Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

should i use raw or raw+L

• 05-06-2009 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

which is better to use can you explain which is better thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

depends on your workflow utterly and totally.

raw and l lets you review slightly faster in post pro... if ya have time just shoot raw, more buffer space and more memory card space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

cool i was just thinking that was handy with raw+L that it keeps 2 pics 1 raw and 1 jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

sikahunter wrote: »
    cool i was just thinking that was handy with raw+L that it keeps 2 pics 1 raw and 1 jpeg

two identical image, one will just be lower quality... its easy to make a jpeg outta a raw after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Personally, I shoot RAW and JPEG if somebody is in a hurry to get and/or see the pictures on their own. Travel, uploading, selection and processing could take some time (in case of happy-snappy idiot like me).

Shooting RAW + L has drawbacks too - you are saving more data on your memory card, therefore you have lower capacity and it takes a little longer to write the data.

So in my opinion, save the picture also as JPEG only when you have to.

• Advertisement

GIMP + Raw images = total disaster.

I can't get them looking any way near as good as the JPEGs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Personally I'd just shoot raw. Chances are you're going to be post processing the raw file so the jpeg won't be the one you'll be using/printing/whatever. And the raw will always have the original unedtied state within it if you want to go back and re-pp it, the jpeg won't if you edit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭f1_jb

I used to shoot in both but as it been pointed out I nearly always post process even if only just a little bit and it saves space. I have a G9 which only save in both and it eats up the card sometimes.

When I import on to pc after processing I just create a new folder within the fprde with the raw shots which keep it simple for uploading to flickr and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

I alway shoot RAW + L. Although I built it myself, my PC ain't the newest, so to process them all through RAW just ain't worth the grief. I preview the images through the jpegs and edit the chosen RAW's through LR. This makes my workflow easier.

However it does depent on the situation. For the RAS shoot recently where the cyclists were gone in under 1 min and I wanted a high frame rate I just shot jpg. But normally i'd shoot in RAW + L

Advertisement