Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For the n00bs (anyone else who's interested)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

So when is this happening then? Can we get a date established?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i'm a bit busy for next few weekends so maybe 2nd weekend in july or around then?

Sounds good to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

I don't post much but I'd love to come along if nobody has any objections. This would really help me in my own production, which has somewhat stagnated in the beginner's phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I'd also be interested in this, hopefully it won't clash with work. Plus it would be handy for me as I live in Maynooth myself.

• Advertisement

Right so, after a gentle nudge from Vinyl Junkie on saturday night I'm gonna try to organise this for sunday week (27th September). That suit anybody?

I can give lifts from the train station in maynooth if anyone's coming that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

someone video the tips:)

seannash wrote: »
    someone video the tips:)

haha, it would end up being 8 hours of me drinking tea and talking about sports. and a bit of music in between.:pac::pac::pac:

jtsuited wrote: »
    haha, it would end up being 8 hours of me drinking tea and talking about sports. and a bit of music in between.:pac::pac::pac:
    strong tea lots of milk.

do a demo on how to make a strong milky tea

then compress the hell out of the teabag

oh if you could talk about reverb.like not so much choosing the reverb but more about the attack,release etc of reverbs and what elements benefit from short reverb/long reverb.

obviously only if someones videotaping as i cant attend:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Would be rude not to turn up after that mild push

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

aye ... I'll be there too... good stuff !

I'll be driving from town, i can give one other character a lift - let me know

edit: I can bring along a projector, if it's any use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Sounds interesting indeed

Count me in! I'll bring the tea...:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sound like fun, I might pop in for some tea and watch if that's cool...

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

I would defo be interested in this. I will have to leave it late to confirm unfortunately. Fair play Jtsuited. You're a legend.

cool so we have enough people for next sunday. Consider it the official date.

I'm thinking set up in the kitchen/living room area, where I can fit about 8 people comfortably (probably more). I'm gonna try and keep to the fundamentals doing a track, so I'm only gonna use stuff people have, like logic's built in plugins (which are similar to most daw's default plugins), and a few ableton things (depending on what the most common setup for people there is).

For synthesis stuff, I'm going to actually use the Moog Modular as well, as I think that learning synthesis using modular stuff is actually the easiest way to get your head round it. Consider it the most basic synthesis primer ever made.

You might be thinking it's a bit odd that I take this time to teach all this stuff, but I really get a buzz out of sharing knowledge about this type of stuff with people who are passionate about music.

Hopefully I'm decent enough at teaching it, there are a few people here I've taught stuff to so they could probably comment further as to whether I am or not.

Ok, a few catches:

1. I'm not a very scientific guy. Well not when I'm making music, so be prepared for a good bit of fiddling around and very unscientific talk like 'yeah i'm feeling that now'.
    It it sounds right, it is right.

2. I work fast. So take your eyes and ears off what's going on and you're likely to wonder wtf happened.

3. Taking things too seriously will not be tolerated.

4. Meticulous note-taking is seriously frowned upon. In fact I'd rather people didn't take notes at all. But some people find it makes them pay attention better, so whatever works fo ya.

5. I will give everyone who's coming some preparatory notes and links etc., just so they're not completely lost if they're total n00bs.

6. I am planning on giving one-to-one tutorials in the coming months, and only decided to do this lately so this is not a sort of 'introductory seminar - now sign up for next 6 months and get a free hat' type thing'.

If ya feel you'd like to do some lessons with me in the future, that's cool, and I'm still in the process of deciding what rates to charge (believe me it'll be the cheapest around by a long-shot).

7. Don't wreck the place.

8. PLEASE try and be on time on the day. I can't emphasise this enough. It most likely is gonna be a 9 or 10 am start so don't go on a mad one the night before.
    It's gonna be a long day (most likely 9-9), but you'll learn loads.

9. Post in this thread if you are DEFINITELY coming.

10. Pm me if you have any questions. Everyone is welcome.

I'm a definite, although I don't think I could go 9-9 without taking notes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

What's for dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

Jtsuited - I'm gonna have to pull out. This poxy HDip i'm doing is demanding too much time from me. :mad: I would definitely be interested in the near future as I have every intention of getting a mac and acquiring the holy grail that is Logic. Would be great to have a sit-down with you then. :)

• Advertisement

Bobon wrote: »
    Jtsuited - I'm gonna have to pull out. This poxy HDip i'm doing is demanding too much time from me. :mad: I would definitely be interested in the near future as I have every intention of getting a mac and acquiring the holy grail that is Logic. Would be great to have a sit-down with you then. :)

cool man no problem.

ok i'm gonna keep a list here, so chime in if you're coming/not coming. So far we have

Acman
    VinylJunkie
    Colly (for a cup of tea)
    splitrmx (for dinner???)
    Romarr (will be driving from town so if anyone needs a lift)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I was up for going JT but unfortunately I'm working Sunday (I work most weekends) so I'll have to give it a miss for now. Maybe next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

I'm out of the country at the moment so won't be able to make it unfortunately. Make sure to video the highlights. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I might be around for this, it's in Maynooth right?

Anima wrote: »
    I might be around for this, it's in Maynooth right?

yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Valcin

I would like to sit in on this too. Thanks.

Valcin wrote: »
    I would like to sit in on this too. Thanks.
    Cool. Will give you a pm with details tomorrow.

ah crap can't edit my list (why is that btw? after how long do posts become uneditable?)

so we got:

Zascar
    Acman

Valcin
    Romarr
    Vinyl Junkie

If I'm leaving out anyone let me know. All welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I'm gonna have to pull out I'm afraid, had to head home to Galway this weekend :( Sucks, would have enjoyed this. Maybe some other time.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that jt, really enjoyable and a wopper hot chicken roll to boot.

Advertisement