Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

splitrmx wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm using a small analogue mixing desk to mix everything and then I just record the stereo output into Logic so am still working on making the kicks, bass etc all balance out. (it's tricky when you don't have total recall and can't save slider positions!)

All the effects are outboard too, and there's no compression used anywhere. I normalised the sound file in Logic at the end though.

That's interesting. You're doing it more or less live?

What are you using for hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

krd wrote: »
    That's interesting. You're doing it more or less live?

What are you using for hardware?
    Yes, all the fades, synth tweaking, effects changes are live.

In that track I used a TR808, SH101, Roland System 101, Pro One, Evans tape echo, Vermona spring reverb, MKS80 and some modular stuff.

Yes, all the fades, synth tweaking, effects changes are live.

In that track I used a TR808, SH101, Roland System 101, Pro One, Evans tape echo, Vermona spring reverb, MKS80 and some modular stuff.

do you have a sampler?

I think your track is just shy of some hits/cymbals at transition points. Different samplers are very different from each other. There's Roland SPs on the second hand market, that can be picked up pretty cheaply, that can store phrases that you could probably work out a way of triggering so the hits come out in time.

I have Roland Groove boxes - they're not hooked up together. The hardware has a lot of draw backs. Though ultimately there's something more creative about the stuff. Integrating it with a DAW is a real pain.

Do you have the Keytar model of the SH-101?

That would look so cool performing or on a youtube video.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭synesthesia

I love the SH101 so much !!!

Nice track !

But i don't agree that it is a pain to integrate DAW and hardware i got multiple grooveboxes over the years; and i must say i am currently using ableton, as well as a few pieces of hardware with Din SYNC, midi, CV gate and even OSC, and i'm quite happy with it.

I love the SH101 so much !!!

Nice track !

But i don't agree that it is a pain to integrate DAW and hardware i got multiple grooveboxes over the years; and i must say i am currently using ableton, as well as a few pieces of hardware with Din SYNC, midi, CV gate and even OSC, and i'm quite happy with it.

That's good for you. I've got my DAW on a laptop. There are numerous problems, I can't resolve.

But I'll work with what I have, for the moment.

I have Ableton - but one of the major drawbacks I've had, is not being able to get it to handle SYSEX. Although I'm really learning how to use Ableton now - had I been able to manage SYSEX - Most things Ableton does, I would have been able to do through SYSEX on a groovebox and possibly have had an easier time of it. The grooveboxes are very powerful - but to get at many of the controls you really need to able to handle SYSEX. My MC-505 - doesn't have side chain compression, but I know if I could easily port back and forward to a DAW, I could build tracks and patterns in it's memory that did have the effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

android 666, that love the city track is great

the melody has got a nice floaty sound to it, and im a sucker for spoken word samples...really cool track

the only possible criticism i could give is the crash/explosion? sound that comes in when the beat kicks in around the 2.42 and 4.20 mark, the distortion just sounded a bit too rough in the mix to my ears

nice one

Cheers for listening. I'll be doing another mix in a couple of weeks to try resolve a couple of issues but yeah, you're right about the crash is probably a bit rough.

Great tune. Left a comment on sc. Really enjoyed it.

Alright lads and ,em, lads (I think) after having an ear infection for the last week I've managed to rupture my left eardrum this evening so I won't be actively posting here for the next month or two (I'll try and take the piss on a couple of the other forums) but I'll leave you with this tune which was about 90% finished:

http://soundcloud.com/android-78/brian-dennehy

Unfortunately I won't be able to comment on any thing people put up for the next while on account of the auld ear resting so sorry about that...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazyatom

Alright lads and ,em, lads (I think) after having an ear infection for the last week I've managed to rupture my left eardrum this evening so I won't be actively posting here for the next month or two

ouch. ouch. ouch... that doesn't sound good dude. an ear infection is painful enough without going on and puncturing the damned thing. i hope you make a full recovery.

brian dennehy is a great track. (great title as well... love that guy!). nice uplifting vibe from the melody and some cool slow sweeps and breakdowns. a couple of the background sounds might be a little bit tinny (or plastic) compared to the main tune. second half is an interesting variation. lots going on. some of the sudden swoosh/crashes don't really seem to work. i think it might be that the drum patterns are a little bit repetitive and you introduced the 'crashes' to shake things up.

again, my only other crit would be with the way some of the sounds sit.

anyway, get better soon. as the waterboys say, 'with a bang on the ear...'

lazyatom wrote: »
    ouch. ouch. ouch... that doesn't sound good dude. an ear infection is painful enough without going on and puncturing the damned thing. i hope you make a full recovery.

brian dennehy is a great track. (great title as well... love that guy!). nice uplifting vibe from the melody and some cool slow sweeps and breakdowns. a couple of the background sounds might be a little bit tinny (or plastic) compared to the main tune. second half is an interesting variation. lots going on. some of the sudden swoosh/crashes don't really seem to work. i think it might be that the drum patterns are a little bit repetitive and you introduced the 'crashes' to shake things up.

again, my only other crit would be with the way some of the sounds sit.

anyway, get better soon. as the waterboys say, 'with a bang on the ear...'

It's a total pain in the ass :(. I was going to rework some of the crashes on it and I had been working a bit more with getting things to sit a bit better in the mix (still not there I know) and there was a couple of other issues/niggles I wanted to sort out on the track but seeing as I won't really be able to do anything for the next month or so on it I figured I just throw it up as is. Cheers for listening as always.

• Advertisement

never heard the original so i don't know how much work has gone into the remix but crosses is fantastic. beautiful atmosphere and perfectly attenuated rhythms interlacing Gonzalez' voice and guitar.

padded is top class. as DarkJager commented earlier it's moves nicely, has a great feel and that delicate melody that comes in at the end is spot on. for some reason the last bit, at 2.18, really resonates with me. reminds me of some jazz/funk track that used to be on the radio years ago, something like 'gimme the night' by george benson... :)

LCohen is a solid, solid tune.

nice work overall. stuff sounds well thought out.

It's a total pain in the ass :(.

woah... where the f•ck is your head then?

:)

lazyatom wrote: »
    woah... where the f•ck is your head then?

:)

Oh, you hadn't heard about my condition?

real-life-butt-head.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Would love some advice on this before I finish this. Bit of a collaboration between a mate of mine and I, he sent over some stuff he'd done, wanting me to produce it, so I'm in the middle of it. I really liked his synth sounds so I kept them, and put in a bassline and drums.

Let me know what you think. Yet to be properly EQd and compressed on each channel, and still have to put effects into the arrangement.

http://www8.zippyshare.com/v/52263105/file.html

Would love some advice on this before I finish this. Bit of a collaboration between a mate of mine and I, he sent over some stuff he'd done, wanting me to produce it, so I'm in the middle of it. I really liked his synth sounds so I kept them, and put in a bassline and drums.

Let me know what you think. Yet to be properly EQd and compressed on each channel, and still have to put effects into the arrangement.

http://www8.zippyshare.com/v/52263105/file.html

You could put a little variation in on the bell line. Just an extra note here and there - nothing really to change the melody - pulling a single note down a semi tone. Or on a bar you could hit the first note twice. Even drop a note.

You could do something similar to the string line. Alter it a little with automation. Have one phrase where a note is different. Throw in a tiny string run somewhere.

The voice you could do something with too. Make changes to the tone at places - a little glitching would be good. A little auto-tune type note run here or there. You could also use a little side chain compression on the vocal in places - you don't need extreme side chaining, just a little will make it sound a little more bouncy.

I didn't here the bass line - I was listening on my laptop speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

krd wrote: »
    You could put a little variation in on the bell line. Just an extra note here and there - nothing really to change the melody - pulling a single note down a semi tone. Or on a bar you could hit the first note twice. Even drop a note.

You could do something similar to the string line. Alter it a little with automation. Have one phrase where a note is different. Throw in a tiny string run somewhere.

The voice you could do something with too. Make changes to the tone at places - a little glitching would be good. A little auto-tune type note run here or there. You could also use a little side chain compression on the vocal in places - you don't need extreme side chaining, just a little will make it sound a little more bouncy.

I didn't here the bass line - I was listening on my laptop speakers.

Cheers for the input. I got the synth lines in audio files, so I can't do a while lot with them, although I might actually go back and mess around with them every few bars or whatever, like you said.

As I said, I haven't done any compression, so I probably will sidechain some bits to make it less stale.

Thanks, I'll be back when it's nearer to finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I've written for Splitrmx as he makes me feel like a sad panda.

http://soundcloud.com/wtfrofl/trial-of-error

It's a purists piece, used the best, cleanest atoms i could find - apparently these are vintage atoms and have been around a few billion years.

;) JOKE btw, it's borked, very.

And thanks to whoever said stuff about 'voices' and stuff...

Leftfield, brain not function right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭dasdog

Neurojazz wrote: »
    I've written for Splitrmx as he makes me feel like a sad panda.

It's a purists piece, used the best, cleanest atoms i could find - apparently these are vintage atoms and have been around a few billion years.

;) JOKE btw, it's borked, very.

And thanks to whoever said stuff about 'voices' and stuff...

Leftfield, brain not function right.

Wow. Serious depth in the synths. It's like hearing Eat Static again for the first time.

It's a purists piece, used the best, cleanest atoms i could find
    Trance isn't my thing but I like the fuzzy bit at the start. Obviously you've got all the production bits mastered, right amount of bass, kick, things panned properly etc. Is that all software?

Trance isn't my thing but I like the fuzzy bit at the start. Obviously you've got all the production bits mastered, right amount of bass, kick, things panned properly etc. Is that all software?

It's all digital, but for an experiment i used stephen hawkings chairs voice to drive Impulse through some plugins to stretch/twist/destroy the voice into things completely different (so all those weird squiggly noises are all stephens chair) - and just remove everything in the break to show them a little.

Got to say. I used to be hardware only, then one day my friends (good ones they were) turned up with an ST ;) - then after Reason basically stopped people from using their hardware unless rich enough to use rewire through cubase and such I'd moved into software totally about 10 years ago - don't think i could go back to that malarkey - so good luck with it, it's a different beast for sure and yields a different return musically :) - i used to be able to burn techno CDs live as hard disk recording was in it's infancy at the time - so know how fast things can flow when it's all set up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

It's all digital, but for an experiment i used stephen hawkings chairs voice to drive Impulse through some plugins to stretch/twist/destroy the voice into things completely different (so all those weird squiggly noises are all stephens chair) - and just remove everything in the break to show them a little.

Got to say. I used to be hardware only, then one day my friends (good ones they were) turned up with an ST ;) - then after Reason basically stopped people from using their hardware unless rich enough to use rewire through cubase and such I'd moved into software totally about 10 years ago - don't think i could go back to that malarkey - so good luck with it, it's a different beast for sure and yields a different return musically :) - i used to be able to burn techno CDs live as hard disk recording was in it's infancy at the time - so know how fast things can flow when it's all set up.

stopped people from using their hardware, really, thats interesting, nobody uses hardware anymore then, what rubbish, all the top artists(one hit wonders not included) are all using hardware, afx, vibert, squarpusher, kraftwerk, prodigy even Hawtin is going back to release a plastikman album and bringing his hardware on the road, Plaid recently played live with all hardware, Autechre, the list goes on, rubbish statement, i like your track but the fact is if you used analogue gear and tried to recreate, if you could, it would sound a whole lot better, theres no warmth!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

empirix wrote: »
    stopped people from using their hardware, really, thats interesting, nobody uses hardware anymore then, what rubbish, all the top artists(one hit wonders not included) are all using hardware, afx, vibert, squarpusher, kraftwerk, prodigy even Hawtin is going back to release a plastikman album and bringing his hardware on the road, Plaid recently played live with all hardware, Autechre, the list goes on, rubbish statement, i like your track but the fact is if you used analogue gear and tried to recreate, if you could, it would sound a whole lot better, theres no warmth!

Not to turn the thread into a hardware/software argument, but your wrong to say that.

for starters the reason they are top artists is not because they use hardware, its because of what they do with it and the music ideas in their head aswell as how long they have been around.

2nd, his track is trance , why you rubbing it up against big name idm and electronic producers ? no comparison there, and nearly all the artists you named are going back over 2 decades ago,

and aphex twin, vibert, squarpusher and kraftwerk all use an apple mac running live when playing live, and suarepuser made his last album using all software on a laptop, and there was no difference in his material compared to his older material.

and this thing with there being "no warmth" this is pure bull****, im sorry but it is, when someone makes something in software and its missing "warmth" then maybe they need to learn and use their plugins better, saying you cant achieve warmth in a track because its not hardware is stupid. i could press one key on a nord lead and record it, and then make the exact same sound using software and record it and play both back to you and wouldn't be able to tell the difference at all.

back on topic :

@ nero : nice track

@ Android 666 : nice tunes , but i miss you older stuff.

Another VST v Analogue post - yippeee!!!

Too warm! Too cold! Too mildly temperate! Too archaic! Too modern! Too sterile! Too hands on! Too hands off! Too unituitive! Too techy! Too awkward! Too easy! Too bland! Too rough! Too repetitive! Too unpredictable!

Please use any of the above when using the sentences:

I find that VSTs are…
    or
    I find using hardware is…

depending on which side of the fence you prefer to sit. Throw in the words gear, synthesis, resonance, compression and practicality.

Also use the phrases:
    You are simply unable to do (insert term here eg. good compression) with a (vst/analogue synth - delete as appropriate) because they are… (use one of the selection of phrases from the top.

It also helps your argument look good if you have a little anecdote to throw in (I bought a moog in 1973 from a gay Welsh farmer called Bedwyr, who smelt of elderberries, and ever since…)

Or you could ask yourself does it really matter at the end of the day what way the music was made?

@ Android 666 : nice tunes , but i miss you older stuff.

Ah cheers for that. I didn't think people like them too much so it's nice to hear someone liked some of them. I was just doing a big clear out and was going to try and do better mixes of some of the stronger ones and post them back up but I won't be doing anything now for the next month or two (bloody eardrum! - literally).

Split, apart from you missing that the track is an Mp3, how many records/mp3 have you sold using purely analogues? - also failed to spot the mp3 isn't dithered.

I'm asking this so that you cite from actual experience, not from others (first hand experience being validated of course.)

A lot of acts take hardware live so that are not just stood there with just a laptop (not all of them though!)

Split, apart from you missing that the track is an Mp3, how many records/mp3 have you sold using purely analogues? - also failed to spot the mp3 isn't dithered.

I'm asking this so that you cite from actual experience, not from others (first hand experience being validated of course.)

A lot of acts take hardware live so that are not just stood there with just a laptop (not all of them though!)

It was actually empirix not splitrmx.

It was actually empirix not splitrmx.

ah right, sorry then ;)

Just to point out, that Reason shut off the ability to record in hardware - was a big fuss on their forums at the time - so unless you had a rewire cradle (or cracks) then you couldn't use hardware in any normal manner with that great piece of software - not taken literally that *everyone* stopped using hardware.

ah right, sorry then ;)
    It's the x that makes us look like twins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Can someone please put up a track for us to listen to? :p

Advertisement