Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

jiltloop wrote: »
    Hi guys, this is my first offering in this thread. Go easy on me!

https://soundcloud.com/mantraveba/sepia-lens

really enjoyed that. Definite Aphex Twin vibe to your melodies. I really like the beats. Very nice production. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭paulthom8

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭paulthom8

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

Story.

Just about to (attempt to) mix this track down. Just looking for some advice before I do. It's quite messily put together and I'm changing the ending completely but any advice or tips welcome;)
    Cheers!

https://soundcloud.com/martin-crowley/martin-crowley-questionmark/s-4psIk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Ravenholm wrote: »
    really enjoyed that. Definite Aphex Twin vibe to your melodies. I really like the beats. Very nice production. Well done

Thanks man, aphex twin is definitely a big influence so that's a huge compliment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Beakflakes wrote: »
    Story.

Just about to (attempt to) mix this track down. Just looking for some advice before I do. It's quite messily put together and I'm changing the ending completely but any advice or tips welcome;)
    Cheers!

https://soundcloud.com/martin-crowley/martin-crowley-questionmark/s-4psIk

I'd be partial to this style of techno. I know you said it's unmixed but the kick is way too low in the mix. It almost sounds like it's underwater or something. To be honest nearly all the elements sound like they're passing through a lo-pass filter.
    I'd love to hear it with all it's punch and glory cos it sounds like it could be a belter

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

mordeith wrote: »
    I'd be partial to this style of techno. I know you said it's unmixed but the kick is way too low in the mix. It almost sounds like it's underwater or something. To be honest nearly all the elements sound like they're passing through a lo-pass filter.
    I'd love to hear it with all it's punch and glory cos it sounds like it could be a belter

Cheers for the advice dude. I used headphones alone to make this much, and then checked it on monitors which are in need of repair... so that could be the problem. What I was advised to do was A,B a well polished techno track alongside my own and flip between the two to compare and hopefully get the balance to work a bit better?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Something new that I whipped up over the weekend.
    https://soundcloud.com/scoob89/making-friends-with-the-future

Beakflakes wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice dude. I used headphones alone to make this much, and then checked it on monitors which are in need of repair... so that could be the problem. What I was advised to do was A,B a well polished techno track alongside my own and flip between the two to compare and hopefully get the balance to work a bit better?

I must admit to being a bit dubious about the whole A/B'ing thing when comaparing to a professionally produced track. While of course it's good to compare your work with the end result you are hoping to achieve it's not necessarily gonna show you how to do it. I think you are better off working on your own skill set to get your tracks up to you a standard you are happy with. Then of course you can see what you're missing in comparison to professional tracks and pick out things like 'my hats aren't quite as polished, maybe I need to work on the eq a bit more' etc. Of course that's just my opinion. Everyone has a different production methodology.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 randonio14

what do you guys think about this remix? I'm kind of confident about this one but still not sure :/

soundcloud.com/brandonrileyofficial/martin-garrix-headhunterz-id-once-again-brandon-riley-remix

• Advertisement

keithkk16 wrote: »

Nice minimal feel to this. I like the detuned bass synth. Works well with the deep pad sound that comes in. I'm not convinced by the higher stabs. They just don't fit overall sound IMO. Maybe if they had more of a gritty edge? It's really kicking at the drop at 2.18 although that clap is a bit weak. Yeah, kinda reminds me of a Funk D'Void track . . . nice :)

randonio14 wrote: »
    what do you guys think about this remix? I'm kind of confident about this one but still not sure :/

soundcloud.com/brandonrileyofficial/martin-garrix-headhunterz-id-once-again-brandon-riley-remix

The original is pure cack but that's not your fault. I would certainly prefer your version if I had to choose. However for me the main synth seems too loud in the mix compared to the rest of the elements.

Nice minimal feel to this. I like the detuned bass synth. Works well with the deep pad sound that comes in. I'm not convinced by the higher stabs. They just don't fit overall sound IMO. Maybe if they had more of a gritty edge? It's really kicking at the drop at 2.18 although that clap is a bit weak. Yeah, kinda reminds me of a Funk D'Void track . . . nice :)

Cheers man. What do think is wrong with the clap? Just not loud enough or does it need a bit more punch with a bit of eqing? If you can remember the name of the Funk D'Void track let me know.

Cheers man. What do think is wrong with the clap? Just not loud enough or does it need a bit more punch with a bit of eqing? If you can remember the name of the Funk D'Void track let me know.

It just sounds a bit thin. Maybe you've taken too much mids out with the eq'ing. You could also layer it with a nice punnchy snare and just turn down the snare in the mix so it's not exacylt audible but enough to give the clap a bit more beef.

It was this track it put me in mind of:

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

The kick is overpowering everything else. I'd take it down quite a few notches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

splitrmx wrote: »

See Keith.....What.....did......I......tell....yah

See Keith.....What.....did......I......tell....yah

Sounding any better now lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I missed out on your first mix of it but that sounds spot on to me.

Thoughts lads? haven't produced a track in around 6 years only started messing around with stuff again in the last week or so, a bit rusty.

https://soundcloud.com/shaneleigh/sriversdrop-a-gem-on-em-rough-edit

Easily your best work imo. I reckon some might feel the kick is still a tad too loud but I like it. Arrangement is good and sounds work well together. Any chance of a cheeky dl? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Kick is still too loud. Turn it down more and high pass filter it at 40Hz.

• Advertisement

Kick is still too loud. Turn it down more and high pass filter it at 40Hz.

Just gonna leave it now, tested it out on a few different devices and it sounds grand to me. Already got a high pass filter on it, anything under 60hz is barely hearable.

Easily your best work imo. I reckon some might feel the kick is still a tad too loud but I like it. Arrangement is good and sounds work well together. Any chance of a cheeky dl? ;-)

Cheers I'll send you pm with a link

tossy wrote: »
    I missed out on your first mix of it but that sounds spot on to me.

Thoughts lads? haven't produced a track in around 6 years only started messing around with stuff again in the last week or so, a bit rusty.

https://soundcloud.com/shaneleigh/sriversdrop-a-gem-on-em-rough-edit

I had a very quick listen there. I must give a full run through later but first impressions are that the pads and strings are nice and lush with a very listenable melody. However the kick and percussion are pushed back too far back in mix for me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I had a very quick listen there. I must give a full run through later but first impressions are that the pads and strings are nice and lush with a very listenable melody. However the kick and percussion are pushed back too far back in mix for me

Thank you,i didn't want to or tried not to have the percussion overpower the track or even be on a party as i thought it took away from the as you put it luxh,soft feel of the strings etc. Maybe i can bring them all out in the final mix, my mix down skills are well rusty though. I would have been mainly reason and acid pro based last time i produced, trying to grasp Ableton now.

Kind of a housey type track. Vocal hits supplied by a mate.
    https://soundcloud.com/subbed/lost

Kind of a housey type track. Vocal hits supplied by a mate.
    https://soundcloud.com/subbed/lost

Really nice track. Lovely melody and good vocals. The snare seems to get a bit lost halfway through then comes back to life again at the end. I would take a small bit of the low end out of the track when mastering it, just to let the mids and hats come through a bit more.

Really nice track. Lovely melody and good vocals. The snare seems to get a bit lost halfway through then comes back to life again at the end. I would take a small bit of the low end out of the track when mastering it, just to let the mids and hats come through a bit more.

Yeah, I had shaved some low end off in the master but I probably negated it with the multiband compression. It does sound a bit more bassy on Soundcloud than the original for some reason

Nice swing on the percussion but the delay on the vocal hit is almost too precise and seems a little at odds. Sounds better when the bassline comes in though.
    Really like the break at 3.00
    Nice minimal vibe overall but maybe a tad long?

• Advertisement

Nice swing on the percussion but the delay on the vocal hit is almost too precise and seems a little at odds. Sounds better when the bassline comes in though.
    Really like the break at 3.00
    Nice minimal vibe overall but maybe a tad long?

Yeah I could defo get rid of a few bars, don't think I needed to add that second break near the end, I could just start the outro there. Cheers.

Advertisement