 quote on the corse by putting down that your dad has a NCB?

He will still be using his Astra , correct? Therefore his NCB is in use on the Astra and the quote for your Corsa will be for your dad with a new policy and 0 years NCB, plus you as a named driver with 0 years NCB.

His ncb will be on the astra and not on the corsa

His ncb will be on the astra and not on the corsa

Yeah thats what I was saying, The quote for him on the corsa and you as a named driver both with no ncb just seemed low is all.

When i stated earlier it was a corsa i was inquiring about, this was the car i was intending to get.Now i decided a punto maybe the better choice and found a very good bargain.I got a quote for a 1.2 corsa for 1400 from quinn.Keep in mind this is full insurance.I put a deposit down on the punto thinking there couldnt be much of a difference between a 1.2 corsa and a 1.2 punto in terms of insurance.Little did i know but when i rang up quinn direct asked could i switch the quote from a 1.2 corsa to a 1.2 punto,they said the new price is 2560 :eek:.
    Now i dont have a clue what im going to do.the car i put a deposit on is perfect like and really good value.Now i may have to resort back to corsas purely because of the insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

To answer your OP your dad can take out a separate policy for the Corsa. You will need to change the car into his name first. When he calls the insurance company he can't tell them that you are the main driver or else they will up the quote. Its not technically illegal but most companies won't entertain you if they know the REAL truth. The benefits will be 1. your dad building up a second NCB which would come in handy if he wanted a second car and 2. you are building up named driver experience which will benefit you when you decide to go on your own.

For your second question, its more expensive to insure a Punto over a Corsa because the Punto is a lot faster than you would think. My local scrap yard took in 7 crashed Puntos in May. I imagine the amount of claims for Punto crashes make companies put them in a high risk category.

• Advertisement

i was expecting it to go up by 2-300 i was expecting to pay like 17-1800 not 2500

Super rush,by any chance do you know if ford fiesta would be cheaper again to corsa.Im just checking because at this stage id go with the cheapest insurance policy possible,even though it may not be the car id want.

Are you still going to get insured under your dads name??

super-rush wrote: »
    To answer your OP your dad can take out a separate policy for the Corsa. You will need to change the car into his name first. When he calls the insurance company he can't tell them that you are the main driver or else they will up the quote. Its not technically illegal but most companies won't entertain you if they know the REAL truth. The benefits will be 1. your dad building up a second NCB which would come in handy if he wanted a second car and 2. you are building up named driver experience which will benefit you when you decide to go on your own.

For your second question, its more expensive to insure a Punto over a Corsa because the Punto is a lot faster than you would think. My local scrap yard took in 7 crashed Puntos in May. I imagine the amount of claims for Punto crashes make companies put them in a high risk category.

I cant see how you can drive a 1.2 Puinto with 60bhp and a 0-60 time of just under 14s any faster than a Corsa with 73BHP and 12s 0-60.

EDIT. I think thats the 8v, the 16v has a few BHP more than the corsa, but still, we're talking about 2 slow cars here.

I dont know either but i had a punto a few years back as a loaner and it was miles quicker than the corsa my mate was driving. He told me his first car was a punto and it was rapid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There's some truth to this - I had a Punto for 3 years and a few insurance agents told me over the phone that they look for a higher premium with Puntos.

In fairness, they are nippy cars around the city, and quick off the mark.

OMG WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The quote i got for 1400 is now invalid.I rang them today to double check it since im getting so much hassle.I was onto them for about a half hour and they told me 3 things were wrong with it.

1)The price was wrong and is actually 1500
    2)They put me down as a female instead of a male(youd wonder how they did this since my name is Finbarr)
    3)they put it down as a named driver and not a full driver(again how would they do this when i gave them one name,not 2)

I told them i dealt with a guy called "Andrew".They told me,hes now gone from the company.

I was wondering do i have any legal standing with the original quote since they said it was valid for 40days

Does anyone know the legality of being a named driver,on a provisional and you crash.They said that you are insured but my dad is afraid they could take all his assest.I know your gonna say you should drive un accompanied but im talking about insurance.

I got a quote of 1800 being a named driver,and 2600 on my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

OMG WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The quote i got for 1400 is now invalid.I rang them today to double check it since im getting so much hassle.I was onto them for about a half hour and they told me 3 things were wrong with it.

1)The price was wrong and is actually 1500
    2)They put me down as a female instead of a male(youd wonder how they did this since my name is Finbarr)
    3)they put it down as a named driver and not a full driver(again how would they do this when i gave them one name,not 2)

I told them i dealt with a guy called "Andrew".They told me,hes now gone from the company.

I was wondering do i have any legal standing with the original quote since they said it was valid for 40days

Quotes are vaild for 30 days, under data protection you can request a copy of all information they have on file.
    Just a word of warning insurance companies aren't thick, an father taking out a policy with 0 NCB & having a 19 yr ol son smacks of trying to get a cheaper quote.
    Majority of rating engines will take this into consideration & rate on the young driver. The "male only driving" load will have been deleted (if said company applies it) which would make quote slightly cheaper.
    One other thing, majority of companies won't give year for year named drving experiance if you have a prov licence.
    If you wanna driver, suck it up & oay the first premium like we all had to at one stage.
    Remember you need a full lic driver with you at all times & display your L plates ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Does anyone know the legality of being a named driver,on a provisional and you crash.They said that you are insured but my dad is afraid they could take all his assest.I know your gonna say you should drive un accompanied but im talking about insurance.

If your a named driver on a policy & you crash, your covered as that what the policy is there for. Regarding driving unaccompanied, your breaking the law but afaik it doesn't null & void your insurance.

I got a quote a few minutes ago putting someone as a named driver on a 00 corsa for 386 euro. Forget about quinn,

I got a quote a few minutes ago putting someone as a named driver on a 00 corsa for 386 euro. Forget about quinn,

With zero NCB for both drivers?

Stekelly wrote: »
    With zero NCB for both drivers?

5 yrs for the proposer and 0 years for the named driver

5 yrs for the proposer and 0 years for the named driver

The OP wont have any NCB.

Stekelly wrote: »
    The OP wont have any NCB.