Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

romarr wrote: »
    appreciate some input on this tune ... I have the feeling that tis a wee bit of a strange one !!!

not too sure where to go with it at all atall

comments criticism beatings re sound, arrangement, mix whatever most welcome

http://soundcloud.com/ronan-marr/turty-demo

ta

ro

edit: just had a listen there on SC and i think the loudifier might fooked it up a bit

Cool and spooky track. Your productions have really come along ronan, only criticism is the arrangement isnt really friendly if a dj wanted to play it out, which can hold you back a bit. Otherwise keep up the great work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Just finished another track there. It's a bootleg remix of Inner City - Good Life. Only thing I actually sampled from the track is a small bit of the vocals, and the rest was 'reconstructed' I suppose. New synth lines imitating the original song, not sampling them.

I've love some feedback on it.

http://soundcloud.com/frankiegrimes/inner-city-bootleg-mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

krd wrote: »
    Not a criticism. But you should listen back to your stuff on a ****ty laptop - the rich bass sounds vanish. And there's no hint of the bass rhythm left. I think there is a science to it - and I do not know that science - should you figure it out: Tell me.

Laptop speakers are actually really good for telling what's happening in the Mid Tones - just listening to your Danze Again - it's seriously clipping on my laptop. I listened it to it early on speakers and you (I) don't notice the clipping but can hear it on the laptop - and tough sh1t, next to the I-****e - the crappy laptop speakers are the most popular medium for listening to music.

Mary's got a great voice - it's a lot like Bjork early 80s stuff - before she learned to speak in English.

The Finish accent is really great - Tell her to keep it - even make it thicker and sharper -

Hey KRD,

Thanks for listening and commenting. I'm in the same boat as yourself when it comes to mixing stuff. I don't have top of the range monitors and I'm doing all my mixing in a dining room, no treatment at all.

I'm happy if I can get the stuff to sound half decent on my M audio cheapo monitors:D

I would definitely love to have all those shiny new things that PB sells but I don't have no money:(

Mary is a class act alright. She somehow found that song on soundcloud and asked us could she sing on it. So 5 milliseconds later, we said yes.

Defo love her accent:)

Cheers

Rock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

red dave wrote: »
    hey krd,

as i've mentioned before i don't know technacalities about music. i'd class myself in the bracket of "what's a chord?" and just go by ear when making or listening to tracks.

from my own point of view i really don't like either of these tracks. i really like some of your other tracks but would be at a complete polar opposite on these last ones you've put together.

I find the voice samples are way too repetitive, loud and annoying. the bass line is not something I'm keen on either. i just don't like them at all.

Thanks. The stuff is at polar opposites because I'm just using the Noobian Prince account for posting stuff to boards. I haven't got anywhere near perfecting my production skills yet - so that account is more or less disposable. When I go up a grade - hopefully sooner than later - I'll split it, so it's less confusing and stuff that matches will be put in together in different accounts - so it makes sense and fits.

So, when I get it down - the minimal account will sound like proper minimal and the tracks will play together a lot like a set. My Tech House account will sound like a Tech house set - and the other melodic stuff that isn't really dance will be in another account. Even I might do a "I knit my own Yoghurt" account for acoustic bed wetter ballads for another account.

At the minute - I'm really learning and experimenting. I'm not posting for attention, I'm seriously looking for all kinds of criticism - I can see/hear problems in my own stuff - but I hit a brick wall making it. Where I just run out of knowing what to do.

Thanks for your criticism - it helps me re-think the whole thing. I don't know what I'm going to do - I might try one or two more runs at the track - learn some new stuff, then junk it and move on............and move on to my next audio atrocity.

It's a production forum - you have noobs and not so noobs - If the Beatles posted here, someone would probably say "Y'know something. Ringo's timing is a little off on that track"

Do more tracks yourself - I've found I can learn more about my noob mistakes by listening to other noob tracks than by listening to my own noob boobs or polished pros tracks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Hey KRD,

Thanks for listening and commenting. I'm in the same boat as yourself when it comes to mixing stuff. I don't have top of the range monitors and I'm doing all my mixing in a dining room, no treatment at all.

I'm happy if I can get the stuff to sound half decent on my M audio cheapo monitors:D

I would definitely love to have all those shiny new things that PB sells but I don't have no money:(

Mary is a class act alright. She somehow found that song on soundcloud and asked us could she sing on it. So 5 milliseconds later, we said yes.

Defo love her accent:)

Cheers

Rock.

I have Alesis M1 active monitors - but I've never plugged them in.

Currently all my monitoring is done on cheap speakers and laptop speakers. All the stereo stuff is much clearer on laptop speakers than big speakers - the tone is absolutely crap and it really hides stuff. I have to work out a process - you can go nuts tweaking stuff and get nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

krd wrote: »
    I have Alesis M1 active monitors - but I've never plugged them in.

Currently all my monitoring is done on cheap speakers and laptop speakers. All the stereo stuff is much clearer on laptop speakers than big speakers - the tone is absolutely crap and it really hides stuff. I have to work out a process - you can go nuts tweaking stuff and get nowhere.

I suppose all anyone can do is keep plugging away in the hope that things steadily improve.

It's a bit like evolution, it's the happy accidents that move you forward.

For every step back there's hopefully two forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

this is a shameless repost of my link, as i know its now in the midst of the thread abyss...

if you're still reading, its just that im genuinely dying to here some neutral, straight, no bullcrap opinions

as in, your mates will always tell you the meal you made is nice even if it tastes like catfood...as an example like :D

tho thats not sayin everyone i play my stuff to likes it either!!! far from it, there are some that do think its mostly catfood

anyway hope some of ye will to listen to some of my attempts and let me know, as i intend to do the same with ye

cheers

http://soundcloud.com/cloudysound

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

this is a shameless repost of my link, as i know its now in the midst of the thread abyss...

if you're still reading, its just that im genuinely dying to here some neutral, straight, no bullcrap opinions

as in, your mates will always tell you the meal you made is nice even if it tastes like catfood...as an example like :D

tho thats not sayin everyone i play my stuff to likes it either!!! far from it, there are some that do think its mostly catfood

anyway hope some of ye will to listen to some of my attempts and let me know, as i intend to do the same with ye

cheers

people who offer feedback get feedback.

in other words start commenting on people tracks,get invloved with the forum and maybe people will think your gonna hang around and not just a one off poster looking for praise on a tune.

im not saying you are any of these but you need to offer feedback in order to recieve it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

cheers

Abrupt is a nice track, moves along nicely and has some nice sounding percussion to it.

Love Padded, its chilled and the melody has a nice kind of night vibe to it. Again, the percussion is spot on and moves things along at a dreamy pace. The synths from about 2 mins onwards are well placed and compliment it nicely. Nice track.

Smokeless has a nice dark sound to it. Piano is quite nice in this one as well and it starts kicking in a funky vibe at about 1:49. Another nice track.

Some decent stuff there man, very chilled out and sounds well put together and mixed.

double post

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    people who offer feedback get feedback.

in other words start commenting on people tracks,get invloved with the forum and maybe people will think your gonna hang around and not just a one off poster looking for praise on a tune.

im not saying you are any of these but you need to offer feedback in order to recieve it

"people who offer feedback get feedback."

"but you need to offer feedback in order to recieve it"

"anyway hope some of ye will to listen to some of my attempts and let me know, as i intend to do the same with ye"

im not looking for praise

and im not just a one off poster, ive been gettin involved for the short time ive signed up

and i couldn't be arsed goin on about it

"people who offer feedback get feedback."

"but you need to offer feedback in order to recieve it"

"anyway hope some of ye will to listen to some of my attempts and let me know, as i intend to do the same with ye"

im not looking for praise

and im not just a one off poster, ive been gettin involved for the short time ive signed up

and i couldn't be arsed goin on about it
    dude i wasnt having a go i was simply saying that this is how it works around here.

generally people who ask for feedback listen to other peoples tracks and offer feedback aswell.you originally posted the track about a week ago which gave you plenty of time to listen and offer feedback on others tracks

you reposted because you didnt get any feedback and i told you a possible reason as to why.

my intentions should have been clear when i said
    im not saying you are any of these

anyway,eh welcome:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Tiny little snippet of a thing I've started messing around with. Found an interesting sample, some South African gospel type singers. Just quickly threw some drums behind it and put it a synth just to see whether I should make it major or minor, because with the sample it could be either really, they don't have many 3rds. Let me know what you think I should do with it.

You can stream this, don't have to download anything.
    http://www10.zippyshare.com/v/82738365/file.html

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Tiny little snippet of a thing I've started messing around with. Found an interesting sample, some South African gospel type singers. Just quickly threw some drums behind it and put it a synth just to see whether I should make it major or minor, because with the sample it could be either really, they don't have many 3rds. Let me know what you think I should do with it.

You can stream this, don't have to download anything.
    http://www10.zippyshare.com/v/82738365/file.html

The gospel song is definitely in a major key, your minor chords are clashing with their singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Please remember that real solid advice usually comes with collaborations/producers, very few people would commit time unless involved heavily in a project - this goes for everybody, not just yourself of course.

If you want really solid advice, then collab/partner up and beat each other senseless with kippers until you're happy. You'll only get a small piece of peoples time here in reality terms.

For a little example, i'd got involved with friends doing a pop project and the music was class - and i put heart and soul into it, many, many hours of pure honest input and research. Then they go smoke it away in a druggy stupor and nothing gets done with the end result.

So, you can see why people would be wary to let rip (though it does happen occasionally on here).

Timed notes with exact terminology and solutions are rare as they take a lot of time.

If you want to put a 'wanted collab/partner' in main part of the Dance Music forum, feel free - many do that.

Hope that clears things up a little!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

SteveDon wrote: »
    Hey guys,

been a while since i posted anything up here

http://soundcloud.com/dubryder/dump-valve-higher-education

another 2-step number from myself and dan

watch out of the bass!

I really think there's some nice stuff going on here. Nice dubby vibe to it. There is just one thing that niggled at me. There is a drum hit that is to the right that goes through most of the song - nearly sounds like a muted snare that I found really distracting. It kept on catching my attention and taking my focus off what was going on with the track. Rest of it sounds pretty boss though.

splitrmx wrote: »
    The gospel song is definitely in a major key, your minor chords are clashing with their singing.

I's agree with that. Don't think the two are gelling together.

romarr wrote: »
    appreciate some input on this tune ... I have the feeling that tis a wee bit of a strange one !!!

not too sure where to go with it at all atall

comments criticism beatings re sound, arrangement, mix whatever most welcome

http://soundcloud.com/ronan-marr/turty-demo

ta

ro

edit: just had a listen there on SC and i think the loudifier might fooked it up a bit

Really unusual stuff going on there that works really well together. I'd agree with red dave though about bring some cymbals or something around the 2.12 mark to ramp it up.

Korvanica wrote: »
    Hi guys, i'm new to the production scene and have only just started making my first track...

this is my first attempt so go easy on me ;) .. any tips will be much appreciated...

Using reason 4 and still getting to grips with it... its class...

Here is an unfinished version i hope to have it complete by next week but im heading away for a bit so i might not.

Hi K, had a listen to it. Nice first attempt but I think the ronan was pretty spot on with his advice. I think you need to bring in some pads to stop it feeling so sparse and you need to give the listener a break from the main bass riff as well. It gets a wee bit relentless and claustrophobic after a while. A breather of a minute or two would help give it a bit more power when it kicks back in.

cheers

I only got to listen to abrupt there but it definitely needs a bit more bit the stabs should really stand out but they're very subdued and a think you need to make more of the breakdown. It kind of goes by without any really impact. Hope this advice helps.

• Advertisement

dude i wasnt having a go i was simply saying that this is how it works around here.

generally people who ask for feedback listen to other peoples tracks and offer feedback aswell.you originally posted the track about a week ago which gave you plenty of time to listen and offer feedback on others tracks

you reposted because you didnt get any feedback and i told you a possible reason as to why.

my intentions should have been clear when i said

anyway,eh welcome:rolleyes:

i dont wanna go on but if in a post you clearly say you intend on giving feedback
    and the first reply you get is basically "you should give feedback to get it" and then "maybe people will think your gonna hang around and not just a one off poster looking for praise on a tune."

a post like that, to me, seemed to be coming from a more negative angle than a helpful one tbh, even with the added "im not saying any of this" disclaimer

but anyway, eh cheers for the warm welcome.
    eyes to heaven smiley n all, sound

no point in getting into it

good luck with your productions dude

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Please remember that real solid advice usually comes with collaborations/producers, very few people would commit time unless involved heavily in a project - this goes for everybody, not just yourself of course.

You'll only get a small piece of peoples time here in reality terms.

So, you can see why people would be wary to let rip (though it does happen occasionally on here).

Timed notes with exact terminology and solutions are rare as they take a lot of time.

If you want to put a 'wanted collab/partner' in main part of the Dance Music forum, feel free - many do that.

Hope that clears things up a little!

yeah cheers, i know what you're getting at

tbh im not really looking for a detailed diagnosis of my stuff or anything like that....just quick honest general opinions of any of the tracks i make is all

on the collab thing, one of my mates is into making real hardstyle stuff....so it couldn't happen with us, tho we have made a few crappy mess arounds

but yeah that was kinda my original point, when he plays me a tune of his and i think its ****, ill still be like mmm, thats pretty cool etc.
    and im pretty sure he does the same with me
    and that goes for most around you irl, so that's why ive been throwing stuff up on the interwebs

but i hear ya, people "commiting the time" to listen seems to be the main factor....and yeah im definetely as guilty of this as anyone

and yeah, i suppose on the internet people still wont be like "****in hell what's that pile of ****e you're after making, sell your gear" either

but yeah just general views is all i was really looking for, as thats probably all ill give myself

I only got to listen to abrupt there but it definitely needs a bit more bit the stabs should really stand out but they're very subdued and a think you need to make more of the breakdown. It kind of goes by without any really impact. Hope this advice helps.

well noticed :D

what it is, is that i made the tune a good while back but dont have the cubase and reason file anymore....i didn't like the second half of the tune at all, so its literally a cut of the first bit of the tune added to the middle again...it was a wavelab job on my non music pc

but i agree, it does kind of just drudge on

cheers for listening

DarkJager wrote: »
    Abrupt is a nice track, moves along nicely and has some nice sounding percussion to it.

Love Padded, its chilled and the melody has a nice kind of night vibe to it. Again, the percussion is spot on and moves things along at a dreamy pace. The synths from about 2 mins onwards are well placed and compliment it nicely. Nice track.

Smokeless has a nice dark sound to it. Piano is quite nice in this one as well and it starts kicking in a funky vibe at about 1:49. Another nice track.

Some decent stuff there man, very chilled out and sounds well put together and mixed.

thanks for listenin, glad you enjoyed some of it :D
    the comments are well appreciated!!

i intend to be checking all ye're stuff out

no point in getting into it

good luck with your productions dude

yeah man i didn't come on here to argue with people

if i got the wrong end of the stick then fair enough, i just seen your post from a different perspective

android 666, that love the city track is great

the melody has got a nice floaty sound to it, and im a sucker for spoken word samples...really cool track

the only possible criticism i could give is the crash/explosion? sound that comes in when the beat kicks in around the 2.42 and 4.20 mark, the distortion just sounded a bit too rough in the mix to my ears

nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

splitrmx wrote: »

that is one excellent track there...

...actually you seem to have a quite a few excellent acid tracks altogether

wow

• Advertisement

red dave wrote: »
    that is one excellent track there...
    Thanks, I'm using a small analogue mixing desk to mix everything and then I just record the stereo output into Logic so am still working on making the kicks, bass etc all balance out. (it's tricky when you don't have total recall and can't save slider positions!)

All the effects are outboard too, and there's no compression used anywhere. I normalised the sound file in Logic at the end though.

Advertisement