Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Named Driver insurance help

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

OP, Is your father a named driver on a spouse, partner or anybody elses policy?

If he is he could use that driving experience to take out a separate policy on the corsa/fiesta/punto with the vehicle in his name and then add you as a named driver.

Most companies will give an intro bonus for 5+ years of driving experience.

Your fathers policy on the astra will stay as is and will not be affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Right got a quote for a driver with full license and no NCB. 1 named driver 18 yrs old, provisional license and no NCB or maned driver experience. 00 Opel Corsa 1.2l valued at 2,000 fully comp price 450,99.

KennCo - Highway Choice, €450.99

* This premium is valid for 30 days
    * Premium quoted automatically includes Breakdown Cover and Legal Expenses at a Õ10 fee.
    * Up to a 6 year NCB available
    * Step-Back No Claim Bonus as standard
    * Protected NCB available for policies with 5 yr NCB. 2 unlimited claims in a three year period
    * Standard Policy Excess Õ150 for 25-70 with full licence
    * Excess increases to Õ200 for 25-70 with provisional licence
    * Excess increases to Õ300 for 21-24 yr olds
    * Voluntary Excess - Additional Õ100 excess - 7.5% discount
    * Voluntary Excess - Additional Õ200 excess - 15% discount
    * Voluntary Excess - Additional Õ300 excess - 20% discount
    * Voluntary Excess - Additional Õ500 excess - 25% discount
    * Windscreen cover - Unlimited for Comp policies if AllGlass is used. Otherwise, Õ100 limit
    * Up to 5 penalty points allowed without loading
    * Driving Other Cars available for proposers over 25 with full licence
    * Personal Accident and Medical Expenses included

€450 and not a bonus insight!

Somethings wrong there.

The dearest one was 755

Where did u get that quote?

There are people with full bonuses and full licences paying that if not more these days.

I'd be ringing up first thing to see if that quote is gaurunteed.

Comparison site chill.ie. I used them for my new car saved me a fortune.

I'm getting a quote for over €3k with those details!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

CoDy1 wrote: »
    OP, Is your father a named driver on a spouse, partner or anybody elses policy?

If he is he could use that driving experience to take out a separate policy on the corsa/fiesta/punto with the vehicle in his name and then add you as a named driver.

Most companies will give an intro bonus for 5+ years of driving experience.

Your fathers policy on the astra will stay as is and will not be affected.

No no no your talking out your ass, how can you earn "driving experiance" for being a named driver, when you already are earning a NCB for having your own insurance!!
    If that was the case, ill keep my own insurance, go as a named driver on 3 of my mates policies, never drive them, & earn 4 seperate NCB in total :rolleyes:

Facepalm for you my friend.

Keith C wrote: »
    No no no your talking out your ass, how can you earn "driving experiance" for being a named driver, when you already are earning a NCB for having your own insurance!!
    If that was the case, ill keep my own insurance, go as a named driver on 3 of my mates policies, never drive them, & earn 4 seperate NCB in total :rolleyes:

You can do that you know.

I bought my first car and insured it under my own name. I was previously insured as a named driver on my dads policy and i stayed on the policy. I bought a second car and used the named driving experience when i went to insure the second vehicle. Got a reduction of 400 euro or so. Now i have two NCBs one is a full NCB and the other is 3 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

super-rush wrote: »
    You can do that you know.

I bought my first car and insured it under my own name. I was previously insured as a named driver on my dads policy and i stayed on the policy. I bought a second car and used the named driving experience when i went to insure the second vehicle. Got a reduction of 400 euro or so. Now i have two NCBs one is a full NCB and the other is 3 years old.

The problem with that is that for most comapnies, the 3 year old one is expired, so it's no use to you. Hibernian were the only ones that woul dtake my 3 year old NCB a few years back, and that was at a push.

Unless you actually need 2, it''s a bit pointless paying out money you wont get a return on. The insurance company will load a policy thats in a parents name when a young male is added, so in the end, unless your insurung 2 cars yourself within a couple of years of being on the policy, you've just wasted a couple of grand.

Stekelly wrote: »
    The problem with that is that for most comapnies, the 3 year old one is expired, so it's no use to you. Hibernian were the only ones that woul dtake my 3 year old NCB a few years back, and that was at a push.

Unless you actually need 2, it''s a bit pointless paying out money you wont get a return on. The insurance company will load a policy thats in a parents name when a young male is added, so in the end, unless your insurung 2 cars yourself within a couple of years of being on the policy, you've just wasted a couple of grand.

But they don't as i proved earlier, the dearest quote i got was 755.

super-rush wrote: »
    But they don't as i proved earlier, the dearest quote i got was 755.

Are you sure all the details were right with that? I couldnt even get a quote that cheap for my dad, who was nearly 50 with 0 ncb a few years back when he moved off my mams policy. It eventually came to 550 or so with the named driver experience.

Edit, just checked chill and got a quote of €650 for a 50 year old male with a full licence for 9+ years and 0 ncb. When I added a 19 year old provisional driver (the son) it jumped to €3949.

2nd Edit. Actually just realised I had full comp clicked, so changed it to TPFT and it's €3697. At that I left in the other bits I didnt realise like it's down as being garaged at night and having alarm & immob.

yes. I went back and double checked.

These are the quotes i got

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Gotta be something wrong there

• Advertisement

This is what I get

First the 50 year old clerical worker

ins1pfn.jpg

Then I get a quote of €800 (this is since I changed from D12 to D6w to try bring it down)

ins2n.jpg

Then I add the 19 year old son as name driver

ins3s.jpg

Which brings the quote to €3697

ns4n.jpg

You may see something I'm missing there to what your getting a different quote on.Not sure

EDIt. Oooo they are a bit bigger than I intended but hey, at least they can be read.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

May I suggest buying a small car/van instead.

Maybe a Corsa van.

My Dad has a Van & a Car under his own name with two policies.

This would enable him to get a quote for a commercial vehicle & I'm sure he can use his NCB on that. He can say he's trying to set up a new business.

Probably get both you on it fir €1K.

Worth a look.

I tried again

This is entirely true and is completley legal and as an insurance broker, I have seen it done many times by certain insurance companies.

It doesn't matter if you have your own insurance policy or not.

I assure i'm not not talking through my ass and I wont be putting my palm anywhere near my face, thank you. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

lol has Insurance gone that bad in this country?

I got my first car 2 years ago. 20 year old male, D12. 1.2L Corsa 5 door.
    0 NCB, 0 years Provisional Licence held and i paid €1600 Fully Comp with Quinn.
    Second year i changed car to a 03 1.5L Almera and paid €1100
    and now this year still have Provisional Licence and paying €920 a year fully comp.
    Would have been €600 TPFT...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

The plot continues!!!!!!

I put a deposit down on the car last monday on the condition of the insurance.
    I ran into problems with the insurance and let the dealer know of this.I said on wednesday that i dont know if we will be going through with it because of the problems with insurance.
    I then rang today to tell him i sorted the insurance and would go ahead with the purchase.
    he then told me he sold it:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Can i take any legal action against the dealer since i did have a deposit down.the car was 1250,had a deposit of 100e on it.Im very very mad since they told me it was in their dealer shop since october,then we put a deposit on it and 2 days later its sold.

Fol20 wrote: »
    Can i take any legal action against the dealer since i did have a deposit down.the car was 1250,had a deposit of 100e on it.Im very very mad since they told me it was in their dealer shop since october,then we put a deposit on it and 2 days later its sold.
    Do you have anything in writing?

my dad never got the deposit receipt when we gave him the money,i might try and get the receipt for it off them.

my dad never got the deposit receipt when we gave him the money,i might try and get the receipt for it off them.
    Looks like you've been dooped mate, chances are they'll refuse to answer anything you say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

wow mate, your really not getting much luck!
    what dealership was this by the way? they sound like a bunch of cowboys

Ill let you know in a bit,at the moment,the dealer is "trying" to find another car for me,if he doesnt ill let you know as then i wouldnt give 2 ****s about them.Im getting so ticked off at the entire situation.Iv been looking around for cars around cork for about a month,this car seemed really good.I ran into so many insurance problems and then when i finally sorted it out,i found out they sold the car on me only 3 days after i put a deposit on it.If you see any good deals on puntos around cork for 1-2k would you pm me.Im really getting tired of looking when i should have been driving by this weekend.

Ok just got a punto for 700..suspension might give a problem in the future on the car but sure for that money you cant go wrong

Quotes are vaild for 30 days, under data protection you can request a copy of all information they have on file.
    Just a word of warning insurance companies aren't thick, an father taking out a policy with 0 NCB & having a 19 yr ol son smacks of trying to get a cheaper quote.
    Majority of rating engines will take this into consideration & rate on the young driver. The "male only driving" load will have been deleted (if said company applies it) which would make quote slightly cheaper.
    One other thing, majority of companies won't give year for year named drving experiance if you have a prov licence.
    If you wanna driver, suck it up & oay the first premium like we all had to at one stage.
    Remember you need a full lic driver with you at all times & display your L plates ;)

i plan on doing that in 6 months when i get the full licsense..i know it wont drop by much but itl still be a few hundred

• Registered Users Posts: 47 johnjoesim

Did you quote axa insurance? Im 19 now, fully comprehensive with axa for 1300 on my own policy 1.4 astra but i do have a full license for a few months, last year when i was on the provisional it was 1800 on my own policy 3rd party. Its well worth getting your own policy first off as price goes down a lot faster, shouldnt be more than 1300 on a 1l corsa, ring your local axa office, not the national line and tell them that hibernian quoted you sumtin like 1800 and see what they'll do for you, good luck

johnjoesim wrote: »
    Did you quote axa insurance? Im 19 now, fully comprehensive with axa for 1300 on my own policy 1.4 astra but i do have a full license for a few months, last year when i was on the provisional it was 1800 on my own policy 3rd party. Its well worth getting your own policy first off as price goes down a lot faster, shouldnt be more than 1300 on a 1l corsa, ring your local axa office, not the national line and tell them that hibernian quoted you sumtin like 1800 and see what they'll do for you, good luck

You must live out the country or something.I live in the city and the cheapest quote i could get for a corsa was a bit over 2k..I prefer puntos now anyway and got one of those sure

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement