Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kick Drums

• 05-06-2009 3:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

How important do you think a good kick drum is to the listening experience of a track?

I would rate it very highly, i find it really annoying when i listen to a track which otherwise is really great with really cool synths but is let down by its weak bass drum.

I tend to like to sound of the classic 808 or 909 style kicks and tend to use them alot in my tracks. Do you have a favourite kick drum?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

it goes without saying that vengeance sample packs will get a mention.they cover alot of bases with those packs.
    on my last tune i actually just robbed the kick from another track i had in my collection.tiny bit of eq and it was ready to go,sounded perfect actually:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Personally I hate the vengeance kicks. Too dirty and flat sounding in general. The sample magic ones are very good.

But the all time best way to do it is to use the Riemann Kollektion (florian meindl's sample pack). In it you get 'construction material'.

This means you can use the old trick of three separate samples for your kick sound (low end, transient, and character).

Can make some great kicks doing this.

Failing that, use an 808 and stick it through some nice EQ and compression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

jtsuited wrote: »
    Personally I hate the vengeance kicks. Too dirty and flat sounding in general. The sample magic ones are very good.

But the all time best way to do it is to use the Riemann Kollektion (florian meindl's sample pack). In it you get 'construction material'.

This means you can use the old trick of three separate samples for your kick sound (low end, transient, and character).

Can make some great kicks doing this.

Failing that, use an 808 and stick it through some nice EQ and compression.

Looking at the Vengeance bassdrum samples on an analyzer shows that the actual body of the 'bass/sub' happens after the inital kick... a real pain, and very shabby. I think Damagedtrax recommened taking a 909 and shelving heavy and adding a 808 beneath - then you have control over both parts of the sound - or even better to take the three as you said - will try that out :)

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Looking at the Vengeance bassdrum samples on an analyzer shows that the actual body of the 'bass/sub' happens after the inital kick... a real pain, and very shabby.

that drives me nuts. find the same problem in a lot of kick drums actually.
    think it has to do with the compression release somewhere in the signal chain when they were making the sample.

when compressing kicks arent you meant to have the attack at something like 10ms so it lets the initial punch in before it compresses?

• Advertisement

Yeah, slopes in *wack* then the comp kicks in - usually at something like 3:1 or 4:1 - but dependant on what your'e pushing through it.

I must say though i do disgusting things to Vengenace sounds to make them work :) - sometimes have more than one comp also.

that drives me nuts. find the same problem in a lot of kick drums actually.
    think it has to do with the compression release somewhere in the signal chain when they were making the sample.

I shelve that rubbish sub off then use the VBAudio sculptura to 'breed' the low end downwards to recreate sub that is in time.

seannash wrote: »
    when compressing kicks arent you meant to have the attack at something like 10ms so it lets the initial punch in before it compresses?

depends. if you've a kick that's fairly flat sounding ie. not much punch, then you can leave a good bit of attack time to let the transient through.
    and vice versa - if it's too poppy you can just level out the peak using a fast attack.

I shelve that rubbish sub off then use the VBAudio sculptura to 'breed' the low end downwards to recreate sub that is in time.

i do the same with logic's test oscillator and a gate keyed with the kick.

think i win 'most obvious technical tip so far on this forum award'!:D

i do the same with logic's test oscillator and a gate keyed with the kick.

think i win 'most obvious technical tip so far on this forum award'!:D

Can you make a detailed post with pictures? :) for the whole 3 part bass drum processing and the sub re-creation - then i can rip it into the final tutorials section?

• Advertisement

maybe we could post up some samples etc and build a nice database of good kicks(obviously not straight up samples from sample packs)

I've got samples from old kit days - masses of them - will be sorting links out over the coming weeks.

All copyright free - not from sample CDs.

I also have masses of analog samples from a huge modular synth that i abused for months and painstakingly cut up for use as hits / percussion.

I've got samples from old kit days - masses of them - will be sorting links out over the coming weeks.

All copyright free - not from sample CDs.

I also have masses of analog samples from a huge modular synth that i abused for months and painstakingly cut up for use as hits / percussion.
    nice!!!!!

Can you make a detailed post with pictures? :) for the whole 3 part bass drum processing and the sub re-creation - then i can rip it into the final tutorials section?

yeah cool. will do it later. i'm in the middle of doing a track today so I must remember to take screenshots when i get to this part (i put in my sub last).

Cheers - in the meantime - here's what i can do / host

http://spiralking.com/samples/

nice one.

Our first 2 page thread!!

Oh how quickly they grow up....

Cheers - in the meantime - here's what i can do / host

http://spiralking.com/samples/

is there anyway you could zip up all those samples and have a link to the zip so it's just one click to download the whole lot?

is there anyway you could zip up all those samples and have a link to the zip so it's just one click to download the whole lot?

Done, i'll stick to that format for the other samples.

Done, i'll stick to that format for the other samples.

dude, those samples are unreal!!!!!

best 808/909 samples I've heard. Clean as feck, and nicely laid out!!

These are all raw untreated samples - there are more being uploaded, so give it a little time before pulling the rest down.

If you like those samples your'e going to die when you hear the acid hits.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

yeah cool. will do it later. i'm in the middle of doing a track today so I must remember to take screenshots when i get to this part (i put in my sub last).

I'd definitely be very interested to see that. Choosing the right Kick, then EQing Kicks & Bass are a bit of a head scratcher for me.

I'll get things to the point where it sounds the best I can make it.. but I'm always sure that it could be better.

Would it be possible to get the 3 Kicks tied into the Tutorial?

the three kicks thing is easy.
    1. find the low end you want, filter out any highs, shape it to the lenght you want (actually this could be done last)
    2. Find a 'snap' you like. Cut it and just use the transient (filter out the bottom end if it's a bit filthy)
    3. find something with a nice midrange. any kick sampled from vinyl will sound sweet in the low mids. shape it, eq it, whatever.

4. bus the 3 to a nice compressor and eq. Twiddle to taste. This stage is necessary to glue the sound together.

5. Print the output of the bus and voila, deadly kick drum!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

For those that don't want to get too technical with eq'ing and compression I highly recommend Thomas Penton drum samples. They're ready to use out of the box (some mightn't like this) so great for noobs like myself.

For those wanting to make your own bass drums - here's the app that does it (Windows only) - http://spiralking.com/samples/stompin.exe

This is a great little app, there is a short quiz at start - after that no nagging :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

These are all raw untreated samples
    Did you sample those 808 samples from a TR808 yourself?

The Adding a Sub to a Kick Drum trick -

This tip is actually Logic specific but the mechanics can probably be copied in most other DAW's.

1. Set up an audio track with a Test Oscillator on one of the inserts. Make sure the test osc is set to output a sine wave ( for the n00bs - that's the curvy one with no sharp edges)
    2. Set up a gate (Silver Gate or just Noise Gate will do) after the test oscillator in the signal chain ie. underneath it.
    The channel should now be silent. If not, raise the threshold of the gate until it is.
    3. You should have your kick drum track as an audio track in the sequencer arrange page. Name it 'Kick' for simplicity's sake.
    4. On the gate that we have on our test oscillator track, click on the dropdown menu in the top right hand corner. this is where you can choose a sidechain input. choose your 'kick' track.
    5. Now everytime the kick hits, the gate will 'open' letting the sound of the test oscillator through.
    6. Turn the frequency of the test osc down to around 60hz. Play around with it until it's in key (or whatever way you want it!).
    7. Now you'll be hearing how it works. Adjust the attack, hold and release settings on the gate to shape the length of the sub. You might need to adjust the threshold a bit too (should be near the top end of the slider).
    8. Annoy the bejaysus out of your neighbours with your crazy, phat, adjustable, completely shapable, whopper kick sub!!!

Btw, Andy Wallace and all those huge mix engineers have been doing this with kick drums since the late 80's. So it's a trick that's an oldie but a goodie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

The Adding a Sub to a Kick Drum trick -

This tip is actually Logic specific but the mechanics can probably be copied in most other DAW's.

1. Set up an audio track with a Test Oscillator on one of the inserts. Make sure the test osc is set to output a sine wave ( for the n00bs - that's the curvy one with no sharp edges)
    2. Set up a gate (Silver Gate or just Noise Gate will do) after the test oscillator in the signal chain ie. underneath it.
    The channel should now be silent. If not, raise the threshold of the gate until it is.
    3. You should have your kick drum track as an audio track in the sequencer arrange page. Name it 'Kick' for simplicity's sake.
    4. On the gate that we have on our test oscillator track, click on the dropdown menu in the top right hand corner. this is where you can choose a sidechain input. choose your 'kick' track.
    5. Now everytime the kick hits, the gate will 'open' letting the sound of the test oscillator through.
    6. Turn the frequency of the test osc down to around 60hz. Play around with it until it's in key (or whatever way you want it!).
    7. Now you'll be hearing how it works. Adjust the attack, hold and release settings on the gate to shape the length of the sub. You might need to adjust the threshold a bit too (should be near the top end of the slider).
    8. Annoy the bejaysus out of your neighbours with your crazy, phat, adjustable, completely shapable, whopper kick sub!!!

Btw, Andy Wallace and all those huge mix engineers have been doing this with kick drums since the late 80's. So it's a trick that's an oldie but a goodie!

Also do exact same thing but use white noise for the snares :D

I don't know about the rest of those samples Neurojazz put up, but the "acid hits" pack he's linking to is a Zero-G sample pack called "Binary Finary", I suspect they shouldn't be given out to people for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

splitrmx wrote: »
    I don't know about the rest of those samples Neurojazz put up, but the "acid hits" pack he's linking to is a Zero-G sample pack called "Binary Finary", I suspect they shouldn't be given out to people for free.

NJ is Binary Finary :)

• Advertisement

ICN wrote: »
    NJ is Binary Finary :)
    Probably the best comeback there could ever be to my post!

Advertisement