Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭imfreein09

i thought that ws a hard paper and im good at geog like fuk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ThatWouldBeNice

I just realised I answered two Physical geog questions instead of just one. No wonder I was pressed for time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

went into that exam almost in tears sure i was going to fail not get my course AGAIN and be a laughing stock

th paper seemed to guide me through i decided i wasnt going to read the whole thing just take it as it comes and hope for the best

it was amazing every question i got to i was like i know that & for that weird pop following economic changes i adapted my cultural differences in belgium the only thing i learn & my faith in Michael Doran paid off love that sweaty man predicting that question for me this year & last

sorry for the annoying rant, its the only exam ive come out of really happy (except maths), for me its been a good day needed somewhere to brag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

got all the 30 markers done except for 2 of them i left till the end and only did bullet points quickly did like 2 pages each for them, got all the short answers done, only got like 2 pages done for the biome.

Anyone think thats enough to get a d1/c3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Perfect paper imo :)

For the short answer questions I know I fecked up the weather one, and maybe one other one. Nice overall.

Did the Rock Cycle / Isostacy / Fluvial Processes for the physical, here's for 80/80 :rolleyes:

Did the Brazil Sketch / Growth of Paris / Secondary in BMW, nice, sketch was a bit dodgy though..

Did the Graph / Urban Problems and Planning Solutions / Desertification.

Did the deforestation in Ecology :D

1 thing though, I half did one problem for the elective, then put a neat red line through it, then continued as normal, but at the end I wrote a teeny note saying to include in marking as I shouldn't have excluded it, Think I'll get marked on that otherwise I've only done 1 problem and 1 solution...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ThatWouldBeNice

What was the season that you had to guess in the shorties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

If you done a good fieldwork you should easily get a D1..

summer - green leaves on the trees & very green grass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

strongr wrote: »
    got all the 30 markers done except for 2 of them i left till the end and only did bullet points quickly did like 2 pages each for them, got all the short answers done, only got like 2 pages done for the biome.

Anyone think thats enough to get a d1/c3?

Yeah I'd say so. It's a tough paper in that there's a lot in it and you're pushed for time.

But it's a very predictable paper. I only learnt Mezz and India and you can get away with it for all the past years in the region question - No need to do Paris Basin, GDA, BMW, Belgium etc. nada! So I was fairly happy I got away with that.

Don't think I did as well as in mock (got an A) but I should get between 20-25 marks per question.

Was annoyed that I left it so late to learn the geoecology section - I knew it on the day but only got 3 pages written.

I said summer cos it was a lovely clear summer day! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

I said summer cos it was a lovely clear summer day! :D

This, also the sea/river levels seemed relatively normal and the trees seemed very filled-out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Q18 Humans altering a biome ( I think thats the Q)

Isnt that on deforestation and not humans causing desertification(by over cropping, overgrazing)?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Claypigeon wrote: »
    This, also the sea/river levels seemed relatively normal and the trees seemed very filled-out

What about all the boats in the bay?:) think id get it?

Gi joe! wrote: »
    What about all the boats in the bay?:) think id get it?

honestly ? no dont think so, a harbours generally full all year, dont think saying its sunny would count either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Yea I said summer because of the greenery :)

Swizz wrote: »
    Q18 Humans altering a biome ( I think thats the Q)

Isnt that on deforestation and not humans causing desertification(by over cropping, overgrazing)?

You think you're going to write an essay on deforestation in a hot desert biome?

Logically, you don't consider overgrazing and overcropping the land in the bioome to be altering it? D:?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,253 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I made up so many facts in this paper it's unreal. Still, I reckon I got at least a B. Some of the short questions were a bit dodgy though...

honestly ? no dont think so, a harbours generally full all year, dont think saying its sunny would count either

ahwell was worth a shot. I just know the short questions will cost me an A though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Went pretty well.

I only wrote about 5 lines for one 30 mark question but otherwise I was happy.

Also, there's no need to be worried about only writing 2 or 3 pages for the geoecology section. I've often gotten around 75/80 by only writing a page and a half or so. As long as you have the right amount of SRPs and you don't lose lots of marks in cohesion you'll be grand!

You think you're going to write an essay on deforestation in a hot desert biome?

Logically, you don't consider overgrazing and overcropping the land in the bioome to be altering it? D:?

Hold on.. I wrote on overcropping/overgrazing/deforestation --> desertification in the Sahel - is that ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Thats for Q 17 on the Human Impact on Soils. Sahel doesn't count as a Bioma as far as I know.

Hold on.. I wrote on overcropping/overgrazing/deforestation --> desertification in the Sahel - is that ok?

I'm guessing you didn't understand what the biome question is so I'll try to explain.

The biome is a type of region - defined by climate, soil type, flora, fauna, everything in it really.

So here in Ireland particularly on the West coast we have the cool temperate oceanic climate - this is a biome! But of course these conditions and similar plant and animal life are evident elsewhere too - they're also a cool temperate oceanic biome.

A biome is not a place it's a set of characteristics. I hope this explained it (that is, if I took what you said the right way).

Answering on how the hot desert biome is interacted with by humans is fine. The Sahel, when mentioned, will get you the 4~ marks for naming an example of the biome you studied
    DDC1990 wrote: »
    Thats for Q 17 on the Human Impact on Soils. Sahel doesn't count as a Bioma as far as I know.

Technically no because "Sahel" is not a biome. The Sahel region of Africa is an example of the HOT DESERT biome

Gi joe! wrote: »
    ahwell was worth a shot. I just know the short questions will cost me an A though:(

sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

anyone know was it windy or not i changed my answer 3 times ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Answering on how the hot desert biome is interacted with by humans is fine. The Sahel, when mentioned, will get you the 4~ marks for naming an example of the biome you studied

Technically no because "Sahel" is not a biome. The Sahel region of Africa is an example of the HOT DESERT biome

But wasn't the question human impact on SOILS?

Anyway, anybody know what the two other parts to the regional question involving Tertiary Activity in Sub-Continental were? Have a feeling I completely left out the (A) part,w hich would be hideously stupid considering they're absolute piss-takes of questions....

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Its might be a good idea not to analyze your answers. It will just take your mind away from your next exams.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

anyone know was it windy or not i changed my answer 3 times ?????

Not ur fault:) I'm nearly positive it was windy, the closer the isobars the wilder the conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

the paper is up on exam.comission, wasnt a bad paper ran out of time tho. i like the way 2 things my teacher swore wouldnt come up and they did!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,253 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Anyway, anybody know what the two other parts to the regional question involving Tertiary Activity in Sub-Continental were? Have a feeling I completely left out the (A) part,w hich would be hideously stupid considering they're absolute piss-takes of questions....

That's where overgrazing, overcropping and deforestation comes in

There was one question on how humans speed up soil erosion - they speed it up via overgrazing and overcropping as it breaks down the soil, ruins its structure, is not allowed to lie fallow, etc, etc ad nauseum for 4 foolscaps ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

There was one question on how humans speed up soil erosion - they speed it up via overgrazing and overcropping as it breaks down the soil, ruins its structure, is not allowed to lie fallow, etc, etc ad nauseum for 4 foolscaps ;)

Oh I assumed that's the question you were talking about...

Didn't see a biome question because I wasn't really looking for one.

Sorry :o

Advertisement