Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Aftermath

Options
  • 05-06-2009 6:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Well...let's hope we do well today...this is a big one, for all of us.

I just want a C2+!

Edit: Just realised the pun in the thread title, Geography after math. It's a sign.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

LOL!
    yep im looking for around the same grade as you!

studied all day yesterday and planned on spending the evening on math but my waster cousin asked for help in math because he hasnt been in school since like march so i, like a big ****ing idiot siad yeah, he wasted 2.5 hours of my time on one paper, and didnt even listen! just talked about bloody mtv awards

so now i am up since 5 trying to cram math and geog into my head, and am fairly certain i am going to fail
    i want the Cs in (H) geog and an A1/2 in (O) Math

not going to happen.

anyways, sorry my rant is over :o

Good luck everybody!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Was really dreading this test but after my study of passed papers and my bit of cramming i definatly passed the higher level paper :D

Short questions were the usual Homer Simpson stuff.

I did the Sketch map, plate tectonics (waffled), and landform (cliff)(crammed to perfection) in the first section.

Regional I done the Urban Growth (Also crammed to perfection) and a map of Italy with stuff marked in, Italy is sub-continental yeah?

The economic section I drew the graph, why the industrial estate is at it's present location and didnt have a clue about the 3rd part.

Brown Earth soils FTW!!

Over all i am delighted with at least 45 points on my leaving cert. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

Italy is socio ecomomic. India and South America are sub continental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

I feel I did really well - perfectly happy with my paper and more than a little pleased with my own answers to it!

I had revised overgrazing, overcropping and the other abuses of a biome/soil by humans and joy to ze world, it came up practically in 2/3 questions - 17 AND 18. Great stuff. I opted for 17 (acceleration of soil erosion) purely because I could get a lovely big heap of info out of it by shoving in SRPs about soil in general, humus, humification SRPs and definition, soil structure and other bits that I put in context for the answer as background to my entire answer :)

I did run out of time a bit - last 5 minutes and I had only gotten the intro to my final long question's part C done so I bullet pointed bits of what I was going to say - to be fair I was quite flakey on that part and I had chosen it as my last question since I wanted to get the A and B done since they seemed the easiest in my last 40 minutes.

Hope everyone else did well. I'm dead happy with it. Only surprise was that something on isostatic processes didn't come up but I wasn't too sure of it anyway.

As for Italy as sub contintental is Brazi/India :S Not Italy, that's European

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Ehh.. I thought Italy was a European region - not a sub-continental one?

Anyway, short questions were simple. Did the first physical question:
    Part A - easy
    Part B - I'm not sure.. I just wrote about boundaries basically and what happens at them?
    Part C - Did a waterfall, pretty good answer. Hopefully gets me all the marks.

Other questions are all a blur now.
    Drew something though. Was easy enough.
    Two physical factors having an effect on agriculture.. Pretty bad answer.. Just made some stuff up..
    Population Growth in a region or something. Eh I wrote a lot. Wasn't great though.

My geo-ecology answer was perfect. I'd say I'll get near enough full marks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭piggies

isostatic processes did come up!! q3 part B i think ha i did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Absolutely delighted with how that went was able to answer every question !! there was a part of me that wanted to the isostatic question just to show how well i knew it after already doin question 1 haha no more geography evveerr!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

Yea I thought it was a good paper....I was praying that human impact on soils came up and it did so I was well chuffed!

Only problem was I couldn't do my perfect answer on human interaction on the rock cycle in Question 1 because of that shítty part B question on sedimentary rock! :( I decided to do question 1 and 3 instead which wern't as good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ThatWouldBeNice

Hmmmm, really happy with the paper itself. Ironically it was a little too kind on me and I wrote way too much for some of the questions - about 2 and a half pages for some of the 30-markers. I also forgot about the Human elective - at four o'clock I was very pleased with myself, having fifty minutes or so to do the Geoecology, only to turn the page and see I have another section to go :eek:

I half-finished the Geoecology, left out the 30-marker on the Human elective :confused: Not enough time. Dammit, it was such a good paper, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Handy paper. Low B and it's 2 years since I was in school or looked at grography.

• Advertisement

Yea I thought it was a good paper....I was praying that human impact on soils came up and it did so I was well chuffed!

Only problem was I couldn't do my perfect answer on human interaction on the rock cycle in Question 1 because of that shítty part B question on sedimentary rock! :( I decided to do question 1 and 3 instead which wern't as good!

:) I did that question. Sedimentary rock was a breeze. Talking about how Ireland used to be covered in a tropical sea, etc, the way it was formed by sedimentary organic matter from dead animals and plants in this sea, and more recently has been exposed and malformed, changed, broken up and distributed by various processes and forms of erosion.

Mining was a ****ing dos, so glad I got that in. Woot :D I don't know why people went for the waterfall/sea-stack/irish landform thing
    Hmmmm, really happy with the paper itself. Ironically it was a little too kind on me and I wrote way too much for some of the questions - about 2 and a half pages for some of the 30-markers. I also forgot about the Human elective - at four o'clock I was very pleased with myself, having fifty minutes or so to do the Geoecology, only to turn the page and see I have another section to go

I half-finished the Geoecology, left out the 30-marker on the Human elective Not enough time. Dammit, it was such a good paper, too.

You aren't alone there dude, I did like 2.5-3 pages for some 30 markers. Only means that we have outdone ourselves on the SRPs front and are guaranteed a high grade, fair play to us for being nerds and remembering **** (Y)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Back Prince

i taught Geography higher was well easy. Short questions were a breeze long ones were very good even the geoecology was animal and i only studied for one part of it and it came up o yea B here i come

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i was quite happy with the paper.the short questions were alright.three of them gave me problems.

for the tectonic plates question.i didnt know what i was talking about.just waffled on about destructive and constructive plate boundaries but probebly gave wrong info anyway.

i drew a sketch map of ireland badly.i cant draw for my life

whenever i couldnt think of any more srp's i just drew a diagram hoping that i'd get marks.i did that for the tectonic plate question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Mining was a ****ing dos, so glad I got that in. Woot :D I don't know why people went for the waterfall/sea-stack/irish landform thing

It was the only thing I learned, in my opinion Geography & Biology are the most boring subjects I do, so barely paid any attention in Geog, will be chuffed with a pass!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kiara.

I was pretty happy with the paper..

Went over a few stuff at lunch and last night and they came up :)

Think I may have bull**** a little too much and some of what I wrote probably never made any sense.. But overall I was happy with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

regional was a bit gay, but thats my own fault for being too pre-occupied with maths to revise properly!

well glad i studied the aid debate now that deforestation etc didnt come up :)

overall it was a pretty nice paper, sooo glad i'm finally finished one subject forever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I thought it was a pretty good paper, thank god human effect on biomes came up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭.DarDarBinks

Could you do a waterfall for a landform ?

Praying to jebus for a C

We love you jeeebusssss :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I spent 20 minutes looking at the paper in shock. Every question I did there was at least one B part or C part I knew nothing about...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

Was very happy. My first year doing Geogaraphy and I think I could have got a B possibly. The first section could have been netter most of the stuff I knew came up in different questions but was happy. Overall did Q 1, 6, 11 and 18 in the geoecology!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

It was grand.

Shorts were a bit odd, but I was late and a bit stressed, so that might be why...

The physical questions were a bit of a bitch. Everything I wanted was in different sections. Ended up doing the one with the sketch map and the waterfall, and bluffing my way through the B which was something to do with plate tectonics...

Regional, I did the one with Tertiary in SW USA. I actually can't remember what else was on the question, did it first... Was a rather nice one though.

Population questions, again a bit all over the place. Chose the one about Overpopulation & draw a graph. I was halfway through bluffing my way through the B bit about urban planning, when I realised, I actually knew the answer, so it won't get marks for cohesion, but it's technically right...

Geoecology went so much better than I thought it would. Had a very vague idea of impact on soils and Brown Earth Soils, and even at that for BES all I knew was the heading - some serious waffle would've gone into that. Did the one about impact on soils...Was fine.

My hand died though. Pretty sure it's dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

I wasn't too sure about the human effect on biomes question. I did the rainforest and talked about deforestation, soil erosion and destruction of natural habitats

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

was quite a hard paper, but ill still be disappointed if i dont get an A

human was very hard i though, a lot of what i said was just to get 15 srp's

answered q1, q4, q 12 and human impact on biome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Such a difficult paper, I pretty much learnt everything that didnt come up, almost finished the elective and starting the option bang laptop turns off; recovered file was really behind so I ended up with a fail. My school enclosed a letter explaining in the situation, that they called technicians and that the laptop was witnessed turning off etc. They also told the super intendent. I didn't get any extra time. What happens now? :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mosis11

paper was very predictive as ever 3 days cramming is id say a b2 maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

i felt good about my conflict essay in culture and identity

my economics geography was brilliant, which is weird coz i was neva good at it

physical (usually my strongest) was good, not great, id be happy with about 50/80 in it.

regional as always was a disaster for me, i ran out of time so i couldnt do a part C which is 30 marks gone so......

but in total i fell happy about it, hopefully about a c2 or c1 (sure i only need a c3 in it so.)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

AHHHH settlement patterns came up !!! DELIGHTED!!!:D:D

oh and i studied biome characteristics inside out for this exam,, and just started to study the human impact on biome at half 1 !!!! lucky of what !

Anyone up for a BIG bonfire of Regional Geog notes :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

I liked this paper overall, shorts were mad easy think i got nearly every one right.

Physical wrote loads about plate techtonics, pangea the theroeis convection currents, plate boundries convergent and divergent. should get lots of marks

Regional - did agriculture in the western region. But is climate and relief physical factors? Im not sure. For part c, population distribution i gave like three srps about paris basin.

Economic - Conalism in Brazil

Geoecology - did it slightly wrong focused on general climate and stuff instead of entirely on brown earth, added in a few paragraphs on brown earth soils

mosis11 wrote: »
    paper was very predictive as ever 3 days cramming is id say a b2 maybe

Spot on bro!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cloak

anybody know if global warming, deforestation en desertification fit in with the question on globaly interdependant economy, actions in one place have effects on others??????

Advertisement