Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kick Drums

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

splitrmx wrote: »
    I don't know about the rest of those samples Neurojazz put up, but the "acid hits" pack he's linking to is a Zero-G sample pack called "Binary Finary", I suspect they shouldn't be given out to people for free.

classic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Glad we managed to clear that up Lads!

Eircom were just about to cut off NJ's Broadband - Phew!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Did you sample those 808 samples from a TR808 yourself?

No, sampled from an analog drum machine that was called a DRM1 - it was a newer thing for people who couldn't afford the price tag of the 909/808s :) - I basically made the sounds as close as possible and then sampled.

I don't know about the rest of those samples Neurojazz put up, but the "acid hits" pack he's linking to is a Zero-G sample pack called "Binary Finary", I suspect they shouldn't be given out to people for free.

Yep - from the Zero G pack - FYI, I made that pack, I own the copyrights, I am Binary Finary :) - They are now public domain and free for use :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Neurojazz wrote: »
    No, sampled from an analog drum machine that was called a DRM1 - it was a newer thing for people who couldn't afford the price tag of the 909/808s :) - I basically made the sounds as close as possible and then sampled.
    Yeah I was thinking that the 808 ones didn't sound exactly like a real 808, but rather like some kind of modified or tuned 808. Do you still own the Vermona DRM1? They've always looked interesting but I've never had a chance to try one before.

Also, if it's not top secret information, what did you use to create the acid hits pack?

• Advertisement

The acid hits section was created with Reaktor custom made modules and a HUGE doepfer system that i've now sold. Analogues are ok - used many for years and had more hardware than sense for at least 15 years of my life and just moved totally into computers now.

There was a day when i sat down with an engineer and we went through and sampled various analogs and got reaktors version up and set the parameters the same to see if they married up.... Basically testing the source oscillators and the filters and found they were frame for frame perfect matches.... needless to say i went into reaktor big time after that and wasted a good few years making various weird noises (in that pack now)

That was ages ago and now there are things like Omnisphere (wow, can actually run it fully on an i7 ;) and Sylenth (which ends up replacing most other softsynths i've brought in the last 5 years.

I tried the Virus TI (which is great) - but it still has bugs and issues with certain setups (it doesn't like duende+powercore+FW audio card) - so failed to get anything hardware music attached to the computer.

I mean, don't get me wrong - but hardware is *gone* for dance music, the parrot is dead in my eyes... for the same money as an sh101 i can get 400 instances of Sylenth and Sylenth not only mops the floor with the 101, but then goes *much, much* further.

The humble 303 doesn't like hot nightclubs, and a mate recently complained when i told him to take a hairdryer to the back of his to get it into tune live ;) - his ocs are drifting and take ages to get in tune ;) - the hairdryer helps get it ready before the gig ;)

There's only 1 thing i'm missing from hardware, and i'm sure i'll find a workaround soon ;)

I'll have to check out that Sylenth synth to see if it can replace my SH101 so!

I'll have to check out that Sylenth synth to see if it can replace my SH101 so!

The older versions of Reaktor used to have Roland Emulations. Sylenth is more like a demon offspring of a Super Jupiter and a Virus TI.

I can't believe you sold that Doepfer though. Was it the full A100 system? Even if I could find software that could 100% replicate my analogue hardware, I'd still keep them because I hate looking at a computer when making music. It's probably a side effect from having to look at a computer all day in work!

On the 303 tip, I never had a problem with its tuning drifting, but that said I never brought it into a hot nightclub. I never would either, it's worth too much to me to be bringing it out! It's my baby. I've never heard a perfect clone of it either, but then again that would be impossible as I've never heard two 303s that sounded the same as each other. (hey look everybody, an old man is talking!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Fair play NJ!! Sounds like you really know your stuff.. Wish i did!!

• Advertisement

I can't believe you sold that Doepfer though. Was it the full A100 system? Even if I could find software that could 100% replicate my analogue hardware, I'd still keep them because I hate looking at a computer when making music. It's probably a side effect from having to look at a computer all day in work!

On the 303 tip, I never had a problem with its tuning drifting, but that said I never brought it into a hot nightclub. I never would either, it's worth too much to me to be bringing it out! It's my baby. I've never heard a perfect clone of it either, but then again that would be impossible as I've never heard two 303s that sounded the same as each other. (hey look everybody, an old man is talking!)

It was 3 racks (like 3 A100 worth) of modules (about 4-5k worth) - There's a fair bit of software around to emulate that gear - you just need to see it working rather than wade through 6358734678 bits of software to find what you want (and that is fun to use) - so depending on where you are based you might be able to find someone who can show you some soft synths working to keep an eye on how things are developing.

Things like Reason have all the cables and plug sockets so that you can route signals around and do very twisted things (a bit like the doepfer) - but suffers slightly on the sound quality that you'd get from an analog. Then recently some boards members were talking about the Arturia Moog - a fully 'plugs and cables' routable synth ala the original modular.

And if you want 303, i think props give away REBIRTH for free (so that's 2 303, a 909 and a 808) for free now - it's not exact, but a punter wouldn't spot the difference ;)

This does come back too the work flow - you are liking the touch/speed of having gear there and want to get away from being sat at a cpu all day, which i can understand in part ;) - but being pretty much forced to be at a computer from dawn till dusk i can see that there are ways that the CPU only setup can be enjoyable, but takes soooo much time to settle in.

If you run the tempo from a piece of hardware then you could look at running a few choice synths to open up your choice of sounds that are easy to use and send the clock to the pc and even trigger it from a piece of hardware and it would hardly be different - but a lot of areas that could scupper this happening and ruining your fluid work flow.

Maybe, you'd benefit from partnering with an engineer who'd turn up with laptop/pc and syncing with your setup and bringing that edge to some collaborations - worth a shot, and then you'd see what can/can't be done.

Going to completely computer based from hardware has taken me 10 years (mostly because i'm thick ;) - and it's not a path for the meek at all, dam hard - but does open doors to making some awesome sounds.

Back to the plot, Sylenth - the initial preset i think the demo comes with is a 303, and it's very CPU efficient, so you could have something like 100 instances of it running live ;) - and i think they even have put this synth in a peice of hardware now (some sort of weird keyboard thing) - it's one of many synths that stand out.

If you want the sound accurate to an original - check the demo of the Arturia Jupiter 8V, it looks and sounds fine - more 'analog' than the sylenth.

If you like the harsh Sequential circuits sound then look at the Prophet 5 emulators - again, pretty dam fine.

Waffle.

Stab*City wrote: »
    Fair play NJ!! Sounds like you really know your stuff.. Wish i did!!

*stuff* ;) - hehe, yeah i took a Masters in Geek & Random knowledge ;)

Advertisement