Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive to Donegal Town and Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Dublin traffic is only bad at peak times and parking is never really a problem tbh. The improvements they've made out Lucan way have really helped.

if you know the city and routes, fair enough. if you don't, and say miss a turn, it's quite easy to get stuck in a one way system and wind down 10-15 mins til you find your way back.

And while parking is there, it can be time consuming to find if you don't know your way around the inner city as it's not really signposted.

and comparing off-peak Dublin traffic to peak Dublin traffic, it's still never light. Entering and leaving the city will frequently take the guts of 30mins during the day.

Most of ye are talking as people who know the place, know the traffic system and what routes to take, know what to avoid etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

Galway-Donegal isn't as bad as it used to be. Roads have improved a lot around Sligo & Donegal & it's a beautiful drive (scenery wise). Galway-Dublin can be done in just over 2 hours but I would recommend bus after your day before. If you don't know your way round Dublin it can be a pain & the Luas is great for getting around. I'd normally recommend train but I think the bus would give you longer in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Yeh the roads to donegal are grand besides some narrow ones that last a couple of miles. Takes me 3 and a half hours to get to buncrana from galway, i usually leave in the evening tho (after the rush hour). You would need to spend a day or two if you want to see everything up there tho, unless that is if you want to spend they day driving non stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

if you know the city and routes, fair enough. if you don't, and say miss a turn, it's quite easy to get stuck in a one way system and wind down 10-15 mins til you find your way back.

And while parking is there, it can be time consuming to find if you don't know your way around the inner city as it's not really signposted.

and comparing off-peak Dublin traffic to peak Dublin traffic, it's still never light. Entering and leaving the city will frequently take the guts of 30mins during the day.

Most of ye are talking as people who know the place, know the traffic system and what routes to take, know what to avoid etc.

Fair point.

I do know my way around Dublin and a lot of other places; and I accept it's not as easy for those who don't. I do take it for granted I guess.

Advertisement