Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRB TOSHIBA Junior World Championship 2009 - Live

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Dumbledore

ALH-06 wrote: »
    Come on he didn't trip over his own feet mate, he was tackled for chrissake.

And he didn't get run over for that try, he was in the sinbin. It was his replacement, Gahan. Very poor try saving effort alright.

I didn't see any tackle by a NZ player, even the commentator said he tripped.
    And no you are thinking of the second try the first was the crossfielder which was popped back inside and Spence tried to tackle your man around the shoulders about 4 metres out and he still scored.
    I agree with you about Gahan's woeful attempt at a tackle, he was just on the field but obviously did not have his head in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

RuggieBear wrote: »
    cheers guys.

so who looks most likely to break thru on the performances today...?

Yeah Madigan looked very good in attack. Very skillful player. We'll definitely see a lot of him in the future. Needs to work on his decision-making though as I've mentioned before. Especially as he plays at OH or FB...

The back row was superb. Especially Ryan but O'Hara and Ruddock were both excellent as well. Unbelievable athleticism and tackling.

I was also impressed with McKinley, who's looking like a great prospect at OH, and the substitute SH Conor Murray. Very quick & a sharp passer - that beautiful spin reverse pass near the end! Class...

Dumbledore wrote: »
    I didn't see any tackle by a NZ player, even the commentator said he tripped.
    And no you are thinking of the second try the first was the crossfielder which was popped back inside and Spence tried to tackle your man around the shoulders about 4 metres out and he still scored.
    I agree with you about Gahan's woeful attempt at a tachle, he was just on teh field but obviously did not have his head inteh game.

Ah fair enough I got mixed up.

The first try was very hard to defend to be fair, but I think if anyone is to blame it'd be the left wing, Keating. If you look at him, he gets mixed up over who to tackle and ends up tackling no-one. Madigan clearly had the catcher nailed into touch - Keating should have helped Spence cover the inevitable inside pass surely...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I didn't think he tripped, I thought there was a tap tackle in there (but really hard to tell with the small stream).

NSS went on about the haka, ffs. I'm sick of the bloody haka.

I think Ireland did well to hold them to 2 tries, there was serious pressure from 60-70 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Trojan wrote: »
    I didn't think he tripped, I thought there was a tap tackle in there (but really hard to tell with the small stream).

NSS went on about the haka, ffs. I'm sick of the bloody haka.

I think Ireland did well to hold them to 2 tries, there was serious pressure from 60-70 mins.

I don't mind the haka - what I do mind, and I seriously mind, is the idea that it must be respected, that no-one can challenge it. It gives any New Zealand team a huge pyschological advantage. War dances have been around for thousands of years, study Roman history for their comments about ours.

Why New Zealand are allowed to have somehting which gets them riled up while the rest of us have to meekly watch is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Joe, that is precisely my opinion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I don't mind the haka - what I do mind, and I seriously mind, is the idea that it must be respected, that no-one can challenge it. It gives any New Zealand team a huge pyschological advantage. War dances have been around for thousands of years, study Roman history for their comments about ours.

Why New Zealand are allowed to have somehting which gets them riled up while the rest of us have to meekly watch is beyond me.

Possibly because they are afraid this stuff will happen

Stev_o wrote: »
    Possibly because they are afraid this stuff will happen

But that's what bothers me! If you're not allowed respond New Zealand will always have an advantage against other teams.

If responding will cause fights, then get rid of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Leinster Ireland should be extremely disappointed with that. Handed them the 2 tries as far as I'm concerned, both came from really cheap turnovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

danthefan wrote: »
    Leinster Ireland should be extremely disappointed with that. Handed them the 2 tries as far as I'm concerned, both came from really cheap turnovers.

On the money...NZ didn't look too great. If the Irish lads had a bit of belief that they could have won they would have. A few handy players too in the forwards especially...O'Hara, Ryan and Ruddocks especially.
    ALH-06 wrote: »
    I was also impressed with McKinley, who's looking like a great prospect at OH, and the substitute SH Conor Murray. Very quick & a sharp passer - that beautiful spin reverse pass near the end! Class...

Agree re Murray but not with McKinley in this game. Have seen him before alright and looks a quality player but today didn't have the best of games. ireland only really opened out once Burke came on, don't think McKinley really gave his backs any good ball.

As for Spence, what was he thinking trying to catch that ball one handed after all the effort put in to work that space for him. Had a bit of a mare didn't he! And Gahan's attempted tackle was ROGesque in the extreme...wet paper bag :mad:

Starmer-Smith was a disgrace too...sounded like the NZ co-commentator was even embarassed by how biased he was...I mean respecting the haka...seriously :p

Overall some promising players there for the future. Oh ya wtf was up with the shocking kicking...think McKinley's was the worst attempt I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Does anyone know where I'd find highlights of this to watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

ollieo wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I'd find highlights of this to watch?

http://www.irb.com/jwc/video/

No highlights up yet but full match up alright...as it's not live stream will be possible to just fast forward through/skip to tries etc.

There are highlights of last weeks matches up as Day 1 highlights...check out the Samoan OH v Scotland...serious quality kid. Inside pass for first Samoan try pure class and then slots drop goal with last kick of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

GymJim wrote: »

No highlights up yet but full match up alright...as it's not live stream will be possible to just fast forward through/skip to tries etc.

There are highlights of last weeks matches up as Day 1 highlights...check out the Samoan OH v Scotland...serious quality kid. Inside pass for first Samoan try pure class and then slots drop goal with last kick of game.

Thanks I'll check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

CAn I take it the Aussie 18yo who scored agains the Baa Baas isn't in there JWC team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

jdivision wrote: »
    CAn I take it the Aussie 18yo who scored agains the Baa Baas isn't in there JWC team!
    James O'Connor. Nah, he's a bit busy at the mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Feckin the Leinster U20's out there!! 12 of the starting 15 being Leinster players, did well against New Zealand in the first half, 3 nil down after 40 mins, but slipped away a bit in the second with New Zealand grabbing 2 tries while Ireland down to 14 men. Respectable I suppose, certainly considering the dominance of the All Blacks at junior level even more so than senior level when the physicality stakes are slightly more even.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Feckin the Leinster U20's out there!! 12 of the starting 15 being Leinster players, did well against New Zealand in the first half, 3 nil down after 40 mins, but slipped away a bit in the second with New Zealand grabbing 2 tries while Ireland down to 14 men. Respectable I suppose, certainly considering the dominance of the All Blacks at junior level even more so than senior level when the physicality stakes are slightly more even.

Not bad for Leinster U20s versus an entire country :P

In all seriousness, the youth teams seem to be dominated by Leinster players over the last few years. Is it just swings and roundabouts or is there genuinely a better under-age system in Leinster? Most of the grand slam under 20s were Leinster too if I recall correctly. I find it hard to believe that Leinster produce that many better players at that age...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Not bad for Leinster U20s versus an entire country :P

In all seriousness, the youth teams seem to be dominated by Leinster players over the last few years. Is it just swings and roundabouts or is there genuinely a better under-age system in Leinster? Most of the grand slam under 20s were Leinster too if I recall correctly. I find it hard to believe that Leinster produce that many better players at that age...

Surely it is related to the strengh of the senior cup in Leinster no? I mean the big rugby schools train like professionals, and provide a constant conveyor belt of well drilled, and more importantly physically big players to the youth team. Ulster would probably be second in this regard. After a few years in the respective academies things seem to start to even out.

• Advertisement

dan719 wrote: »
    Surely it is related to the strengh of the senior cup in Leinster no? I mean the big rugby schools train like professionals, and provide a constant conveyor belt of well drilled, and more importantly physically big players to the youth team. Ulster would probably be second in this regard. After a few years in the respective academies things seem to start to even out.

Nah, it's nothing like that at all.

Ulster and Leinster just have teh biggest playing pools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

GymJim wrote: »

That's brilliant that you can get full match.

Did anyone listen to the outrage from the commentators at Irelands challenge to the haka?????

Feck off!! And plus, Ireland just got in there face, but as with the other videos, New Zealand started pushing and shoving, not Ireland, and I think if you can't get in their face or challenge them back without New Zealand players going on the physical attack, then it should be abolshid.

I'm a big fan of New Zealand and the Haka, but I don't know where this devine right comes from that they can attempt to intimidate you at the start of every single mathc, but if you step up to accept it, or even try and intimidate them, they can push and shove you and then you're branded a disgrace for standing up.

Horse poo. If that's the way it is, then get rid of it.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    That's brilliant that you can get full match.

Did anyone listen to the outrage from the commentators at Irelands challenge to the haka?????

Feck off!! And plus, Ireland just got in there face, but as with the other videos, New Zealand started pushing and shoving, not Ireland, and I think if you can't get in their face or challenge them back without New Zealand players going on the physical attack, then it should be abolshid.

I'm a big fan of New Zealand and the Haka, but I don't know where this devine right comes from that they can attempt to intimidate you at the start of every single mathc, but if you step up to accept it, or even try and intimidate them, they can push and shove you and then you're branded a disgrace for standing up.

Horse poo. If that's the way it is, then get rid of it.

Yep, that pisses me off no end

Ireland lost to Wales, cements what the All Blacks game was, a loss.

A rematch of last years final of England vs New Zealand.

Horribly bad finish for the team in Japan

Eighth Place Finish For Ireland Under-20s
    21 June 2009, 10:36 am
    Match report by Editor
    The Ireland Under-20s endured a frustrating end to their IRB
    TOSHIBA Junior World Championship campaign in Japan as they fell
    to a 9-3 defeat to Samoa in the 7th-8th place play-off in Fukuoka.
    2009 IRB TOSHIBA JUNIOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP: Sunday, June
    IRELAND UNDER-20s 3 SAMOA UNDER-20s 9, Level 5 Stadium,
    Fukuoka

Scorers: Ireland: Pen: Ian McKinley
    Samoa: Pens: Ioane Sefo, Ivy Leleisiuao, Rayhan Laulala

Allen Clarke's Ireland side suffered their second successive defeat at
    the IRB TOSHIBA Junior World Championship, as Samoa edged them
    out for seventh overall in a low-scoring play-off clash.

There was only one score in the second half - replacement Rayhan
    Laulala becoming the third different player to kick a penalty for
    Samoa in the 68th minute - and with only a six-point advantage they
    would endure a nervous end to the match.

Samoa did have the opportunity to make certain of victory four
    minutes from time when they worked an overlap, but the final pass
    went forward.

Ireland, captained by out-half Ian McKinley, threw everything they
    had at Samoa in search of the match-winning try, but to no avail.

Clarke's charges had earlier been the first to settle and they took a
    fourth minute lead courtesy of a well-struck McKinley penalty.

But then this powerful Samoan outfit began to dominate for long
    periods of the first half in terms of possession, even if much of it was
    only just inside the Irish half.

Samoan out-half Ioane Sefo missed with his first kick at goal in the
    seventh minute, but with Ireland’s tight defence containing the
    islanders' good passing and Sevens-inspired ingenuity it was perhaps
    inevitable that points would be hard to come by.

McKinley missed a penalty in the 21st minute, but with half backs
    Auvasa Falealii and Sefo a constant threat to the Irish defensive line
    it was the Samoans who scored next, squaring things up with a
    penalty by Sefo.

Sefo missed another penalty attempt, but Samoa did go in at the
    break with a slender 6-3 lead in the hot and humid conditions after
    full-back Ivy Lelesiuao slotted his penalty through the posts in the
    37th minute.

The words of the coaching staff at half-time clearly had the desired
    effect as the Irish youngsters came out and dominated the first 10 to
    15 minutes of the second half, with lock Joe Moran, replacement
    scrum half Conor Murray and inside centre Eamonn Sheridan
    particularly impressive.

However, the decision to kick for touch on two occasions proved
    costly with errors preventing them turning good field position into
    points.

The rest of the match was more even, neither side able to turn
    attacking opportunities points and leaving the final score 9-3.

Even in defeat, though, Ireland have improved their final position by
    one place, having finished ninth in the inaugural Junior World
    Championship last year.

Loosing to Samoa is just...............bad.

Advertisement