Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For the n00bs (anyone else who's interested)

Options
  • 05-06-2009 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭

Right, I said on the Kitchen Sync that if we got this forum that I'd be willing to have all you techno degenerates out to mine for a few beers, biscuits and a sort of 'A track in a day' thing.
    Basically I reckon this would be a good laugh:

I'll do a track start to finish on a Saturday (or Sunday), while everyone sits round drinkin, making suggestions, asking questions etc.

Sean has sat in with me before so he can probably tell ya if it'd be any use to ya.

Think I've got everything we need here (can move the setup to the living room for more space). If anyone would like to bring one of those projectors that'd be great.

T'would be an early start (we're talking a 9am job here), and I'm out in Maynooth (1 train journey from Connolly).
    Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Game ball once you don't have a secret basement with a lockable door :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

danm man id love to attend this thing.
    i can safely say anyone interested in making tracks should attend this.youll learn a whole lot

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'd definitely be into this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

JT... I'd be very interested to see how techno tracks are put together. Even though our music is not really dance oriented (it's more standard pop/rock bass, drums, guitar), I'd def sign up for that if the dates suit. It's all music at the end of the day.

... and since you're in Maynooth, then we're practically neighbours anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

If your blessed with a Mac, can you record your talking through a headset and video of the screen? - i'd be able to host large files on a decent server (and even encode the file down if needed)

Just thought i'd ask as a lot of people won't be able to attend :)

• Advertisement

Neurojazz wrote: »
    If your blessed with a Mac, can you record your talking through a headset and video of the screen? - i'd be able to host large files on a decent server (and even encode the file down if needed)

Just thought i'd ask as a lot of people won't be able to attend :)
    yeah theres screencapture software out there for this.go on jeff do it.
    i might attend on skype or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

yeah cool. good to see interest for it anywho. thought i was gonna look like a weirdo on the internets!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Is this meeting just for Techno heads or would somebody thats into house / electro also be welcome / benefit from it?

Let me know, thx.

acman wrote: »
    Is this meeting just for Techno heads or would somebody thats into house / electro also be welcome / benefit from it?

Let me know, thx.

yeah of course, everyone who has an interest is welcome. even if you're into hardcore breaks!:pac::pac:

Awesome, thanks! Count me in then...

Have you decided which day yet? (I vote for Saturday if possible :D)

• Advertisement

I think Saturday is the only feasible day. I can't go during the week for obvious reasons and I ain't getting up that early on a Sunday!!

ooh i had an idea.

i'll give out the stems/tracks on dvd/usb sticks afterwards so people can bring them home, shove them into whatever sequencer they're using (cubase,ableton,logic, pro tools, whatever) and do their own mixes.

one of the main downfalls of people new to production is their mixing, and there's no point in working tirelessly on your first masterpiece to inevitably not do it justice when it comes to the final mixing. This way you'll have a bit of experience etc.

yeah/no?

jtsuited wrote: »
    ooh i had an idea.

i'll give out the stems/tracks on dvd/usb sticks afterwards so people can bring them home, shove them into whatever sequencer they're using (cubase,ableton,logic, pro tools, whatever) and do their own mixes.

one of the main downfalls of people new to production is their mixing, and there's no point in working tirelessly on your first masterpiece to inevitably not do it justice when it comes to the final mixing. This way you'll have a bit of experience etc.

yeah/no?

Hell yeah! Great idea...will be interesting to see how everyone will remix your track-in-a-day :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

i'd love to attend if possible. I don't use Logic yet so even seeing the techniques involved would be a benefit. I'd vote for a Sunday, as I'm sure none of us heathens are going to mass.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Even though I know sod all about production I'd love to come along and observe - I've always been interested in the mechanics and would be interested to watch you guys work.

Also would be great to put a few faces to usernames after all this time!

So it's sorted then. Party in Jeff's gaff!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

What I think would be a bit of a laugh would be to have a 'popcorn' competition - everyone doing their own version.

You know, POPCORN - "doo doo doo do de da doo..."

So you end up with a ton of different versions, like the 79 here
    http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/03/79_versions_of_.html

but NOT like the one here - check out 0:59, sounds like a tone deaf monkey trying to play Da Hool's 'Meet her at the love parade'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

I've got the original (or just really old..) version on Vinyl.

Its very scuzzy & party worn at this stage. Pure filthy!

Popcorn by Hot Butter, or something I think it is. Great tune.

I vote for a Sunday!(After party post Sat night)
    :D
    + I work Saturday's but could try get a swap! Remember Slane is on the 20th.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    So it's sorted then. Party in Jeff's gaff!!!

:pac::pac:
    knew that would happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

count me in ...

watch and learn ... the best way to learn !

taking tracks home to butcher them also tops

I got a projector to bring

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Just make sure your contents insurance is up to date.

splitrmx wrote: »
    Just make sure your contents insurance is up to date.

Your Bared

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If I can I'd love to make it out. I've got enough gear now to get me started, and have done some messing around, but tbh I'm pretty much lost.

Its a bit of a trek out though. In any case, if I do manage to make it I could bring the handicam and a portable tripod. Its only gonna be DV res, but that'd be decent for the purpose. Only have a handfull of tapes though, would need more for a whole day, and load of up time.

If I can I'd love to make it out. I've got enough gear now to get me started, and have done some messing around, but tbh I'm pretty much lost.

Its a bit of a trek out though. In any case, if I do manage to make it I could bring the handicam and a portable tripod. Its only gonna be DV res, but that'd be decent for the purpose. Only have a handfull of tapes though, would need more for a whole day, and load of up time.

good shtuff, was gonna ask if anyone was a budding video guy. we can do a sort of 'in the studio with....' thing like Future music do.

jtsuited wrote: »
    good shtuff, was gonna ask if anyone was a budding video guy. we can do a sort of 'in the studio with....' thing like Future music do.
    excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

sounds fun, id be up for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

Where in Maynooth is your place? Shot in the dark, meadowbrook???

Where in Maynooth is your place? Shot in the dark, meadowbrook???

nope. lived there years ago though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Defo be interested, out of the country til the end of the month though. Finally getting around to starting some (basic) tracks!

Advertisement