Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Neurojazz wrote: »
    I've got a female vocal vst thing, but have been caning it - so decided to lay off it lol - will have to get a new one soon with some different voices.

Pity to hear about the neighbor - it's the bane of learning music :(

I'm in displacement activity mode. I've just learned some great new techniques (new for me at least) but I haven't got down to building any tracks, yet. Listening to the same tune for hours and trying to fix bits, is a bit of an ordeal.

So, i drank some beer - and one minute it was 8 oclock in the evening - next thing it's gone 2 in the morning and my little neighbour is knocking on my door.

I don't know about those VST vocal plug ins - I've got some ideas but haven't put them into practice yet. I have an idea that I can make robot generated human voices sound more human - by making them sound like malfunctioning robots. Something like your malfunctioning robot in the breakdown of Trial of Error. Robots become more human through malfunction - they lose their coldness and start breaking up because of emotion..

Anyway - I know I have to get down to a good few painful hours to hack out a method.....and that's what I'm avoiding through displacement activity, like posting on boards and drinking -cheap cider tonight.

Does anyone know, what it's called when you put the clap on 5 and 12 - instead of 5 and 13. There is a name for the beat - but i can't remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭dasdog

Hi guys,

If you get a mo, have a listen to this track that I remixed. Let me know what you think.

http://soundcloud.com/rockshamrover/trifle-remix-not-really-rockshamrover

Cheers.

Rock

I'll probably get slated for this but I think it needs more bass...not production wise but as in another different bass sound talking/answering back to the main tune every now and again. It's really good and I don't listen to dubstep much at all but it would be better with some more dirty low range confusion causing trouble.

Starfox wrote: »

The breakdown - 2 min to 4 on Mello Yello is Epic. It's really gorgeous.

The other bit are terrible. - terrible in contrast to the break. It would be a great 2 min intro - but it needs to drop into something more.

The break is really gorgeous - I'm going to listen to it again for the 4th or 5th time.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Hey guys, looking for feedback for my new remix, played it out on friday night and it seemed to get a good reaction.

http://soundcloud.com/steve-donaldson/alberto-ampezzi-anaconga-stephen-donaldson-remix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

SteveDon wrote: »
    Hey guys, looking for feedback for my new remix, played it out on friday night and it seemed to get a good reaction.

http://soundcloud.com/steve-donaldson/alberto-ampezzi-anaconga-stephen-donaldson-remix
    comments on the cloud man,sounds tops as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

cheers sean, thanks so much for the feedback, glad you like the piano riff, been teaching myself a few scales on the aul keyboard glad they came in useful, as for the hats i think u may be right there but ive sent it off now for mastering so just gonna have to leave it as it is

SteveDon wrote: »
    cheers sean, thanks so much for the feedback, glad you like the piano riff, been teaching myself a few scales on the aul keyboard glad they came in useful, as for the hats i think u may be right there but ive sent it off now for mastering so just gonna have to leave it as it is
    piano riff is great man,develops nicely too.love that its not just a loop of a piano,seems like you played it the whole way through the buildup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Here's one of the first tracks I made, but never finished, although I want to come back to it now. At the moment I wouldn't play it out, so looking for advice on what to do to turn it into a club friendly track...

http://www6.zippyshare.com/v/19551943/file.html

Okay so a while back i promised id upload the parts to a remix id done

this one
    http://soundcloud.com/seannash/enrique-iglesias-feat-pitbull-i-like-it-sean-nash-kassiano-remix

so heres the file with all the samples in it

http://www.mediafire.com/?7e6zohr8jne5j3k

its got 2 folders in it.
    the first one contains all the samples with the processing on the master turned off and also sidechain compressors turned off aswell as panning for alot of them

the second folder contains all the samples with the master chain turned on aswell as the panning,volume and compressors set up the way i have it done in the mixdown

theres also an mp3 of the remix

i couldnt include the vocals for copyright legal reasons but that was all i used from the sample pack i was given for the remix

at the very least i guess you could just grab the drum hits out of it:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Nice1 Sean, that's class

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazyatom

seeing as everyone is at it today... posted up two new tracks - Crystal Glass and Dark Skies, up on Soundcloud. part of my unfinished stack, but probably closer to finished than most. actually surprised to find them there in that state. don't remember working on them in a hell of a long time... :confused:

any comments welcomed.

http://soundcloud.com/the-noobian-prince/the-noobian-prince-electronic-ladyland-dub-minimal-128bpm

This is a culmination of few new techniques I've just picked up.

IT CONTAINS ABSOLUTELY NO MELODIES - And you can't hear the bass through laptop speakers.

It probably needs reworking into tighter tracks.

The levels may be off - the bass is really big on my speakers - may be too big.

My next thing will be to build a few tighter tracks using a lot of the same techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

KRD, i think it needs a lot of mastering, get the bass and kick sounds nice and pumping

and maybe add some lfo'd delays and a long high eq low volume reverb to the robotic/voice samples

I like the trippieness of it

here's something i made recently, the title is an understatement :)

http://soundcloud.com/cloudysound/unfinished

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

lazyatom wrote: »
    seeing as everyone is at it today... posted up two new tracks - Crystal Glass and Dark Skies, up on Soundcloud. part of my unfinished stack, but probably closer to finished than most. actually surprised to find them there in that state. don't remember working on them in a hell of a long time... :confused:

any comments welcomed.

had a quick listen there - imo crystal glass could do with a much deeper kick, maybe layered with a kick that has a bit of wood (eq that really full synth line to give the kick a bit of space

same could be said for dark skies, try a diff kick, or at least make more space for it... this ones got a great bit of pace. i know they're both rough, a better mix will bring out the best in them

good work mr president !

any comments welcomed.

I listened to the stuff. It's mostly experimental electronica. You should make a Mix/Mixtape mix of it - about 30 min long - whatever you like. And put in a few samples of a robot voice saying "Radio Android" like Radio Soulwax.

Sometimes I play back stuff on soundcloud and I have absolutely no recollection of doing the stuff either. And I only ever make music stone cold sober. I really have no idea how some stuff got there.

KRD, i think it needs a lot of mastering, get the bass and kick sounds nice and pumping

and maybe add some lfo'd delays and a long high eq low volume reverb to the robotic/voice samples

I like the trippieness of it

here's something i made recently, the title is an understatement :)

http://soundcloud.com/cloudysound/unfinished

Yeah, the mastering. I have to work on that. Means really I should switch to my proper monitors. Do eq'ing lessons. Thanks for your advice - I'll give all those things a try.

I'm going to give my robot girls a rest and try something melodic next.

Your Unfinished piece. I'm to knackered to think about anything to say - you could always try the Delay Lama if your stuck.

Here's one of the first tracks I made, but never finished, although I want to come back to it now. At the moment I wouldn't play it out, so looking for advice on what to do to turn it into a club friendly track...

http://www6.zippyshare.com/v/19551943/file.html

I'm not anyone to give advice on this. As I don't DJ and my stuff is not up to the standard to get played.

There's a lot to it. And there are no hard and fast rules. It's been driving me up the wall. The more I find out, the more I learn there is to it.

One thing, many DJs like everything in their set to sound roughly the same. If you look at Stephen Donaldson's Anaconga back on the thread, you'll see he's using the most fashionable sounds of the minute. Anything put together with the same sounds, will probably fit his DJ set and many other DJs. Use different sounds and you're track will not get used. DJs can be very conservative. If everyone is playing Reebok and your track sounds a little too Adidas it won't get played.

Grimey, if you re-build your track with the same sounds he's using it's one step towards making it Club Friendly.

The Club Friendly Arrangement:

There are no hard and fast rules - but there are things that are done. And they're done differently by different people.

The intros and outros are so one record can get played into another.

The general rule is they should be neutral - nothing too obtrusive - no crazy rhythm changes. the kicks should be light so they don't phase on each other.

Your Intro can go on for 16 bars - On 7 minute club tracks, I've noticed it can go 4 batches of 16 (2 minutes roughly) before it drops into "the real intro" - the non neutral intro - then into a climax and then into an outro that can go on for another another 4 batches of 16 with ever increasing neutrality until it finishes. There are lots of little neutral things that can sound really amazing when a DJ mixes one record onto another (this is not the DJ being a genius - whoever made the two records was a genius enough to put these things in)

If you're using all the coolest sounds of the moment - little stabs of them will work really well in the intros and outros as similar records are played in on top of each other. It can sound absolutely seamless. Like the DJ is magically making the tracks fit. Where it's really that they've picked two records that have been well produced with the latest sounds - made to easily fit.

There are all kinds of amazing things that can be done in Intros and outros that sound like nothing by themselves but when mixed with other records can sound amazing.

The "real track" of an 8 minute club friendly record may actually just be 2 minutes long - 6 minutes of intro and outro.

Long drumless melodic Intros: Goa trance that originated in Goa. A very hot place. Hot enough to make vinyl warp and become unplayable. They use to use tapes (c60s c90s). So they'd play a long outro over a drumless into - the outro would drop before hitting the drum intro of the incoming track - long psychedelic drumless section - then the drums would come in. No one would notice the tracks weren't beat matched or in time or whatever.

Anyway - that's sum of my current knowledge.

krd wrote: »
    The Club Friendly Arrangement:

There are no hard and fast rules

first rule of Club Friendly... you DO NOT talk about Club Friendly!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

first rule of Club Friendly... you DO NOT talk about Club Friendly!!! :)

He is bang on though. :)

• Advertisement

Cheers for the advice man, but I think you misread the question, or I phrased it badly, more likely. I DJ all over town, so I know how to make a track easy for a DJ to mix, it's not the arrangement I wanted to make club friendly, more the synth sounds and stuff. To me that synth is really interesting, and I really like it, but it's really weird and jarring in a way too, so that it couldn't really be played in a club, if you know what I mean.

Cheers for the advice man, but I think you misread the question, or I phrased it badly, more likely. I DJ all over town, so I know how to make a track easy for a DJ to mix, it's not the arrangement I wanted to make club friendly, more the synth sounds and stuff. To me that synth is really interesting, and I really like it, but it's really weird and jarring in a way too, so that it couldn't really be played in a club, if you know what I mean.

I was writing that as much for my own benefit - if I write things down, I can remember things better. It's either that or get a tattoo gun and write notes on myself.

As you know yourself - you can't get away with Jarring.

It depends on what you're playing. Do you have a set up on sound cloud? - could you post a link?

The sounds Stephen Donaldson's using are classic house organ stabs - very smooth sounding - for his synths (apart from the sound in the intro - some kind of squashy synth sound) . And some piano - the piano style you might call New Jack Swing - or you might not call it that.

Apart from the piano run at the big breakdown - he's using 1 bar or 2 bar loops of the vocals - sax - and organs stabs. The main piano thing is 1 chord one bar - next chord next bar - back again - and then something slightly different on the 4th bar.

The drums - 909 hi-hat on the inbetweens (1.1.3, 1.2.3, 2.1.3, 2.2.3). The first hi-hat is quiter - and there's some kind of ride doing quiet sixteenths the whole way through. The kick is 1,2,3,4 - the clap is on 2 and 4. Only in the 4th bar or 8th bar does he do anything fancy - like double up kicks - or do a clap run - or drop the kicks. But the drums are kept very simple - because too much is too much. Some parts he's just dropping the kick on the 4th/8th bar.

Instead of using cymbal hits - he uses short noise sweeps. (Maybe Sean Nash put a bunch of noise hits in his pack for download - they can be made but some people are better at making them than others - Thanks Sean - haven't gotten around to downloading it yet)

So if you took your track - replaced the synth with organ stabs or even try bits of piano or mix it. If you have ableton - you don't need a house organ plugin - just a stab to drop in the sampler or simpler.

"Re-imagine" the track as fitting into your set.

If something sounds jarring. Stop the DAW. Play it back in your head - you have an instinct for knowing what's jarring. Try to imagine it fitting - your brain will play it back to you so it fits - then you should be able to consciously know exactly what you need to change. Or you might not. You may want to kick the ****** thing around the room.

I like Stephen Donaldson's track. It's very well put together - lots of simple ideas that work very well. (for some reason I don't like the first 16 bars - I don't know - I think the synth stab should have had more variation or come in slower - the stab is fine and works well across the song but something about the first 16 bars puts me off - I have no idea - it's just not as good as the rest of the track.)

This mix is pretty much a good idea what I play: http://www.mixcloud.com/frankiegrimes/from-disco-til-dawn-summer-10-mix/

What springs to mind to make it less jarring is to take that synth down an octave or two, and maybe filter it a bit, and make it the bassline. Then I suppose I could throw in some stabs to fill in the gab in the mids...Not sure though.

- Thanks Sean - haven't gotten around to downloading it yet)
    well i did promise:)

i only just got my mac back this week,sorry it took so long.

like i said in the post the drum hits might be useful for some people

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭synesthesia

Hey CloudySound I like your track !

And gimme a sign when u find that EQuing classe - i need one of those as well ahaha

anyway,

i just post this one for fun : http://soundcloud.com/synesthesia/roam-the-maze
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

seannash wrote: »
    well i did promise:)

i only just got my mac back this week,sorry it took so long.

like i said in the post the drum hits might be useful for some people

:) Thanks Sean - I knew you'd come through - now I can build my Sean Nash kit in Ableton. I think I'll call it The Nashvilliser.

:) Thanks Sean - I knew you'd come through - now I can build my Sean Nash kit in Ableton. I think I'll call it The Nashvilliser.
    has a nice ring to it alright

nice track. quirky as hell. would love to be able to do something as pared down and minimal like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭dasdog

Using 3 VST's from the Resources link. Scare at Bedtime if anyone remembers.

http://soundcloud.com/dasdog/flushlavatory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

Yeah, the mastering. I have to work on that. Means really I should switch to my proper monitors. Do eq'ing lessons. Thanks for your advice - I'll give all those things a try.

I'm going to give my robot girls a rest and try something melodic next.

Your Unfinished piece. I'm to knackered to think about anything to say - you could always try the Delay Lama if your stuck.

ah yeah, decent monitors are your main answer (not that im a pro in the EQ'ing and mastering game myself, far from it :D)
    but the difference in quality in my own mixes when i want from behringers to dynaudios was instantly noticeable

the unfinished thing is just a basic idea, there's no structure or anything to it yet - dunno why i threw it up tbh! i think it might've been late

i have the delay lama alright, cheers for the link anyway

Advertisement