Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Have a few tracks out on a disco vibe - first such release in this genre - the label Midnight Riot have put a lil video together - links to the previews of the other tracks on the release are in the description.

Don't know a lot about disco but from what I can hear I'm waiting for that bass to drop in from the intro a little bit too long. When the bass does come in though its slightly too heavy in the low end. I want to hear the vocal a little more. I don't know if its the bass being too heavy that takes away from the vocal or not though. The junk guitar sound is a little muddy I think but again it could be the bass knocking it out of whack. But nice vibes man just need a piña colada and I'm set!

I just have one simple question for you all. Is this audible to you?

Listen on low volume!! CAUTION.....

https://soundcloud.com/phil-golden/hear-me/s-BlF7M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I just have one simple question for you all. Is this audible to you?

Listen on low volume!! CAUTION.....

https://soundcloud.com/phil-golden/hear-me/s-BlF7M

Can't hear jack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Have a few tracks out on a disco vibe - first such release in this genre - the label Midnight Riot have put a lil video together - links to the previews of the other tracks on the release are in the description.

I think this is top quality personally. On repeat

Midnight Riot quality label too, well done pal!

• Advertisement

Mr.Plough wrote: »

Nice housey keys. Piano/organ hits a bit loud in the mix. The crushed snare hit is cool as is the arpeggiated synth. Clap/snare that comes in on top is too loud. Nice pads although crescendo again is a bit too loud imo.
    Fairly laid back vibe to the track as a whole. Might do with a an extra element or vocal to tie it all together a bit more.

I would agree...... Overall very chill very nice some minor adjustments and you are good to go. The open hat/hi hat between beats I think it is slightly loud. @59secs - 1min mark it just goes up a tiny bit too much. Before 58 secs the volume is fine. Did you hi pass the open hat? sounds a little tin I think maybe dial it back a little.

From 4.18 to 5.26 the sound of that arp is fantastic would you consider making that the main part of the song instead of the outro or the paste the arp delay volume setting into the main part its real good just don't want it to end.

Thanks Lads. Going to do a final mix taking your comments on board. Havn't worked with vocals yet but agree it would sit nicely

Just finished a collaboration with another reason user. Going to give it a few days until a final mix and master. Not quite sure what genre it would fall into though. Any feedback would help loads.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-golden/gmv

Just finished a collaboration with another reason user. Going to give it a few days until a final mix and master. Not quite sure what genre it would fall into though. Any feedback would help loads.

Kind of electro bassline which could do with a bit of rolloff on the lower freq.
    Unusual style alright, kind of slow breaks with kraftwerk-esque influences. Some nice vocal samples used. Probably could take a few minutes of the length. There are same nice subtle pads here and there which could be utilized a bit more in the track I think.

• Advertisement

If the kick(i think?) that comes in threes throughout was replaced with some sort of warm basey sound with possibly some more variation to it it would be better imo, but that could be a matter of preference. I agree with Mordeith on the length, would progress the tune a tiny bit quicker to reduce rather than cut, but If you were to put in a lower end basey sound to make it more dancier the length most likely wouldn't be an issue for me. Like the high end stuff and the vocals.

Can't comment technically because I can't produce tracks that clean yet :D

Thanks lads working on a master with some slight changes to progression and overall length. There is 3 kicks throughout. A low heartbeat rhythm kick and mid ranged irregular beat and the hip hop sort of beat. There was a fourth kick sample but that got replaced by a sine wave sub. Trying to make it sit with the rest and not clash was tricky. Originally it was going to be a techno track, how it turned out...

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

So I went and made some 127 bpm techno/house reworks of two legends, cause why not! These tracks are heavy on the percussion and techno side of things with a 90s feel. All feedback welcome. Ps soundclouds stream seems to lose out on the sound quality of the tracks so please listen to on headphones or a decent set of monitors
    https://soundcloud.com/scoob89/sets/jb-mj-reworks

keithkk16 wrote: »
    So I went and made some 127 bpm techno/house reworks of two legends, cause why not! These tracks are heavy on the percussion and techno side of things with a 90s feel. All feedback welcome. Ps soundclouds stream seems to lose out on the sound quality of the tracks so please listen to on headphones or a decent set of monitors

A lot of clipping going on in JB and when the kick drum comes in on MJ.... Had to reach for the volume to turn it down and the volume is at 15% if even. Did you run them through a dj mixer have that kind of clipping sound to them. Soundclouds converting makes sh*te of high end alright.

I could give you better feedback if that clipping was not present cause I can hear some nice structure to both tracks just can't hear them clearly with the squishy sound of distortion.

keithkk16 wrote: »

Like Waffles said above the volume is hella loud! Still there is that muddiness that harks back to the 90s house sound alright, although the style is more reminiscent of the 2000s Junior Jack stuff for me. All funky like :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

4 minute minimalish Jam.
    Mordeith still rocking the forth i see :)

https://soundcloud.com/oscillator3/powerpill

Quite like this myself

Quite like this apart from the vocals, particularly the one at the beginning

4 minute minimalish Jam.

I'm like a plague around here :). I'm after upgrading my laptop and undated my version of Fl so still sorting out my plugins and crap so hopefully I'll have something of my own to put up at some stage.

Great depth on that kick. Interesting balance with the early synth sounds, works well. Keeping the interest going with the string sections as well. Could see this as being a great intro track to a heavy techno set

mordeith wrote: »
    I'm like a plague around here :). I'm after upgrading my laptop and undated my version of Fl so still sorting out my plugins and crap so hopefully I'll have something of my own to put up at some stage.

Great depth on that kick. Interesting balance with the early synth sounds, works well. Keeping the interest going with the string sections as well. Could see this as being a great intro track to a heavy techno set

Yeah definitely get back into producing more man, you break down tracks very well.

Cheers for the feedback, just a jam, the kick is from the mfb tanzbar, pads from jx03 and the rest is a eurorack system - an outboard compressor used too

i hope to be around here more often, i was away for a while, cheers

• Advertisement

Cheers for the feedback, just a jam, the kick is from the mfb tanzbar, pads from jx03 and the rest is a eurorack system - an outboard compressor used too

i hope to be around here more often, i was away for a while, cheers

Out of curiosity did you run everything through the compressor or just certain tracks?

mordeith wrote: »
    Out of curiosity did you run everything through the compressor or just certain tracks?

i have a few different compressors - i used 2 drum machines which went through 1 (stereo compressor) in mono (l/r)for each drum machine, 1 eurorack system went through another compressor, another eurorack system was just dry and then the jx 03 just went through a reverb (spur of the moment thing )

bit lazy really!!

4 minute minimalish Jam.

Damn that kick is nice!! Could definitely build something around the part at 2.18-2.41. I like those cascading drips.

Been looking into getting modular gear myself but wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Quite like this apart from the vocals, particularly the one at the beginning

When I asked the collaborator what sort of style of beat he wanted he gave me a link to a quote out of Good Morning Vietnam (the 'anything just play it loud' vocal used) Not to be taking too seriously. Its in homage to Robin Williams more so than fitting to the track. Had to talk the collaborator out of using the "good morning vietnam" scream. Probably wouldn't have used the vocals myself if I had the choice but I think they work with the song if you see them for what they are just a bit a fun. Funnily the beginning vocal is supposed to be satirical and not to be taking literally. Did you boogaloo but??

Damn that kick is nice!! Could definitely build something around the part at 2.18-2.41. I like those cascading drips.

Been looking into getting modular gear myself but wouldn't have a clue where to start.

When I asked the collaborator what sort of style of beat he wanted he gave me a link to a quote out of Good Morning Vietnam (the 'anything just play it loud' vocal used) Not to be taking too seriously. Its in homage to Robin Williams more so than fitting to the track. Had to talk the collaborator out of using the "good morning vietnam" scream. Probably wouldn't have used the vocals myself if I had the choice but I think they work with the song if you see them for what they are just a bit a fun. Funnily the beginning vocal is supposed to be satirical and not to be taking literally. Did you boogaloo but??

Hey cool, making music it should always be about having fun, if your happy, then that's the main thing.

I wouldn't encourage anybody to get into modular, it's very fun and interesting and the sonic palette of sounds is really endless, you can chop and change modules, grow bigger systems, actually it's brilliant.
    However, it is a serious money pit, once in, it's hard to resist getting more modules.
    I never use any software except to record and then a few efx and eq plugins to master (attempt to master ha), i find software boring but i would encourage anybody to start with software as you are doing now (not saying your new!!!) and then if you see the potential and maybe even making a bit of dosh out of it via a few sales or gigs etc, try out some hardware.
    In other words, do it (make music) as cheap as possible, if you make some money or indeed just like it and its your thing/hobby, buy a few choice pieces of hardware. monosynth (or small modular), a poly, drum machine, sampler and compressor. Stop right there, it's more than you need!!

Cheers

Hey cool, making music it should always be about having fun, if your happy, then that's the main thing.

I wouldn't encourage anybody to get into modular, it's very fun and interesting and the sonic palette of sounds is really endless, you can chop and change modules, grow bigger systems, actually it's brilliant.
    However, it is a serious money pit, once in, it's hard to resist getting more modules.
    I never use any software except to record and then a few efx and eq plugins to master (attempt to master ha), i find software boring but i would encourage anybody to start with software as you are doing now (not saying your new!!!) and then if you see the potential and maybe even making a bit of dosh out of it via a few sales or gigs etc, try out some hardware.
    In other words, do it (make music) as cheap as possible, if you make some money or indeed just like it and its your thing/hobby, buy a few choice pieces of hardware. monosynth (or small modular), a poly, drum machine, sampler and compressor. Stop right there, it's more than you need!!

Cheers

Yeah I seen the prices of some of the modular gear. If I was to get into it I would probably DIY it though seems like it would be cheaper and the best way to learn modular having to know what each connection does underneath the pots.

Got a Waldorf Rocket synth there a while ago and a BeatStep sequencer still messing around with them haven't made any songs with it yet! I will probably modify the rocket to be compatible with any other modules I would get. It's got midi in/out and VCF in and line level/ headphone out. For the price of the rocket it is very good introduction to Hardware synths.

I was thinking of getting one of those mutant drum modules seems the best place to start. I don't know though a synth module capable of reproducing kick sounds and a shoebox would probably better.

Do you know of any DIY resource sites.

Yeah I seen the prices of some of the modular gear. If I was to get into it I would probably DIY it though seems like it would be cheaper and the best way to learn modular having to know what each connection does underneath the pots.

Got a Waldorf Rocket synth there a while ago and a BeatStep sequencer still messing around with them haven't made any songs with it yet! I will probably modify the rocket to be compatible with any other modules I would get. It's got midi in/out and VCF in and line level/ headphone out. For the price of the rocket it is very good introduction to Hardware synths.

I was thinking of getting one of those mutant drum modules seems the best place to start. I don't know though a synth module capable of reproducing kick sounds and a shoebox would probably better.

Do you know of any DIY resource sites.

Check out the below, they do workshops too and are based in Glasnevin

http://www.maker.ie

https://soundcloud.com/clapsandkeys/2am-work-in-prog

Not quite sure where to take this?

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Not quite sure where to take this?

Hope you don't mind, probably should have asked, but I downloaded 2am and done a little bit of editing. Added a couple of things might work or not, hopefully give you some ideas anyway.

Edited the two breaks made them 5 bars and 4 bars and did some EQ automation. Also reversed the last two hats on the second break.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-golden/claps-and-keys-2am-3am-edit/s-YSirW

Hope you don't mind, probably should have asked, but I downloaded 2am and done a little bit of editing. Added a couple of things might work or not, hopefully give you some ideas anyway.

Edited the two breaks made them 5 bars and 4 bars and did some EQ automation. Also reversed the last two hats on the second break.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-golden/claps-and-keys-2am-3am-edit/s-YSirW

This is really good man!

Do you have any tips how to EQ like that, I'm pretty poor on EQing

Also how are you pulling that sound at around (02:05) the droning kind of sound. Love it man, thanks very much for helping me out

• Advertisement

byrneg28 wrote: »
    This is really good man!

Do you have any tips how to EQ like that, I'm pretty poor on EQing

Also how are you pulling that sound at around (02:05) the droning kind of sound. Love it man, thanks very much for helping me out

What DAW do you use? I just used a graphic EQ to see the frequency data and automated cuts with high Q settings on the peaks.

I use Reason 8 there is Mid/Side (mono) and the L/R audio going to the master fader so three separate tracks. Have some of the sub low end removed from the mid with a few dB cut and high end boost that's also delayed .025ms.

Drone (F C# chord) is just an edited patch with some high res frequency automation starting low and rising then I Hooked the frequency up to an oscillator to get it pulsing. The other sounds would take a while to explain but they are hooked up to oscillators, have infinite decay in parts and are heavily automated.

Would you be into doing a collaboration on the track?

395261.JPG

Advertisement