Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tommolloy

Check mine out, esp. my new Killers remix ;)Tom Molloy @ SoundCloud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

That's good advise Sean. Denis was my inspiration (WoodsDenis).

I definitely will have another go but I think I'll need to do a lot more critical listening first.

Good man for giving it a bash. I tried this myself last year with one of our tracks. (I wish I'd had Denis's success!)

I don't really know a lot about dance music (well aside from Leftfield, Massive Attack & Faithless) so can't comment on genres/specifics.

Sounds to me like a decent enough foundation for a dance track. It def needs kick & snare to drive it along. Prob a lot more percussive elements too. It does need something to build up / separate the different sections. Also, since you play guitar, I wouldn’t be afraid to use it - plenty of great dance acts use heavily processed guitars too.

Nice work - keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Good man for giving it a bash. I tried this myself last year with one of our tracks. (I wish I'd had Denis's success!)

I don't really know a lot about dance music (well aside from Leftfield, Massive Attack & Faithless) so can't comment on genres/specifics.

Sounds to me like a decent enough foundation for a dance track. It def needs kick & snare to drive it along. Prob a lot more percussive elements too. It does need something to build up / separate the different sections. Also, since you play guitar, I wouldn’t be afraid to use it - plenty of great dance acts use heavily processed guitars too.

Nice work - keep it up!

Cheers Yoda, I think it might be a failed experiment but I hadn't thought of using guitar over this. Now there's an idea.

Have you had a chance to look at the other thing for me?

Rock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I've just had a go at the dance thing. Just to see how i'd get on.

Have a listen and give me some pointers or is it a hopeless cause?

Thanks

http://soundcloud.com/rockshamrover

See if you can guess which one it is:D

You make it sound like; "I've just had a go at the gay thing...just to see how I'd get on"

And I'm not apologising for that one. For indie heads to dabble in "dance" is as extreme for them as having gay sex to see what it's like.

krd wrote: »
    You make it sound like; "I've just had a go at the gay thing...just to see how I'd get on"

And I'm not apologising for that one. For indie heads to dabble in "dance" is as extreme for them as having gay sex to see what it's like.

Yeah, it's a big big step moving from one style of music you're semi comfy in to music you've only ever listened to.

It would probably be the same as trying to go from Jazz to Indian music or whatever genres you care to mention.

Don't know if I'll try the gay thing though, but I was watching Bruno last night and........

Apologies if my original post caused offense.

Rock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

bit harsh no?

seannash wrote: »
    bit harsh no?

Y'know something Sean... I kind of made that joke to wind you up.

But, at the same time, where's that Sean Nash sample pack, you kind of promised?

And the Sean Nash clinic day that might be nice.

Sean...I'm in noob hell...which is worse than being gay. Do you disagree?

Joking aside Sean, I have the greatest respect in the world for you. And I am just joking. A little help to get me out of noob hell would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Cheers Yoda, I think it might be a failed experiment but I hadn't thought of using guitar over this. Now there's an idea.

Have you had a chance to look at the other thing for me?

Rock.

I dropped you a mail on it last week - I'm just waiting for you to email me that mp3 so I can get stuck in

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    I dropped you a mail on it last week - I'm just waiting for you to email me that mp3 so I can get stuck in

Hmm Gremlins in the works,

I posted it off last week, it might be stuck in your Spam folder or something.
    Let me know and I can send it again.

Cheers Yoda

Rock.

DarkJager wrote: »
    New track fresh off the mix. Any feedback is appreciated lads!

http://soundcloud.com/cloud-10/u4ea-ft-dj-stratos-starz

You have way too much echo on your pianos at the start and end. And then not enough echo when your synths come in. For your pianos you should just really try get a little reverb right. You don't need very much. Never have the echo or reverb riding higher than the original sound.

Your drums sound crap - for the kind of music you're doing you should use Roland 909 samples and only try anything bassy as an after thought. But with kind of music; less is more. (my kind of music - but try telling me)

The floor is open for anyone to disagree with me,as this is an open forum - and no one gets any better at what they do by having smoke blown up their arses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Y'know something Sean... I kind of made that joke to wind you up.

But, at the same time, where's that Sean Nash sample pack, you kind of promised?

And the Sean Nash clinic day that might be nice.

Sean...I'm in noob hell...which is worse than being gay. Do you disagree?

Joking aside Sean, I have the greatest respect in the world for you. And I am just joking. A little help to get me out of noob hell would be greatly appreciated
    ha
    i wouldnt consider you a noob.

about the pack.my latop is till in for repair as im waiting for apple to post out my black discs so i can reinstall my os and then reinstall logic and get the project file back up and running.

ill definetly post it up once its done.

cant say i ever agreed to a clinic day though,especially me being out of the country when that idea was going about:D.

but if you want a little 1 to 1 gimme a pm and ill gladly help you over skype or aim,ive dont that with a few people and its going alright

Put together a 7 track E.P of some of my tunes. Any feedback is much appreciated.

http://soundcloud.com/cloud-10/sets/u4ea-e-p-2010

I've listened again, I've changed my mind about the kick - but I still think I'm right about everything else.

You've emulated the DJ pushing up the track in the middle to get that distorted sound on the kick. That's what they do in Barcode?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I have remixed an RSAG track. I spent about an hour trying to get links to it on soundcloud working and it just would not play ball so it's on my myspace.

Would appreciate feedback y'all.

www.myspace.com/vforce

I have no idea what is up with soundcloud. I had tracks embedded in my website from it no bothers, then when it came to this one the whole thing just stopped working... I deleted some tracks and when I logged out they re-appeared, only to dissapear again when I logged back in.

It's like a reverse private track or something! Weird....

Anyway listen to that tune and tell me what y'all think please and thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

I'll pop my boards cherry with this little number. It's not much but it's a start. Any comments appreciated.

http://soundcloud.com/free-the-fumes/agave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

You have way too much echo on your pianos at the start and end. And then not enough echo when your synths come in. For your pianos you should just really try get a little reverb right. You don't need very much. Never have the echo or reverb riding higher than the original sound.

Your drums sound crap - for the kind of music you're doing you should use Roland 909 samples and only try anything bassy as an after thought. But with kind of music; less is more. (my kind of music - but try telling me)

The floor is open for anyone to disagree with me,as this is an open forum - and no one gets any better at what they do by having smoke blown up their arses.

I'm not the best producer in the world, I don't claim to be and I'm not looking for slaps on the back off anyone, simply "constructive" criticism on the music I'm making. As for less is more...that's not my taste.

Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word "crap" describing your drums. I'm no shakes at getting my drums sounding right (or anything else)

Your piece reminded me of a CD (which I've lost and can't remember who it was by - it was a DJ/Producers promo album) I used to listen to a lot. Very very similar to what you're doing. But a lot slicker; In plenty of reverbs and echos on the pianos but none of the echos would every be that over powering. The pianos would sound grander. The drums cleaner.

There's a lot to be said for "less is more". You've only got so much space - If you get the idea you'd like to add something else but you've no room to put it, without stripping everything else back; you're in trouble. Also if everything is there right in your face on the first listen, it doesn't become more pleasurable the more you hear it.

Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word "crap" describing your drums. I'm no shakes at getting my drums sounding right (or anything else)

Your piece reminded me of a CD (which I've lost and can't remember who it was by - it was a DJ/Producers promo album) I used to listen to a lot. Very very similar to what you're doing. But a lot slicker; In plenty of reverbs and echos on the pianos but none of the echos would every be that over powering. The pianos would sound grander. The drums cleaner.

There's a lot to be said for "less is more". You've only got so much space - If you get the idea you'd like to add something else but you've no room to put it, without stripping everything else back; you're in trouble. Also if everything is there right in your face on the first listen, it doesn't become more pleasurable the more you hear it.

Sorry for being snappy, was a bit stressed when I posted that. I've actually taken the track down for the moment as it was a bad version I had up (basically there were 2 exports done, one totally overworked with EQ's and presets (the one posted) and another which has about a minute missing off it). I have taken your feedback on board and I'm currently working through the track sorting stuff out. After a few listens I'm not sure it really fits my vibe (its a collab) but will keep working on it.

Again, sorry if I came across a bit bastardish in my reply. No offence meant.

I've just had a go at the dance thing. Just to see how i'd get on.

Have a listen and give me some pointers or is it a hopeless cause?

Thanks

http://soundcloud.com/rockshamrover

See if you can guess which one it is:D

Ok folks, glutton for punishment that I am, I've had another go at this thing and my ass is killing me (KRD:D)

Anyway, please have a listen and let me know if I'm going in the right direction

Ta

Rockshamrover

Ok folks, glutton for punishment that I am, I've had another go at this thing and my ass is killing me (KRD:D)

Anyway, please have a listen and let me know if I'm going in the right direction

Ta

Rockshamrover

Rockshamrover gets a bronze star on his copy book - for a better effort.

Rockshamrover - you have graduated from total Noob - to IDM producer (that's Intelligent Dance Music - the dance music no one can dance to. It's the kind of stuff made by people who can play a little piano and know something about music. And think that because they can play a Bflat suspended minor they're somehow superior)

The real art in good dance music is to have an emotional flow through the whole piece. There a lot of tricks and techniques but they all come down to the same thing, of giving the music an emotional flow; not technicality, not virtuosity, not things people are consciously aware of. Rockshamrover, the clever bits you've done in your other music - would you be able to bury them, and let people discover them by accident or do you want them completely in peoples faces - so on the first listen they hear the melody and after that there's nothing else for them there.

The great thing about good dance music - or any good music; the good stuff rides just beneath the surface - so you don't know it .... you feel it.

It's like sex; the pleasure is not from knowing you have your penis in someone else, it's feeling it.

Rockshamrover, concentrate on trying to make decent electronic dance music. When you get back to you're other stuff you'll have found your skills have greatly improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Rockshamrover - you have graduated from total Noob - to IDM producer (that's Intelligent Dance Music - the dance music no one can dance to. It's the kind of stuff made by people who can play a little piano and know something about music. And think that because they can play a Bflat suspended minor they're somehow superior)

The real art in good dance music is to have an emotional flow through the whole piece. There a lot of tricks and techniques but they all come down to the same thing, of giving the music an emotional flow; not technicality, not virtuosity, not things people are consciously aware of. Rockshamrover, the clever bits you've done in your other music - would you be able to bury them, and let people discover them by accident or do you want them completely in peoples faces - so on the first listen they hear the melody and after that there's nothing else for them there.

The great thing about good dance music - or any good music; the good stuff rides just beneath the surface - so you don't know it .... you feel it.

It's like sex; the pleasure is not from knowing you have your penis in someone else, it's feeling it.

Rockshamrover, concentrate on trying to make decent electronic dance music. When you get back to you're other stuff you'll have found your skills have greatly improved.

LOL

• Advertisement

Unusual chord progressions (not necessarily a bad thing) and I felt the track didn't 'hang together' as one entity with an intro and conclusion, but rather rambled a bit, feeling its way along towards the end (again, not necessarily a bad thing - depends what you're going for). Someone on there commented that you should try a pop song. Well those chords and that structure is not radio friendly, pop songs are highly simplistic and formulaic in comparison.

I liked some of the instruments you had in there alright but the drums didn't tickle my fancy at all at all, both in rhythm and sonically.

What you'll probably realise, Rocksham, is how opinions and a$$holes are intertwined as a concept, and indeed everyone has one (especially, i have often found, in anonymous online fora where some people who will never amount to anything musically like to offer harsh, unconstructive criticism because it makes them feel better about being so uncreative and lame themselves) so take everything you get as feedback on board, but don't necessarily take it to heart. The people who give it might know even less than you.

Take all feedback (including this) with a pinch of salt, at the end of the day you need to forge your own sound, and you won't do that without experimenting a bit.

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, A bronze star is more than I could have hoped for.

Cheers.

Unusual chord progressions (not necessarily a bad thing) and I felt the track didn't 'hang together' as one entity with an intro and conclusion, but rather rambled a bit, feeling its way along towards the end (again, not necessarily a bad thing - depends what you're going for). Someone on there commented that you should try a pop song. Well those chords and that structure is not radio friendly, pop songs are highly simplistic and formulaic in comparison.

I liked some of the instruments you had in there alright but the drums didn't tickle my fancy at all at all, both in rhythm and sonically.

What you'll probably realise, Rocksham, is how opinions and a$$holes are intertwined as a concept, and indeed everyone has one (especially, i have often found, in anonymous online fora where some people who will never amount to anything musically like to offer harsh, unconstructive criticism because it makes them feel better about being so uncreative and lame themselves) so take everything you get as feedback on board, but don't necessarily take it to heart. The people who give it might know even less than you.

Take all feedback (including this) with a pinch of salt, at the end of the day you need to forge your own sound, and you won't do that without experimenting a bit.

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say anyway.

Thanks for listening KF, I do appreciate your comments. It's a lot better than being ignored I suppose:D

It's not easy to "show your penis" as KRD might say, but sometimes that's what you have to do to move forward.

For every step back there are two steps forward, It's a bit like line dancing.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭steloide

Hi everyone, I have made a few tunes at home from my laptop and would like to get some feed back from people that are NOT friends and family. Also if there is anyone that can direct me or has a contact that can direct me. There is a remix of Little Dragons, My Steps. Check them out c what u think all feed back is wecome.
    Thanks for your time!!

http://soundcloud.com/stefan-carroll

http://www.youtube.com/user/stefancarroll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

steloide wrote: »
    Check them out all feed back is welcome

http://soundcloud.com/stefan-carroll

Some nice tunes on there steloide. Really like Dreamer.

Hey lads,

Just finished a new track titled "Koyo". Very different from my usual stuff so any suggestions on what genre to class it as would be much appreciated as is any feedback on the track itself. Have a listen and let me know what ye think! Cheers.

http://soundcloud.com/cloud-10/koyo

Mmm.. Koyo is warm and Balearic sounding. I like it a lot.

I think the drums are lifeless and if you eliminated them altogether it would improve the track. But don't do that. Just EQ them well and fatten them up a bit and put a bit of thought into the beat itself, and add in some nice fills with toms in them and stuff and you'll be laughin.

That A sharp end note at the end of each measure is nice and quirky but to provide a more satisfying listen it probably needs to be resolved to A natural every 4 bars maybe with a different rhythm to it.

These thoughts are but mine own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Hey lads,

Just finished a new track titled "Koyo". Very different from my usual stuff so any suggestions on what genre to class it as would be much appreciated as is any feedback on the track itself. Have a listen and let me know what ye think! Cheers.

http://soundcloud.com/cloud-10/koyo

lovely tune there!!

i'd class it as "funky french house" :D

http://soundcloud.com/the-noobian-prince/the-noobian-prince-a-noob-in-detroit

It's a from cutting up an improv from my MC 505 using the 909 Drum Kit - on a single bar loop.

I made a really clutzy mistake recording it - managing to catch a lot of noise. Maybe the noise makes it sound more authentic. Some of the Claps sound better for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

http://soundcloud.com/the-noobian-prince/the-noobian-prince-a-noob-in-detroit

It's a from cutting up an improv from my MC 505 using the 909 Drum Kit - on a single bar loop.

I made a really clutzy mistake recording it - managing to catch a lot of noise. Maybe the noise makes it sound more authentic. Some of the Claps sound better for it.

hey man, that link ain't working for me. maybe a typo somewhere?

Advertisement