Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Breakdown over what?

over the studying/pressure i would presume

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭imfreein09

:eek:
    Breakdown over what?

just the panic of this ****.. im fuked for hons french and bus nt week ahh

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Don't be worrying - it's too late to change now and most people will have gotten 90% of the short ones right, easy 80 mks

Speak for yourself, i made a bollox of the short questions:(

Anyone else do the conflict between political structure and cultural groups? I did the whole thing on religion as a cultural group, reckon i'll be alright?

what did people get for Q9 and Q12 in the short questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Gi joe! wrote: »
    Speak for yourself, i made a bollox of the short questions:(

Anyone else do the conflict between political structure and cultural groups? I did the whole thing on religion as a cultural group, reckon i'll be alright?

To be fair there were past exam papers with 3 years of short qs, not to mention sample papers and huge amounts of information in the obvious chapters within the core book and the revision guides. They are marks for the stealing.

I didn't notice that question myself - would've been covered as I could've done up the question I outlined last night on Belgium and how the Flemings and Walloons conflict regularly over issues of politics and govt, had it done for a cultural region question in the long qs. Although I'm assuming this was in your option and I do geo-ecology :o
    awhir wrote: »
    what did people get for Q9 and Q12 in the short questions

Jog my memory what they were on?

• Advertisement

1 was on the pics of the rocks and the other was the weather pictures .

awhir wrote: »
    1 was on the pics or rocks and the other was the weather pictures .

Naming rock types? Red sandstone, as you can imagine, was the big red one. 2 marks.

The sort of bubbled looking one obviously wasn't slate. Common sense. Go with what you know and then logically fill in what you don't with what's left, it isn't hard. You don't need to revise what rocks resemble by sitting having a chat with them - going with their general characteristics as you know best and linking a name to a rock-type is enough to get you the question's marks.

Weather pictures you just had to know and understand what high//low pressure (cyclones and anti cyclones) truly meant and sync it up with the pics,.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Not good. I was so happy to see over population and Tourism in SW USA was ok.

Apart from that it wasn't good. The Geoecology was tough, I always hate that anyway.

The Short Qs were harder than the papers, well I thought so anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

I left out a question by accident..a 20 marker grrr, I'm so pissed lol and it was the easiest question on the paper!!! I think thats why I forgot it ahh. So I'm down 5% already :(

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

To be fair there were past exam papers with 3 years of short qs, not to mention sample papers and huge amounts of information in the obvious chapters within the core book and the revision guides. They are marks for the stealing.

I didn't notice that question myself - would've been covered as I could've done up the question I outlined last night on Belgium and how the Flemings and Walloons conflict regularly over issues of politics and govt, had it done for a cultural region question in the long qs. Although I'm assuming this was in your option and I do geo-ecology :o

Jog my memory what they were on?

Course, not saying those questions were difficult, just thats it was easy to make silly little errrors what wit some strangely worded questions and time pressure:)

• Advertisement

Naming rock types? Red sandstone, as you can imagine, was the big red one. 2 marks.

The sort of bubbled looking one obviously wasn't slate. Common sense. Go with what you know and then logically fill in what you don't with what's left, it isn't hard. You don't need to revise what rocks resemble by sitting having a chat with them - going with their general characteristics as you know best and linking a name to a rock-type is enough to get you the question's marks.

Weather pictures you just had to know and understand what high//low pressure (cyclones and anti cyclones) truly meant and sync it up with the pics,.

haha got that but i had to guess between which was slate or limestone or granite.grainte was the bubbly one wasnt it ?

ya never knew them so it kinda a hard guess , the part d question to show which one was the clouds was it picture C ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭imfreein09

ImJohn wrote: »
    I left out a question by accident..a 20 marker grrr, I'm so pissed lol and it was the easiest question on the paper!!! I think thats why I forgot it ahh. So I'm down 5% already :(
    love my mate left out 130marks!!! her 80 geocol a 20m and a 3o m

imfreein09 wrote: »
    love my mate left out 130marks!!! her 80 geocol a 20m and a 3o m

Why did she do that like?

She's an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Gi joe! wrote: »
    Overall thought it was tough, especially some bogey short qs:mad:

Elective was grand, aswell as regional, cept my brazil sketch resembled a deformed blob haha

Option-culture and identity wasn't great

That feckin physical section, formation of sedimentary rocks or whatever- reckon i'll get marks for doing limestone pavement as a formation?

HAHA bro i did the same as you and wrote about limestone pavement cos i didnt know **** about sandstone, i thought learnin about just limestone would get me through any question. it would of been a much better question if they asked how one type of sedimentary was created and what landform it gives ya know.

I fu[ked up the short question on the season of the pic, i said autumn cos the boats werent in use hahahah. ahh jasus

the 80 mark on how humans alter biome, i did it all about california and the gold rush and how they deforisted, permenant settlement and agriculture that changed the biome, meh i should be ok :@)

HAHA bro i did the same as you and wrote about limestone pavement cos i didnt know **** about sandstone, i thought learnin about just limestone would get me through any question. it would of been a much better question if they asked how one type of sedimentary was created and what landform it gives ya know.

I fu[ked up the short question on the season of the pic, i said autumn cos the boats werent in use hahahah. ahh jasus

the 80 mark on how humans alter biome, i did it all about california and the gold rush and how they deforisted, permenant settlement and agriculture that changed the biome, meh i should be ok :@)

Why did you do that question and not human interaction with the rock cycle ie mining etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

It was suprisingly good! I did feck all studying save for some cramming the two hours before the exam and it served me well.

First question; O.S. Map (I LOVE THEM!), Plate Tectonics (didn't do lol), and Irish landform (drumlins!)
    Second question; I didn't get time to do it, hahaha.
    Third question; Aerial Photograph, Migration (did it on the West of Ireland to Dublin), and an area that'se use has changed over time (did Dublin Docklands)
    Option; Human's affects on soil erosion (fit perfectly in with the Sahel; nice!)

Overall, I think I got very goddamn lucky!

For the question of Population changes due to change of Economic status what did people choose? I see above me the west to the east was chosen.

I'd chosen that question as my last due to me thinking that it was going to be the worst of all of my answers. I chose Belgium though and how once everyone was in the south due to the sambre-meuse coal fields. and then people moved north due to jobs in transport in the ports in places like antwerp. What would've been perfect for that question?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

think i have an A2 in the bag :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭don101

think i have an A2 in the bag :)

scumbag!:)

• Advertisement

HARSH....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭danishidiot

I failed Maths Paper 1 in the mocks (higher level) but I did very well on todays paper. the hardest question was definately No.3. Integration and differentation were pretty easy.
    I thought the higher Geography was pretty well laid out besides the geoecology, which I had to waffle my way through... but I'd still say I got around a B2 - A2 in maths and a B3 - B1 in geography....
    Oh, and good luck tomorrow in the english paper! wOOt.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Right so.
    Overall I found it challenging.
    I don't like the Geography course because of the extent of it and the broad questions in the exam papers but at the same time I like the actual subject.

Right so

Short Questions: I found some of these challenging. I mean usually it's all tick tick, a,b,c,d but did anyone else notice that a lot of them didn't give you multiple choices. Like that weather map one?!

Physical:
    There were loads of parts I knew but were in different sections! I answered Q2 which was ummm... I can't remember.
    Oh yes! Sedimentary rock. Thank God I crammed in the Burren. Went on about how Ireland was underwater then all the things died and then voila, when it rose there was limestone and then I drew a crappy diagram and mentioned a bit about the Burren.
    The Part C for that was about the Gas Exploitation which I kinda of waffled on about - Corrib Gas Field and whatnot. Think it went ok.

Regions
    I answered the Q4 which was talking about the two physical factors that influenced the development of Agriculture. Not sure about that. Waffled on about Relief and Climate but not sure if I answered the specific terms of the question
    QC was difficult. Don't EVER remember studying it. It was about how population distribution affected the economic development of a non- Irish Urban Centre. Did Paris. Combined my knowledge of teritiary services and the case study about the Rioting in France. Not too sure about that at all.

Human Elective
    Q8 I think.
    I can't actually remember it now...
    Um. QB... Oh yes! Settlement Patterns. Lovely jubbly. QC - the change of functions in an Irish Urban Centre over time - Dublin. Basically talked about RICEPOTS mixed in with the change in historical settlement. God knows if that's right. Never studied it in my life!

Geoecology
    This was the thing I crammed in before the exam. Did not do it well in class and I really had no idea. I was so stressed I was coming out in hives beforehand. Couldn't find notes on the characteristics of a tropical rainforest biome so prayed that human interference came up, as it did.
    SO I basically waffled on and on about Deforestation and why humans did this. Then I talked about the consequences. Then I mentioned the good things about tourism [about 10 lines of it] Then I went back to the bad and criticised the Brazilian govt. and said it was a big pity it was happening.

I don't think I've ever bull****ted so much in my life! :o
    However, it's over.
    Thank. God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

For the question of Population changes due to change of Economic status what did people choose? I see above me the west to the east was chosen.

I'd chosen that question as my last due to me thinking that it was going to be the worst of all of my answers. I chose Belgium though and how once everyone was in the south due to the sambre-meuse coal fields. and then people moved north due to jobs in transport in the ports in places like antwerp. What would've been perfect for that question?:confused:

I did it on Italy as a whole, the north and the south. People migrating North etc.

haloauto wrote: »
    I did it on Italy as a whole, the north and the south. People migrating North etc.

Yup, merged all my knowledge about the Mezzo into it and got loads about how the Cassa scheme has made things better and how people are moving back to work and be employed within the vastly improved and more efficient/profitable latifundia schemes which have had their minifundia more balanced and re-bordered along with a load about tourism and the Autostrada Del Sole :) Got nearly 3 pages done for it before I knew it, was sound for time!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

I thought it was great.
    Didn't do much revision so just relied on old knowledge in the back of my noggin to pull me through.
    Luckily most of the stuff in the back of my head was on the paper.
    Short q's were simple, others were grand.
    Delighted with geoecology Q.18 on human activity.

Probably end up getting an F for all I know.

Antamojo wrote: »
    I thought it was great.
    Didn't do much revision so just relied on old knowledge in the back of my noggin to pull me through.
    Luckily most of the stuff in the back of my head was on the paper.
    Short q's were simple, others were grand.
    Delighted with geoecology Q.18 on human activity.

Probably end up getting an F for all I know.

Don't be crazy - with a good fieldwork project and that feel from the paper in general you've most likely nabbed a B if not an A!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sofa kingcool

seriously wasnt happy with that paper..

geography as a whole for the leaving cert is a joke..

way too many things to study and no way will anyone know
    everything in it off by heart..unless youve absolutely no life :pac: haha!

i think i did ok though ..hopefully...

no characteristics of a biome =:(:(:(

seriously wasnt happy with that paper..

geography as a whole for the leaving cert is a joke..

way too many things to study and no way will anyone know
    everything in it off by heart..unless youve absolutely no life :pac: haha!

i think i did ok though ..hopefully...

no characteristics of a biome =:(:(:(

Absolutely not true at all, I think you're just being overdramatic.

I would say up on 80-90% of what was predicted and talked about on podcasts, in class and from people in general's feelings based on past papers it was a very fluid and well predicted paper, so simple in some aspects and the only tricky bits were perhaps timing when most had so much to write D:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sofa kingcool

Absolutely not true at all, I think you're just being overdramatic.

I would say up on 80-90% of what was predicted and talked about on podcasts, in class and from people in general's feelings based on past papers it was a very fluid and well predicted paper, so simple in some aspects and the only tricky bits were perhaps timing when most had so much to write D:

lol we'll have to agree to disagree coz with all the stuff to learn in regional and everything else!, its tough to decide what will come up...

also you should be allowed to mix and match q's!!!

its not fair if someone has studied alot for it and nothing they studied for came up!and then they end up failing... when, if they got the questions they learned they would have aced!...

Advertisement