Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭barry711

Hey this is my first post here. I'm known pretty well by a good few members on this site already from the days i had my old youtube channel.

Anyway so as the title says its just my second attempt. I'm only using FL 9 with little skills in music production, I've been using it for about a year now. . Also i'd be keen to meet some liked minded people who are trying to produce this kinda of trance (if there are any) or anyone really who likes old trance music. So the track needs to be mastered etc etc but its just an idea i'd like to see what some people ideas are on it.

Cheers Gang,

Bar.

http://soundcloud.com/barry-bourke/trance-track-1

This is something I was working on, Its like an old house/breakbeat tune at least thats what I was aming for. Its just a sample its not finshed. All the piano is done by me on the piano roll in FL 9 just using my ear. I never played the piano in my life. I asked Roy Sidney Reid aka (Ellis Dee) If I could use a sample of his and he agreed and said once I finshed the track that I could send him a copy and he would have a listen and give me some pointers :pac:

I'm looking at creating a synth lead for it, its taking time because its a whole new style for me to which I have no pervious experience to call on. But i'll get there!

So here it is,

http://soundcloud.com/barry-bourke/track2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

got bored today, and since ive had the safety dance stuck in my head for the best part of the last year, it seemed the obvious choice (ahem)

so, my reworking of the most annoying of 80s hits

http://soundcloud.com/h3lx/saulpieman-safetydance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

barry711 wrote: »
    This is something I was working on, Its like an old house/breakbeat tune at least thats what I was aming for. Its just a sample its not finshed. All the piano is done by me on the piano roll in FL 9 just using my ear. I never played the piano in my life. I asked Roy Sidney Reid aka (Ellis Dee) If I could use a sample of his and he agreed and said once I finshed the track that I could send him a copy and he would have a listen and give me some pointers :pac:

I'm looking at creating a synth lead for it, its taking time because its a whole new style for me to which I have no pervious experience to call on. But i'll get there!

So here it is,

http://soundcloud.com/barry-bourke/track2

It does sound very convincingly like an old house tune - you probably could stretch what you have there into a full tune just by dropping bits in and out.

It sound just a little fast to me (don't worry - tomorrow I'll hear it and think it's too slow)

Thanks krd.

Its at 133bpm But I did originally have it at 130, so i'm alternating between the two untill I can decide what sounds the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Okay, got the computer and I've finished this track off before starting in on the next remix comp:

http://soundcloud.com/android-78/bring-down-the-government

Sort of a tech house / melodic techno kindo of thing. Let me know what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Another 2 steppy thing we did in about 5 hours this evening, really happy with it, would be interested to see what you guys think!

http://soundcloud.com/steve-donaldson/dump-valve-intern-320mp3

SteveDon wrote: »
    Another 2 steppy thing we did in about 5 hours this evening, really happy with it, would be interested to see what you guys think!

I like the brass - Where did you get them?

What you could try - I don't really know how to do this - The breakdown that starts 3.40 ends around 4.09. Drop the breakdown on a fill before it drops back into the main. Sometime a little unpredictable sounding, that sounds just a little too soon. like peak on the buildup - then into a quick shuffle type thing - then drop it into the section you already have there.

Also you could use more than one snare - for little fills

But it's up to yourself - your tracks are a lot slicker than anything I can do.

Nicely Done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Great track steve,
    Love the horns in it(where are you getting these samples from?)
    everything works really well.
    only improvements i can think of would be to change the drums a little every so often,maybe a few little fills here and there.

pretty great for 5 hours work:)

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    Great track steve,
    Love the horns in it(where are you getting these samples from?)

Maybe it's Acid loops and he doesn't want to say.

http://soundcloud.com/the-noobian-prince/the-noobian-prince-walk-like-an-acid-panther-retro-trans-schranz-128bpm

It's kind of a retro acid trans thing. I'm pretty happy with it. I jammed it live on Ableton for about 20 min - then cut it down to 6.52 - could probably lose another 50 seconds.

I tried something that I'm surprised works really really well - I tuned the kick to the bass line and the kick fits much better with the melody.

I also tried to have most of the track in 90% of the Dynamic range so it wouldn't sound burnt.

I like it - It's got a Panther sample - and some experiments with my drumming.

No cymbals and no white noise swooshes.

Really like that krd, would be nice though if you had something happening around the 6 minute mark - it gets a tiny bit repetitive.

That's a really sweet track, can't believe you got that together in 5 hours. Like everyone else said the brass samples are lovely.

Really like that krd, would be nice though if you had something happening around the 6 minute mark - it gets a tiny bit repetitive.

Well you should have heard it when it was 20 minutes.

Honestly, I don't really know what I was thinking. I did the whole thing very quickly. I really should have done something with the last minute - think I ran out of steam.

I can hear plenty of things wrong with it now - I'll know better next time.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. The sax samples are actually from the Maschines in built library, theres over a hundred or so little sax licks in the library, i just piece together ones that seem to go with eachother and adjust the pitch so it fits in with the track. Also add a bit of verb and delay for good measure.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. The sax samples are actually from the Maschines in built library, theres over a hundred or so little sax licks in the library, i just piece together ones that seem to go with eachother and adjust the pitch so it fits in with the track. Also add a bit of verb and delay for good measure.

Cool, you have a Maschine.

How do you build you're tracks? Do you create your samples and then jam with the maschine live?

Are you building everything in the Maschine software?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

great track

steve, lovin the sound of those drum beats
    just wondering what you mainly use for drums, guru, fl - reaktor maybe?
    any tips on some plugins your fond of for enhancing them?

the drums are sparkling clear like, well professional sounding - any tips much abliged

cheers/

here's a track i made a while back

http://soundcloud.com/cloudysound/future-groove

here's a track i made a while back

http://soundcloud.com/cloudysound/future-groove

Where'd you get that vocal sample?

It's on a minimal mix I have - I love Dutch guys trying to do American accents - there's always a little Dutchness sneaks its' way out.

el cohenhead (not sure if i posted this before)

http://soundcloud.com/cloudysound/el-cohen

• Advertisement

krd wrote: »
    Where'd you get that vocal sample?

It's on a minimal mix I have - I love Dutch guys trying to do American accents - there's always a little Dutchness sneaks its' way out.

i just found it out of complete randomness looking up for spoken word wavs a good while back

Cool, you have a Maschine.

How do you build you're tracks? Do you create your samples and then jam with the maschine live?

Are you building everything in the Maschine software?

Well everything i have posted up here has been exclusively made on the Maschine. That includes sequencing. For someone that was used to using hardware but wanted all the possibilities of software its completely perfect.

It comes with a 5gb library so a ****load of samples to choose from. Good thing about the samples it came with is that they are almost all one shot type samples. Which suits me perfect, I have never used a loop in my productions, I see a lot of people doing it, i kinda think its cheating in a way.

I tend to build my tracks in different ways. Typically i may start with getting a bit of drums together. Then throw on some bass etc etc. Sometimes i try to start by making the peak of the track first then work from there.

great track

steve, lovin the sound of those drum beats
    just wondering what you mainly use for drums, guru, fl - reaktor maybe?
    any tips on some plugins your fond of for enhancing them?

the drums are sparkling clear like, well professional sounding - any tips much abliged

Just using maschine for the drums as said before. I really try to put as much time into making the drums sound clear as possible especially for these two step tracks. I dont do anything special really. I pick each drum shot individually and once ive got a kick for example i will try to get a clap that works well with that kick i will never settle for something then just move on. I will stick a little bit of verb on every drum sound ( not all the time though) and i will vary the colour of the verb on every drum sound so as its not exactly the same verby sound, so it sounds like its filling up more of the spectrum. Also getting your levels right on each drum sound is really important, so take time mixing your drum kit!

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

oh how I love my maschine. good shtuff steve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Hi folks,

Another dance track up on soundcloud. See below.

http://soundcloud.com/rockshamrover/spark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

I like most of it BUT. Most of it sounds really good and I like it BUT.

The lead you use. The one you start the track with - to my ears sounds terrible. Like one of those childrens whistle things where you move up and down the plunger to make that whistle sound.

I think the track would sound much better if you used a different sound.

In my opinion it ruins what could be a perfectly good track. - The rest of the parts sound much better.

Hi folks,

Another dance track up on soundcloud. See below.

http://soundcloud.com/rockshamrover/spark

You've been picking up this stuff pretty quickly.

Some of those synths are really good. I'm using free plugins and don't really know how to synthesise (that's how to use the controls to make classic sounds) I wish I did but I don't.

What you've got going on there is a mixture of tribal tech trans and straight little dirty psychedelic trans (trans is short for trance - it's from so many European nationalities garbling it - it has finally, for the moment at least become trans(even some Germans calling it schranz music - completely meaningless word - but that's how they heard it). And Trance refers to something completely different ) The tribal stuff is where you use bongos and stuff - the psy trans are the bits where you didn't and you used the bass as the percussive instrument. But the high hats and the kick and structure weren't right on those bits - psy trans uses driving hi-hats and kick - If you could get the structure and hi's and kicks right, you basically have releasable psy trans. (then you can tell us in detail how you did it - so we can make our own convincing psy trans tracks)

Psy trans is the music played to scuzzy young people who like to stay up all night dancing, and take speed and acid - to keep them going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

You've been picking up this stuff pretty quickly.

Some of those synths are really good. I'm using free plugins and don't really know how to synthesise (that's how to use the controls to make classic sounds) I wish I did but I don't.

What you've got going on there is a mixture of tribal tech trans and straight little dirty psychedelic trans (trans is short for trance - it's from so many European nationalities garbling it - it has finally, for the moment at least become trans(even some Germans calling it schranz music - completely meaningless word - but that's how they heard it). And Trance refers to something completely different ) The tribal stuff is where you use bongos and stuff - the psy trans are the bits where you didn't and you used the bass as the percussive instrument. But the high hats and the kick and structure weren't right on those bits - psy trans uses driving hi-hats and kick - If you could get the structure and hi's and kicks right, you basically have releasable psy trans. (then you can tell us in detail how you did it - so we can make our own convincing psy trans tracks)

Psy trans is the music played to scuzzy young people who like to stay up all night dancing, and take speed and acid - to keep them going.

Hi KRD,

Thanks for having a listen and commenting again in such detail.
    as usual you are a mine of information, I wouldn't know a fraction of all that stuff. I've no idea what separates the different genres or how to tell one from the other just be listening.

This track is made with all the stock Logic synths and drums (ultrabeat)

I used a trick you told me about a while back, I reversed part of the beat, it's the piece that sounds like Japanese drums.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

tune i made ages ago, may as well make use of the space on my soundcloud

http://soundcloud.com/cloudysound/piszaboutin-cliche-house-bass-thing

Advertisement