Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Something new I'm currently working on:

https://soundcloud.com/dj-taranis-1/s3-wip-dj-taranis

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Something new I'm currently working on:

Really nice vibes! Diggin the melody. Kick stands out to much in the mix though. Nice layering. Nice tune overall. You could try panning your percussion to a fixed left or right so it doesn't get covered by everything else going on. Solid mate! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Something new and original from myself, it's been a while.
    https://soundcloud.com/sleepsound2/closure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Something new and original from myself, it's been a while.
    https://soundcloud.com/sleepsound2/closure

This is seriously refreshing, do you make your artwork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

byrneg28 wrote: »
    This is seriously refreshing, do you make your artwork?

Thanks! No my friend Jay does them, you can check out his work here http://thisisnojay.tumblr.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

Techno Techno Techno Techno (Fixed)
    https://soundcloud.com/conanbrophy/detour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

The feedback effect is way too loud imo maybe some specific multiband compression or eq'ing could straighten it out. Kick way too low also just waiting for the kick to start the track all the way through. Other than that very nice!

The feedback effect is way too loud imo maybe some specific multiband compression or eq'ing could straighten it out. Kick way too low also just waiting for the kick to start the track all the way through. Other than that very nice!

Made some changes. Cheers.

Much better. But I think too little feedback effect now :) slightly more than currently but less than previous would be the just right sweet spot I think. The feedback effect added interest but was just too piercing. The problem you probably ran into with the kick yourself is sharing the same frequency with the low end of the synth. Perhaps a tuned up/pitched up kick might fit better. There is a lot of low energy on the kick but no mid or high on it might be nice to add a click to the kick or layer it with something that has those highs.

Noticing also there is low mid on the snare, not sure if it was there before or if I'm just hearing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Nice tune there. The reverb could probably do with being dialed back a nudge alright as per ILikeWaffles. I think the groove of the track would benefit from a 16th note closed hi-hat sitting low in the mix. Also is there a pre-delay on the snare cos it sounds like it's hitting ever so slightly late? Could be just the sample needs to be tightened up a bit attack wise.

The reverb is a spring with a tape delay and I like it like that so I'm keeping it loud. The snare is also shifted late as I like it there too. It's got a groove that I like, almost an off beat without an off beat. I hear you on the 16ths but I tried it and it loses something when the 16ths are on there. Like it's so cluttered that you miss the delays in the reverb or there's just too much syncopation going on. There's a subtle increase in the tape delays as the track goes on so the later it gets the more muddled those 16ths sound.
    As for the kick, it's a straight 909 without any roll off so you should be hearing the top end of it. I'm hearing the mids and highs here on the monitors. Gonna give it a couple of days and come back to it. See if I might make any more changes or not. Cheers for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

new one from me, retro synth again. its been a while.

https://soundcloud.com/ravenh0lm/only-memories-remain

Ravenholm wrote: »

I think you almost have a crossover here. Unmistakable retro bassline but that main melody could easily be transferred to a more modern and if you'll forgive the term 'EDM' type track. Lovely programming on the snare. I'm listening on a new pair of headphones so haven't had a chance to reference them yet so my opinion that there seems to be a lack in the higher, brighter frequencies is to be taken a big pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

mordeith wrote: »
    I think you almost have a crossover here. Unmistakable retro bassline but that main melody could easily be transferred to a more modern and if you'll forgive the term 'EDM' type track. Lovely programming on the snare. I'm listening on a new pair of headphones so haven't had a chance to reference them yet so my opinion that there seems to be a lack in the higher, brighter frequencies is to be taken a big pinch of salt.

thanks Mordeith. You're right about the crossover thing. I've listened to so much trance and synthwave now, its impossible for them not to influence my tracks. Always trancy pads with retro basslines :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Reminds me of New Jackson or something, awesome track!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

new one from me, retro synth again.  its been a while.

Cool track, really like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 adamkeane1

Good track man! nice retro vibe:)

Quick mix (work in progress) I done tonight on the new Maschine MK3 just using the inbuilt soundcard:

https://soundcloud.com/dj-taranis-1/starlight-lamour-toujours-dj-taranis-mix

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Quick mix (work in progress) I done tonight on the new Maschine MK3 just using the inbuilt soundcard:

https://soundcloud.com/dj-taranis-1/starlight-lamour-toujours-dj-taranis-mix

So what's the story there. Do you play all the parts on the Maschine via the pads?

• Advertisement

mordeith wrote: »
    So what's the story there. Do you play all the parts on the Maschine via the pads?
    Yes.

I have a keyboard but this time just done it all on the new Maschine to see how it performs. Only took round an hour to do, great piece of kit to work on.

Hi guys,

Looking to get a second opinion here.

So I've been quietly learning and experimenting away for a while now and finally got my first finished track together.
    Now, I am well aware it is almost (not just almost actually) certainly flawed in lots of ways, - but out of curiosity and I guess as a "kind" of mini celebration I sent it off for a mixdown/master, - cost 60 pounds(UK). Just to be clear, I don't have particularly high expectations, (garbage in/garbage out and all that)I'm in learning mode (though enjoying it a lot now).

Well the mixdown/master came back, and i am quite disappointed at the outcome to put it mildly. It seems completely weighted on the bottom end, - with no detail in the mids, or highs. The main theme of the track is the interplay between the percussion synths and stab sounds, even a touch chaotic - which seems to have been lost. I'm pretty sure I can hear some clicking artifacts as well.

I am trying to figure out (and asking for feedback) if it is "just me", - i can think of it being a case of 1 of the following:
    1/ The mixdown/master result is just poor, - plain and simple. ie. He didn't do a good job
    2/ It's just my ear and the mixdown/master sounds fine to everyone else, - and it is maybe just a different "interpretation".
    3/ My pre-mixdown was so messy and poorly arranged that he had to push back a bunch of stuff in the mix to get it usable - I wouldn't rule this out to be fair. I liked what I sent off, - though I could of course be completely deluded and it was pure sh1te that he tried to salvage as best he could. I much prefer my version but I could be deluded.

i'd like to hear an honest answer to #3 so please don't be shy - in a constructive way. I am just starting to enjoy music production so it would be a disappointment, but at the same time I know there is loads of room for improvement.

I am of course going to chat to him, - he is a nice guy to be fair. But, I would really like a second opinion if possible though, and I know from following this forum there are plenty of people here with a decent ear. I am just wondering also if he might have just fired it through a presets chain.
    If his mixdown/master is just "bad" I might just not waste my time and go elsewhere.

So here are links to 3 versions:
    1/ Pre mix down: I sent him the "dry" tracks separately, - but also sent this bounced version as a reference for what I had in mind
    Pre Mix Down Download

2/ The mixdown/master result from the mixing/mastering engineer
    Mixed/Mastered Version Download

3/ A master I just did in CloudBounce for comparison - I am not trying to start a debate on the good or bad of algorithmic/cloud mastering, - but this is much closer to what I expected ( I am aware cloudbounce will not do anything to salvage shonky production). I only did very quick EQing, reverb, limiting, conpression etc on this first.
    CloudBounce Mastered Download

Again, it may simply be a case that he has a different interpretation on what sounds good.
    Thanks guys for any opinions, sincerely appreciated.

Al

Also in relation to the above post ^^^ . Any advice on improving would be a big help :) Thanks. (Please refer to the last link in this case). I'm going for a nu-disco and deep house sound in general, - but not fixed on genres.

Hmm well. Just comparing the first 30 seconds of the pre master and master it has a decent amount of clarity in the highs mids and lows. The kick and hats are at decent levels and are pretty clear on the mastered. I will say the bass does seem to be muddying things up quite a lot doesn't really do much for the track. In fact when it is fading out at the break there seems to be a point where it sounds at the correct level i.e. around -15dB.

Out of the two versions the Master is the better version. But in all honesty the levels you got back should have been there for the mix you sent out. I'd chalk it up and try to use the Master as a reference and do another mix trying to get the pre master to those levels barring the bass.

If you got stems of the masterer then it would help tremendously in referencing/comparing each parts.

It's a decent track though the drums work really well lots of interesting bits. Just the bass imo needs taming. On artefacts I did not notice anything off the bat, where are you hearing them?

Thanks @iLikeWaffles for your feedback, much appreciated. Do you find the bass needs taming in the 3 versions?

Just to be clear - do you mean you think #2 is the best of the 3 versions to your ears? #2 is the one I sent to the guy, that i don't care for, I think the bass is too muddy and could have been shaped much better, and the synth drums are miles back - it is very different to the pre-master and #3 IMO

#3 is pretty much closest to the result that I intended and hoped for, - though i would have like more width. To my mind the bass is much more under control in #3 than #2, - but I would have liked the "human" touch.

I can easily push the bass back in the mix a bit myself, listening to it now it is a bit loud.

Re. the artifacts, - just listening back there now and it might just have been my cpu or something

ravendude wrote: »
    Thanks @iLikeWaffles for your feedback, much appreciated. Do you find the bass needs taming in the 3 versions?

Just to be clear - do you mean you think #2 is the best of the 3 versions to your ears? #2 is the one I sent to the guy, that i don't care for, I think the bass is too muddy and could have been shaped much better

#3 is pretty much closest to the result that I intended and hoped for, - though i would have like more width. To my mind the bass is much more under control in #3 than #2, - but I would have liked the "human" touch.

I can easily push the bass back in the mix a bit myself, listening to it now it is a bit loud

You got #2 from the guy?

Hmm well. Just comparing the first 30 seconds of the pre master and master it has a decent amount of clarity in the highs mids and lows. The kick and hats are at decent levels and are pretty clear on the mastered. I will say the bass does seem to be muddying things up quite a lot doesn't really do much for the track. In fact when it is fading out at the break there seems to be a point where it sounds at the correct level i.e. around -15dB.

Out of the two versions the Master is the better version. But in all honesty the levels you got back should have been there for the mix you sent out. I'd chalk it up and try to use the Master as a reference and do another mix trying to get the pre master to those levels barring the bass.

If you got stems of the masterer then it would help tremendously in referencing/comparing each parts.

It's a decent track though the drums work really well lots of interesting bits. Just the bass imo needs taming. On artefacts I did not notice anything off the bat, where are you hearing them?
    You got #2 from the guy?

Correct. #2 is what I paid 60 quid sterling for, sent him 10 tracks to mix down and master,
    I paid $4.99 for number 3

#1 is my pre mixdown, - just me mixing it enough so I can hear it during production
    #2 is from the guy, - 60 pounds for mixdown and master - the one I am unhappy with - I can't seem to hear the drums etc, at all (jesus, unless my hearing is damaged :| )
    #3 is cheap cloud master for $4.99 - I could improve on a bit I think if I spent more time mixing and threw on some Puigtec etc,

Correct. #2 is what I paid 60 quid sterling for, sent him 10 tracks to mix down and master,
    I paid $4.99 for number 3

#1 is my pre mixdown, - just me mixing it enough so I can hear it during production
    #2 is from the guy, - 60 pounds for mixdown and master - the one I am unhappy with - I can't seem to hear the drums etc, at all (jesus, unless my hearing is damaged :| )
    #3 is cheap cloud master for $4.99 - I could improve on a bit I think if I spent more time mixing and threw on some Puigtec etc,

I can hear the drums okay in #2 but the bass is masking them. Loudest perceivable sounds is the bass!

I can hear the drums okay in #2 but the bass is masking them. Loudest perceivable sounds is the bass!

Probably figure of speech on my part, I can hear them alright but the bass seems to swamp everything imo on #2

• Advertisement

Probably figure of speech on my part, I can hear them alright but the bass seems to swamp everything imo on #2

I agree it may be fine at a lower volume though!

Advertisement