Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone City.????

Options
  • 05-06-2009 7:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

I have travelled through Athlone over several years.
    I marvel at the improvements.
    It used to be a bit of a one horse town, with the horse being the Prince of Wales hotel. They now have several top class hotels, and lots more top class developments.
    Is it a town council, or chamber of commerce who drive this change.?
    You normally find one or two key people behind this type of progress.
    Well done to Athlone.
    Other large towns should take note.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Other large towns should take note.

Yes. yes they should. The following are noteworthy examples

Naas
    Mullingar
    Portlaoise
    Tralee

Similar size places and apparent "regional centres" but between them, all they have is one college, some soon to be closed hospitals and a road to Dublin to justify the high cost of living in them.

That said, the number of people who diss Athlone is unbelievable. I dismiss these sort as negative neddies as i think they would say similar if they lived in Las Vegas.

For a town of its size, Ath has quite alot going for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I could have predicted that response veryangryman.

But why would Mullingar/Naas/Portlaise need a college?

Mullingar is an hour from Dublin and closer to Maynooth. Also its near Athlone which has a college. Naas has Dublin just up the road, and Carlow a few miles away, and also Maynooth. Portlaoise has Carlow. So how many colleges do we need? There's enough places churning out idiots without more making it easier for said idiots to get degrees.

That is all. For now :D

I could have predicted that response veryangryman.

But why would Mullingar/Naas/Portlaise need a college?

Mullingar is an hour from Dublin and closer to Maynooth. Also its near Athlone which has a college. Naas has Dublin just up the road, and Carlow a few miles away, and also Maynooth. Portlaoise has Carlow. So how many colleges do we need? There's enough places churning out idiots without more making it easier for said idiots to get degrees.

That is all. For now :D

By that reasoning, Athlone is ~ an hour from Galway/Maynooth.

Anyways, the original poster mentioned the one-horse town problem that the place used to have. The streetscape of it has improved alot in recent years. Have finally used the potential of the Shannon to blend in nicely with it too. And the Left Bank area is flooded to the gills with tourists at weekends

Granted. Then your not comparing like with like. None of the other towns mentioned have a natural amenity such as the Shannon or lakes. So Athlone has an advantage. They use this to gain tourism euros. If they didn't, they should be shot.

Tralee uses the fact that its in Kerry and is quite successful at the tourism. In fact, I'd say Tralee to be a better all round place than Athlone.

Naas has better night life. Portlaise/Athlone/Mullinagr are all on a par in the night life stakes - pretty rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

Nightlife is just one aspect of it.
    I predict it will be the next City in Ireland.
    Just a pit the Shannon did not run across the country.

• Advertisement

Nightlife is just one aspect of it.
    I predict it will be the next City in Ireland.
    Just a pit the Shannon did not run across the country.

Your joking aren't ya? What would make Athlone a city? Granted its a moderate sized town, much the same as plenty of others. But whats in Athlone to indicate it will be a city?

Your joking aren't ya? What would make Athlone a city? Granted its a moderate sized town, much the same as plenty of others. But whats in Athlone to indicate it will be a city?

It lacks a Cathedral, something that makes Kilkenny, Sligo and Waterford (which dont have that much else going for them) cities

Plus the fact that most of the population now live in Suburbs like Monksland and Moydrum has put the towns official population down to smaller levels

So this time, i will agree with the Rooster.

Why thank you veryangryman

Why thank you veryangryman

There is a "thanks" button on the right of my post that you have verbally thanked.

Click it. It will make your life richer for it

Indeed there is and I am fully aware of it. I just wanted to express my gratitude in words. Clicking a button is so pre-George Lee

Now, back to the topic, Athlone won't become a city. A few moderate hotels, a college, 1 decent shopping centre (Golden Island) and 1 complete waste (Town Centre) will count against the town. Add to the narrow streets the lack of parking and crap town centre means there is nothing much to bring people in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It seems some residents think being called a city is good for business.

I think Athlone is a lovely place and would not mind living there, I prefer it to my nearest large town of Mullingar. The river makes the difference to be honest.
    You can say all the negative things you like about Limerick for instance but at the end of the day down by the river is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Now, back to the topic, Athlone won't become a city. A few moderate hotels, a college, 1 decent shopping centre (Golden Island) and 1 complete waste (Town Centre) will count against the town. Add to the narrow streets the lack of parking and crap town centre means there is nothing much to bring people in.

Sounds like you just 90% described Dublin city centre.

Having travelled a bit, I feel cities are a bit sad in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

It doesn't have an Eddie Rockets. Regardless of your opinion on prices a city must have an Eddie Rockets to be a real city!

It doesn't have an Eddie Rockets. Regardless of your opinion on prices a city must have an Eddie Rockets to be a real city!

+1 to that

If thats the case, then fukcit, we dont need city status

Supermacs FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

jesus, we don't need an eddie rockets. Anyone remember the place in the middle of town, had a similar theme to eddie rockets. On the way to the town center (near the civic center side).

Anyway, would the town becoming a city really do it any good? I doubt it, sure isn't it only a difference in title. The college may eventually become a University, but... that's still a long way off. There's a lot of work to be done on the actual town, such as rejuvenating the Connaught side, sorting out the center of town in particular the bottleneck and traffic flow issues.

It's going to take a serious amount of foresight to get it right, so give the council time to get it right :) Doesn't matter to me if the town gets upgraded to city status, it'd still be Athlone :)

Anyways, the town is grand, "expanding" it by putting in poxy chainstores has zero appeal to me. Better to build up what's there and maybe generate our own viral shops ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Nail on the head there Bob. Your surname wouldn't be Shakespeare by any chance? :)

I'd hold off on even thinking about the city title until it gets:

Good facilities on the lake without spoiling it
    A decent promenade on the river
    Parks, and I don't mean a patch a grass where no-one has built an ugly house yet
    A sensible traffic plan for alleviating the bottlenecks (no more crazy one ways, thanks)
    Recycling facilities that don't encourage you to drive to them
    Public transport that can actually get you to places you want to go
    A decent size hall for concerts/events
    Quite a few more bins, especially the 50/50 recycling type
    A hospital wouldn't hurt
    An attractive environment for companies making medium to long term strategic plans (file Google under missed opportunities)
    About 10 times the population (see above)

Councillors? Personally I think there should be a minumum requirement for them to be able master Sim City before letting them loose on Real Athlone. At least that way we'd know they could do a good job, in theory.

Just so I don't seem overwhelmingly negative, there are a few positives that come to mind:

The restaurants are great
    The sports facilities have come a long way
    The college might become a University if some bright spark decides all the IoT's should be "upgraded" to make them more marketable internationally

It lacks a Cathedral, something that makes Kilkenny, Sligo and Waterford (which dont have that much else going for them) cities

Plus the fact that most of the population now live in Suburbs like Monksland and Moydrum has put the towns official population down to smaller levels

So this time, i will agree with the Rooster.
    The old definition of a City was that it had a Cathedral.
    I think the new one is to do with population.
    Not sure that Kilkenny or Sligo are classified as cities.??

I think Kilkenny was downgraded to a town due to population drop a few years back. Sligo was never a city.

I think Kilkenny was downgraded to a town due to population drop a few years back. Sligo was never a city.

That was also my undertanding.
    Population is the key now.

• Advertisement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sligo
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilkenny

Both clearly marked as cities.

Population is irrelevant. See St Davids in Wales with 2,000 people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_David%27s

Yes i know wiki can get it wrong sometimes. A Cathedral doesnt always make a place a city. Look at Tuam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuam

Yes i know wiki can get it wrong sometimes. A Cathedral doesnt always make a place a city. Look at Tuam

Quoting Wikipedia hardly proves the point.
    Tuam used to be classed as the smallest city in the world.
    Actually has two Cathedrals.

In Kilkennys wiki it says it "Is a city nd traditional county town of County Kilkenny in Ireland." So is it a city or town? A few years ago it was definitely classed as a town due to the population. It didn't stop people calling it a city either.

From my school days, the cities in Ireland not including the north) were:
    Dublin
    Galway
    Limerick
    Cork
    Waterford
    Kilkenny

Now Kilkenny has gone. Up north a couple of years ago, Newry exceeded the population limit for a town and became a city.

In Kilkennys wiki it says it "Is a city nd traditional county town of County Kilkenny in Ireland." So is it a city or town? A few years ago it was definitely classed as a town due to the population. It didn't stop people calling it a city either.

From my school days, the cities in Ireland not including the north) were:
    Dublin
    Galway
    Limerick
    Cork
    Waterford
    Kilkenny

Now Kilkenny has gone. Up north a couple of years ago, Newry exceeded the population limit for a town and became a city.

There is probably some government or county council website that states exactly which is a city or town.
    Saying it is in Wiki does not carry any weight. That's a bit like saying you heard it in the pub (late at night).

I as pooh-poohing the previous posters argument based on "facts" from wikipedia.

My comments are based on what I learned in school, heard on the radio/tv. Or was told by my sister who lives there.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

By that reasoning, Athlone is ~ an hour from Galway/Maynooth.

Maynooth is less than an hour from Athlone

Maynooth is less than an hour from Athlone

I want you to get into a car on Church Street Athlone and drive to the front entrance to Maynooth college at the permittable speed limits.

Time it. My moneys on it taking more than an hour

God i hate these fkn idiots who say ridiculous statements like this and the more infamous "Newrys an hour from Dublin". Yeah maybe the M50/M1 interchange to the roundabout, but what about the rest of the journey (not counting the traffic) smartarse

Route Planner (From Athlone to Maynooth)

Time: 1 hr 20 min
    Total Distance (Km): 103.32

One must always note that Town Centre to Town Centre, (even if 95% of the route is Motorway) does mean slowing down when entering/leaving urban area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Make IQ test mandatory :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

I want you to get into a car on Church Street Athlone and drive to the front entrance to Maynooth college at the permittable speed limits.

Time it. My moneys on it taking more than an hour

God i hate these fkn idiots who say ridiculous statements like this and the more infamous "Newrys an hour from Dublin". Yeah maybe the M50/M1 interchange to the roundabout, but what about the rest of the journey (not counting the traffic) smartarse

Im in college in Maynooth and drive it regularly

Advertisement