Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Was going to post this in the resources thread but this seems to be the only thread in the forum that is active. Only just downloaded a plug-in for Reason Devastor 2, it's multiband distortion unit. In no way affiliated really like the way it shapes sounds.

This Plug-in is the ****.

Comparison sample I cooked up: Got carried away...

https://soundcloud.com/phil-golden/devastor-2-bypasses

I believe this is the plug in I have been looking for loudness.

The quite parts are the plugin being bypassed. I added some delays and reverb to the stab sample separately when I got carried away
    plug in doesn't have delay or reverb and there is a really high Q eq at 42 hz on the kick in parts. The first stab/synth bit you hear is no effects dry sample.

WasterEx wrote: »
    Been a few months in Berlin now and I can definitely say my taste in music has transformed a lot....wonder why :P Just been experimenting with different music and said I'd throw down my current wip for feedback. Thoughts on the lead that comes in about 1:15 or anything else would be sawweet.

https://soundcloud.com/antocmusic/antoc-chakra/s-BKl6H

Cheerzz

At the moment, the breaks and builds are really dry, that will certainly change but for the moment tis grand.

Broken Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Was going to post this in the resources thread but this seems to be the only thread in the forum that is active. Only just downloaded a plug-in for Reason Devastor 2, it's multiband distortion unit. In no way affiliated really like the way it shapes sounds.

This Plug-in is the ****.

Comparison sample I cooked up: Got carried away...

https://soundcloud.com/phil-golden/devastor-2-bypasses

I believe this is the plug in I have been looking for loudness.

The quite parts are the plugin being bypassed. I added some delays and reverb to the stab sample separately when I got carried away
    plug in doesn't have delay or reverb and there is a really high Q eq at 42 hz on the kick in parts. The first stab/synth bit you hear is no effects dry sample.

Certainly adds oomph to the kick (I'd probably dial it down a tad mind!) :P
    I presume you didn't insert it on the bass line?

mordeith wrote: »
    Certainly adds oomph to the kick (I'd probably dial it down a tad mind!) :P
    I presume you didn't insert it on the bass line?

Yeah defo just a demo of it I'll probably end up using it to start a song though. There is three tracks in it all have Devastor on them. The bass thing also has an external delay but its actually a synth snare drum sample with low pitch.

It comes in all plugin formats, well worth trying it out imo. Shapes the sound so well. Had it on my master chain for a finished song and was able to gain to +11 dB loudness without using the distortion or clipping. The limiter section on it is deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Yeah sorry man, Tune is finished now if you're down for a listen or anyone else.

Btw liking that little demo of the plugin you mentioned. I'll check it out!

• Advertisement

Yeah sorry man, Tune is finished now if you're down for a listen or anyone else.

https://soundcloud.com/antocmusic/antoc-screamer?in=antocmusic/sets/2-x

Damn that's eargasmic. Screamer - Bass, maybe want to take a dB or 2 off it imo slight compression just to take that pop off it, but damn its banging!

Damn that's eargasmic. Screamer - Bass, maybe want to take a dB or 2 off it imo slight compression just to take that pop off it, but damn its banging!
    Nice one for the support on SoundCloud man! Glad to hear you like. Also about the bass, cheers. Using 15euro Phillips headphones so it's sort of hard to get my mixing done properly but good to know how much the headphones exaggerate things. :angel:

Funky bassline which works well with the stabs. Agree with Waffles on the bass level, the kick gets a bit lost there. Buildups are nicely put together and the vocal elements add a nice bit of depth. I'm not a fan of the high pitched key notes, to me anyway they don't fit with the overall fatness of the track.

Nice one for the support on SoundCloud man! Glad to hear you like. Also about the bass, cheers. Using 15euro Phillips headphones so it's sort of hard to get my mixing done properly but good to know how much the headphones exaggerate things. :angel:

No bother... Well if you can get it sounding good on terribly sounding equipment it will sound good so they say. I picked up a pair of Seinnheiser MX 375 ear buds in maplin few months back for €20 or something they have a really good flattish frequency response. They'd be my go to at the minute for laying stuff out.

Another here; more of a funky track. I found some vocals and reversed them and thought it would be cool to have them in the tune. Also tried to monitor the bassline better with this track but if it's to loud do tell :angel:

Cheers [font=Interstate, "Lucida Grande", "Lucida Sans Unicode", "Lucida Sans", Garuda, Verdana, Tahoma, sans-serif]ツ[/font]

• Advertisement

Another here; more of a funky track. I found some vocals and reversed them and thought it would be cool to have them in the tune. Also tried to monitor the bassline better with this track but if it's to loud do tell :angel:

https://soundcloud.com/antocmusic/antoc-funk-me/s-Y2r6d

Cheers [font=Interstate, "Lucida Grande", "Lucida Sans Unicode", "Lucida Sans", Garuda, Verdana, Tahoma, sans-serif]ツ[/font]

Quick look at a vu meter says Bass level is about 4 dB above the peak level of the kick. The Kick drum in the intro is little airy sounding for my tastes, but seems to site well when the bass comes in sounds like the kick has less decay there can't tell. I would probably slightly lower the crash level also, they peak slightly above the kick too. Another good one though!

Another here; more of a funky track. I found some vocals and reversed them and thought it would be cool to have them in the tune. Also tried to monitor the bassline better with this track but if it's to loud do tell :angel:
    https://soundcloud.com/antocmusic/antoc-funk-me/s-Y2r6d

It sounds pretty clean and sharp overall. The vocal works well although the riser is probably overdone a bit imo. Nice filter work on the bassline before the first drop though. Wah wah guitar fits well with the vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Lads question for you, at what point do you decide you are happy with a mix and the track is ready for mastering?

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    Lads question for you, at what point do you decide you are happy with a mix and the track is ready for mastering?

I usually listen to the track on a few systems (phone, car stereo, Bluetooth speaker and monitors) and if I'm happy there I'll take a break and then have another listen on main system a few days later. If I'm still happy I'll apply whatever mastering at that stage. Usually just a bit of multiband compression.

Don't think I'm ever happy :D Have tons of unfinished stuff needing just one or two more or maybe less elements

Definitely helps listening from different environments and taking a few days break before you master, fresh ears.

Just thinking there Lads, besides this thread this forum is completely dead. Any idea's on how to breath new life into the forum? There is 3 forum mods that I don't think I have heard a peep from since joining the forum not saying that's a bad thing mind you but it would be good to hear from them from time to time.

Was thinking we could all do a bit of a collab track or even a mix remix whatever you want to call it of a track. Pick some samples from your libraries see what we can come up with (all use the same samples). Then I was thinking would this forum be better off being merged with the DJ forum. Don't know how active it is though. Thoughts?

Just thinking there Lads, besides this thread this forum is completely dead. Any idea's on how to breath new life into the forum? There is 3 forum mods that I don't think I have heard a peep from since joining the forum not saying that's a bad thing mind you but it would be good to hear from them from time to time.

Was thinking we could all do a bit of a collab track or even a mix remix whatever you want to call it of a track. Pick some samples from your libraries see what we can come up with (all use the same samples). Then I was thinking would this forum be better off being merged with the DJ forum. Don't know how active it is though. Thoughts?

Definitely be up for a collab.

Regarding the forum, I think its just hidden away in the depths of Boards.ie and there's probably a lot of producers in Ireland who arn't aware of it. Was flirting with the idea of starting a separate discussion board but unsure how much traffic it would get?

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    Definitely be up for a collab.

Regarding the forum, I think its just hidden away in the depths of Boards.ie and there's probably a lot of producers in Ireland who arn't aware of it. Was flirting with the idea of starting a separate discussion board but unsure how much traffic it would get?

Yeah probably right. Come to think of it boards traffic has suffered in recent years not the same as it used to be with reddit getting more popular think a lot of people stopped using boards as much.

I was thinking more along the lines of a friendly competition. But I'd be always open for a collab also.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭neasyerac

Hey, have never posted here but always interested in the Post your Tracks songs. I'd definitely be interested in doing a sample remix friendly competition for the laugh.

This forum has definitely started to die over the last few years. Like waffles said it would be cool to hear from the mods or at least have more activity going on here. In general; the production advice I've gotten from producers on here and users who have more knowledge has helped me with learning the basics of production, studio gear, etc. from when I started a few years ago. I still come back here for feedback as much as I can because I know the feedback given here is legit compared to showing a few friends who of course will be like "yeah that's a banger m8". Sucks to see it as quiet as it is now.
    I'm down for a collab for fun but I don't think it would breath life in to the overall discussion. Another discussion I used to be involved in regularly used to have meet-ups for fighting games like street fighter, marvel vs capcom and all that good stuff which was awesome. Maybe we could all do the same? Meet up somewhere in a central venue and nerd out on production - bring ur laptops, sound cards and I dno, have fun.

• Advertisement

This forum has definitely started to die over the last few years. Like waffles said it would be cool to hear from the mods or at least have more activity going on here. In general; the production advice I've gotten from producers on here and users who have more knowledge has helped me with learning the basics of production, studio gear, etc. from when I started a few years ago. I still come back here for feedback as much as I can because I know the feedback given here is legit compared to showing a few friends who of course will be like "yeah that's a banger m8". Sucks to see it as quiet as it is now.
    I'm down for a collab for fun but I don't think it would breath life in to the overall discussion. Another discussion I used to be involved in regularly used to have meet-ups for fighting games like street fighter, marvel vs capcom and all that good stuff which was awesome. Maybe we could all do the same? Meet up somewhere in a central venue and nerd out on production - bring ur laptops, sound cards and I dno, have fun.

Yeah not a bad idea. Myself though I'm not so mobile the only laptop available to me is one with a processor that would struggle with making a beat! Probably get a beat out of it but full songs would crap it out.

Anyone use twitch? Do stream production on that the odd time. I mention it because I was playing with the idea a while back of collaboration through that or similar Skype whatever. Syncing audio would be an issue though 30 second delay on what the listener would hear.

**Sorry about the late reply didn't get a notification of new post for some reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

neasyerac wrote: »
    Hey, have never posted here but always interested in the Post your Tracks songs. I'd definitely be interested in doing a sample remix friendly competition for the laugh.

I would too. Little competitions are a good way to get back into producing full tracks upping skills.

I was on here a few months ago and I promised to post some re-masterings of tracks posted here. I had down loaded them, done some eq-balancing with Pink noise. ....I came home drunk one night...my keyboard was leaning against the wall, I tapped in such a way that it slid across the floor, and smashed the screen of my laptop....I still haven't fixed the screen yet...but the mixes were on it. That and my general tardiness.

I was going to post them using this https://melosity.com/ it's a company in Dublin. It's a collaboration tool ...I've looked at it...but haven't used it. I think it would useful for doing stuff.

I would too. Little competitions are a good way to get back into producing full tracks upping skills.

I was on here a few months ago and I promised to post some re-masterings of tracks posted here. I had down loaded them, done some eq-balancing with Pink noise. ....I came home drunk one night...my keyboard was leaning against the wall, I tapped in such a way that it slid across the floor, and smashed the screen of my laptop....I still haven't fixed the screen yet...but the mixes were on it. That and my general tardiness.

I was going to post them using this https://melosity.com/ it's a company in Dublin. It's a collaboration tool ...I've looked at it...but haven't used it. I think it would useful for doing stuff.

How does that melosity work do you know? can't seem to find much about it with making an account.

Does the laptop have a vga connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Apologies in advance, I know some people are going to hate me for this lol. Something new I started working on today, my version of a U2 classic :)

https://soundcloud.com/dj-taranis-1/wrwou-dj-taranis

Nightmare. I once punched the bed in anger after a goal in fifa and the laptop was underneath, smashed the screen. Had no tunes on it though.

Would be up for this, collabs/competitions also.

Going travelling in a couple of months (to spend 6 or so months in the sun making tunes) but when I get back I had intentions of possibly starting a label and doing a few nights also.

edit I don't know why that wink face is there or how to get rid of it.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Apologies in advance, I know some people are going to hate me for this lol. Something new I started working on today, my version of a U2 classic :)

No Comment.... :D

I think it would work better if you played the melody in a more traditional way rather than the stab notes

I'd take some low end off the stabs, bass gets a bit lost in there. Hats could do with some more volume/high end I think. Throwing in a clap or snare somewhere would give it more groove if that's what your into.

Personally I'd slow it down a few bpm and give the bass a little variation for more groove, and make the melody a little less stabby on the ears as mordeith said, but that's down to musical preference.

• Advertisement

Have been using Ableton for the past few weeks and Have been trying a couple of plug-ins Ozone 7 and pro q2. Not finished with this track yet there's a couple of things I have to tweak a little more (convolution reverb Just noticing the level on the mp3) but its a better mix than the previous crap I got feedback on.

Not sure if that low end on the bass could do with some reduction can't decide. Have to tame the mids I thinks.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-golden/subject-to-change-master-1

Advertisement