Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

What DAW do you use? I just used a graphic EQ to see the frequency data and automated cuts with high Q settings on the peaks.

I use Reason 8 there is Mid/Side (mono) and the L/R audio going to the master fader so three separate tracks. Have some of the sub low end removed from the mid with a few dB cut and high end boost that's also delayed .025ms.

Drone (F C# chord) is just an edited patch with some high res frequency automation starting low and rising then I Hooked the frequency up to an oscillator to get it pulsing. The other sounds would take a while to explain but they are hooked up to oscillators, have infinite decay in parts and are heavily automated.

Would you be into doing a collaboration on the track?

395261.JPG

Yeah I'd be interested, thanks for this, give me a shout on Soundcloud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

byrneg28 wrote: »
    https://soundcloud.com/clapsandkeys/2am-work-in-prog

Not quite sure where to take this?

Personally I'd fade in some sort of mid-high arp/string/keys from 2.20 to 2.40 and just let it run a bit longer. Throw in some variation later on and you'd be set imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Final mixed and mastered that collaboration track.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-golden/gmv-master-2/s-Ivj3b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

hellboy99 wrote: »

First let me state that while opinions on music style are of course subjective I still think it's worth laying it out in a review. In this case I always feel a remix of this tune should go towards a harder edge. Now that's out of the way on to the rest :)
    The kick sounds like it's peaking a tad and as a result loses a bit of clarity.
    The piano is a nice touch and reminded me a pit of Eric Pridz - Pjanoo. The finger click/clap is nice and sharp and cuts through the main synth well. You have worked some nice variations into the main melody although maybe some more modulation on the sound itself would be of benefit. Decent remix overall.

• Advertisement

Final mixed and mastered that collaboration track.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-golden/gmv-master-2/s-Ivj3b

Overall sound is much clearer. Really like the eerie choir-esque pads. Bassline much cleaner and sitting better in the mix. That low pitch snare combines well with the kick. Nice job.

mordeith wrote: »
    First let me state that while opinions on music style are of course subjective I still think it's worth laying it out in a review. In this case I always feel a remix of this tune should go towards a harder edge. Now that's out of the way on to the rest :)
    The kick sounds like it's peaking a tad and as a result loses a bit of clarity.
    The piano is a nice touch and reminded me a pit of Eric Pridz - Pjanoo. The finger click/clap is nice and sharp and cuts through the main synth well. You have worked some nice variations into the main melody although maybe some more modulation on the sound itself would be of benefit. Decent remix overall.
    Cheers for the feedback, appreciate it :) Came out ok so it did, better than I thought.

Still getting to grips with the Maschine unit and all the software so all feedback is very welcome and helpful. Sound wise I'm getting there slowly.
    Can anyone recommend me a good set of headphones, I do have monitors but finding the time to put them on and having a 2 year old doesn't mix well.

Cheers for the feedback, appreciate it :) Came out ok so it did, better than I thought.

Still getting to grips with the Maschine unit and all the software so all feedback is very welcome and helpful. Sound wise I'm getting there slowly.
    Can anyone recommend me a good set of headphones, I do have monitors but finding the time to put them on and having a 2 year old doesn't mix well.

Use Sennheiser HD25 myself very good low on them and able to produce high SPL's without distortion.

Can't go wrong with Sennheiser imo. Beyerdynamics DT series are supposed to be great too was looking into getting a pair a while back.

Here's a site that reviews headphones properly: http://www.head-fi.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Would appreciate a listen and some feedback on this work in progress. Bit different from the usual stuff. Be class if you's throw out anything that comes to mind!

https://soundcloud.com/markcremin/mark-c-dont-stop-it/s-RGKmo

:)

• Advertisement

WasterEx wrote: »
    Would appreciate a listen and some feedback on this work in progress. Bit different from the usual stuff. Be class if you's throw out anything that comes to mind!

That clap and your high end sounds out of phase. Doesn't seem to be enough meat in the kick and clap for me but you have some nice elements in the track that you could expand and work towards a long break with. The synth's seem to be progressive but then it all ends... Adding some nasty frequency distortion to the synth's might get them sitting into the track properly with the dirty bass, which is fine but as I said the synth's are not blending with it because of the dryish sound they have against the bass imo.

Might be worth slowly removing the vox sample with low frequency filtering if you work towards a break and bring it back in maybe in a different capacity to get rid of the repetitiveness of it. But its good so far!

That clap and your high end sounds out of phase. Doesn't seem to be enough meat in the kick and clap for me but you have some nice elements in the track that you could expand and work towards a long break with. The synth's seem to be progressive but then it all ends... Adding some nasty frequency distortion to the synth's might get them sitting into the track properly with the dirty bass, which is fine but as I said the synth's are not blending with it because of the dryish sound they have against the bass imo.

Might be worth slowly removing the vox sample with low frequency filtering if you work towards a break and bring it back in maybe in a different capacity to get rid of the repetitiveness of it. But its good so far!

Awesome feedback man, thanks! Just in relation to the clap and high end being out of phase, I'm not sure if I understand; is it the stereo image for the highs that are fcked?

Ah, I know what you mean about the synth vs the bass, definitely looking to do more with those so that's an idea I'll try for sure!

Cheers :cool:

Decent kick and bassline. The hats seem almost non-existent though, might be worth bringing them out a bit more. The main synth melody is a but reedy sounding for me. Layering it with another slightly thicker sound would work wonders I think. On levels I would probably lower the bassline a tad. Nice little tune though. It has a certain melancholy feel despite the chirpy sounds which ties in nicely with the title. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

i like it, really nie bassline and beat but consider cutting out the "c'mon dont stop" at parts, bit tiresome to hear him through the whole song saying it.

is it from a sample pack (the vocal)? because it has that feel to it. Consider recording your own lyrics, get a friend in who can sing. Because i feel if you had a chorus or a verse or something in this song when the kick comes in, it would be great, but just my opinion.

My take on an old classic :)

sounds great! throw in a break down though to give the listener a break from the hard pounding 4/4 kick ahah

Nice intro although probably needs some other elements coming in a bit earlier rather than the straight drop. I'd agree that the vocal could be dropped every now and then or even just chopping the 'don't stop' for a few bars. The snare sounds a bit splashy, could benefit from a bit more punch. Nice growl on the bassline. The main synth lines is nice. Might be an idea to run together for a few bars as well instead of the regular break. Good groove to the track overall though.

Awesome feedback man, thanks! Just in relation to the clap and high end being out of phase, I'm not sure if I understand; is it the stereo image for the highs that are fcked?

Had another listen to it there. I think its the clap that's either double tracked or its the clap sample, was the sample taken from a looped clap with a phase effect on it.

Nice intro although probably needs some other elements coming in a bit earlier rather than the straight drop. I'd agree that the vocal could be dropped every now and then or even just chopping the 'don't stop' for a few bars. The snare sounds a bit splashy, could benefit from a bit more punch. Nice growl on the bassline. The main synth lines is nice. Might be an idea to run together for a few bars as well instead of the regular break. Good groove to the track overall though.

Cheers dude! Yeah for sure, I'm a bit iffy about the drop being where it is at the moment anyway but the vocal will definitely be getting a few adjustments and cuts based on the other feedback too.
    Had another listen to it there. I think its the clap that's either double tracked or its the clap sample, was the sample taken from a looped clap with a phase effect on it.

It's a vengeance snare, most of my percussion sounds are cut from different samples. That's good to know anyway, I'll have to double check those cuts! Sound!

Cheers dude! Yeah for sure, I'm a bit iffy about the drop being where it is at the moment anyway but the vocal will definitely be getting a few adjustments and cuts based on the other feedback too.

It's a vengeance snare, most of my percussion sounds are cut from different samples. That's good to know anyway, I'll have to double check those cuts! Sound!

I'd say it would compliment another snare, that phase effect, if it was layered with a snare with more bottom end/beefy mids.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭paulthom8

Haven't been active in a while. Just a little piece i put together over the last day or so. Cheers.

https://soundcloud.com/powerstatefailure/a-thousand-fathoms

• Advertisement

Will have to give that few more listens to a lot going on. Can hear the influences you have in it I like it! Could do with the beat coming in a little earlier though from first listen!

Quick mess around with STEMS and put this remix together:

Quick mess around with STEMS and put this remix together:

I will just say, try avoid showing us youtube. It ****s up electronic music most of the time with its compression

nice remix. i dont know the original but it sounds solid

shane9689 wrote: »
    I will just say, try avoid showing us youtube. It ****s up electronic music most of the time with its compression
    I can't upload it to my Soundcloud account :(

New tune I'm currently working on :)

https://soundcloud.com/dj-taranis-1/wh2-dj-taranis

New tune I'm currently working on :)

https://soundcloud.com/dj-taranis-1/wh2-dj-taranis

Good foundation for a decent track here. Not sure the pluck has enough presence to be the main line though. Mighty need some synth/pad to thicken it up a bit.

byrneg28 wrote: »

Great start with rolling bassline and strong kick. Not sure the tom percussion loop fits though. Something about the tone doesn't sit right for me. Woodblock nice counter balance to the deep sounds. That heavy distorted hit also adds some nice grit. I think the pad hit needs to be brought down in the mix and maybe filtered a bit. Nice track overall though.

• Advertisement

Great start with rolling bassline and strong kick. Not sure the tom percussion loop fits though. Something about the tone doesn't sit right for me. Woodblock nice counter balance to the deep sounds. That heavy distorted hit also adds some nice grit. I think the pad hit needs to be brought down in the mix and maybe filtered a bit. Nice track overall though.

That's some solid feedback Mordeith, much appreciated! Will try and change it around a bit and see how it goes!

Advertisement