Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

DarkJager wrote: »
    New track from me, another trance track. This one is called Defibrillator. Any feedback much appreciated as always ;)

http://soundcloud.com/cloud-10/defibrillator

really like this track, just one thing i found was at approx 1.20-1.50 in the tune you have a little roll of something. i just found them a bit high in the mix. maybe i would reduce eq highs a bit on them or lower volume of them a little in the mix. really nice track though

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blindasfcuk

Story guys. Ive been DJin around dublin for that last few months and Ive decided I really want to get into the production side of things as well. Id appreciate it if I can get some feedback and any advice on my first track

http://soundcloud.com/blindasfcuk/brian-sextom-the-donkey-punch

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 QuestionmarQ

Track Form The Vault Number 2

Here is the next one from me its my remix fo Kaan Duzarat's Organic Intelectual.It was thought to be too techy for the label so wasnt released.
    Anyway download and share away
    http://soundcloud.com/questionmarq/kaan-duzarat-organic-intelectual-questionmarq-remix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

red dave wrote: »
    hey man,

yeah i prefer this one to the other one. i'd put some reverb the sample to give it more life or something and maybe some flangue during the track. when listening, the sample (for me anyways, at the start) sounds a bit separate from the track. the cut in the sample is a bit sudden. (maybe that's intended) a few effects on it and it would bring it more together (i think).

Yeah, I'd agree with Dave here. The sample is cut off too soon and sounds very clipped. I think a couple of sweeps or something might help it gel together a bit better, it seems a tiny bit disjointed at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Story guys. Ive been DJin around dublin for that last few months and Ive decided I really want to get into the production side of things as well. Id appreciate it if I can get some feedback and any advice on my first track

Cheers

Hi b, some nice up ideas in there but I think when a breakdown is that long it needs a bit more tension in it. Also I think the drums probably need to be a bit more dynamic throughout to propel the song on a bit. Also I think there needs to be something else in behind the bass after the breakdown to make a tiny bit more interesting. Nice start though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Cheers

Your basslines need a little more bounce to them. You can do that by just changing the notes slightly here and there - change their volume slightly And every so often change one of the notes or do something with one of the synth effects - to make it sound like the bass is changing slightly.

The bounce or the groove is much more important than what chords you use or even if the stuff is in tune. Tech House is not trance - it's more about stabs and grooves.

You copied the structure off another track? - That's not a bad idea - that's a good idea in fact - thing though; A two minute break down is very very ambitious for your first track.

With your DJ'ing you should figure out stuff pretty quickly.

Listen to some of your favourite records - then carefully steal every idea you like. Even steal the ideas you don't like.

I'm really a complete noob at this but I keep learning and realising things.

Careful of any advice you get from anyone - it's mostly rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

how's things

hoping i can get some feedback on these tracks off ye lads, give em a listen if ye get a chance and let me know (prefebally with a good pair of headphones ;))

all tips, pointers, criticisms are welcome!!

cheers

http://soundcloud.com/cloudysound/sets

btw im not a bot...1st post n all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Cheers for previous feedback, here's the revised (heavily) version:-

http://soundcloud.com/wtfrofl/the-ghostlands
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

gas, you're one of the lads who made one of the all time classic trance tunes

some big guns on the remixes too - i had, well i still have the vinyls of the kaycee remix on positivia and the pvd remix on the vorsprung dyk technik album

fair play

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Cheers for previous feedback, here's the revised (heavily) version:-

http://soundcloud.com/wtfrofl/the-ghostlands
    :)

It's radically different from the last version. I really like parts of it - the main percussive arpeggio. The overall arrangement doesn't work.

I'm not going to advise you on an arrangement - because it's one of the many things I don't know how to do yet. But I think you could probably structure it so you have fake outs, teasers and distractions, and then a single run at the main melody and then out - all in the 7 minutes.

Some other points

1. Your Hi-hats sound great - but they sound too much like hi-hats. Same with the cymbal crashes. The fashion is of the moment - that hi's, cymbals, and stuff shouldn't sound like hi's cymbals and stuff. They should should be more like like crude electronic sounds.

2. Something similar for your kicks and snare. White noise snares and claps are in. Bigger kicks are in too. I like that kick you have very near the end.

The other thing about usings noises instead of snares, claps, hi's - the sounds can sound like their talking - it can sound like a distorted human voice chanting.

This also applies to basslines - I don't know the science of it. But if you get it just right - with echo, effect, groove, etc .. possibly dirt, it can sound like a human voice chanting something in the baseline. Or even a little side chain on a noise sweep can make sound like there's a voice in the noise saying something.

With real hi-hat, snare sounds etc - your brain is too good at distinguishing the sounds, so you don't hear the voices. Make them a little artificial and noisey, you start hearing the voices.

Yes....Electronic music is about making people feel paranoid and thinking they're receiving secret messages from intergalatic multi-dimensional aliens.

There are possibly millions of people out there, who believe God made a very personal and direct communication to them one night they were at some club - or listening to music wrecked at a friends gaff.

Some of them think it was the DJ - it wasn't the fffking DJ.

When you make your music you have to think: This is the bit where they think the drummachine is alive and talking to them, this is the bit they think aliens are talking to them, and their really paranoid because they think they're only ones hearing them --- and then this is the bit where they think God talking directly to them. The hackneyed angely voices in trance sound like real angels to some people. That's what they think heaven really sounds like - and they feel like they're being carried off by angels - when it's just preset B098 on one of my things here.

• Advertisement

Here's my latest disaster.

http://soundcloud.com/the-noobian-prince/the-noobian-prince-theres-a-noob-kid-in-town-muddy-rough-sex-mix

It has a lot of problems, I might advise someone else against - but it's not like I know how fix these things.

There's actually really good bits in there - I'm really proud of some of my sample manipulation.

I'm not proud of the hi-hats :( - I'm really not proud of the drums.

I would have liked to a minimal version with very clean drums and a slinky groove to it - but I don't know how to do that :(

That's why I'm here - I need help :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭dasdog

Somewhat demented but that's probably how music should be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

krd wrote: »
    It's radically different from the last version. I really like parts of it - the main percussive arpeggio. The overall arrangement doesn't work.

I'm not going to advise you on an arrangement - because it's one of the many things I don't know how to do yet. But I think you could probably structure it so you have fake outs, teasers and distractions, and then a single run at the main melody and then out - all in the 7 minutes.

Some other points

1. Your Hi-hats sound great - but they sound too much like hi-hats. Same with the cymbal crashes. The fashion is of the moment - that hi's, cymbals, and stuff shouldn't sound like hi's cymbals and stuff. They should should be more like like crude electronic sounds.

2. Something similar for your kicks and snare. White noise snares and claps are in. Bigger kicks are in too. I like that kick you have very near the end.

The other thing about usings noises instead of snares, claps, hi's - the sounds can sound like their talking - it can sound like a distorted human voice chanting.

This also applies to basslines - I don't know the science of it. But if you get it just right - with echo, effect, groove, etc .. possibly dirt, it can sound like a human voice chanting something in the baseline. Or even a little side chain on a noise sweep can make sound like there's a voice in the noise saying something.

With real hi-hat, snare sounds etc - your brain is too good at distinguishing the sounds, so you don't hear the voices. Make them a little artificial and noisey, you start hearing the voices.

Yes....Electronic music is about making people feel paranoid and thinking they're receiving secret messages from intergalatic multi-dimensional aliens.

There are possibly millions of people out there, who believe God made a very personal and direct communication to them one night they were at some club - or listening to music wrecked at a friends gaff.

Some of them think it was the DJ - it wasn't the fffking DJ.

When you make your music you have to think: This is the bit where they think the drummachine is alive and talking to them, this is the bit they think aliens are talking to them, and their really paranoid because they think they're only ones hearing them --- and then this is the bit where they think God talking directly to them. The hackneyed angely voices in trance sound like real angels to some people. That's what they think heaven really sounds like - and they feel like they're being carried off by angels - when it's just preset B098 on one of my things here.

Cheers for that ;)

This track will be played next to 'retro' trance, so the drums and stuff are going to be pretty bland lol, but it's in stuarts hands next - so he'll probably mess with some of that.

The 'voices' thing you're on about - really should write the book on this lol.

Resonance figures a lot, phasers, flangers, formant filters, auto-filters and wah-wahs can be used to emulate the word shaping for projection.

BUT, a 303 with a bit of dirt works just as well. If i remember correctly it's something to do with the 303s ability to sound very close to a human voice in some ways.

Have to agree with everything you've put there about the listeners projection onto the sound - give yourself an extra special gold star and prepare to be abducted shortly for your implant upgrades.

Serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Hi guys, i'm new to the production scene and have only just started making my first track...

this is my first attempt so go easy on me ;) .. any tips will be much appreciated...

Using reason 4 and still getting to grips with it... its class...

Here is an unfinished version i hope to have it complete by next week but im heading away for a bit so i might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

appreciate some input on this tune ... I have the feeling that tis a wee bit of a strange one !!!

not too sure where to go with it at all atall

comments criticism beatings re sound, arrangement, mix whatever most welcome

http://soundcloud.com/ronan-marr/turty-demo

ta

ro

edit: just had a listen there on SC and i think the loudifier might fooked it up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Hi folks,

Some of you may know Mary from Soundcloud. She very kindly sang on one of our songs.

Check it out if you get a chance.

Thanks

Danceshamrover

http://soundcloud.com/rockshamrover

Hi folks,

Some of you may know Mary from Soundcloud. She very kindly sang on one of our songs.

Thanks

Danceshamrover

That "Golden" colab song is excellent. Love the piano and that girl Mary's voice is top top stuff. Really well done lads very enjoyable listen.

romarr wrote: »
    appreciate some input on this tune ... I have the feeling that tis a wee bit of a strange one !!!

not too sure where to go with it at all atall

comments criticism beatings re sound, arrangement, mix whatever most welcome

http://soundcloud.com/ronan-marr/turty-demo

ta

ro

edit: just had a listen there on SC and i think the loudifier might fooked it up a bit

very nice quirky little track there.

just one suggestion i'd make would be try some cymbals or crashes to come in maybe around 2.12 mark. it feels like it's just waiting for something to bring the energy up a little notch and i think some cymbals might help it a bit.
    overall i really like it.

That "Golden" colab song is excellent. Love the piano and that girl Mary's voice is top top stuff. Really well done lads very enjoyable listen.

Cheers Dave,

Yeah she's a cross between Bjork and Kate Bush with a Finish accent:D

Very nice.

Cheers Dave,

Yeah she's a cross between Bjork and Kate Bush with a Finish accent:D

Very nice.

With a tincey bit of Roisin Murphy in the mix :p

• Advertisement

With a tincey bit of Roisin Murphy in the mix :p

True:D

Hi folks,

Thanks

Danceshamrover

Yeah, she has a very interesting voice - I've listened to her stuff before.

The Wrong way sounds very slick too.

Yeah, she has a very interesting voice - I've listened to her stuff before.

The Wrong way sounds very slick too.

She has indeed.

Cheers KRD

Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

Korvanica wrote: »
    Hi guys, i'm new to the production scene and have only just started making my first track...

this is my first attempt so go easy on me ;) .. any tips will be much appreciated...

Here is an unfinished version i hope to have it complete by next week but im heading away for a bit so i might not.

not bad for a first effort,

off the top of my head ...reckon you need a deeper kick with much more presence.

0.24 -0.55 some of the delays sound like they're clashing

the sparse bits are too sparse for my liking - a couple more layers would help

the riff gets a bit repetitive ...

copy the structure from a track you really like and take note of where and how it builds etc. that will help

keep at it chap ! this whole production thing gets very very addictive ... be prepared !

Korvanica wrote: »

You need to work on your percussion - you can change the volume levels - to give the rides and accent and a groove - same with the high hats - on a fast run you change the volume running up or down.

You could also use some echos and reverbs -- echos on highs; good. Echos on basses; bad - there are ways to split the signal. I don't know how to do that on Reason. I'm sure it can be done.

I like your bass playing. Make up lots of different basslines now - and when you figure out how to fix things you'll have plenty of tunes to work from.

And then - you can teach me how to do it.

http://soundcloud.com/the-noobian-prince/the-noobian-prince-theres-a-noob-kid-in-town-dance-hipster-dance-mix

A remix of the last track I posted. Different drums, bass, lots of different stuff. Different tempo.

I'm planning (makes me sound together and organised). I'm planning to do another remix during the week. Where I try to get different energies in there.

I wanted a boing boing deep kick - I don't have one - Instead I have something that sounds like the cock of Thor hammering a wooden nail. (it comes in at around 2 min)

Any comments would be very welcome - As I really have no idea what I am doing.

She has indeed.

Cheers KRD

Rock.

Not a criticism. But you should listen back to your stuff on a ****ty laptop - the rich bass sounds vanish. And there's no hint of the bass rhythm left. I think there is a science to it - and I do not know that science - should you figure it out: Tell me.

Laptop speakers are actually really good for telling what's happening in the Mid Tones - just listening to your Danze Again - it's seriously clipping on my laptop. I listened it to it early on speakers and you (I) don't notice the clipping but can hear it on the laptop - and tough sh1t, next to the I-****e - the crappy laptop speakers are the most popular medium for listening to music.

Mary's got a great voice - it's a lot like Bjork early 80s stuff - before she learned to speak in English.

The Finish accent is really great - Tell her to keep it - even make it thicker and sharper -

http://soundcloud.com/the-noobian-prince/the-noobian-prince-theres-a-noob-kid-in-town-dance-hipster-dance-mix

A remix of the last track I posted. Different drums, bass, lots of different stuff. Different tempo.

I'm planning (makes me sound together and organised). I'm planning to do another remix during the week. Where I try to get different energies in there.

I wanted a boing boing deep kick - I don't have one - Instead I have something that sounds like the cock of Thor hammering a wooden nail. (it comes in at around 2 min)

Any comments would be very welcome - As I really have no idea what I am doing.

hey krd,

as i've mentioned before i don't know technacalities about music. i'd class myself in the bracket of "what's a chord?" and just go by ear when making or listening to tracks.

from my own point of view i really don't like either of these tracks. i really like some of your other tracks but would be at a complete polar opposite on these last ones you've put together.

i find the voice samples are way too repetitive, loud and annoying. the bass line is not something i'm keen on either. i just don't like them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Hey guys,

been a while since i posted anything up here

http://soundcloud.com/dubryder/dump-valve-higher-education

another 2-step number from myself and dan

watch out of the bass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

i find the voice samples are way too repetitive, loud and annoying. the bass line is not something i'm keen on either. i just don't like them at all.

gotta agree with dave here man

Advertisement