Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

this tune ends prematurely, amateur exporting error

http://soundcloud.com/cloudysound/the-horror-error-ends-early

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

It's fine as a piece of music - There's stuff you could add or take away - maybe a few cymbals at some point. A little organ run. A mini breakdown in the middle at about 2 minutes. The drums are more or less constant through out it a little break just before the drum fill at 2.15 my break them up.

There's nothing really wrong with it. It depends on what you want to do with it.

What do you want to do with it?

Are those samples from a Doors documentary? Is that drum sample a doors sample?

They're good samples - you could use them again for other stuff - little phrases. Clips of women talking about sex and drugs are always fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭dasdog

Idi Amin knows that getting drunk isn't good for public relations

http://soundcloud.com/dasdog/spread-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

The beginning sounds like the start of what could be a brilliant d'nb'track but it goes in to a bit of a glam rock beat, it justs sounds a bit odd with the beat underneath it at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

dasdog wrote: »
    Idi Amin knows that getting drunk isn't good for public relations

http://soundcloud.com/dasdog/spread-2

Not really doing it for me, sorry. Fail to see what Idi Amin spouting off about Isreal has got to do with Clowen. Apart from that, I think sometimes the samples are fighting against the tune and there's not enough going on to really give it a lift. Hope I'm not sounding too harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭dasdog

Not harsh at all it's honest commentry.

The link between the two (if needed) is the rambling of Amin on the virtues of sobriety. Second half of this where the sound dulls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_OMtl89rvw

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazyatom

new track, concrete snow, available for anyone who's interested. it's a dub techno electronica ambient atmosphere effort.

i wish i could pick a genre and nail it.

krd wrote: »
    It's fine as a piece of music - There's stuff you could add or take away - maybe a few cymbals at some point. A little organ run. A mini breakdown in the middle at about 2 minutes. The drums are more or less constant through out it a little break just before the drum fill at 2.15 my break them up.

There's nothing really wrong with it. It depends on what you want to do with it.

What do you want to do with it?

Are those samples from a Doors documentary? Is that drum sample a doors sample?

They're good samples - you could use them again for other stuff - little phrases. Clips of women talking about sex and drugs are always fun.

yep, im a sucker for spoken word samples!

thanks for the feedback

the sample's indeed from a doors doc from a youtube clip, http://listentoyoutube.com/ is a good friend to me

what i meant by not finished...i must've dragged the end marker back just before i exported, so it just cuts 3/4 way through - not that im saying it is finished either, if ya get me...

the day i finish a tune will be a happy one :D

the drum sample was in the guru pack iirc, im not one for using drum samples or any samples besides voices usually

The beginning sounds like the start of what could be a brilliant d'nb'track but it goes in to a bit of a glam rock beat, it justs sounds a bit odd with the beat underneath it at the moment.

i think i will give it a re-whirl someday

yeah the beat... it's like a sampled "swing rock 101" beat from the guru package (i think)....it was because of it being a doors sample i wanted to give it a kind of bluesy beat/bass combo, but i hear ya

i dont really like using samples other than vocals in tunes usually

cheers for the input!

lazyatom wrote: »
    new track, concrete snow, available for anyone who's interested. it's a dub techno electronica ambient atmosphere effort.

nice mellow tune

great bass sound, the tune is hypnotic but not in a "**** me this is boring" way i found, which i unfortunetely seem to find myself thinking about a fair amount of stuff floating around these days

plus, it's never bad to be experimental but i do know what you mean...as in 'finding your sound'...as corny as that phrase may be

• Advertisement

There's lots of interesting sounds in there and good techniques. That stuff is a genre in itself. It's what people would listen to when they couldn't cop with listening to any more drums. And some times other music can become so predictable it becomes torturous.

Nailing a genre can be boring as well as difficult. There are popular sounds at the moment - if you can't nail them perfectly your music will just not sound right. It can be very painful trying to figure them out.

But then people are releasing stuff - that does not fit into neat genres and is actually quite weird. Go listen to kompakt - German label. I was listening to their stuff recently and it just completely really messed up many of my preconceptions. Now I'm seriously confused. I was really surprised by what they do and what they've been doing - and they actually have an audience for this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Left some comments on that concrete snow track on soundcloud.

Looking for some feedback on this number, started it last night and finished it today. Not sure what genre it is, its a kind of dubstep/2step/garage style thing. Really happy with it anyways, wonder what you guys think!?

http://soundcloud.com/steve-donaldson/dump-valve-tombola-320mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

SteveDon wrote: »

Looking for some feedback on this number, started it last night and finished it today. Not sure what genre it is, its a kind of dubstep/2step/garage style thing. Really happy with it anyways, wonder what you guys think!?

nice. loving that sound right now.
    Lose the marimba (think it's a marimba. sounds like a marimba) though. all imo of course.

jtsuited wrote: »
    nice. loving that sound right now.
    Lose the marimba (think it's a marimba. sounds like a marimba) though. all imo of course.

Cool glad you like it, yeah im really getting into this kinda sound in a big way too.

What sound exactly do you mean though? Can you tell me what time it comes in at?

Cool glad you like it, yeah im really getting into this kinda sound in a big way too.

What sound exactly do you mean though? Can you tell me what time it comes in at?

He probably means the break at 2.40 - when the xylophone thingimy comes in. I think it works.

I like it. But I think your hi-hats are off .

And you could do with some ghost notes on the kick and little 16th kick runs (you start from from zero and ramp them up)

You need a little variation to stop it sounding like Bossa Nova

This Deep House Dubstep crossover reminds me of soulful Drum'n'Bass.

Just listening to it again - the Hi-hats sound fine to me now. I like the tune - I've listened to it a few times.

There's lots of interesting sounds in there and good techniques. That stuff is a genre in itself. It's what people would listen to when they couldn't cop with listening to any more drums. And some times other music can become so predictable it becomes torturous.

Nailing a genre can be boring as well as difficult. There are popular sounds at the moment - if you can't nail them perfectly your music will just not sound right. It can be very painful trying to figure them out.

But then people are releasing stuff - that does not fit into neat genres and is actually quite weird. Go listen to kompakt - German label. I was listening to their stuff recently and it just completely really messed up many of my preconceptions. Now I'm seriously confused. I was really surprised by what they do and what they've been doing - and they actually have an audience for this stuff.

thanks for the comments folks. all advice taken on board.

yeah, been a big fan of Kompakt for years. some of my favourite music of is from that label (more the early years :cool: yeah...) but i know what you mean. those guys take pared down sounds that shouldn't be music and make stonking tracks outta them. the Tresor thing is something i have always wanted to emulate... the relentless rhythms and syncopated beats that build monuments of sound out of little else. astonishing stuff.

haven't a clue what sounds are 'in' right now and wouldn't even know where to look, being honest.

brilliant track. it definitely harks back to the early days of d'n'b and Omni Trio/Adam F's sound, that lovely soulful sound (as KRD mentioned). i like the xylophone sound myself, though i thought the stutter within it was a little off-putting. otherwise it's a top notch, top class track.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

SteveDon, that track really impressed me. Very clever in many ways .... it had instant likeability .... and I think most stuff I listen to these days is ****e, so that's a massive compliment!! :)

Thanks for such positive feedback guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

i thought this had potential, if it were me,i would take out that arpeggio bit that comes in at the start and continues trough, i would loose that altogether and maybe bring the track down to a slower bpm, allowing the parts to breath more, less is more as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

My latest one, its a rework of Koyo. Been working on this track for a few weeks since I finished the original. Wanted to give it a darker, heavier vibe but ran into problems with the EQ'ing and clipping issues (mainly due to the bass). I've finally got it all sorted out and finished! Any feedback is much appreciated ;)

http://soundcloud.com/cloud-10/koyo-harder-edge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

DarkJager wrote: »
    My latest one, its a rework of Koyo. Been working on this track for a few weeks since I finished the original. Wanted to give it a darker, heavier vibe but ran into problems with the EQ'ing and clipping issues (mainly due to the bass). I've finally got it all sorted out and finished! Any feedback is much appreciated ;)

http://soundcloud.com/cloud-10/koyo-harder-edge
    really really nice,great elements in that track man.

left a few comments on SC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

seannash wrote: »
    really really nice,great elements in that track man.

left a few comments on SC

Thanks for the listen and the suggestions on the track Sean, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

Agreed, that's class. Did you play and record the guitar yourself or is it a sample or vst?

Agreed, that's class. Did you play and record the guitar yourself or is it a sample or vst?

There's a guitar on that track?

Sure you don't mean the Marimba?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Here's my entry for the Boards remix. I was late for the original thread so posting here for anyone that wants to have a listen.

Cheers

http://soundcloud.com/rockshamrover/duderstadt-sunrise-rockshamrover-remix

Ooops. I posted the wrong link to the remix competition.

I was bleary eyed this morning.

http://soundcloud.com/the-noobian-prince/the-noobian-prince-sunrise-duderstat-noobophonic-remix-140bpm

If the list is closed - I'd be happy to stay off it (I don't want to be top of the list)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Ooops. I posted the wrong link to the remix competition.

I was bleary eyed this morning.

http://soundcloud.com/the-noobian-prince/the-noobian-prince-sunrise-duderstat-noobophonic-remix-140bpm

If the list is closed - I'd be happy to stay off it (I don't want to be top of the list)

A bit late ;) - the next one is harder, but should be able to get it sorted quicker :)

• Advertisement

Neurojazz wrote: »
    A bit late ;) - the next one is harder, but should be able to get it sorted quicker :)

I think you misunderestimate where people have skills. I'm missing skills I don't even know I don't have. Some stuff that may be very easy to you - can be really difficult to other people.

Thanks for running the competitions. They're something to work towards for building skills and stuff..

Advertisement