Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

red dave wrote: »
    Can someone please put up a track for us to listen to? :p

Feel free to comment more on this:

http://www8.zippyshare.com/v/52263105/file.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Neurojazz wrote: »
    I've written for Splitrmx as he makes me feel like a sad panda.

http://soundcloud.com/wtfrofl/trial-of-error

It's a purists piece, used the best, cleanest atoms i could find - apparently these are vintage atoms and have been around a few billion years.

;) JOKE btw, it's borked, very.

And thanks to whoever said stuff about 'voices' and stuff...

Leftfield, brain not function right.

I really like it. It has some real head bending sounds in there. And it has that thing in there that you find in really good music - that when you listen to it again you hear different things.

The voices thing is great -- it was me who brought it up - I'd like to open a thread on it. I won't go into it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Feel free to comment more on this:

http://www8.zippyshare.com/v/52263105/file.html

yeah i'd agree with krd's comments and a bit of variation of the bells

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Something I did back at the start of the year, don't think I ever posted it on here though. Just something to listen to if nothing else ;)

http://soundcloud.com/cloud-10/u4ea-4am

I was tempted to Rick Roll you.

I won't. There's such a thing as taking a joke too far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

DarkJager wrote: »
    Something I did back at the start of the year, don't think I ever posted it on here though. Just something to listen to if nothing else ;)

http://soundcloud.com/cloud-10/u4ea-4am

good stuff, nice little tune

was actually listening to that defibrillator track earlier, great tune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

good stuff, nice little tune

was actually listening to that defibrillator track earlier, great tune

Cheers man! :) Yeah I'm quite happy with how Defibrillator turned out, closest I've got to a proper trance sound yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

and aphex twin, vibert, squarpusher and kraftwerk all use an apple mac running live when playing live, and suarepuser made his last album using all software on a laptop, and there was no difference in his material compared to his older material.

and this thing with there being "no warmth" this is pure bull****, im sorry but it is, when someone makes something in software and its missing "warmth" then maybe they need to learn and use their plugins better, saying you cant achieve warmth in a track because its not hardware is stupid. i could press one key on a nord lead and record it, and then make the exact same sound using software and record it and play both back to you and wouldn't be able to tell the difference at all.

back on topic :

@ nero : nice track

@ Android 666 : nice tunes , but i miss you older stuff.

yes i didn't mention them artists for playing live, im well aware they use laptops, squarepusher had a mixture of course, mainly for synths, as he was obviously using his bass and a live drummer too!

Squarepusher didn't use software, the most obvious being the bass guitar of course, naturally its all over his latest albums tracks, he did use reaktor though! along with sh-2, 101 etc ....words from his brothers mouth

if you can't hear the difference of "warmth" between an analogue and a vst, well then you ain't got the ear for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

empirix wrote: »
    if you can't hear the difference of "warmth" between an analogue and a vst, well then you ain't got the ear for it!!

Owned both hardware and digi - had both at same time and even huge analogue modulars left on for weeks etc.. - so know about the tone etc... and can say without a doubt that the difference is naught.

What the analogue people usually do is push the digi stuff so hard that the parameters go beyond what the analogues do and then hear it break/go random (or another typical gripe is the lfo instability)

So, in short - learn to use your plugins and you'd soon see / hear the difference.

I wasn't really sold myself until an engineer pulled up an sh-101 and sampled it - then got the reaktor 5 emulator up and compared the waveshapes - bingo, match.

I think also people are getting lost with what a musicians purpose is in society - the tools don't matter, it's what you do with them. I spend an inordinate amount of time working out the correct scope for the digi plugins to work correctly and not sound unstable (on most tracks anyway)

The bonus however with analogues, is that it's hands on jamming - but also a failing (unless you have friends) is that you only have one pair of hands.

I think reaktor 5 was out circa 2000, so that's how old and misinformed this argument is.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

ohh right, guess it must be all that tech house ive been listening to, or maybe a build up of ear wax ? or is it these cheap panasonic speakers out of argos?, or maybe i dont have my adam a7's hooked up properly... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ohh right, guess it must be all that tech house ive been listening to, or maybe a build up of ear wax ? or is it these cheap panasonic speakers out of argos?, or maybe i dont have my adam a7's hooked up properly... :rolleyes:

ahh i see, you need some decent gear, i recommend these, you'll need two though!
    http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/genelec-8050a-active-monitor--22486

There is a difference but hey i'm out of this debate, on the other hand i'm near to completing some tracks, i'll post em up, all analogue recorded into Logic, will let yee know!

all analogue recorded into Logic

DIGITAL audio workstation... i'd take that half seriously if you were talking about knocking all this down onto tape - but alas no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭dasdog

Robert Mugabe (1976). On krd's potenial thread but it's a little sloppy.

http://soundcloud.com/dasdog/cochrane

DIGITAL audio workstation... i'd take that half seriously if you were talking about knocking all this down onto tape - but alas no.

cmon, tape is not possible for me anyway, everything bar the daw, will be analogue, i did say instuments after all, it will still sound better whether the tracks are any good is another story:p

and just to be clear here, im not saying you can't make good music with vst's!

cmon, tape is not possible for me anyway, everything bar the daw, will be analogue, i did say instuments after all, it will still sound better whether the tracks are any good is another story:p

and just to be clear here, im not saying you can't make good music with vst's!

Have seen people dropping a line out to a tape machine for rendering certain tracks - i'd be looking at that if i had / money /time - the heads need a lot of maintenance etc... i think studiorat in main MP forum and a few others know about this.

Imagine pumping an MKS or Virus through that... that would be about the only thing worth hopping to outboard for personal pleasure ;) - most consumers are listening to mp3s so probably not worth the effort ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

I wasn't really sold myself until an engineer pulled up an sh-101 and sampled it - then got the reaktor 5 emulator up and compared the waveshapes - bingo, match.
    Have you got a link to that Reaktor SH101 emulator? I'd love to do a comparison myself. I've had a few lengthy nerd discussions with a producer friend who purely programs in Super Collider and he reckons that software has reached a stage where it can pretty much copy an analogue oscillator, but it's the filters that have yet to be modelled correctly.

Personally I've nothing against software, I started off producing using purely software before I could afford any hardware. I owned Reaktor since version 3, my PC at the time could barely handle it. Hope I'm not polluting the "post your music" thread!

splitrmx wrote: »
    Have you got a link to that Reaktor SH101 emulator? I'd love to do a comparison myself. I've had a few lengthy nerd discussions with a producer friend who purely programs in Super Collider and he reckons that software has reached a stage where it can pretty much copy an analogue oscillator, but it's the filters that have yet to be modelled correctly.

Personally I've nothing against software, I started off producing using purely software before I could afford any hardware. I owned Reaktor since version 3, my PC at the time could barely handle it. Hope I'm not polluting the "post your music" thread!

NI broke reaktor 5 and never fixed it - but there's a few sites about 3030 emulation and such also that have direct wave comparisions showing that some small developers are getting close and people like universal audio making some moog filters now for the uad card that would probably be very, very close.

reaktor 5 runs on in win98 pretty much and the sh was one of the presets.

I think myself sean and JT had a discussion about the 303 a while back and the one JT recommend (for logic i think) had the closest wave to wave match (and the ears would be hard pressed)

I use some uad stuff to add warmth, especially the roland dimension D - that helps a hell of a lot with some stuff that bites a little.

Or there's the jv80 demo - nab that from arturia and watch your cpu get eaten alive (but sounds nice)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Hi guys,

If you get a mo, have a listen to this track that I remixed. Let me know what you think.

http://soundcloud.com/rockshamrover/trifle-remix-not-really-rockshamrover

Cheers.

Rock

Hi guys,

If you get a mo, have a listen to this track that I remixed. Let me know what you think.

http://soundcloud.com/rockshamrover/trifle-remix-not-really-rockshamrover

Cheers.

Rock

It would sound great with a vocal over it. It has that 80s electro-goth thing to it. If you could get Mary from Mo and Mary to sing something over it in her Finish accent - it might sound really good.

I love the bass in it.

krd wrote: »
    It would sound great with a vocal over it. It has that 80s electro-goth thing to it. If you could get Mary from Mo and Mary to sing something over it in her Finish accent - it might sound really good.

I love the bass in it.

Cheers KRD,

The guy who did the original track is just 22 and very talented. Mo and Mary are up to their necks in work at the moment so no vox on this for now.

Rock.

• Advertisement

Cheers KRD,

The guy who did the original track is just 22 and very talented. Mo and Mary are up to their necks in work at the moment so no vox on this for now.

Rock.

Ask them if they'll lend you a few vocal stems. You might be able to cut up stuff to fit into it pretty easily.

Ask them if they'll lend you a few vocal stems. You might be able to cut up stuff to fit into it pretty easily.

Hmm, there's an idea.

It's not my song though so Sonique would have to be ok with that. I'll sat it to him.

Cheers.

Hmm, there's an idea.

It's not my song though so Sonique would have to be ok with that. I'll sat it to him.

Cheers.

Well, you could try it. The experiment may work or it may not work. You may be able to fit stem vocals over some of your own stuff. You may develop some skills to make vocals fit over stuff.

You even try some extreme Auto Tuning - The thing I really like about Mary's voice is that freaky Finish thing. The whole Fever Ray thing is largely the accent. The accent over some electronic music with some weird lyrics would be so very cool.

Well, you could try it. The experiment may work or it may not work. You may be able to fit stem vocals over some of your own stuff. You may develop some skills to make vocals fit over stuff.

You even try some extreme Auto Tuning - The thing I really like about Mary's voice is that freaky Finish thing. The whole Fever Ray thing is largely the accent. The accent over some electronic music with some weird lyrics would be so very cool.

We'll ask, the worst thing that can happen is she'll say no:)

Tech/Trance/Dirty/Shorter/Fun

http://soundcloud.com/wtfrofl/ich

Wife not happy at me being up this late lol ;)

It sounds really great.

The noise claps/snare/hi sound really great - it's really enjoyable to listen to.

A sultry woman's vocal drop in at the 3 min drop would sound fantastic.....but I guess you haven't been able to get your hands on Femme Fatale VST yet.

It has lots of great stuff in there

A vocal drop would be good. You should tell the wife "I'm nearly finished - just need a vocal drop - sing, a few bars into this mike and we can go to bed" - a vocal drop and we can all go to sleep.

My neighbour has just come round to tell me to turn the music down :(

It sounds really great.

The noise claps/snare/hi sound really great - it's really enjoyable to listen to.

A sultry woman's vocal drop in at the 3 min drop would sound fantastic.....but I guess you haven't been able to get your hands on Femme Fatale VST yet.

It has lots of great stuff in there

A vocal drop would be good. You should tell the wife "I'm nearly finished - just need a vocal drop - sing, a few bars into this mike and we can go to bed" - a vocal drop and we can all go to sleep.

My neighbour has just come round to tell me to turn the music down :(

I've got a female vocal vst thing, but have been caning it - so decided to lay off it lol - will have to get a new one soon with some different voices.

Pity to hear about the neighbor - it's the bane of learning music :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Hey man i really like this one,love the disjointed rhythm in the intro.
    i did feel it took too long to get into any real meaty elements(3 minutes til the bass shows up)

i like the bass,maybe a lil too wide as its just not coming slap down the middle.

lead synth is great,great movement and it all comes together really well.

id love to hear the melody rise though as it progresses as well as the bass.

maybe the introduction of an arp towards the end.

i think you cold maybe get 2 main breakdowns in there if you wanted to have the melody rise,althugh maybe that euphoric sound isnt what your going for.

really like the sounf of your tracks lately,seems like youve got a good style developing

seannash wrote: »
    Hey man i really like this one,love the disjointed rhythm in the intro.
    i did feel it took too long to get into any real meaty elements(3 minutes til the bass shows up)

i like the bass,maybe a lil too wide as its just not coming slap down the middle.

lead synth is great,great movement and it all comes together really well.

id love to hear the melody rise though as it progresses as well as the bass.

maybe the introduction of an arp towards the end.

i think you cold maybe get 2 main breakdowns in there if you wanted to have the melody rise,althugh maybe that euphoric sound isnt what your going for.

really like the sounf of your tracks lately,seems like youve got a good style developing

Yeah, i did have a rolling bass at start - it then turned into an acid line, so will have to watch out for that and keep something in tracks to keep them warmer at start. I didn't want the track to be very melodic - trying to get away from progressive - the next tracks will probably have less and work on more sparse/buried... Cheers for comments... really trying to get rhythm sorted and weirding it out as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Yeah, i did have a rolling bass at start - it then turned into an acid line, so will have to watch out for that and keep something in tracks to keep them warmer at start. I didn't want the track to be very melodic - trying to get away from progressive - the next tracks will probably have less and work on more sparse/buried... Cheers for comments... really trying to get rhythm sorted and weirding it out as much as possible.
    i think it was just my oldschool trance loving side coming through there.can definitely see why you dont wanna go too melodic:)

Advertisement